My favorite is Drummer Boy then O Holy Night
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    alexcc said:

My favorite
    My favorite is Drummer Boy then O Holy Night

just heard Christmas Shoes
    just heard Christmas Shoes while on my lunch...in my car...
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    O Holy Night sung by Luciano
    O Holy Night sung by Luciano Pavarotti. My late father-in-law used to play it every Christmas. It is so beautiful that it makes me cry.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

My favorite is "O Come All
    My favorite is "O Come All Ye Faithful".

When I was a little girl ,maybe 4 or 5 years old, I was singing that song to my mom and dad. I stood tall and sang, "O come all ye faithful, joyful and umphant." My mom looked at me and said "Triumphant, sweetheart." To which I replied, " I AM trying umphant!"

So that song always is in the front of my favorites list.

Chen, that is freakin
    Chen, that is freakin adorable! :-)
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Oh Holy Night.
    Oh Holy Night.

I love Oh Holy Night

I love Oh Holy Night
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    For we need a little Christmas, right this very minute...
    For this year, the song is “We need a little Christmas”. I first heard this song in the musical “Mame” on broadway a long time ago. Angela Lansbury and Bea Arthur were the stars.

“Haul out the holly
    Put up the tree before my spirit falls again
    Fill up the stocking
    I may be rushing things but deck the halls again now”

My parents have had their lives turned upside down. One had a very nasty break in a femur and due to age is slowly healing. The other deals with has congested heart failure and trips to the ER are so frequent. They have had a long, productive lives. It still doesn’t make it easy watching them struggle with their new circumstances of leaving their home, moving. At their age, they shouldn’t have to make so many new adjustments.

“For I've grown a little leaner
    Grown a little colder
    Grown a little sadder
    Grown a little older”

I’ve been off hormonal therapy for my widespread lungs and lining metastasis since last spring when progression showed failure of the drug. My plans are to restart the drug again. I had a ct scan yesterday which showed progression along with many more tumors, and bone mets. I have so many other medical issues. At times, I do want to throw myself a “Pity Party”. So this year, I feel this song is very apropos.

“And I need a little angel
    Sitting on my shoulder
    I need a little Christmas now”
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    aysemari said:

Hmmmm
    I know - Baby it's cold outside...

no idea what the title is or who sings it.
    But gosh darn it, I LIKE it (:

Hugs,
    Ayse

Baby, It's Cold Outside
    Love that song too, Ayse!

Anyone else hear Ben Folds and Sara Bareilles murder it on The Sing-Off Christmas special last night? It's supposed to be flirty and sexy (i.e., it's NOT a song about the weather! :-), but instead they made it this artsy piece that sounded like 2 people singing completely different songs in different rooms. They're both good singers, but this just wasn't it....

My favorite version of it is still the Glee duet from last Christmas....:-)

Traci
  • TraciInLA
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Baby, It's Cold Outside
    Love that song too, Ayse!

Anyone else hear Ben Folds and Sara Bareilles murder it on The Sing-Off Christmas special last night? It's supposed to be flirty and sexy (i.e., it's NOT a song about the weather! :-), but instead they made it this artsy piece that sounded like 2 people singing completely different songs in different rooms. They're both good singers, but this just wasn't it....

My favorite version of it is still the Glee duet from last Christmas....:-)

Traci

More on "Baby, It's Cold Outside"
    For all you "trivia geeks" out there (like me!):

Ayse's question got me curious, so I Wikipedia'd "Baby It's Cold Outside" -- it was written in the 1940s for the songwriter's wife, and they used to perform it together at parties. She was apparently furious when he sold it to MGM, because she considered it "their" song (bet he had to buy her a nice big piece of jewelry for that one!).

It premiered in the 1949 musical "Neptune's Daughter," where it was sung by TWO couples: Ricardo Montalbán and Esther Williams, and Red Skelton and Betty Garrett, who actually sang the man's part (quite scandalous for 1949!). The song earned an Academy Award that year.

I'm a huge fan of MGM musicals, so "Neptune's Daughter" is now in my Netflix queue!

Traci
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    SIROD said:

For we need a little Christmas, right this very minute...
    For this year, the song is “We need a little Christmas”. I first heard this song in the musical “Mame” on broadway a long time ago. Angela Lansbury and Bea Arthur were the stars.

