Port vs. no port

Options
2»

Comments

• Melaniedoingwell
    Options
    Infusion Port
    I had a port put in because Moffitt (Hospital) Dr told me to. They are very knowledgeable and trustworthy there so I did.

I have to take a whole year of Herceptin, which is likely why they told me to get the port...
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options

Infusion Port
    I had a port put in because Moffitt (Hospital) Dr told me to. They are very knowledgeable and trustworthy there so I did.

I have to take a whole year of Herceptin, which is likely why they told me to get the port...

I had a port...
    for 8 infusions. I asked around the chemo center and everyone said, "Oh yes, make sure you get one". So I did. No doctor told me that I had to, but I went with the consensus of opinion.
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options

I had a port...
    for 8 infusions. I asked around the chemo center and everyone said, "Oh yes, make sure you get one". So I did. No doctor told me that I had to, but I went with the consensus of opinion.

Port
    My oncologist insisted on a port, mainly because I was going to be taking Adriamycin (as well as Taxotere and Cytoxin). The Adriamycin is hard on the veins, and does so much damage almost immediately upon insertion, he felt that a port would prevent my veins from collapsing. Also, I used the port for blood draws all during the treatment. Personally, if given the choice, I would certainly do it again. (Hopefully it won't be in my future, but IF.) Hugs, Judy
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options

Port
    My oncologist insisted on a port, mainly because I was going to be taking Adriamycin (as well as Taxotere and Cytoxin). The Adriamycin is hard on the veins, and does so much damage almost immediately upon insertion, he felt that a port would prevent my veins from collapsing. Also, I used the port for blood draws all during the treatment. Personally, if given the choice, I would certainly do it again. (Hopefully it won't be in my future, but IF.) Hugs, Judy

Gee Judy,
    I also had

Gee Judy,
    I also had adriamycin, cytoxin and Taxol. I'm kinda upset now for the doc not insisting.
    Anyway I do think a port is the right way to go even though I had a love/hate relationship with mine.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • canoegirl
    canoegirl Member Posts: 169
    Options
    BetsyJane said:

Port
    I had the port put in because my veins are small and can roll. I needed eight chemo treatments along with a year of herceptin (which ends in May 2012). I don't know what I would have done without my port. Before my port, there were times when I was poked and prodded over a dozen times at the oncologist office. They decided I'd better get a port. Even when I went to have my port put in at the hospital, three different nurses tried giving me an intervenous line and could not find my vein. Finally after over half an hour they told me I needed to get a pick. Believe me you never want to get the pick. IT'S HORRIBLE.......IT FEELS LIKE YOU ARE GETTING STUNG BY DOZENS OF HORNETS ALL AT ONCE --- I DID EVERYTHING TO KEEP FROM SCREAMING.....AND THAT'S THE NUMBING INJECTION BEFORE THE PICK.....I dread getting my port taken out next year as I don't want to get the pick EVER again! So hopefully, there will be a nurse there that can find my vein. At another hospital where I had three operations, the nurses found my vein immediately!

Bad veins
    Like BetsyJane, I had my port because they have ALWAYS had problems accessing my veins. I was even told not to bother giving blood anymore by the red cross because my veins were so bad. I had a friend with great veins who had the exact same 8 infussions of ACT as I did and she did it without a port. She did have problems accessing the vein with the last couple of treatments, so if you need more than 4, I'd suggest the port.
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    You've heard the expression
    You've heard the expression "Any port in the storm". Well between the cancer doing it's trick on our bodies and the mix of chemicals to kill the cancer, my vote is "Any port in a storm". Cancer sure is a heavy stormy in our bodies.
  • cupcake7
    cupcake7 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    port vs no port
    I had very tiny veins and dreaded the gouging to find one. When testing MRI etc the techs said , "lady you need a port"...they were right and boy so thankful I got it. Now thats its over and out I miss the pretty little thing...I need to show a picture of it cause it is really pretty, I kept mine. Today my veins are shot...6 months of the chemo fried them and I think that I will have to deal with that from now on. 3 years out from Chemo this month, things lookin good
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    cupcake7 said:

port vs no port
    I had very tiny veins and dreaded the gouging to find one. When testing MRI etc the techs said , "lady you need a port"...they were right and boy so thankful I got it. Now thats its over and out I miss the pretty little thing...I need to show a picture of it cause it is really pretty, I kept mine. Today my veins are shot...6 months of the chemo fried them and I think that I will have to deal with that from now on. 3 years out from Chemo this month, things lookin good

If you had a port , how did
    If you had a port , how did your veins get "fried"?
  • cupcake7
    cupcake7 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Rague said:

If you had a port , how did
    If you had a port , how did your veins get "fried"?

how did veins get fried?
    Well the port just got them in the flowing of chemicals called chemo cocktail fried the veins.
  • sinee
    sinee Member Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    port
    I could guess, the more chemo the more liklihood you are getting a port, and perhaps the stage of cancer has something to do with it, because they expect to do more chemo on you? I had a port, still have it in as a matter of fact, and am going to discuss it's exit when I next see my onco...they can be problematic..although I never had any issues with mine..thank goodness....it does itch every once in a while, arghhh.....hope that helps in some small way, and good for you only 4 rounds of chemo...
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

You've heard the expression
    You've heard the expression "Any port in the storm". Well between the cancer doing it's trick on our bodies and the mix of chemicals to kill the cancer, my vote is "Any port in a storm". Cancer sure is a heavy stormy in our bodies.

You are so right
    You are so right laughs_a_lot!
  • cntgobck03
    cntgobck03 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    I have awful veins, small
    I have awful veins, small and they roll. I can also only use my left arm now. I start chemo on Wednesday and they say it's awful on your veins. They said the port was a definite for me. I agreed.