Coke anyone

Options

Comments

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    SIRENAF42 said:

Ohh the power of Diet Coke - I was a junke
    August 2008, I remember the last day I drank a diet coke (of which I used to drink at least 3 a day) and remembered thinking that would be the last time - I enjoyed every drop.. it was a momentous 20oz bottle ... my doc said Id probably never be able to due to my radiation and the carbonated water would cause a burning sensation. He was right, the couple times I tried, it tasted awful and burned. Three years later..... about one month ago, I was on vacation stuck in a car and had ran out of my water and needed something to drink, so I took a swig of my mothers diet coke... It didnt burn and I just smiled at my mother, who was having convulsions at the thought of me drinking it to begin with.

I was giddy with happiness, not because I wanted to start drinking it again... it was the fact that I could. So just to make sure it wasnt a fluke, I tried one again last week, drinking it out of the bottle caused a weird feeling in my mouth, so I poured it over ice, let the fizzing settle, and Wahla...I enjoyed every drop. .... another milestone for the cancer survivor.. Now if I could just enjoy hot sauce again....

Hi Sirenaf

I never did like Diet Coke until I got hooked like a fish on it, then for the next 12 years I had to have a 6 pack a day just to be normal. I am not sure why it is soon easy to get hooked on the stuff but once you are you just got to have one.

Hondo
  • Hondo
    Options
    DrMary said:

Join the Chosen People and get good Coke
    Every year, for Passover, Coca Cola makes Kosher-for-Passover Coke. They steam clean all of the equipment in the factory and then use a formulation that has only sugar (as HFCS is no-no during Passover, since it had a chance to ferment). Yum. I had a friend who looked into ordering it straight from the factory as she felt (slightly) bad fighting all the little old ladies in her local supermarket for the precious fluid.

Cola syrup, by the way, is an old remedy for stomach issues. I'm not sure it can take on chemo nausea, but I have fond memories of using local Coca Cola to quell some deadly morning sickness as we traveled across the Dominican Republic in a car (2nd kid - prefers real sugar to HFCS, so there might be some epigenetic thing going on there). Thanks for the blast from the past, Hondo!

Hi Dr Mary

That is something I did not know, I eat a lot of kosher products as they are suppose to be better for you. Guess I need to wait till Passover to get my Cokes. Glad to hear it does have some benefits, as I know after drinking it my stomach felt a lot better, and I thought my sister-in-law was just kidding.

Hondo
  • Hondo
    Options
    Greend said:

Cokes
    Dr told me if I needed a coke to only drink diet because of the threat to my teeth. I don't drink either but do drink a lot of club soda because it helps me get rid of the mucus in my mouth. Glad you are enjoying one of life's little pleasures; you deserve it.

Denny

Hi Denny
    I did not think about the mucus thing, I don’t really want to get started again drinking coke again but if the club soda helps with mucus, a little every now and then may be a big benefit.

Thanks
    Hondo
  • Hondo
    Options
    Goalie said:

G&T
    It reminds me of early in the treatment when I kiddingly asked the rad onc if I could keep drinking gin and tonic. He said: "Sure! As long as you switch to diet tonic so you don't get the sugar and cause tooth problems."

Of course, he also knew that it was a moot point as it would not be long before I couldn't take the gin either with the burning in the throat.

Can I admit that I am just now getting to where I can enjoy a nice cold, weak G&T? What a pleasure in the summer heat. Doug

Hi Doug

The simple little things in life that we loose during treatment, but Oh how good they are when we can taste them again.

Hondo
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Hondo said:

John
    I will make sure the 8oz are on list for wend we go fishing

Someday soon I hope

Coke, NEHI, etc...
    There's a small replica general store in downtown Lakeland, about a block from where I work. Sometimes during our lunch break Shelley (my wife) and I will walk over and get a soda...

Me usually the 8oz Coke in a bottle, her the Nehi Cherry Soda.

JG
  • josh r.
    josh r. Member Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Make it a double!
    Hondo,
    That's great! It's amazing how "little" things turn out to be so big. Josh r.
  • Hondo
    Options
    josh r. said:

Make it a double!
    Hondo,
    That's great! It's amazing how "little" things turn out to be so big. Josh r.

Hi Josh
    You are so right the little things in life are sometimes the best thing of all

Thanks
    Hondo
  • fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Great
    Great to hear you have enjoyed it so much.

I can not do coke either, but i tried Mug Root Beer because some mentioned it somewhere and to my surprise it worked extremely well. Months later I was at a get together. Now mind you I can not do alcohol. Just like the coke i just stopped trying. Getting back to story I saw some plain rum, you guessed it right. I added and well there was no burn. Since i have tried other alcoholic drinks and they do burn. Guess I will stay with R&R on the rocks!

