Off to the hospital I go

Options

Comments

• Ericalynn
    Ericalynn Member Posts: 200
    Options

Wow
    From hopeless to hopeful!

Chantal can better summarize the specifics, but I can honestly say that my energy,strength,pain,and overall sense of wellbeing has improved 30-50%. by carefully looking at the big picture, these talented folks have already made a huge difference without much risk from new meds etc.

I have a big money bet with Chantal that I'll start whining to get home, but I certainly won't do that in a public forum like this one, so I will gladly stay as long as they want me to without complaint. :)

They reminded me that dogs are allowed here, so maybe a daisy visit....

Love to all,

The real Lee in London

Good News!
    Lee,
    So happy to hear you are feeling better, very encouraging results so quickly. I am hoping that you feel another 50% better tomorrow!
    I am sure a Daisy visit will make you smile. Our dog's name is Honey and I know Honey puts a smile on John's face. When he came home from the hospital they both were so happy to see each other. Again I am so happy you are feeling better! I will be looking for post telling me you are improving every day!!!!
    Love to You and Chantal (Daisy too)!
    Erica
  • TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    Options

Wow

Chantal can better summarize the specifics, but I can honestly say that my energy,strength,pain,and overall sense of wellbeing has improved 30-50%. by carefully looking at the big picture, these talented folks have already made a huge difference without much risk from new meds etc.

I have a big money bet with Chantal that I'll start whining to get home, but I certainly won't do that in a public forum like this one, so I will gladly stay as long as they want me to without complaint. :)

Love to all,

The real Lee in London

Fabulous news!
    Lee,

That's GREAT news :) We are so very happy for you! I've kept Nick informed of your doings. We've both been concerned. Sounds like you're in the right place to receive what you need and get you on the path to a new pain relief regime.

So happy for Chantal as well! You both must have been under a great deal of stress recently. I'm sure your improved well being has lessened that a bit.

Excellent that dogs are permitted where you are. That would have made a big difference for Nick while in hospital for chemo. He was more homesick for the dogs than he was for the kids. Guess it may be because the dogs listen better ;)

Anxious to hear continued good reports. I agree with Erica - hopeful for another 50% better tomorrow too!

Terry
  • JimboC
    JimboC Member Posts: 264
    Options

Wow

Love to all,

The real Lee in London

So glad to hear!
    Glad to hear that you're feeling better Lee. I think that's incredible that they allow dogs. I hope you continue to feel better my friend!
  • NikiMo
    NikiMo Member Posts: 342
    Options

Wow

Love to all,

The real Lee in London

Great news!
    Lee,

So happy to hear you are feeling much better, that must make Chantal feel much better also! Glad to know that you have found a medical team is listening to your needs and that they are getting your pain under control. Make sure Daisy gets to visit soon, I am sure she is missing you like crazy!!

Niki
  • cher76
    cher76 Member Posts: 292
    Options

Wow

Love to all,

The real Lee in London

Wonderful news!
    Lee and Chantal,
    So good to hear that you are feeling better already! I hope they can find answers to the symptoms you have been experiencing. And how wonderful that they will allow pets to visit. "Therapy" dogs are used at our assisted living and memory care centers here out town with great results. Daisy may just prove to be the best medicine!
    XOXO,
    Cheryl
  • chemosmoker
    chemosmoker Member Posts: 501
    Options

Wow

Love to all,

The real Lee in London

I am so happy for you I could just
    Lee and Chantal,

I am SO happy for you and how good you sound that I am practically CRYING.
    Thank God for your going today.

Keep us posted, I am overjoyed. I am looking forward to talking to the REAL Lee in London again on the phone soon when you are out!!

Hang in there, and whine all you want. You have earned that right!!

All my love,

-Eric
  • chemosmoker
    Options
    A special picture for LEE
    http://csn.cancer.org/node/228566

This is for Lee and Chantal from Eric and Michelle.....

