Port vs. no port

Double Whammy
Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
Just curious, why do some of us get ports and others not? I didn't have a port, but had only 4 infusions of Taxotere and Cytoxin. There were times when I had more than one poke to insert the needle, but they always found access. One time there was an issue and the nurses suggested a pic line, but my oncologist said no and to get the "best" nurse to insert the IV. They did (I guess) and I got my dose of Round Up.

Suzanne

Comments

• beachmom
    beachmom Member Posts: 50
    I've wondered the same
    I've wondered the same thing...I thought I would ask when I went to my appointment this week. I'll let you know what the good doc has to say about it!
  • Mitzi333
    Mitzi333 Member Posts: 511 Member
    beachmom said:

I've wondered the same
    I've wondered the same thing...I thought I would ask when I went to my appointment this week. I'll let you know what the good doc has to say about it!

My vote is for a port...
    I would'nt want to go through this journey without it. I had 6 chemo infusions and continue to have herceptin infusions every 3 weeks until Feb 2012. I'm frightened of neddles and would'nt enjoy all of the pokes. Use of the port is quick and provides easy access. I understand it's just as easy when it's time to remove the port, which I'm looking forward to in a few months.

My thought is... it depends on the number of the infusions/injections in determining the need for a port. Again... the port has been a God send in my situation.

Mitzi ;0)
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    I think it has to do with
    I think it has to do with how many infusions the Survivor will be needing. I had six chemo infusions and a year of Herceptin. I couldn't have gone the distance without my port. Never had problems with it either.
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Hi Suzanne
    My first go round in 2002, and refused a port, I figured 4-8 treatments, I didn't need it. But it was so hard on the veins. This time, after rads and before chemo, there was no doubt I wanted that port.
    I think it is a combination of doctor, treatment and your veins.

Carol
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    I understood
    that it had to do with the number of infusions, (I had 8) and the fact that only my right arm could be used.

Will be interesting to see what others find out,

Jennifer
  • BetsyJane
    BetsyJane Member Posts: 127
    Port
    I had the port put in because my veins are small and can roll. I needed eight chemo treatments along with a year of herceptin (which ends in May 2012). I don't know what I would have done without my port. Before my port, there were times when I was poked and prodded over a dozen times at the oncologist office. They decided I'd better get a port. Even when I went to have my port put in at the hospital, three different nurses tried giving me an intervenous line and could not find my vein. Finally after over half an hour they told me I needed to get a pick. Believe me you never want to get the pick. IT'S HORRIBLE.......IT FEELS LIKE YOU ARE GETTING STUNG BY DOZENS OF HORNETS ALL AT ONCE --- I DID EVERYTHING TO KEEP FROM SCREAMING.....AND THAT'S THE NUMBING INJECTION BEFORE THE PICK.....I dread getting my port taken out next year as I don't want to get the pick EVER again! So hopefully, there will be a nurse there that can find my vein. At another hospital where I had three operations, the nurses found my vein immediately!
  • tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    no port for me
    I had it all in my hands. Can't get a vein in my arms but nice fat veins in my hands. Never had any kind of problem.
  • Dwwilburn
    Dwwilburn Member Posts: 19
    Ports
    My doc didn't offer me an option. He just told me when to show up and get the port inserted. I didn't question it. I am glad I got it. It made the 16 chemo treatments easier. I would do it again. Am I glad it is out now? Yes!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Dwwilburn said:

Ports
    My doc didn't offer me an option. He just told me when to show up and get the port inserted. I didn't question it. I am glad I got it. It made the 16 chemo treatments easier. I would do it again. Am I glad it is out now? Yes!

I did not have a port and
    I did not have a port and had 16 infusions. some hospitals will not give adriamycin through a regular peripheral IV. My hospital did.If the IV leaks it can cause damage into the surrounding tissue particulary with adriamycin (inflitrate) In the end, my veins were pretty worn out and I did mention a PICC. this was because I got very dehydrated and had a low potassium so I needed supplements IV and this helped to ruin my veins. To this day they have still not recovered. so I probably should have had a port but no one knew I would do as poorly as I did.
    I have not seen that a PICC caused the issues you mention, so you may have been unusual.
    If you get herceptin perhaps the port is advisable, not sure what the protocol is for herceptin or how it is on the veins.
    I like that one DW "roundup" great way to think of it! LOL
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    carkris said:

I did not have a port and
    I did not have a port and had 16 infusions. some hospitals will not give adriamycin through a regular peripheral IV. My hospital did.If the IV leaks it can cause damage into the surrounding tissue particulary with adriamycin (inflitrate) In the end, my veins were pretty worn out and I did mention a PICC. this was because I got very dehydrated and had a low potassium so I needed supplements IV and this helped to ruin my veins. To this day they have still not recovered. so I probably should have had a port but no one knew I would do as poorly as I did.
    I have not seen that a PICC caused the issues you mention, so you may have been unusual.
    If you get herceptin perhaps the port is advisable, not sure what the protocol is for herceptin or how it is on the veins.
    I like that one DW "roundup" great way to think of it! LOL

It was explained...
    To me by my oncologist it has to with the amount of infusions one is expected to have..my first go round I had 4 infusions and no port, with one usable arm..good plump veins..no problem until the final infusion...4 sticks...should I have to stop my oral chemo and go back to IV i know it will involve more than 4 infusions so more than likely a port will be needed...

