Starting chemo

13»

Comments

• DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    catowner said:

Thanks for the advice! I
    Thanks for the advice! I heard chewing on ice cubes during the infusion helped for mouth sores. Also glad to hear it is'nt as bad as I think, since I have been nervous about it but am also anxious to get started so I can get it done! Debbie

Drink LOTS of water! I love
    Drink LOTS of water! I love your pic! You look so happy!
  • catowner
    catowner Member Posts: 50
    DebbyM said:

Drink LOTS of water! I love
    Drink LOTS of water! I love your pic! You look so happy!

Thanks, the pic was taken
    Thanks, the pic was taken the year before I got the bad news! Still am keeping a good attitude on this. The petscan showed no sign of tumors so more good news and the first day of treatment went well and I am feeling great today also! Drinking lots of fluids too! Deb
  • catowner

Praying it continues to be
    Praying it continues to be good for you too Debbie.

Hugs, Jan

Thanks Jan, so far so good.
    Thanks Jan, so far so good. Second day and still feeling normal. I just got my Neulasta shot an 1-1/2 hour ago and am taking Claratin to hopefully avoid too much bone pain. Thanks for the prayers, they are a BIG help. Hugs galore, Debbie
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

Good Luck and You'll do Well.
    My boyfriend bought me a great book that includes what foods to eat during each side effect from chemo - http://www.amazon.com/Cancer-Fighting-Kitchen-Nourishing-Big-Flavor-Treatment/dp/1587613441. It helped a lot. They even describe what ingredients to add to foods to lift up their flavor, in case you get that metallic taste, which some people don't get. They recommend you add these to foods, accordingly: lemon, olive oil, sea salt, maple syrup (and I forgot #5 :( I recommend it.

Also this book: http://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Juices-Natural-Vitality/dp/1844839737/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318347559&sr=1-1 It suggests drinks according to categories: immunity, energy, red blood count, etc...There are hundreds of suggestions on juicing to boost up your everything!

Now, very important, you must drink a lot. Drink, drink drink! I had about 7-8 bottles of water daily.

I had a serious issue during chemo - couldn't go for 12 days!!! So, you must eat a lot of fiber, take stool softener everyday (especially 2 days prior to treatment) - or you can wait until you see how you react to treatment first. Some experience the opposite, but I know most people can't go (based on those I do know). So have a balance diet, lots of fiber. Also, eat smaller portion throughout the day. It will help with nausea too.

I didn't take the nausea pills, because they also didn't help with the bathroom situation. But I had ativan (anxiety pill). It helped me so much during treatments. And only took it when I felt anxious or felt stomach issues. I recommend it.

If you feel any side effect from your chemo, call your Dr. Always call, don't feel like it's "normal" - it probably will be normal, but good to double check with doctors.

You will do great! Normal to feel very nervous at first, but it isn't as bad as you think.

Oh! I chew on ice the entire time I was getting the AC infusion, and never got one mouth sore. I recommend it too!

Good luck sister! :)

Sending lots of positive
    Sending lots of positive thoughts and hugs!

Good luck!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    catowner said:

Thanks Jan, so far so good.
    Thanks Jan, so far so good. Second day and still feeling normal. I just got my Neulasta shot an 1-1/2 hour ago and am taking Claratin to hopefully avoid too much bone pain. Thanks for the prayers, they are a BIG help. Hugs galore, Debbie

Reading from you that so far so good is great Debbie! Hopefully you won't have any bone pain. Keep us posted.

Hugs, Jan
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    catowner said:

Thank-you Lorrie, things
    Thank-you Lorrie, things went real good. Everyone was great, I had a heated recliner, free lunch, anything I wanted to drink, it was a breeze. Hopefully it continues to go good! I feel sleepy now but it's too early for bed and I have to eat dinner yet. Thanks, Deb

I'm glad you were
    I'm glad you were comfortable Deb and that your first chemo went well. I know it isn't easy, but, rely on us when you need support, encouragement or anything.

Keep posting to let us know how you are doing and how your treatments are for you.