Enjoy
  • jojoshort
    jojoshort Member Posts: 230 Member
    Options

Wow

Love to all,

The real Lee in London

Smiles all around
    So glad you are getting relief and that you feel so much better. Sounds like your Palliative care team is right on it for you.
    And I'm for bringing in your dog to visit! Woof!
    Peace,
    Jo-Ann
  • Daisylin
    Daisylin Member Posts: 365
    Options

A special picture for LEE
    http://csn.cancer.org/node/228566

This is for Lee and Chantal from Eric and Michelle.....

Enjoy

Thank you again
    First, Eric, that is priceless, thanks for the early morning laugh. You and Michelle are awesome!

Well, today is the 'big' day, the endocrinologist appointment. We are so looking forward to getting those hot and cold flashes etc taken care of. We have big hopes for this, and if we can just get this under control, we'll be laughing!

Lee had his best day in months yesterday. He is relatively pain free, spirits are up and I saw a wonderful glimpse of the old Lee. He was joking around, laughing and flirting with the poor nurses. He even had some food cravings, but he's on a restricted liquid diet until they do a swallow test today. Go figure, the first time in 2 months that he's actually willing to eat something, he can't!!!

Unfortunately I was only able to have a short visit, as I'm still trying to settle his mom into her new long term care home, but it sure was great seeing him feeling almost 'normal'.

Yesterday as I was leaving they were just coming to get him for an MRI, the nurse did not know what they were scanning, but I assume it was his neck and shoulder area, to determine why he's having that pain. (fingers and toes crossed that it's not mets to the bones) I'm really scared of those results, we just don't need any more disappointments right now.

Anyways, again, everyone, thanks for the love and support. I've been fairly silent on here lately, but I'm reading everything, and praying and celebrating with you all. Hoping to get caught up soon!

Chantal
  • jss2011
    jss2011 Member Posts: 132
    Options
    Daisylin said:

Thank you again
    First, Eric, that is priceless, thanks for the early morning laugh. You and Michelle are awesome!

Well, today is the 'big' day, the endocrinologist appointment. We are so looking forward to getting those hot and cold flashes etc taken care of. We have big hopes for this, and if we can just get this under control, we'll be laughing!

Lee had his best day in months yesterday. He is relatively pain free, spirits are up and I saw a wonderful glimpse of the old Lee. He was joking around, laughing and flirting with the poor nurses. He even had some food cravings, but he's on a restricted liquid diet until they do a swallow test today. Go figure, the first time in 2 months that he's actually willing to eat something, he can't!!!

Unfortunately I was only able to have a short visit, as I'm still trying to settle his mom into her new long term care home, but it sure was great seeing him feeling almost 'normal'.

Yesterday as I was leaving they were just coming to get him for an MRI, the nurse did not know what they were scanning, but I assume it was his neck and shoulder area, to determine why he's having that pain. (fingers and toes crossed that it's not mets to the bones) I'm really scared of those results, we just don't need any more disappointments right now.

Anyways, again, everyone, thanks for the love and support. I've been fairly silent on here lately, but I'm reading everything, and praying and celebrating with you all. Hoping to get caught up soon!

Chantal

whining
    Well Lee, if you start whining to go home that is a great sign that you are feeling better.
    How cool that Daisy will be allowed to visit while you are there, that will be good medicine!
    Hope you are continuing to feel better and actually are able to get some food! Hospital jello yumm!
    Take Care!

Julie
  • LilChemoSmoker
    LilChemoSmoker Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Daisylin said:

Thank you again

Chantal

Chantal sounds much better today!!!
    I am so relieved to hear you in better spirits and with so much hope. Good luck at the endocrinologist office today and we are excited for both you to finally get to the bottom of all of it! Practically pain free is definitely an acceptable zone! Let's have more of that please Dr.s! A little supportive cheer-leading here! Whoot Whoot!

Love you guys!
    Michelle
  • LeeinLondon
    LeeinLondon Member Posts: 103
    Options

Chantal sounds much better today!!!
    I am so relieved to hear you in better spirits and with so much hope. Good luck at the endocrinologist office today and we are excited for both you to finally get to the bottom of all of it! Practically pain free is definitely an acceptable zone! Let's have more of that please Dr.s! A little supportive cheer-leading here! Whoot Whoot!