Hugs,Nancy
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    MAJW said:

It was explained...
    To me by my oncologist it has to with the amount of infusions one is expected to have..my first go round I had 4 infusions and no port, with one usable arm..good plump veins..no problem until the final infusion...4 sticks...should I have to stop my oral chemo and go back to IV i know it will involve more than 4 infusions so more than likely a port will be needed...

Hugs,Nancy

Lymph nodes and port
    Since all of my lymph nodes were taken from affected side before Chemo, my breast surgeon suggested to have a port. I am glad that I did. I used it for for both Chemo infusions (6) and blood work during Chemo and radiation and after for bio markersand ect. I think it was a right decision for me since I can use only one hand for I'VE. I was told that Cytoxan can ruin the veins
  • tjohnson2310
    tjohnson2310 Member Posts: 168 Member
    Damage
    Some chemo drugs can damage the skin and underlying tissue so a port is used.
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member

Damage
    Some chemo drugs can damage the skin and underlying tissue so a port is used.

number of treatments?
    I assume it has to do with number of treatments and whether the patient wants a port ... or not. I could not have gotten through chemo without my port. I'm a total chicken when it comes to needles. And ... I LOVE my port. I had 12 weekly treatments of taxol ... then herceptin every 3 week for the rest of the year ... so I know I couldn't have handled all of that poking and prodding. In fact ... my last herceptin was almost 2 years ago and I still have my port. I had to have and endoscopy (sp?) thing ... and they were able to use my port for the anesthetic. I know I need a colonoscopy some time in 2012 ... so I'm planning on keeping my port until then. If that comes back OK ... I will "consider" having my port removed ... but ... truthfully ... I'm in no hurry to be deported.

hugs.
    teena
  • mckevnic
    mckevnic Member Posts: 71
    Swear by the port
    I had a port put in for the 6 rounds of chemo and year of herceptin. My veins, well, they don't exist at all. The port was the best thing! Easy access for infusions, blood work. Now, I did opt for the port to be removed as soon as treatments were over. For me, the port bump was just a constant reminder that I had cancer. I wanted it gone.

I had my port put in at the hospital, was put to sleep, woke up and there it was. To get it taken out....that is different. It was an office visit, local numbing and WIDE awake. Not painful at all but a little freaky feeling the tubing being pulled out of my vein!

Chris
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I had no port for the first
    I had no port for the first round of infusions...on the last infusion some of the chemo leaked and you can still see the path it traveled along my arm.

This time, I've asked my doc about a port. He's ordering one, but my situation is different now. I now have lymphedema in the left side, so no poking around in there. And the right side is now at risk for lymphedema and has already had all that chemo, so no poking around in there. Plus this time will be weekly infusions and weekly blood tests, last time was every 3 weeks.

Why are you asking about ports? Is there something going on that we should know about?

Hugs,

Linda
  • missingtexas
    missingtexas Member Posts: 146
    I had a port...which had to
    I had a port...which had to be removed part way through chemo. It probably has a lot to do with numbers of infusions and how good the venous access is. A lot of facilities will avoid a port if at all possible because there are potential risks with it. Some argue the potential for infection and delayed chemo makes it not worth it if the access is good.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Suzanne
    I'm considered a hard stick and everyone has a hard time getting an IV in me. My onc suggested the port immediately. It was easy to access and I had it removed when I was done. I had 6 rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxan.
    Char
  • Nana C.
    Nana C. Member Posts: 108
    Port for me!
    I did not conder doing without the port for one minute. My lung collaped and I ended up back in the hospital for a few days. It is very rare that it happens, very painful. It was worth it though. I have rolling veins and had enough of needles before we even got stated!

Nana
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Nana C. said:

Port for me!
    I did not conder doing without the port for one minute. My lung collaped and I ended up back in the hospital for a few days. It is very rare that it happens, very painful. It was worth it though. I have rolling veins and had enough of needles before we even got stated!

Nana

No, Linda, it was truly just a curious question

Just so I don't get in trouble for withholding information again, tho, I'm waiting for an MRI appointment. We were gone last week when the referral came in and I couldn't call until Monday. Then I hope I can put this left breast bumpy thing to rest. I will let everyone know when I get results - hoping for an appointment next week.

Suzanne
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413

No, Linda, it was truly just a curious question

Just so I don't get in trouble for withholding information again, tho, I'm waiting for an MRI appointment. We were gone last week when the referral came in and I couldn't call until Monday. Then I hope I can put this left breast bumpy thing to rest. I will let everyone know when I get results - hoping for an appointment next week.

Suzanne

Ok...just had to be sure
    Ok...just had to be sure nothing new was going on. Be sure to let us know when you get the MRI and the results.

How was the trip?

Hugs,

Linda