I rest my case (:

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Options
    Different Answers Depends on What We have Gone Through
    To Every Sister:

I personally always say, "I'm doing great. Don't worry. I plan on living to my 90's."

I have been more fortunate than my sisters on this board. First time cancer, only lost 2 breasts but did not have to have chemo or radiation or the 5-year chemo pill. Had breast reconstruction which ended up taking 2 years because of infections with both tissue expanders.

Second time, I had radiation, and then Arimidex, Anastrozole, and Fermara. I was lucky with the radiation, but not with the estrogen blockers...bad side effects. Total time on these drugs...one year.

So...I still felt lucky.

Chemo is tough. I don't know if I would have the strength to handle it like so many of you have handled it. When you have experienced so much more than I have, I do think your responses/feelings to that question is much different from mine, and rightly so.

I believe that most people who ask you how you are doing, really care about how you are doing. BUT, no way can they truly understand exactly how you are feeling BECAUSE THEY HAVE NOT WALKED IN YOUR SHOES. That is why we are on this board, because only a sister can understand what another sister is going through. That is the reason why I searched for this board and for support groups...only you understand what I feel...only you can I tell my inner thoughts. Can you say that you understand the loss of a parent or a sibling when you yourself have not experienced that lost? Only until you experience the lost, only then can you understand another person's loss.

Lots of Love,
    Janelle