OT: How Are You Trying To Enjoy Fall?

Options
13»

Comments

• dales2loud
    dales2loud Member Posts: 45
    Options

I wish winter was only two
    I wish winter was only two weeks long too! Lol. It was a super long winter last year. I'm sure hoping it won't be as bad this year.

My mother grew up in Albuquerque and that is where I was born. My mom had pictures of the balloon festival and I was only there once during that time for a visit to the grandparents. It was amazing. We have a very small balloon Festival here in September/October. No way near as many balloons, but really cool none the less. :)

Corn maze
    Here in Misouri it's corn mazes and even a Corn box, that's a big sand box filled with 250 bushels of corn, the kids and adult kids like me love it!
    It's the best three months of the year, October with fall festivals and Blue Grass Music, ( I play the banjo so be nice), followed by November and Thanksgiving, followed by December and CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options

Corn maze
    Here in Misouri it's corn mazes and even a Corn box, that's a big sand box filled with 250 bushels of corn, the kids and adult kids like me love it!
    It's the best three months of the year, October with fall festivals and Blue Grass Music, ( I play the banjo so be nice), followed by November and Thanksgiving, followed by December and CHRISTMAS!!!!!!

Banjo
    I just wattached Steve Martin playing the banjo again the other night. Lol

When I was singing with the West Branch Chorale, in 2006, we did a concert of only American composers. We did some Steven Foster and we had two pieces where one of our guys played banjo. We toured in The Netherlands and Belgium and did that program with the banjo tunes in it. I don't think the Europeans were too keen on the banjo numbers. Lol.
  • dales2loud
    Options

Banjo
    I just wattached Steve Martin playing the banjo again the other night. Lol

When I was singing with the West Branch Chorale, in 2006, we did a concert of only American composers. We did some Steven Foster and we had two pieces where one of our guys played banjo. We toured in The Netherlands and Belgium and did that program with the banjo tunes in it. I don't think the Europeans were too keen on the banjo numbers. Lol.

World traveler
    Can't blame anyone for not liking the banjo, it's a yes or no, to many people just kinda like the banjo.
    Do you still sing?
    I've been wondering how treatments would effect my singing voice. Not that I was ever a good singer but I could usually make a song funny. We have played 7 gigs since then end of my treatments in Aug. Besides the dry mouth I think it turned out pretty well, I only sing lead on one or two songs and backup on all the rest.
  • sweetblood22
    Options

World traveler
    Can't blame anyone for not liking the banjo, it's a yes or no, to many people just kinda like the banjo.
    Do you still sing?
    I've been wondering how treatments would effect my singing voice. Not that I was ever a good singer but I could usually make a song funny. We have played 7 gigs since then end of my treatments in Aug. Besides the dry mouth I think it turned out pretty well, I only sing lead on one or two songs and backup on all the rest.

Singing
    No, unfortunately, my mouth is so dry, that I cannot sing. I can barely talk a few sentences without hacking and gagging. :( I really miss singing, as I sang second soprano in two choirs. A tiny one at chruch, and The West Branch Chorale, an 86 member one.

I tried every product, tried numbing my tongue, tried everything, nothing helps. There is no way I can make it through a whole song. I am dry with only a few measures.
  • Hal61
    Hal61 Member Posts: 655
    Options
    Went to Yosemite to meet Deb Lewis
    Hi Sweet and Everyone,
    In Fresno, fall lasts about twenty minutes. It stays warm into October, then shifts quickly. But I did drive to Yosemite yesterday and met Deb Lewis and her husband Scot, and daughter, Kate. They treated me to lunch at the monolithic Ahwahnee hotel. So that made my fall. The leaves were turning in Yosemite like they are supposed to. Deb is as great as she seems on the board. She and her husband are both geologists, and their beutiful daughter Kate is going to U.C. Davis studying, amazingly, geology. I had a great time. Thanks Deb.

Hal
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    Hal61 said:

Hi Sweet and Everyone,
    In Fresno, fall lasts about twenty minutes. It stays warm into October, then shifts quickly. But I did drive to Yosemite yesterday and met Deb Lewis and her husband Scot, and daughter, Kate. They treated me to lunch at the monolithic Ahwahnee hotel. So that made my fall. The leaves were turning in Yosemite like they are supposed to. Deb is as great as she seems on the board. She and her husband are both geologists, and their beutiful daughter Kate is going to U.C. Davis studying, amazingly, geology. I had a great time. Thanks Deb.

