Not quite sure *UPDATE* sort of

Options
MsGebby
MsGebby Member Posts: 659
edited April 2012 in Breast Cancer #1
what to think ...

SOOOOOOOO

I've been in limbo since I posted last. Here's the scoop ... I went to an endocrinologist because my primary care doc didn't seem too concerned about my A1C climbing from 6.2 to 7.2 in 6 months. I figure there should be SOME concern, right? While at the endo's he noticed I had some difficulty swallowing. He checked my neck and thyroid region and found a lump. He sends me for an ultrasound on Monday. I picked up the report today and don't know how concerned "I" should be. It says "complex nodule with presence of vascularity in the mid pole....." It's over 1cm in size.

Of course, I use the internet to figure out what this could mean. It sounds like there is a good likelihood this nodule is cancer.

I haven't heard from the endo yet but I plan on calling tomorrow to get to the bottom of this. I figure I will be told I need an FNA to figure out what this all means.

I don't know if I should cry or just skip away and not let it bother me. Oh fudge ... I'm bothered!

Keeping fingers crossed on this one.

=================================================================================

I think I am pissed. I did leave a message for this doctor to call me so we can discuss the ultrasound of my thyroid. I get a call after 5PM and find myself talking to a admin asst. She tells me that NO REPORTS are discussed over the phone. I have to make an appointment. She notes I have a set appointment for 5/24 but IF I NEED to come in she can bring me in 2 weeks sooner. She basically sounded like it would be nuts for me to come in just 2 weeks earlier than this set appointment WHICH was made to check on my blood glucose levels. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I need a drink. A very large, strong drink.

Oh well ... I should've known this was going to be a "not so urgent" issue. But still ... now I have 5 weeks to worry about what is going. WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Comments

• weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    Options
    Fudge is right
    I would be bothered also, internet can scare the cajebeez out of you!
    Try not too read into it until you find out whats going on...easier said then done...right.
    Please let us know as soon as you find out, prayers coming your way.
    Lots of HUGS....Karie
  • ThycaAnne
    ThycaAnne Member Posts: 68
    Options
    Been there, done that......
    My first cancer was thyroid cancer in 2010. The Endo should suggest an FNA. If he doesn't, I would insist. I had one of those nodules that was "probably nothing--let's watch it for 6 months". I insisted on an FNA that came back "suspicious". I had that surgery & then complications (LONG story....) & a second emergency surgery hours later to correct the first one. I had my surgery at a non-cancer hospital because it was supposed to be a really easy surgery. Needless to say, when it came time for the RAI (standard treatment for thyca), I self referred to MDAnderson & had my treatments & subsequent every-6-month bloodwork, etc., tests there. It is because I was already a patient there that when my mammo came back abnormal, I got in pretty fast to the undiagnosed breast cancer clinic at MDA. I got diagnosed in December, had my lumpectomy & rads (brachytherapy) in January. So evry 6 months I will continue to be at MDA for testing in the endocrine department & now the breast oncology department, as well. I can tell you that thyroid cancer is VERY slow growing. But I would definitely insist on an FNA--the sooner the better so you can decide on a course of treatment. Hopefully, yours will be benign--& I will pray that it is!! About 80% of them are benign.

Keep us posted.

Hugs,

Anne
  • MsGebby
    Options
    ThycaAnne said:

Been there, done that......
    My first cancer was thyroid cancer in 2010. The Endo should suggest an FNA. If he doesn't, I would insist. I had one of those nodules that was "probably nothing--let's watch it for 6 months". I insisted on an FNA that came back "suspicious". I had that surgery & then complications (LONG story....) & a second emergency surgery hours later to correct the first one. I had my surgery at a non-cancer hospital because it was supposed to be a really easy surgery. Needless to say, when it came time for the RAI (standard treatment for thyca), I self referred to MDAnderson & had my treatments & subsequent every-6-month bloodwork, etc., tests there. It is because I was already a patient there that when my mammo came back abnormal, I got in pretty fast to the undiagnosed breast cancer clinic at MDA. I got diagnosed in December, had my lumpectomy & rads (brachytherapy) in January. So evry 6 months I will continue to be at MDA for testing in the endocrine department & now the breast oncology department, as well. I can tell you that thyroid cancer is VERY slow growing. But I would definitely insist on an FNA--the sooner the better so you can decide on a course of treatment. Hopefully, yours will be benign--& I will pray that it is!! About 80% of them are benign.

