Options
2»

Comments

• Billie Mimi
    Billie Mimi Member Posts: 16
    Options
    karen1951 said:

hi billie.....i am so sorry
    hi billie.....i am so sorry you are faced with this....i am stage IV as well...diagnosed in aug 10.....my cancer has spread all thru out the peritoneal cavity....i have a colostomy as wall. and my ca125 has been as high as 1384...my onc. told me that if the gemzar i'm on doesn't work that we are running out of options.
    as far as the end...i've had the priviledge of being at the bedside of my beautiful mother, my father in law and my mother in law when they passed....all three were peaceful ...especially my mom...i always said if death could be called beautiful...her's was.
    but i think you and i are thinking along other lines....we want to live our life as fully to the end but are afraid to. i have booked my entire family on a four night vacation to st. maarten at the end of april. i should be so excited , but all i can think of is the "what if's??? i have pains in my upper abdomen, the fatigue is maddening, and i'm constantly out of breath from the pleural effusion. like you, my house is my comfort zone ... i feel better here than anywhere. on the other hand....consider the memories you may be passing up....i say book the cruise and take out the cancellation insurance....maybe you could consider a trip a little closer to home....the thought of a transatlantic flight sends me into a tailspin just thinking about it. my mission at this point is to create a fabulous memory for my family....i want them to look back and remember a great trip we ALL were able to take together...something that hasn't happened in over 10 years....and hope that will put a smile on their faces . only God knows when he will take us....it's up to us to choose how to spend our remaining days. my prayers are with you....i hope you GO !!!! xoxo...karen

Hey Karen,
    I am so happy you

Hey Karen,
    I am so happy you replied. I have read some of your posts and I thought the same thing... you and are in in a very similar boat. And we do have similar attitudes about living our lives fully. I am not going to sit on my duff and whimper. I don't see many woman on this site that do! Isn't that inspiring.
    I know the feeling when they tell you there aren't a lot of options. Hey, that is okay. I was already feeling done in with chemo anyway. I want to feel good and I feel so much better without it. And if it doesn't work, I just don't see the point.
    Thanks for sharing the experience with your Mother, Mother in law and Father in law. Death is not something I am afraid of. My Hubbie on the other hand, watched his Mom suffer greatly at the end of her battle, 20 years ago and he is so afraid of seeing me go through what she did, but it was a completely different scenario. I have read to him what most of you have said in response to this post and he does feel better. I am a happy person and try to maintain it as much as possible. This is my next great adventure and while I will miss...(am missing)everyone, I get an idea of whats ahead of me and I think it is joyful.
    I think going on a big family trip to St. Martin is perfect! I have been there once on a cruise and it was the most serene place I have been. Perfect lagoons and very low key, laid back people there. You will love it. I would much rather do that than go on the Italian cruise be ourselves. It just seemed, well, too much money and too bitter sweet. We are having parties instead! LOL! I am having a party next Saturday because my oldest son, his wife and my two oldest grandchildren are coming for spring break. CAN'T WAIT! We live in Florida about 1 mile from the beach so we are doing the beach and having a BBQ. I am trying to secure a giant water slide for the kids to play on and renting a cotton candy machine and sno-cone machine! Yea... so its expensive too but who cares. I'd rather have 5 parties and blow them out than spend a week cruising Italy.
    SO, don't you worry, I am making some memories!
    You are going to do great. Don't worry. Just hold on to the idea of how wonderful that trip is going to be and it will. I remember pulling into the port at St. Martin just as the sun was coming up... birds flying along the ship and singing... early morning cool breeze in your face... a new adventure.
    XOXO you too!
    Billie
  • lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Tethys41 said:

Creating your own reality
    UT2012,
    I understand that there is some sort of comfort in knowing all there is to know. On the other hand, there is what is known as the nocebo effect. This is the opposite of the placebo effect where the patient improves with no real treatment, simply because she thinks she is receiving a proven treatment. The nocebo effect causes the patient's condtion to deteriorate merely due to the patient's belief that she will get worse. I chose not to have the discussion with my doctor about my prognosis. My case was not good, my disease was very aggressive, stage IIIc, my surgery suboptimal. I wrestled with many issues most ovca patients don't, like recurring ascites for two months following surgery, a staph infection of the peritonemum, and severe malnutrition. But I focused not on what was going wrong, but on getting better. I did get better. I've been finished with chemo and NED for over two years. I feel better now than I have for years. I later found out from by brother that the doctor was giving me less than a year, at the time of my surgery. So glad I didn't know that at the time.

Dear Billie
    I so admire your strength, courage and grace. I hope you have a ton of fun with your family next Saturday!

Kelly
  • jbeans888
    jbeans888 Member Posts: 313
    Options

Dear Billie
    I so admire your strength, courage and grace. I hope you have a ton of fun with your family next Saturday!

Kelly

Billie I think you are brave
    Billie I think you are brave for asking this question. I also am curious to know and never knew how to ask it. I was dx Feb 28th 2011 stage 3c. Stay strong and positive and live life. If your up to it I say go on the cruise and just hey the insurance. I always buy insurance now when I go on a plane because I just don't know. Your beautiful by the way.