Thanksgiving

Options

Comments

• osmotar
    osmotar Member Posts: 1,006
    Options

Funny how differently we lose our sense of taste
    my sweet taste exited early, leaving me this horribly magnified sense of sour. I remember having a vitamin c tablet light up my mouth, and being surprised when my mother tasted it and termed it mildly sour. Then, of course, all sense of taste vanished. When my sense of taste began to wake up, the simpler tastes were first. Vanilla. Complex tastes took much longer, and somethings tasted bad for a long time. Chicken dark meat. Funny how I can remember all this 13 years later. It must have been important.

Taste
    My rad doc said things will begin to taste like cardboard, never having eaten any card board in the past, I didn't know whether he meant raw or cooked, corigated or plain..hope cardboard tastes good with gravy and sauces. Sorry my morning humor is a bit warpped :)

Linda
  • jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Liked the Emerson quote
    Jim is on 100% tube still. My family is getting together at the social hall where my mother lives (we are a large family but only half will be there) in order to have enough room. Jim says he will go but I am not sure he will actually go since he tires easily and can't eat. He also has gotten to where he doesn't like to be around a lot of people.

I am thankful for this site and all the help, support and prayers we have recieved. May God bless everyone of you.

Have a happy Turkey DAy.

Debbie
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    jim and i said:

Liked the Emerson quote
    Jim is on 100% tube still. My family is getting together at the social hall where my mother lives (we are a large family but only half will be there) in order to have enough room. Jim says he will go but I am not sure he will actually go since he tires easily and can't eat. He also has gotten to where he doesn't like to be around a lot of people.

I am thankful for this site and all the help, support and prayers we have recieved. May God bless everyone of you.

Have a happy Turkey DAy.

Debbie

Debbie
    I was the same way as Jim for quite some time, it's hard being 100% on the tube. I let everyone eat dinner and then I waited for all the food to be cleared away and then I went up and sat with everyone when they were having coffee and dessert. That didn't bother me as much as the smell and sight of foods.
  • Goalie
    Goalie Member Posts: 184
    Options

Debbie
    I was the same way as Jim for quite some time, it's hard being 100% on the tube. I let everyone eat dinner and then I waited for all the food to be cleared away and then I went up and sat with everyone when they were having coffee and dessert. That didn't bother me as much as the smell and sight of foods.

Am thankful ... and here
    And what a difference a year makes. Last year I was not that sure I was thankful even to be living as each day was a tremendous struggle. We were then in the 8th week of rads and chemo and I had lost 40 pounds. I suppose I should have been more grateful that the weeks of the worst constant vomiting were over and we had discovered how to make protein and carbohydrate milkshakes and drink Boost Plus and so was able to begin to get nutrition again.

My mother and brother were down from New England and other brother and family up from Virginia (we are in Maryland) for the holiday. I am sure that it was on their minds that this might be the last Thanksgiving they would ever see me and why they made the trip.

My neck was raw and I looked like a survivor of a prison camp. While I had been able to start eating a little again, I had earlier in the day had an unfortunate incident in which I ate poorly and ended up once more on the floor with a bucket and was thus prohibited from eating – trying to eat – the Thanksgiving meal. As a result, I was left with an empty plate and a glass full of Boost Plus for my part in the holiday.

But we made it through.

This year, like Nancy and others, I can eat – nearly – anything I want as long as I have sufficient time and water. I have regained practically all of those 40 pounds and am, if anything, in even better shape than before. I play at least three days a week and even play the occasional double header when some other team needs me. I may have a drink or even some wine this year. I can taste most everything and I would bet that I could taste the pumpkin pie. I write this on a business trip to Mexico where I go each month.

And, best of all, my scans have been clean and I can, with some confidence, expect to not only celebrate next Thanksgiving but, one day, to celebrate it at my childrens’ houses. This was largely the “fault” of my wonderful wife as well as my family who carried me through the grim journey in which one’s mortality is more than allegorical. And thanks to you all for your support along the way.

Life is GOOD. Be thankful. Doug
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Goalie said:

Am thankful ... and here
    And what a difference a year makes. Last year I was not that sure I was thankful even to be living as each day was a tremendous struggle. We were then in the 8th week of rads and chemo and I had lost 40 pounds. I suppose I should have been more grateful that the weeks of the worst constant vomiting were over and we had discovered how to make protein and carbohydrate milkshakes and drink Boost Plus and so was able to begin to get nutrition again.

My mother and brother were down from New England and other brother and family up from Virginia (we are in Maryland) for the holiday. I am sure that it was on their minds that this might be the last Thanksgiving they would ever see me and why they made the trip.