Hal

That sounds like great fun!
    That sounds like great fun! Glad you huys got to meet!
  • connieprice1
    connieprice1 Member Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Hal61 said:

Hi Sweet and Everyone,

Hal

Hal, So glad to see that you
    Hal, So glad to see that you went to meet with Deb & Scott. I wonder if when we meet other cancer patients and caregivers if it is like we have already met. Also wonder how much conversation surrounds cancer and treatment or if you try not to bring it up if possible. Either way I know I want to meet my friends I've met on this site someday. Oh and Dawn, I have been doing very little this Fall, mostly watching football on TV. The weather has been wonderful so far, temperatures in the 70-80s. Connie and I have been relaxing and she tells me she is hungry all the time. That peg tube will be gone soon. Salute, Homer & Connie
  • sweetblood22
    Options

Hal, So glad to see that you
    Hal, So glad to see that you went to meet with Deb & Scott. I wonder if when we meet other cancer patients and caregivers if it is like we have already met. Also wonder how much conversation surrounds cancer and treatment or if you try not to bring it up if possible. Either way I know I want to meet my friends I've met on this site someday. Oh and Dawn, I have been doing very little this Fall, mostly watching football on TV. The weather has been wonderful so far, temperatures in the 70-80s. Connie and I have been relaxing and she tells me she is hungry all the time. That peg tube will be gone soon. Salute, Homer & Connie

Hungry all the time.
    Homer, that is music to my ears!

Hugs to you both-

<3 D
  • dales2loud
    Options

Singing
    No, unfortunately, my mouth is so dry, that I cannot sing. I can barely talk a few sentences without hacking and gagging. :( I really miss singing, as I sang second soprano in two choirs. A tiny one at chruch, and The West Branch Chorale, an 86 member one.

I tried every product, tried numbing my tongue, tried everything, nothing helps. There is no way I can make it through a whole song. I am dry with only a few measures.

That bites
    This cancer crap is starting to tick me off, we need good singers.
    Can you play any instruments? Maybe that can be your new voice?
  • sweetblood22
    Options

That bites
    This cancer crap is starting to tick me off, we need good singers.
    Can you play any instruments? Maybe that can be your new voice?

Playing an instrument
    Not really. I was a frustrated musician, which I why I sang. I could play a little bass guitar, by memorizing and playing songs by ear, but I cannot read music. I could play a few songs with the band back in the day, but I could never sing and play at the same time. Lol

I need a salivary gland transplant so I can sing again! I do really miss it every week. Even when I worked 48 to 60 hrs a week, I refused to miss Monday night rehearsal and concerts.
  • Husker Fan
    Husker Fan Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Corn Country...
    As you know it is harvest time! I grew up on a farm but now live in the Omaha and work in an office. Every fall I always try to play farmer at least one weekend on my dad's farm. Since I am going through radiation treatments, I am scared to even go watch, as I don't want to get in the dust and have my allergies kick in .... with the mask on! My wife (and I) laughs at the thought, but that’s my biggest fear.

I am looking forward to next year though!

David

P.S. Dawn, your Renaissance Fair looked really fun!
  • sweetblood22
    Options

Corn Country...
    As you know it is harvest time! I grew up on a farm but now live in the Omaha and work in an office. Every fall I always try to play farmer at least one weekend on my dad's farm. Since I am going through radiation treatments, I am scared to even go watch, as I don't want to get in the dust and have my allergies kick in .... with the mask on! My wife (and I) laughs at the thought, but that’s my biggest fear.

I am looking forward to next year though!

David

P.S. Dawn, your Renaissance Fair looked really fun!

David
    Harvest time here didn't go very well because of the two devastating floods. I forgot to ask my BF how much corn and soybeans are bringing now at the mill. He lost so many acres of crops. No flood insurance.

The Faire is always a good time! I love going, and I love the person that I go with every year. She's a blast!
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options

David
    Harvest time here didn't go very well because of the two devastating floods. I forgot to ask my BF how much corn and soybeans are bringing now at the mill. He lost so many acres of crops. No flood insurance.

The Faire is always a good time! I love going, and I love the person that I go with every year. She's a blast!