Hugs, Diane
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Hi Debbie...I have finished
    Hi Debbie...I have finished 11 taxol treatments for me they were not bad. I would get my treatment on Tuesday and Thursday would get a little tired after a few treatments I had mild bone pain and muscle pain. Pain meds made it managable. I was able to cook,clean and care for my children the whole time.My advice is drink lots of water,gator aide and orange juice. eggs are my best friend. If I skip eating eggs my energy level is down and i just dont feel good. Also apples and peanut butter help a lot.Nutrition is so very important. My blood counts were always perfect.
    I will start f/a/c tomorrow, a little nervous not knowing what to expect. I will keep you updated if you would like. I wish you all the best,and will keep you in my prayers.

Mary

Hoping your a/c treatment
    Hoping your a/c treatment went well for you Mary too!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    kjhbrteam said:

good stuff here
    Hi there!
    I finished my last chemo in April and the best advice I received and will share with you is this. Drink TONS of water! You want to flush all that stuff out of your body as quickly as possible. If you have a port get the lidocan cream and use it about 2 hrs before your infusion (it hurts to get poked). You'll do great and it will be over before you know it!!! Hugs! KJ

I am wishing you good luck
    I am wishing you good luck with chemo Debbie and hoping and praying you have no side effects.

Lex
  • Dwwilburn
    Dwwilburn Member Posts: 19
    Chemo Experience
    Hi cat owner! I started chemo Dec 2010. I posted notes about every third week on Facebook. If you are on Facebook, friend me and you can read up! My name is Dianne Wilburn.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    catowner said:

chemo
    Yes we are all different and I keep telling myself this yet it is helpful to hear what others have to say:) All the women on this site have been so wonderful that it puts me at ease a little to hear their stories. Where I will be getting my chemo they have heated recliners and also heated blankets with a t.v. in front of every chair so it should be very doable! I also will be getting A/C every two weeks for the first 4 treatments, and Taxol for the last 4. I'm sure I will get through it okay, especially with everyone on this site guiding me through it. Thanks a ton for the info. Debbie

Debbie, I didn't do chemo,
    Debbie, I didn't do chemo, just rads after my surgery. I did want to say good luck to you!

Hugs, Megan
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Rague said:

Link - morning sickness and chemo nausea
    I've been told by the Chemo nurses and others that rather or not you have problems with morning sickness can give a clue as to rather or not you'll have chemo nausea. My chemo Dr also said that it is believed that there is a 'place' in your brain that triggers nausea raeactions and it does seem to be a link with no morning sickness and no chemo nausea. I had no nausea at all with either A/C or Taxol - I even quit taking the anti nausea meds 1/2 way through Taxol with no prob. but i had had no morning sickness at all with either son. Also basically never have any anytime - not even on big boats going through a hurricane in the N. Atlantic.

Susan

I wish I could help you with
    I wish I could help you with some great tips or advice, but Debbie, I didn't take chemo. I am praying for you and sending you lots of good luck with your treatments.

Hugs, Leeza
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

Good luck
    You've gotten great advice and I can think of nothing to add except you'll get through this and praying that it'll be easy for you.

marge

Debbie, I am with everyone
    Debbie, I am with everyone else in wishing you the best of luck with your treatment.

Hugs, Kylez
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Tux said:

upcoming chemo
    Catowner, you have received lots of great advice here. (((Hugs))) & prayers sent
    you way. Let us know how everything goes!

How is your chemo going now?
    How is your chemo going now? Better I pray!

Hugs, Jan
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    catowner said:

I also wish you the best and
    I also wish you the best and will keep you in my prayers. The nutrition advice is very helpful, I like peanut butter and eggs also so I will keep that in mind. I give you a lot of credit being able to take care of children and everything else while going through that. I am fortunate that my kids are grown up and I have a wonderful husband who takes very good care of me:) Good luck with your next treatments and would love to hear how you are doing!
    Thanks, Debbie

How are your chemo
    How are your chemo treatments going Debbie? I pray that you are doing well.

Hugs, Angie
  • catowner

How is your chemo going now?
    How is your chemo going now? Better I pray!

Hugs, Jan

I had my second chemo on the
    I had my second chemo on the 27th and still doing good, food tastes weird but other than that things are decent. Thanks for all the help sisters! Hugs, Debbie
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    catowner said:

I had my second chemo on the
    I had my second chemo on the 27th and still doing good, food tastes weird but other than that things are decent. Thanks for all the help sisters! Hugs, Debbie

So happy to know that you
    So happy to know that you are doing good with your second chemo Debbie! Keep updating us when you can!

Hugs, Kylez