Keep us posted.

Hugs,

Anne

Hi Anne
    I absolutely plan on insisting for the FNA if he does not bother to order it for me. I guess having just gone through the wringer for breast cancer has made me so much more weary and skeptical of the way doctors treat. They all have "their way".

I see my new MO next Thursday and will make mention of this ultrasound and show him the report.

May I ask if you know much about complex nodules? The report also states the isthmus is complex with vascularity as well.

If I don't learn as much as I can about these possible diseases, I would feel like a dummy listening to the doctors. I NEED TO KNOW! I understand that thyroid cancer is a rare type. But I am nervous because I have already been diagnosed with one type of cancer.

Anyway, your words mean a lot to me and I thank you.

Live well sister

Mary
  • MsGebby
    Options
    weazer said:

Fudge is right
    I would be bothered also, internet can scare the cajebeez out of you!
    Try not too read into it until you find out whats going on...easier said then done...right.
    Please let us know as soon as you find out, prayers coming your way.
    Lots of HUGS....Karie

Thank You Karie
    Prayers are most welcome at at time like this.

Mary
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options
    I agree with talking to your MO
    We've all been through enough already we don't need or want to be jerked around.

Waiting sucks, start with the new MO, I bet you get some help.

Keep us posted,

Jennifer
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    grams2jc said:

I agree with talking to your MO
    We've all been through enough already we don't need or want to be jerked around.

Waiting sucks, start with the new MO, I bet you get some help.

Keep us posted,

Jennifer

Glad you have an MO appointment!
    This is one time that already having an oncologist is a good thing. What's routine protocol in an endocrinologist's practice should be different for someone who is already a cancer patient! I get phone calls all the time with test results. You shouldn't have to wait 5 flippin' weeks. Your MO will take care of you, either by reassuring you that there is nothing to be concerned about at this point or ordering further diagnostic tests or talking to the endo.

I, too have a thyroid nodule, about the same size as yours. Been watching it for quite a few years and it hasn't changed as of November of 2010. Still doesn't mean I don't think about it from time to time, even tho it's probably just fine. I hope yours is fine, too. I had a FNA maybe 10 years ago. It is not a bad procedure at all.

Here's to your nodule being just a nodule - no cancer. If it is cancer, thyroid cancer is usually very treatable. We still never ever want to hear those words again - and if we do, we want action taken immediately!

Hugs,
    Suzanne
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

Glad you have an MO appointment!
    This is one time that already having an oncologist is a good thing. What's routine protocol in an endocrinologist's practice should be different for someone who is already a cancer patient! I get phone calls all the time with test results. You shouldn't have to wait 5 flippin' weeks. Your MO will take care of you, either by reassuring you that there is nothing to be concerned about at this point or ordering further diagnostic tests or talking to the endo.

I, too have a thyroid nodule, about the same size as yours. Been watching it for quite a few years and it hasn't changed as of November of 2010. Still doesn't mean I don't think about it from time to time, even tho it's probably just fine. I hope yours is fine, too. I had a FNA maybe 10 years ago. It is not a bad procedure at all.

Here's to your nodule being just a nodule - no cancer. If it is cancer, thyroid cancer is usually very treatable. We still never ever want to hear those words again - and if we do, we want action taken immediately!

Hugs,
    Suzanne

DON'T WAIT!
    No way would I wait 5 weeks! Have your oncologist get in touch with the endo before your appointment so he'll have a better understanding of what's going on.....Anything " new" should be regarded as suspicious until ruled out...and to me, 5 weeks is to long to wait!

Mary, I wish you the best...we care, deeply
    Hugs, Nancy
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    MsGebby said:

Hi Anne
    I absolutely plan on insisting for the FNA if he does not bother to order it for me. I guess having just gone through the wringer for breast cancer has made me so much more weary and skeptical of the way doctors treat. They all have "their way".

I see my new MO next Thursday and will make mention of this ultrasound and show him the report.

May I ask if you know much about complex nodules? The report also states the isthmus is complex with vascularity as well.