Love you guys!
    Michelle

Update
    First of all, reduced pain and increased stamina. Energy continues to impress!

We had a great meeting with dr. Stan van Uum, endocrinologist. He prescribed Androgel, a testosterone replacement applied to the skin once a day. Simple, does no harm, and results are seen starting in about a week.. I'm so excited, i just can' hide it. I'm about to lose control and I think I like it!

Anyone have experience with androgel? I'll certainly document this new chapter!

Lee
  • TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    Options

Update

We had a great meeting with dr. Stan van Uum, endocrinologist. He prescribed Androgel, a testosterone replacement applied to the skin once a day. Simple, does no harm, and results are seen starting in about a week.. I'm so excited, i just can' hide it. I'm about to lose control and I think I like it!

Lee

2nd hand experience only
    Lee,

My ex used androgel. It made a *huge* improvement in his attitude, energy, intimacy - his day in general.

If I recall correctly, over time he did develop a skin sensitivity to it, but I think a simple change of thigh made all the difference in the world.

*De*Lighted to hear that you are feeling better. You "sound" better even. You make feel like dancing! wanna dance the night away :) (to continue your theme)

Terry
  • sandy1943
    sandy1943 Member Posts: 824
    Options

Update

Lee

Lee, so glad the new meds
    Lee, so glad the new meds are helping you feel better. Praying for good test results,
    Sandra
  • adube
    adube Member Posts: 63
    Options

Wow

Love to all,

The real Lee in London

YAY
    So glad you're feeling better!! :D
  • chemosmoker
    Options

Update

Lee

Testosterone and STINTS are IN...
    I do the SHOTS of Testosterone Cipronate, not the GEL, but have been told by many the gel works fine. I have been on the T for over two years mow and it is a GODSEND. My ONCO wants me to continue it as it has NO effect on my tumor growth and it makes me happy. Enough said. I know this is a days-old post for now and that you have had some good and bad news since, but I just now saw the question here and wanted to let you know that the GEL and the SHOTS are almost the same in effect-I was offered either. I took the shots after reading-you don't have kids, so you won't be rubbing it off on to your kids. A concern with kids, seriously. Watch Chantal though, if she starts beating you up it may be the gel getting onto he skin! LOL.

All my love as usual, Waiting to hear new news from you two on when you get released and how you are liking the new stint you got!

God Speed
    Eric
  • LeeinLondon
    Options

Testosterone and STINTS are IN...
    I do the SHOTS of Testosterone Cipronate, not the GEL, but have been told by many the gel works fine. I have been on the T for over two years mow and it is a GODSEND. My ONCO wants me to continue it as it has NO effect on my tumor growth and it makes me happy. Enough said. I know this is a days-old post for now and that you have had some good and bad news since, but I just now saw the question here and wanted to let you know that the GEL and the SHOTS are almost the same in effect-I was offered either. I took the shots after reading-you don't have kids, so you won't be rubbing it off on to your kids. A concern with kids, seriously. Watch Chantal though, if she starts beating you up it may be the gel getting onto he skin! LOL.

All my love as usual, Waiting to hear new news from you two on when you get released and how you are liking the new stint you got!

God Speed
    Eric

The stint and hormone report
    Hi Eric;

Well, the gel seems to work fine, I can't say that I attribute any particular sensation to it, I've only been using tfor a a few days. Convenient, that's for sure!

Stent wise, no issue. Been a little hiccupy and heartburny but nothing too nasty. Always sitting up, never reclined too much, first meal was a half can of chef boy R dee pasta.. tasted normal, going to continue to try something different each day. Stent has not brought any pain nor can I feel anything down there. Very much enjoying milk and juice! So soothing.. Speaking of soothing, pain management going well, but I have become quite dim. I wouldn't call it "high", but I'm sure not myself when speaking or trying to figure something out. My voice feels weak but that could be temp from the stent. Many thanks to Dr. Delilah Fortin for her excellent work and for taking the time to answer all my questions before-hand. Dr. Fortin also called in some favours to be able to perform the procedure on friday rather than waiting until monday.

