Starting chemo

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    mamolady said:

comfort foods
    Debbie,
    If you have trouble eating, find your comfort food. It may be something you normally don't eat. Listen to your body! I didn't have trouble with nausea but I never did during pregnancy either. (I don't know if that is related or not)
    I would recommend keeping hand sanitizer every where. With cold and flu season starting, the last thing you want is to get sick on top of having chemo!
    Rest when you need to, get out when you can. This will be over before you know it.

Cindy

PS- I never had a port. I didn't have a problem except that the nurses didn't like having to start an IV.

Link - morning sickness and chemo nausea
    I've been told by the Chemo nurses and others that rather or not you have problems with morning sickness can give a clue as to rather or not you'll have chemo nausea. My chemo Dr also said that it is believed that there is a 'place' in your brain that triggers nausea raeactions and it does seem to be a link with no morning sickness and no chemo nausea. I had no nausea at all with either A/C or Taxol - I even quit taking the anti nausea meds 1/2 way through Taxol with no prob. but i had had no morning sickness at all with either son. Also basically never have any anytime - not even on big boats going through a hurricane in the N. Atlantic.

Susan
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    catowner said:

I do not have a port. I will
    I do not have a port. I will keep the Claratin in mind. Thanks, Deb

Good luck Catowner! Praying
    Good luck Catowner! Praying for no side effects for you!

Hugs, Lex
  • catowner
    catowner Member Posts: 50
    Alexis F said:

Good luck Catowner! Praying
    Good luck Catowner! Praying for no side effects for you!

Hugs, Lex

Thank-you very much! Debbie

Thank-you very much! Debbie
  • catowner
    mamolady said:

comfort foods
    Debbie,
    If you have trouble eating, find your comfort food. It may be something you normally don't eat. Listen to your body! I didn't have trouble with nausea but I never did during pregnancy either. (I don't know if that is related or not)
    I would recommend keeping hand sanitizer every where. With cold and flu season starting, the last thing you want is to get sick on top of having chemo!
    Rest when you need to, get out when you can. This will be over before you know it.

Cindy

PS- I never had a port. I didn't have a problem except that the nurses didn't like having to start an IV.

Thanks Cindy, I do have hand
    Thanks Cindy, I do have hand sanitizer in my purse and in the house. Glad to hear you did'nt have a problem with the IV. Hopefully I won't either, Debbie
  • catowner

Good Luck and You'll do Well.
    My boyfriend bought me a great book that includes what foods to eat during each side effect from chemo - http://www.amazon.com/Cancer-Fighting-Kitchen-Nourishing-Big-Flavor-Treatment/dp/1587613441. It helped a lot. They even describe what ingredients to add to foods to lift up their flavor, in case you get that metallic taste, which some people don't get. They recommend you add these to foods, accordingly: lemon, olive oil, sea salt, maple syrup (and I forgot #5 :( I recommend it.

Also this book: http://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Juices-Natural-Vitality/dp/1844839737/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318347559&sr=1-1 It suggests drinks according to categories: immunity, energy, red blood count, etc...There are hundreds of suggestions on juicing to boost up your everything!

Now, very important, you must drink a lot. Drink, drink drink! I had about 7-8 bottles of water daily.

I had a serious issue during chemo - couldn't go for 12 days!!! So, you must eat a lot of fiber, take stool softener everyday (especially 2 days prior to treatment) - or you can wait until you see how you react to treatment first. Some experience the opposite, but I know most people can't go (based on those I do know). So have a balance diet, lots of fiber. Also, eat smaller portion throughout the day. It will help with nausea too.

I didn't take the nausea pills, because they also didn't help with the bathroom situation. But I had ativan (anxiety pill). It helped me so much during treatments. And only took it when I felt anxious or felt stomach issues. I recommend it.

If you feel any side effect from your chemo, call your Dr. Always call, don't feel like it's "normal" - it probably will be normal, but good to double check with doctors.

You will do great! Normal to feel very nervous at first, but it isn't as bad as you think.

Oh! I chew on ice the entire time I was getting the AC infusion, and never got one mouth sore. I recommend it too!