If I don't learn as much as I can about these possible diseases, I would feel like a dummy listening to the doctors. I NEED TO KNOW! I understand that thyroid cancer is a rare type. But I am nervous because I have already been diagnosed with one type of cancer.

Anyway, your words mean a lot to me and I thank you.

Live well sister

Mary

Mary,

You have some good advise here and am glad that you will be seeing your oncologist this week. You can always stop by your endocrinologist office and request the notes from your appointment with him. You paid for them, they have to give them to you.

Best,

Doris
  • Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668
    Options
    MAJW said:

DON'T WAIT!
    No way would I wait 5 weeks! Have your oncologist get in touch with the endo before your appointment so he'll have a better understanding of what's going on.....Anything " new" should be regarded as suspicious until ruled out...and to me, 5 weeks is to long to wait!

Mary, I wish you the best...we care, deeply
    Hugs, Nancy

Nodule
    Hey Girl, I'm sorry about this nodule and I don't want to give you any false hope but I had exactly the same thing and it turned out the biopsy rets were negative. Mine is just a nodule. I'm praying for you and please let us know how this turns out.

Thank you so much for all of your prayers for me.

Hugs and God Bless,

Dawne
  • MsGebby
    Options
    I have the report
    and the CD. That's how I know what size the nodule is and that it is complex. The isthmus is also showing vascularity and is complex (also 1.2 cm). I know that there is a great possibility that it is benign. But like you all have stated, it is not easy waiting for an answer when you already have cancer.

I am going to bring the report and CD to the MO appointment. I do hope he can figure out the next move. I want the FNA. At least having that done will give me some sort of answer. I can see the lump when I swallow. It is smack dab in the middle of the thyroid. Right in the that soft hollow in the front of the neck.

I am also having muscle spasms all of a sudden. AND...Arimidex is making me feel so old. All of this together makes me want to scream. I know my situation is not nearly as worrisome as a lot of my sisters, so I feel guilty even mentioning it. My former MO has a lot to do with this feeling. She made me feel like my thoughts/worries were unwarranted. I am almost at the point where I am afraid to speak about any other symptoms I have. Hopefully this new doctor will give me signs that it's OK to feel the way I do sometimes.

I hope I don't have to bring up the PET scan that I am due for. Those pesky lung nodules and the lymph nodes in my neck are an issue that are being monitored. So with everything that may be happening, I am a wreck.

Forgive me for laying this out there. I just need to get it off my chest..

Thanks EVERYONE! I am so glad I found YOU! Thank You Thank You Thank You

Mary
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    MsGebby said:

Thank You Karie
    Prayers are most welcome at at time like this.

Mary

Sending prayers for you
    Sending prayers for you Mary.

Hugs, Kylez
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    SIROD said:

Mary,

You have some good advise here and am glad that you will be seeing your oncologist this week. You can always stop by your endocrinologist office and request the notes from your appointment with him. You paid for them, they have to give them to you.

Best,

Doris

I couldn't wait that long.
    I couldn't wait that long. I would be nuts by then. Please make them see you asap.

Good luck,

Angie
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    MsGebby said:

I have the report
    and the CD. That's how I know what size the nodule is and that it is complex. The isthmus is also showing vascularity and is complex (also 1.2 cm). I know that there is a great possibility that it is benign. But like you all have stated, it is not easy waiting for an answer when you already have cancer.

I am going to bring the report and CD to the MO appointment. I do hope he can figure out the next move. I want the FNA. At least having that done will give me some sort of answer. I can see the lump when I swallow. It is smack dab in the middle of the thyroid. Right in the that soft hollow in the front of the neck.

I am also having muscle spasms all of a sudden. AND...Arimidex is making me feel so old. All of this together makes me want to scream. I know my situation is not nearly as worrisome as a lot of my sisters, so I feel guilty even mentioning it. My former MO has a lot to do with this feeling. She made me feel like my thoughts/worries were unwarranted. I am almost at the point where I am afraid to speak about any other symptoms I have. Hopefully this new doctor will give me signs that it's OK to feel the way I do sometimes.

I hope I don't have to bring up the PET scan that I am due for. Those pesky lung nodules and the lymph nodes in my neck are an issue that are being monitored. So with everything that may be happening, I am a wreck.