My neck was raw and I looked like a survivor of a prison camp. While I had been able to start eating a little again, I had earlier in the day had an unfortunate incident in which I ate poorly and ended up once more on the floor with a bucket and was thus prohibited from eating – trying to eat – the Thanksgiving meal. As a result, I was left with an empty plate and a glass full of Boost Plus for my part in the holiday.

But we made it through.

This year, like Nancy and others, I can eat – nearly – anything I want as long as I have sufficient time and water. I have regained practically all of those 40 pounds and am, if anything, in even better shape than before. I play at least three days a week and even play the occasional double header when some other team needs me. I may have a drink or even some wine this year. I can taste most everything and I would bet that I could taste the pumpkin pie. I write this on a business trip to Mexico where I go each month.

And, best of all, my scans have been clean and I can, with some confidence, expect to not only celebrate next Thanksgiving but, one day, to celebrate it at my childrens’ houses. This was largely the “fault” of my wonderful wife as well as my family who carried me through the grim journey in which one’s mortality is more than allegorical. And thanks to you all for your support along the way.

...the journey in which one's mortality is more than allegorical
    This was a very well-turned phrase.
  • nwasen
    nwasen Member Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    jim and i said:

Liked the Emerson quote

Have a happy Turkey DAy.

Debbie

Turkey Day
    Debbie, tell Jim I can relate. I was alone in my room on Thanksgiving last year as I was tired, sad, and couldn't eat. Facing people was not what I could do that day. Tell him it does get better. I wrote alot of stuff down on a calendar. Go online and just print out each month. I read it now and seems like it was all a bad dream.
    You both have a good day too. Hugs are good.
    peace, Nancy
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options

KFC for dinner.
    Well, that's good that you could eat that and I'm glad the vinegar didn't burn. It's funny, when I lost my taste after 10 treatments and ate Easter dinner that second weekend of rads, I ate way more than usual because I kept trying to taste, and I didn't feel sated because I couldn't taste. I bet I ate twice as much as I normally would have if I could taste. I sure hope you can eat something on Thursday.

KFC
    The first thing I could taste after my second radiation treatment was KFC and for months after it was all I could do to pass up a KFC without stopping. Man that stuff sure tasted good… :+})

Hondo

KFC
  • dales2loud
    dales2loud Member Posts: 45
    Options
    nwasen said:

Turkey Day
    Debbie, tell Jim I can relate. I was alone in my room on Thanksgiving last year as I was tired, sad, and couldn't eat. Facing people was not what I could do that day. Tell him it does get better. I wrote alot of stuff down on a calendar. Go online and just print out each month. I read it now and seems like it was all a bad dream.
    You both have a good day too. Hugs are good.
    peace, Nancy

Hoping for a great Thanksgiving at Mom's
    I'm 3 months past treatment and had started eating pretty good but had a set back last week and a two month bout with "hairy tongue" has started having effects on my taste. I've resorted back to mostly ensure.
    But, I'm alive baby! I've got my family with me this year my son was away last year, I'm playing bluegrass tomorrow night in front of friends and family that I love.
    The lord has blessed me more then I deserve and from time to time I get in a pretty good meal that I do enjoy. I've lost about 60 pounds but I had it to loose.
    I'm thankful for this web-site and the people on it, so Happy Thanksgiving everyone and enjoy yourselves!

And why is this in Red,, don't know?
  • sweetblood22
    Options

Hoping for a great Thanksgiving at Mom's
    I'm 3 months past treatment and had started eating pretty good but had a set back last week and a two month bout with "hairy tongue" has started having effects on my taste. I've resorted back to mostly ensure.
    But, I'm alive baby! I've got my family with me this year my son was away last year, I'm playing bluegrass tomorrow night in front of friends and family that I love.
    The lord has blessed me more then I deserve and from time to time I get in a pretty good meal that I do enjoy. I've lost about 60 pounds but I had it to loose.
    I'm thankful for this web-site and the people on it, so Happy Thanksgiving everyone and enjoy yourselves!

And why is this in Red,, don't know?

Why is what in red?
    I have

Why is what in red?

I have to tell you the hairy tongue thing does not sound like a good time. Hope you get that resolved.
  • Goalie
    Goalie Member Posts: 184
    Options
    Goalie said:

Am thankful ... and here

But we made it through.

got the picture to work
    BTW, my new picture is me a year ago at Thanksgiving when I was 40 pounds lighter. The wine and beer were also not for me but I couldn't cut them from the picture as easily as I could cut them from my life.
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    Goalie said:

got the picture to work
    BTW, my new picture is me a year ago at Thanksgiving when I was 40 pounds lighter. The wine and beer were also not for me but I couldn't cut them from the picture as easily as I could cut them from my life.