Good luck sister! :)

Thanks for the advice! I
    Thanks for the advice! I heard chewing on ice cubes during the infusion helped for mouth sores. Also glad to hear it is'nt as bad as I think, since I have been nervous about it but am also anxious to get started so I can get it done! Debbie
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    catowner said:

I also wish you the best and
    I also wish you the best and will keep you in my prayers. The nutrition advice is very helpful, I like peanut butter and eggs also so I will keep that in mind. I give you a lot of credit being able to take care of children and everything else while going through that. I am fortunate that my kids are grown up and I have a wonderful husband who takes very good care of me:) Good luck with your next treatments and would love to hear how you are doing!
    Thanks, Debbie

Debbie, it looks like you
    Debbie, it looks like you have already gotten great advice from the pink sisters, so, let me add my best wishes and prayers.

Hugs, Diane
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    catowner said:

Thanks for the advice! I
    Thanks for the advice! I heard chewing on ice cubes during the infusion helped for mouth sores. Also glad to hear it is'nt as bad as I think, since I have been nervous about it but am also anxious to get started so I can get it done! Debbie

Drink, drink, drink!
    It helps to flush the drugs out of your system. Cold drinks are best. If you're having chemo before surgery my onc usggested putting moist heat over the tumor site to draw the drugs there. I also got a special "toothpaste" from my dentist to nutralize the acid in my mouth and help prevent mouth sores. I never had a problem and didn't have a problem with silverware either, just ate somewhat bland foods for a few days because things didn't taste right. I packed a bag that went along for every treatment: Kindle, MP3 palyer, pictures, puzzle book, hard candy, cold drink, small pillow, prayer shawl, snacks, cell phone. Depending on the time of day my husband would get me settled and then go to the nearby Panera Bread for soup and salad lunch for both of us. With the Tazotere I got Benedryl first so lelpt a lot. I was usually okay for about 36 to 48 hours, then just slept away the weekend after my Thursday infusion. (It was great when my husband decided to clean out the garage on Labor Day weekend. He cleaned and I slept!) This is very "doable". Hang in there and fight like a girl!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

first chemo
    I had a hard time with chemo and it is going to be hard but you can do it. I had ACT every 21 days for 6 rounds. They provided lunch where I went for my infuston too but I found that anything I ate while getting chemo I couldn't stand to eat again. I sipped a drink most of the time. If you have contact lenses do not wear them. Your eyes dry out and you can scratch your cornea. They give you a large dose of benadryl IV so you will sleep a lot of your infusion. Definitely bring somthing to read or an ipod. Some places have wifi and tv's. Wear comfy clothes. Pajama pants are not frowned upon.

I can't tell from your picture how old you are but if you aren't in menopause yet chemo is going to put you into it. With my first treatment I started having hot flashes. My oncologist unfortunately failed to mention this was going to happen. Dress in layers.

The nuelasta shot gave me restless leg syndrome so be aware that can happen. It also can cause achiness. Make sure you track your temp after. I had slight nausea but the meds they give you help so take them! I felt like eating or drinking only cool stuff and what I liked or looked nasty changed each time I had another round. My hair started falling out right before the second treatment so you have some time to get ready for that.

Please don't hesitate to ask me anything. I was diagnosed at 34 and am going through treatment again. Hang in there, you can do it! We got your back.

Good luck with chemo. I
    Good luck with chemo. I know the first one is scary, but, you will be just fine!

Hugs, Leeza
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    You've already received lots
    You've already received lots of advice, but I'll add mine anyway...

I agree with start drinking lots of water the day before your infusion, and continue for at least two days after. Being well hydrated will make it easier for them to find a vein. I also did not have a port...if you feel any burning, pain, cold, etc. from the chemo drip be sure to tell them. I found when I felt stuff like that, they would slow the rate of infusion. The adriamycin for me was usually administered directly by the nurse, the others were via an IV.

As for food, I ate whatever sounded good at the moment. Eating small amounts frequently, so there is always something on your tummy, really does help with nausea. My chemo nurse advised Carnation instant breakfast (now breakfast essentials), and when I couldn't eat but needed something I would drink that. I also added it to smoothies. I was also told to focus on calories and protein.