Presuming it's my spine, I walk a little funny now as if I'f l've lost some power to my right leg. Stepped on a hornet in bare feet today and went for a tumble. I believe my James Bond-ish finesse is gone.

Sleep is very erratic, but I with so many meds and the noisy hospital who knows how long until I can schedule some half-decent sleep. Drift off easy during the day too.
  • chemosmoker
    Options

The stint and hormone report
    Hi Eric;

Well, the gel seems to work fine, I can't say that I attribute any particular sensation to it, I've only been using tfor a a few days. Convenient, that's for sure!

Stent wise, no issue. Been a little hiccupy and heartburny but nothing too nasty. Always sitting up, never reclined too much, first meal was a half can of chef boy R dee pasta.. tasted normal, going to continue to try something different each day. Stent has not brought any pain nor can I feel anything down there. Very much enjoying milk and juice! So soothing.. Speaking of soothing, pain management going well, but I have become quite dim. I wouldn't call it "high", but I'm sure not myself when speaking or trying to figure something out. My voice feels weak but that could be temp from the stent. Many thanks to Dr. Delilah Fortin for her excellent work and for taking the time to answer all my questions before-hand. Dr. Fortin also called in some favours to be able to perform the procedure on friday rather than waiting until monday.

Presuming it's my spine, I walk a little funny now as if I'f l've lost some power to my right leg. Stepped on a hornet in bare feet today and went for a tumble. I believe my James Bond-ish finesse is gone.

Sleep is very erratic, but I with so many meds and the noisy hospital who knows how long until I can schedule some half-decent sleep. Drift off easy during the day too.

SO GOOD TO READ THIS TODAY!!
    Lee,
    I am so glad to hear the stint is working and doesn't hurt or you can't tell it's there-I had wondered about that myself. Glad the hormone gel seems to be a good thing too. FYI- It DOES take a while to build up a serum level with that stuff. Even with the shots of Testosterone it took seven days to start to be aware at all that I was changing. It is slow to absorb.

I am amazed to hear LEE eating chef-boy-R-dee from a can and drinking. What a JOY to read this morning. I am SO happy for you. I hope it continues to go well.
    Sorry to hear about the hornet and tumble, and that your spine is causing you issues.

I am having lower back pain and worse shoulder blade pain, and the pain in my chest is about 5x worse than it had been at the site of the original tumors, before this last week. I have begun taking more medication and not owning it as it causes tension at home, so I have to speak to my hospice nurse this wed. about this before there are bigger problems as we are trying to plan to travel a lot in the next month and that won't be good if I am hurting or can't keep the pain down without feeling guilty for taking more than before, or running out of meds! It seems I get about 4 hours now before I am VERY aware that something is growing inside me. I also notice that getting on TOP of the pain when I have those times that it gets BAD (thankfully still NOT all the time by a long shot) is allot harder now.
    Travel is by far the worst on pain. I guess it is stupid to think things aren't going to progress -and not for the better- and begin to hurt worse, especially if I am having mets to bones and/or ribs or so forth. Without MRI's or CT or PETS as an option on hospice I won't really know now. That's scary. Always being in a new place has been rough, too. I am going on and on about me. Oops. I digress...

I'm grateful to know that between you and Chantal that you not only got the procedure done on Friday and didn't have to wait til Monday. I am betting that was a fight and a half. I'm just glad it's done. Going from worry about aspirating on saliva to eating chef boy R dee pasta is a BIG jump and a great one to have! I guess the side-effects of the pain meds are a trade-off. I haven't ever had woozy or 'out of it' side effects from pain medications since diagnosed with cancer, which is much different from having taken pain pills in my past and feeling a euphoria, but I do from the Xanax when I take that, mostly sleepy though.

I am putting in requests with the Big Guy that you continue to recover now, that your pain stays managed, and that you can once again go home and enjoy living and being together with Chantal. THAT is what matters.