Doug
    Wow. You are way thinner there for sure. What a difference a year makes, you look great now.
  • Hondo
    Options
    Goalie said:

got the picture to work

Hi Goalie
    A year sure makes a big difference, amazing how our body can heal. Hope you have the best Thanksgiving this year that you ever had.

Hondo
  • Hondo
    Options
    Thanksgiving

We don’t plan on having a traditional thanksgiving this year but I guess it doesn’t really matter. This year it will be turkey Gumbo as I can eat it a lot better than I can a cooked bird. Some of the families are coming over and I really look forward to having them here with us.

Thanksgiving is a great time of the year but I like to remember all of our friends here and elsewhere who are still going through their treatment and may not be doing so well. May God bless and be with each of you through your trials and look forward to better days next Thanksgiving.

Hondo
  • sue5749
    sue5749 Member Posts: 170
    Options

Thanksgiving....
    Here's to lots of rich food. And the apetite and the ability to eat it.

Hubby can't eat
    Hubby can't eat so this Thanksgiving is surely not going to be the same,
  • sue5749
    sue5749 Member Posts: 170
    Options

Thanksgiving....
    Here's to lots of rich food. And the apetite and the ability to eat it.

Hubby can't eat
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    sue5749 said:

Hubby can't eat

So sorry, Sue. I know how
    So sorry, Sue. I know how much that sucks. He may not be able to eat, but you guys are together and have eachother.

Sending hugs and best wishes.
  • olybee
    olybee Member Posts: 85
    Options
    Hondo said:

Thanksgiving

We don’t plan on having a traditional thanksgiving this year but I guess it doesn’t really matter. This year it will be turkey Gumbo as I can eat it a lot better than I can a cooked bird. Some of the families are coming over and I really look forward to having them here with us.

Thanksgiving is a great time of the year but I like to remember all of our friends here and elsewhere who are still going through their treatment and may not be doing so well. May God bless and be with each of you through your trials and look forward to better days next Thanksgiving.

Hondo

Thank you
    to this forum and to all the great folks that continually share their stories. I think it really helps to read about people that are in the same boat (or have been in the boat and are now in a different ship!)
    Anyway, I hope everyone has a GREAT Thanksgiving, and I know we all have things to be thankful for. I loved the post about the lady who turned to the cancer survivor and said she wished she had his willpower. Yep, I could definitely see me doing something like that.
    Anyway, BEST WISHES TO ALL!
    - kathy
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    olybee said:

Thank you
    to this forum and to all the great folks that continually share their stories. I think it really helps to read about people that are in the same boat (or have been in the boat and are now in a different ship!)
    Anyway, I hope everyone has a GREAT Thanksgiving, and I know we all have things to be thankful for. I loved the post about the lady who turned to the cancer survivor and said she wished she had his willpower. Yep, I could definitely see me doing something like that.
    Anyway, BEST WISHES TO ALL!
    - kathy

Same Boat
    LOL, I am in the same boat, but no longer have cancer.

<<<=== See there I am.....</b>

SKIFFIN16

Looking forward to the many of you that will be in the same boat as me. As well as the many others that have been onboard and now have their own boat. Looking for that rainbow in the sky, for me it was on the water.

Rainbow on the Bay

Happy Thanksgiving,
    John
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Same Boat
    LOL, I am in the same boat, but no longer have cancer.

<<<=== See there I am.....</b>

SKIFFIN16

Looking forward to the many of you that will be in the same boat as me. As well as the many others that have been onboard and now have their own boat. Looking for that rainbow in the sky, for me it was on the water.

Rainbow on the Bay

Happy Thanksgiving,
    John

Rainbows, unicorns and glitter. :) some of my favorite things.
    I love that rainbow picture.
  • susan0803
    susan0803 Member Posts: 90
    Options

Rainbows, unicorns and glitter. :) some of my favorite things.
    I love that rainbow picture.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving
    Just wanted to say thank you again to everyone on this board and Happy Thanksgiving. It's been a year too since my husband finished his treatments and what a long interesting journey it has been. I am thankful that my husband is here, and that we are closer now than we ever were before. I am very thankful for my life, my husband, my family, my friends, my job, my dog and everything else that I am a part of. (Sweetblood - I love your new photo. Not sure when you posted it but you look terrific!)
    Love and Peace.
    Suzanne