I will also echo the claratin for your Neulasta, it is recommended by the manufacturer. The pharmacist can confirm that, but clear it with your oncologist.

I did 6 rounds of TAC, and was always in a 'chemo fog' for 3-4 days. Then climbed out of it, feeling better each day until it was time for the next round.

Finally, if you run into any issues or have any questions as you go through this, please come back and ask. I'm sending all my best.

Hugs,

Linda
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806

I agree with start drinking lots of water the day before your infusion, and continue for at least two days after. Being well hydrated will make it easier for them to find a vein. I also did not have a port...if you feel any burning, pain, cold, etc. from the chemo drip be sure to tell them. I found when I felt stuff like that, they would slow the rate of infusion. The adriamycin for me was usually administered directly by the nurse, the others were via an IV.

As for food, I ate whatever sounded good at the moment. Eating small amounts frequently, so there is always something on your tummy, really does help with nausea. My chemo nurse advised Carnation instant breakfast (now breakfast essentials), and when I couldn't eat but needed something I would drink that. I also added it to smoothies. I was also told to focus on calories and protein.

I will also echo the claratin for your Neulasta, it is recommended by the manufacturer. The pharmacist can confirm that, but clear it with your oncologist.

I did 6 rounds of TAC, and was always in a 'chemo fog' for 3-4 days. Then climbed out of it, feeling better each day until it was time for the next round.

Finally, if you run into any issues or have any questions as you go through this, please come back and ask. I'm sending all my best.

Hugs,

Linda

Good luck
    You've gotten great advice and I can think of nothing to add except you'll get through this and praying that it'll be easy for you.

marge
  • catowner

Hugs,

Linda

Thank-you, thank-you,
    Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you everyone!
    You have all made me look at this in a much better view:) I am now sure that I will get through this part of it.
    Hugs to all ..... Debbie
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    catowner said:

Thank-you, thank-you,
    Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you everyone!
    You have all made me look at this in a much better view:) I am now sure that I will get through this part of it.
    Hugs to all ..... Debbie

upcoming chemo
    Catowner, you have received lots of great advice here. (((Hugs))) & prayers sent
    you way. Let us know how everything goes!
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    camul said:

As far as getting the chemo,
    As far as getting the chemo, I always made sure that I ate something an hour or 2 before, and had snacks and a drink handy while getting it. My infusion room was stocked with drinks and snacks, but I brought what I was hungry for, as well as a good book, and a sweatshirt just because one minute I was cold and the next hot. My office also provides heated blankets. My treatment is on Wednesdays and I usually felt okay until Friday.

Main thing to remember is everyone is so different, and as you will find out, we can all be on the same regimen and each will have a different experience. It is not a piece of cake, but I was able to do it for so long this time by using imagery (which was I got from someone on this board). By imagining the chemo eating the tumors, it made it easier to keep going back for more, as well as developing a great fondness for my doctor, infusion nurse, and his office staff. A great group that I entrusted literally with my life!

I have been on three different chemo's and felt different with each one. In fact, one week it would be really bad and the next one I would be so ready for a bad one, and the side effects would be so much easier than the one the week before... and that was the exact same chemo combo as the week that was really bad.

I wish you the best. Chemo is doable, not easy, but doable, and I know that I was so afraid the first time, but it was not nearly as bad as I had envisioned.

Hugs and prayers to you.
    Carol

Good luck today Debbie! You
    Good luck today Debbie! You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs, Angie
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Tux said:

upcoming chemo
    Catowner, you have received lots of great advice here. (((Hugs))) & prayers sent
    you way. Let us know how everything goes!

Catowner,
    Thinking of you today as you are sitting in that infusion chair taking all the great advice our kindreds gave you. The first chemo is the scariest because of the "not knowing". For me personally the first 48 hours were the worst. By this weekend I would say you should start feeling the tide turn. The first week I experienced tiredness but the icky sicky stuff was gone within a couple days. Remember whatever side effects you do get, let your nurses and oncologist know. There is usually something they can provide. I didn't get nauseous until my last two treatments.

I found that most sugary drinks tasted funny, kinda like thick gravy. Water and chocolate milk we're my saviors.