“Haul out the holly
    Put up the tree before my spirit falls again
    Fill up the stocking
    I may be rushing things but deck the halls again now”

My parents have had their lives turned upside down. One had a very nasty break in a femur and due to age is slowly healing. The other deals with has congested heart failure and trips to the ER are so frequent. They have had a long, productive lives. It still doesn’t make it easy watching them struggle with their new circumstances of leaving their home, moving. At their age, they shouldn’t have to make so many new adjustments.

“For I've grown a little leaner
    Grown a little colder
    Grown a little sadder
    Grown a little older”

I’ve been off hormonal therapy for my widespread lungs and lining metastasis since last spring when progression showed failure of the drug. My plans are to restart the drug again. I had a ct scan yesterday which showed progression along with many more tumors, and bone mets. I have so many other medical issues. At times, I do want to throw myself a “Pity Party”. So this year, I feel this song is very apropos.

“And I need a little angel
    Sitting on my shoulder
    I need a little Christmas now”

My 2 favorites are Oh Holy
    My 2 favorites are Oh Holy Night and the Christmas song, sung by Nat King Cole. Mary did you Know runs a close second to Oh Holy Knight.

Traci I grew up with MGM movies and love watching them. I would get all the movie star magazines and coloring books. I go way back to Betty Grable. I loved June Haver, Jane Powell, Debbie Reynolds, Vera Ellen and Esther williams just to name a few. They were movies with simple plots but the there was so much dancing and singing and romance and glamour. Growing up with MGM movies was a magical time for a little girl. I guess as magical as the Disney Princesses are today, however we did have Snow White and Cinderella.

White christmas and Easter Parade are 2 of my favorite musicals.
  • SIROD
    Options
    natly15 said:

My 2 favorites are Oh Holy
    My 2 favorites are Oh Holy Night and the Christmas song, sung by Nat King Cole. Mary did you Know runs a close second to Oh Holy Knight.

Traci I grew up with MGM movies and love watching them. I would get all the movie star magazines and coloring books. I go way back to Betty Grable. I loved June Haver, Jane Powell, Debbie Reynolds, Vera Ellen and Esther williams just to name a few. They were movies with simple plots but the there was so much dancing and singing and romance and glamour. Growing up with MGM movies was a magical time for a little girl. I guess as magical as the Disney Princesses are today, however we did have Snow White and Cinderella.

White christmas and Easter Parade are 2 of my favorite musicals.

Musicals of the 1950's
    Hi Natly,

You grew up in those same era I did. How I love those old musicals. I remember the movie magazines and love to baby sit at one of the hair dressers home. She tell me to read the magazines in her shop after the kids were in bed.. She had them all. I had a feast reading about Debbie, Liz and Eddie. I loved the movie White Christmas and purchased the film in VHS format back when they first became available. The costumes were so beautiful and could some of them dance.

I remember hearing that the Christmas song was written in July. I don't know if it is true but every time I hear it, I think of summer. A good way to cool off in a heat wave.

Best,

Doris
  • SIROD
    Options

O Holy Night sung by Luciano
    O Holy Night sung by Luciano Pavarotti. My late father-in-law used to play it every Christmas. It is so beautiful that it makes me cry.

He could really belt it out!
    I loved hearing Luciano Pavarotti on PBS. O Holy Night is the only song I still remember all the words in French. Though it is hard to sing. When it plays in English on the radio, I sing it in French. No doubt, why I still remember the words. That is of course when there are no passengers in my car.

Doris
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

I got to thinking NO one
    I got to thinking NO one (around here anyhow) goes Caroling..when I was a kid 52 yrs ago we'd all get together at the library and sing our hearts away...everyone from town...NOw nothing...as far as I know..

even my grandsons school does not have concert-play or anything (he's in 2nd grade)

I miss that..

MY kids always had a big event each year..

Denise

With my name, it is easy to
    With my name, it is easy to guess, isn't it? LOL
  • TraciInLA
    Options
    SIROD said:

Musicals of the 1950's
    Hi Natly,

You grew up in those same era I did. How I love those old musicals. I remember the movie magazines and love to baby sit at one of the hair dressers home. She tell me to read the magazines in her shop after the kids were in bed.. She had them all. I had a feast reading about Debbie, Liz and Eddie. I loved the movie White Christmas and purchased the film in VHS format back when they first became available. The costumes were so beautiful and could some of them dance.