Mary

not all nodules are cancerous.
    Just keep thinking that while waiting. Your MO should be able to tell you a lot and if your endocrinologist is dragging his feet unnecessarily the MO will probably light a fire under his butt. Be sure and tell him how you feel about this approach to your care and that you think 5 weeks of wait is too long. This way he will either give you the answer or make the endochinologist hustle his kiester up and get you in sooner.
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    MsGebby said:

I have the report

Mary

PET Scan
    A PET scan could help with information if the nodes in your lungs and neck are cancerous. If they are not, then it would be a good idea to ask for a biopsy of the one in the neck.

I am sorry you are still having problems with Arimidex. I didn't have to many problems with Arimidex after I got use to using it. I didn't have the joints or bones pains that I had on Femara. There was the regular problems but, with medicine one has to expect a few. It is worth taking in the long run, Mary.

Hoping your new oncologist will be very helpful to you.

Let us know,

Doris
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    SIROD said:

PET Scan
    A PET scan could help with information if the nodes in your lungs and neck are cancerous. If they are not, then it would be a good idea to ask for a biopsy of the one in the neck.

I am sorry you are still having problems with Arimidex. I didn't have to many problems with Arimidex after I got use to using it. I didn't have the joints or bones pains that I had on Femara. There was the regular problems but, with medicine one has to expect a few. It is worth taking in the long run, Mary.

Hoping your new oncologist will be very helpful to you.

Let us know,

Doris

Gentle hugs, and prayers for you Miss Gebby!
    I sense your anger and frustration -- so, with that being said -- call your doctor's
    office every a.m. to check if there is a earlier appointment (5/24) is too long to WAIT,
    I don't care what part of the country you reside in ... UGH!

Call everyday !!!!!!

Vicki Sam
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Gentle hugs, and prayers for you Miss Gebby!
    I sense your anger and frustration -- so, with that being said -- call your doctor's
    office every a.m. to check if there is a earlier appointment (5/24) is too long to WAIT,
    I don't care what part of the country you reside in ... UGH!

Call everyday !!!!!!

Vicki Sam

I have to agree with Vicki
    I have to agree with Vicki Sam as to keep calling every day and bugging them to get you in earlier. That is just unacceptable to make you wait that long and I am so sorry Mary.

Positive thoughts and prayers,

Megan
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    MsGebby said:

I have the report

Mary

Gentle hugs and lots of
    Gentle hugs and lots of prayers!

Sue :)
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    FWIW
    I had DCIS in Jan 2009 (lumpectomy & rads) and then a thyroid lump in mid 2010. Of course, I got worried and scared. I had a FNA after ultrasound and the biopsy was benign and we drained the fluid filled cyst which is what was really visable. A year later it was bigger and ugly so we did a ultrasound to make sure there were no changes and removed that side of my thyroid. 6 months later, I have no regrets. The decision was mine--I had time off and medical insurance and I wanted it _gone_.

Unfortunately I am now having another breast biopsy after a "suspicious" mammo but we all hope that this will be a temptest in a teapot.

Maureen
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    What?
    How incensitive of that assistant. Can you call and ask the doctor to call you directly, no assistant? I would take the appointment 2 weeks earlier if you can. Why wait if you don't have to. I'm sorry you are going through this. I am diabetic too. Luckily my A1C is good (6.5) but my doctor checks it every three months. I fired my endo as when I went there my A1C went up and my sugars were all over the place. I went back to my PCP and we handle it together. If you need a FNA wouldn't they be doing it right away? Here is a sneaky way to talk to your doctor. Call after hours and ask the answering service to have him call you. If they ask for a reason just say you recently saw him and have some questions and he hasn't called you back yet. It may get you to him. Sneaky I know but it may work. My doctors don't have a problem calling me personally so I don't know whay they won't. I live in MA too. Good luck and God Bless.

Terry
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    MsGebby said:

I have the report

Mary

I would want to scream to
    I would want to scream to Mary. I am so very sorry for all of this. And, I can't believe that any doctor would expect one of us to wait that long.

Hoping that your new doctor will treat you better and that you will feel much more comfortable with him.

You vent all you want, you have a right to.

Hugs, Lex