I hope things went well today for you,
    Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • catowner

Catowner,
    Thinking of you today as you are sitting in that infusion chair taking all the great advice our kindreds gave you. The first chemo is the scariest because of the "not knowing". For me personally the first 48 hours were the worst. By this weekend I would say you should start feeling the tide turn. The first week I experienced tiredness but the icky sicky stuff was gone within a couple days. Remember whatever side effects you do get, let your nurses and oncologist know. There is usually something they can provide. I didn't get nauseous until my last two treatments.

I found that most sugary drinks tasted funny, kinda like thick gravy. Water and chocolate milk we're my saviors.

I hope things went well today for you,
    Hugs,
    Lorrie

Thank-you Lorrie, things
    Thank-you Lorrie, things went real good. Everyone was great, I had a heated recliner, free lunch, anything I wanted to drink, it was a breeze. Hopefully it continues to go good! I feel sleepy now but it's too early for bed and I have to eat dinner yet. Thanks, Deb
  • catowner

Chemo
    Recommend you start hydration the day before chemo and continue for a couple of days afterward. The nuelasta shot can be a doozy with bone and joint pain. Get some Claratin (not Claratin D) and start taking the day before the shot (chemo day), Claratin took about 75% of the pain away and the rest can be managed through aleve, ibuprofin or percocet. Numbing cream works good, spreadt it over some plastic wrap then tape the plastic wrap over the port site so when they stick you, lets say I have had skeeter bites that were worst.

Tom, do you remember how
    Tom, do you remember how many days in a row you took the Claratin to help with the bone pain?
    Debbie
  • catowner

Chemo
    Recommend you start hydration the day before chemo and continue for a couple of days afterward. The nuelasta shot can be a doozy with bone and joint pain. Get some Claratin (not Claratin D) and start taking the day before the shot (chemo day), Claratin took about 75% of the pain away and the rest can be managed through aleve, ibuprofin or percocet. Numbing cream works good, spreadt it over some plastic wrap then tape the plastic wrap over the port site so when they stick you, lets say I have had skeeter bites that were worst.

Tom, do you remember how
    Tom, do you remember how many days in a row you took the Claratin for the joint pain? I thought I would try it but now sure how much to take? Thanks, Deb
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    catowner said:

Thank-you Lorrie, things
    Thank-you Lorrie, things went real good. Everyone was great, I had a heated recliner, free lunch, anything I wanted to drink, it was a breeze. Hopefully it continues to go good! I feel sleepy now but it's too early for bed and I have to eat dinner yet. Thanks, Deb

Praying it continues to be
    Praying it continues to be good for you too Debbie.

Hugs, Jan
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

first chemo
    I had a hard time with chemo and it is going to be hard but you can do it. I had ACT every 21 days for 6 rounds. They provided lunch where I went for my infuston too but I found that anything I ate while getting chemo I couldn't stand to eat again. I sipped a drink most of the time. If you have contact lenses do not wear them. Your eyes dry out and you can scratch your cornea. They give you a large dose of benadryl IV so you will sleep a lot of your infusion. Definitely bring somthing to read or an ipod. Some places have wifi and tv's. Wear comfy clothes. Pajama pants are not frowned upon.

I can't tell from your picture how old you are but if you aren't in menopause yet chemo is going to put you into it. With my first treatment I started having hot flashes. My oncologist unfortunately failed to mention this was going to happen. Dress in layers.

The nuelasta shot gave me restless leg syndrome so be aware that can happen. It also can cause achiness. Make sure you track your temp after. I had slight nausea but the meds they give you help so take them! I felt like eating or drinking only cool stuff and what I liked or looked nasty changed each time I had another round. My hair started falling out right before the second treatment so you have some time to get ready for that.

Please don't hesitate to ask me anything. I was diagnosed at 34 and am going through treatment again. Hang in there, you can do it! We got your back.

Sending prayers and hugs to
    Sending prayers and hugs to you DEbeachgirl too!

Hugs, Jan
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    mamolady said:

comfort foods
    Debbie,

Cindy

How did chemo go? Sue :)
    How did chemo go?

Sue :)