Corn - Ohio
    Dawn, you'll have to ask Shelley about corn and Ohio where I grew up, LOL....

When I was in the military, people would ask how it was where I grew up...my standard reply was "Corn and Cows..., lot's of corn".

So when Shelley and I went for a visit, we drove to different area towns, Wooster, Orrville (Smuckers Farm), Amish country....on the way we were going over the rolling hills near Mount Vernon (my hometown)...all you could see was corn. We'd go over a hill...corn, another hill and valley, more corn...

I asked her, "Did I ever tell you they grow corn here...lot's of corn"....

JG
  • osmotar
    osmotar Member Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Corn - Ohio
    Dawn, you'll have to ask Shelley about corn and Ohio where I grew up, LOL....

When I was in the military, people would ask how it was where I grew up...my standard reply was "Corn and Cows..., lot's of corn".

So when Shelley and I went for a visit, we drove to different area towns, Wooster, Orrville (Smuckers Farm), Amish country....on the way we were going over the rolling hills near Mount Vernon (my hometown)...all you could see was corn. We'd go over a hill...corn, another hill and valley, more corn...

I asked her, "Did I ever tell you they grow corn here...lot's of corn"....

JG

CCC
    Here in the sw desert...it's Corn, Cotton, & Cactus

Linda
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    Corn, cows, and hills
    Sounds like where I live. Though in the last ten years a lot of the little family run dairy farms have been squeezed out. There are a few still milking, we also have Amish around us. As a matter of fact, for some reason my step mom walked down to the end of the driveway on Sunday and there was an Amish couple in a buggy parked by our barn, watching my step mom's ponies. She said that was twice they've been eyeballing the horses and she told them that they are not for sale!

It used to drive me nuts when I'd ask my ex how to get somewhere, and he'd tell me, "Go out over the hill, and make a right at the cornfield. " ???? Really???? First of all, every direction leaving where I used to live, you would have to go up hill. Five directions and each one you could travel, up hill. There's corn fields every where too. So not helpful.
  • dales2loud
    Options

Playing an instrument
    Not really. I was a frustrated musician, which I why I sang. I could play a little bass guitar, by memorizing and playing songs by ear, but I cannot read music. I could play a few songs with the band back in the day, but I could never sing and play at the same time. Lol

I need a salivary gland transplant so I can sing again! I do really miss it every week. Even when I worked 48 to 60 hrs a week, I refused to miss Monday night rehearsal and concerts.

Salivary gland transplant?
    Is there such a thing? Then please go for it and get your voice back.
    What are the risks?
  • sweetblood22
    Options

Salivary gland transplant?
    Is there such a thing? Then please go for it and get your voice back.
    What are the risks?

Salivary gland transplant.
    No, I was just joking. :) I don't think there is such a thing. I remember some one once posted something about having them temporarily relocated until after radiation, but I have no clue how the heck they would manage that either. I think I'm just stuck with no spit.
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options

Corn, cows, and hills
    Sounds like where I live. Though in the last ten years a lot of the little family run dairy farms have been squeezed out. There are a few still milking, we also have Amish around us. As a matter of fact, for some reason my step mom walked down to the end of the driveway on Sunday and there was an Amish couple in a buggy parked by our barn, watching my step mom's ponies. She said that was twice they've been eyeballing the horses and she told them that they are not for sale!

It used to drive me nuts when I'd ask my ex how to get somewhere, and he'd tell me, "Go out over the hill, and make a right at the cornfield. " ???? Really???? First of all, every direction leaving where I used to live, you would have to go up hill. Five directions and each one you could travel, up hill. There's corn fields every where too. So not helpful.

Hi Sweet

Today was a lovely day outside not too cold and not too hot. I was sitting out in the swing under a red maple tree looking at the leaves falling and thinking how beautiful all this is. It is a once a year thing to see the tree and the colorful leave that they produce.

As I got up I again looked at the ground and said oh crap I will have to rake all those old leave up again. So much for fall

:+))
    Hondo
  • Husker Fan
    Husker Fan Member Posts: 65
    Options

Corn, cows, and hills

Squeezed out...
    I think small family farms have been squeezed out everywhere, but it's still fun to go out and watch the harvest! Plus that means its college football time!!

Oh by the way, where I grew up... it was "turn left at the milk house and our house is where all the hogs are, you can't miss the smell"! LOL