I remember hearing that the Christmas song was written in July. I don't know if it is true but every time I hear it, I think of summer. A good way to cool off in a heat wave.

Best,

Doris

Okay, Doris and Cousin Natly, that does it...
    ...I've now added White Christmas to my Netflix queue, too.

I've actually never seen it. I'm so in love with Gene Kelly (seriously, if he were alive and young and knocked on my door today, I would probably leave my girlfriend for him :-), that I tend to gravitate toward his movies. But it's the perfect season for curling up with Bing and Rosemary!

Traci
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

I've actually never seen it. I'm so in love with Gene Kelly (seriously, if he were alive and young and knocked on my door today, I would probably leave my girlfriend for him :-), that I tend to gravitate toward his movies. But it's the perfect season for curling up with Bing and Rosemary!

Traci

I don't like "White
    I don't like "White Christmas". The chorous isn't bzd BUT as a SW FL native it's always been a bit nasty to me. "It's December the 24th and I'm longing to be up North" (first verse) has always come across as a slap at Southerns because we don't have snow everywhere. Even here in SW SD we don't always have a "White Christmas".
  • SIROD
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Traci

Movies
    The difference between today and yesterday is if these actors and actresses led depraved lives, they kept it to themselves. They probably were not perfect people but, you enjoyed everything they did. Who could not love Gene Kelly in "Singing in the Rain"? It is a perfect season for curling up and revisiting Bing and Rosemary by the fire.

Best,

Doris
  • SIROD
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Traci

Movies
    The difference between today and yesterday is if these actors and actresses led depraved lives, they kept it to themselves. They probably were not perfect people but, you enjoyed everything they did. Who could not love Gene Kelly in "Singing in the Rain"? It is a perfect season for curling up and revisiting Bing and Rosemary by the fire.

Best,

Doris
  • SIROD
    Options
    Rague said:

I don't like "White
    I don't like "White Christmas". The chorous isn't bzd BUT as a SW FL native it's always been a bit nasty to me. "It's December the 24th and I'm longing to be up North" (first verse) has always come across as a slap at Southerns because we don't have snow everywhere. Even here in SW SD we don't always have a "White Christmas".

Rather have Palm trees swaying than fir trees full of snow!
    You can come to New England and I will go to Florida. You can have the snow and I'll take the sunshine. My folks and sister live there and I know they don't want the snow, I keep asking them to take it. If I ship it south they will be angry.

However, at times it's been warmer in my neck of the woods than it was in Miami. So says the newspapers. We keep making comments about paying for our lovely weather in spades this year. I hope not. We had the winter from h--l last year.

I did so love the years I spent in Florida for Christmas. Pools, no jacket, just warm sun.

Best,

Doris
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    SIROD said:

Movies

Best,

Doris

I met Gene Kelly on a flight
    I met Gene Kelly on a flight way back when. He was small of stature with a large personality. He was quite congenial and generous with conversation and autographs. I didnt get an autograph but enjoyed talking with him. He looked fresh, young and healthy and I guess he was probably in his late 50's at the time. Must admit I had a crush on him when I was little girl. Oh give me the good old days, MGM movies, singing, dancing, large production numbers, Westmore makeup, Edith Head costumes and glamour.

Ragu I've lived in the north and the south and without question prefer a sunny warm christmas in Florida even tho the movie "White Christmas" continues to be one of my faves.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    BetsyJane said:

Hmmmmmm so many favorites
    A few of my favorites are:

Silent Night
    Oh Holy Night
    Hark the Harold Angels Sing
    Mary Did You Know
    C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S (begins with with: "C" is for the Christ Child born upon this day)

Betsy

P.S. Susie - I love your Christmas tree.

Thanks Betsy! I thought the
    Thanks Betsy! I thought the Christmas tree was cute! lol
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    Mary, Did you Know
    Silent

Mary, Did you Know
    Silent Night in German (my mom use to sing it to us)
    O Holy Night
    Drummer Boy
    Away in a Manger

I just love all of them!