I love you and I am proud of you for the courage it took I KNOW to get that stint installed. I wonder if I will need one too at some point.

Keep us posted and get home soon!!

Eric
  • LeeinLondon
    Options

SO GOOD TO READ THIS TODAY!!
    Lee,
    I am so glad to hear the stint is working and doesn't hurt or you can't tell it's there-I had wondered about that myself. Glad the hormone gel seems to be a good thing too. FYI- It DOES take a while to build up a serum level with that stuff. Even with the shots of Testosterone it took seven days to start to be aware at all that I was changing. It is slow to absorb.

I am amazed to hear LEE eating chef-boy-R-dee from a can and drinking. What a JOY to read this morning. I am SO happy for you. I hope it continues to go well.
    Sorry to hear about the hornet and tumble, and that your spine is causing you issues.

I am having lower back pain and worse shoulder blade pain, and the pain in my chest is about 5x worse than it had been at the site of the original tumors, before this last week. I have begun taking more medication and not owning it as it causes tension at home, so I have to speak to my hospice nurse this wed. about this before there are bigger problems as we are trying to plan to travel a lot in the next month and that won't be good if I am hurting or can't keep the pain down without feeling guilty for taking more than before, or running out of meds! It seems I get about 4 hours now before I am VERY aware that something is growing inside me. I also notice that getting on TOP of the pain when I have those times that it gets BAD (thankfully still NOT all the time by a long shot) is allot harder now.
    Travel is by far the worst on pain. I guess it is stupid to think things aren't going to progress -and not for the better- and begin to hurt worse, especially if I am having mets to bones and/or ribs or so forth. Without MRI's or CT or PETS as an option on hospice I won't really know now. That's scary. Always being in a new place has been rough, too. I am going on and on about me. Oops. I digress...

I'm grateful to know that between you and Chantal that you not only got the procedure done on Friday and didn't have to wait til Monday. I am betting that was a fight and a half. I'm just glad it's done. Going from worry about aspirating on saliva to eating chef boy R dee pasta is a BIG jump and a great one to have! I guess the side-effects of the pain meds are a trade-off. I haven't ever had woozy or 'out of it' side effects from pain medications since diagnosed with cancer, which is much different from having taken pain pills in my past and feeling a euphoria, but I do from the Xanax when I take that, mostly sleepy though.

I am putting in requests with the Big Guy that you continue to recover now, that your pain stays managed, and that you can once again go home and enjoy living and being together with Chantal. THAT is what matters.

I love you and I am proud of you for the courage it took I KNOW to get that stint installed. I wonder if I will need one too at some point.

Keep us posted and get home soon!!

Eric

oops
    perhaps I was unclear.. I was discharged yesterday afternoon! VON nurse just left, vitals good, got my big swollen foot back, but who gives a damn, I feel pretty damn good. I feel pretty surreal, like I'm in a new place, and I feel more in control of everything. I'm very satisfied just sitting in a chair when I can do it pain-free :) - I just can't express my thanks to the universe for this reprieve.

thanks for the strength from afar Eric. You and the CSN gang really pulled through for me this time! :)

xooxxoxox from London,

Lee
    PS: Hopefully I can start contributing to the board again.. I feel like a lurker! ;)
  • Ginny_B
    Ginny_B Member Posts: 532
    Options

oops
    perhaps I was unclear.. I was discharged yesterday afternoon! VON nurse just left, vitals good, got my big swollen foot back, but who gives a damn, I feel pretty damn good. I feel pretty surreal, like I'm in a new place, and I feel more in control of everything. I'm very satisfied just sitting in a chair when I can do it pain-free :) - I just can't express my thanks to the universe for this reprieve.

thanks for the strength from afar Eric. You and the CSN gang really pulled through for me this time! :)

xooxxoxox from London,

Lee
    PS: Hopefully I can start contributing to the board again.. I feel like a lurker! ;)

You must be sooooo relieved!
    You must be sooooo relieved! Good for you!