Enjoy your Coke!

John
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Coke, NEHI, etc...
    There's a small replica general store in downtown Lakeland, about a block from where I work. Sometimes during our lunch break Shelley (my wife) and I will walk over and get a soda...

JG

Nehi - MMmmmmm
    Yum
  • RayTodd
    RayTodd Member Posts: 187
    Options
    jim and i said:

coke or pop
    Had to laugh at the coke or pop. You can tell who was raised North of the Mason/Dixon line. It always takes me awhile to get used to my relatives asking for pop when they come to visit. All pop is coke to me or sometimes I call it soda.

Debbie

coke pop soda lemonade or cool drink
    Growing up in Belfast in the dinasore days we called it all lemonade whether it was cola, creaming soda,orange , or lemon. Here in Australia we call it cool drink.

PS radio starts next Wed
  • RayTodd
    RayTodd Member Posts: 187
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Coke, NEHI, etc...

JG

Nehi
    Is she Radars sister i thought they made that up for him as he is so short LOL
    You learn something new everyday.
    I have always lived by the day you think you know it all is the day you may as well give up.
  • Hondo
    Options
    fisrpotpe said:

Great
    Great to hear you have enjoyed it so much.

I can not do coke either, but i tried Mug Root Beer because some mentioned it somewhere and to my surprise it worked extremely well. Months later I was at a get together. Now mind you I can not do alcohol. Just like the coke i just stopped trying. Getting back to story I saw some plain rum, you guessed it right. I added and well there was no burn. Since i have tried other alcoholic drinks and they do burn. Guess I will stay with R&R on the rocks!

Enjoy your Coke!

John

Hi John

I guess it just goes to show how the body does heal its self giving enough time. I was amazed knowing all the rad damage that I had if anything would ever come back to any kind of normal. I think it is time to start testing a lot of other stuff that has been off my list for so long……

Thanks
    Hondo
  • jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Hondo said:

Soda water

In Honduras we always called it Soda Water; I am not sure why or how it got that name it is just way everyone called it. It also was a different coke then what we got up-here, very strong like pan-cake syrup.

Hondo

Soda water
    Yeah in Florida a lot of those rare birds, native Floridians, call it soda water. My sister who was raised in Middle Ohio was working a fast food place when she first came to Florida when a lady asked for a soda water. So that is what she gave her. LOL The lady did not think it was funny. Just shows you that even in the same country there are different languages.
  • jim and i
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Coke 8OZ Bottles
    I don't traditionally like Coke, but the flavor in the 8OZ. bottles is different and I like those,especially Ice Cold on a hot day.

I was told that the formula or sweetner is different in the 8OZ. bottles..not sure of that though.

Best,
    John

8 oz coke
    I agree, but I also think the glass bottle is part of it to. When growing up the milkman (I married one) delivered glass bottles. Have not liked milk since they put it in plastic.
  • jim and i
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Coke 8OZ Bottles
    I don't traditionally like Coke, but the flavor in the 8OZ. bottles is different and I like those,especially Ice Cold on a hot day.

I was told that the formula or sweetner is different in the 8OZ. bottles..not sure of that though.

Best,
    John

8 oz coke
    I agree, but I also think the glass bottle is part of it to. When growing up the milkman (I married one) delivered glass bottles. Have not liked milk since they put it in plastic.
  • jim and i
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Coke 8OZ Bottles

Best,
    John

8 oz coke
  • jim and i
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Coke 8OZ Bottles

Best,
    John

I agree. But I think it has
    I agree. But I think it has to do with the glass bottle too. I have not liked milk since they started putting it is plastic. I miss the milkman too. Although I married a former milkman. LOL
  • Jan Trinks
    Jan Trinks Member Posts: 477
    Options
    The Real Thing
    Hondo:

So glad you could drink a coke. Being a coke junkie myself (and I never drink those diet drinks - ugh! although, diet Dr. Pepper and Diet 7UP aren't too bad!) Hey enjoy it and they now make an 8 pack that is 7 oz. I get those a lot so I don't waste as much! Glad it tasted good to you.

Jan (Basketcase)
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    jim and i said:

I agree. But I think it has
    I agree. But I think it has to do with the glass bottle too. I have not liked milk since they started putting it is plastic. I miss the milkman too. Although I married a former milkman. LOL

Stutter
    And it makes you stutter also....leats in postings, LOL...just teasing, the site gets slow sometimes and its hard to fight that urge to not hit the post button again.

OK, where in Ohio, and where in Florida....?

JG
  • Hondo
    Options

The Real Thing
    Hondo:

So glad you could drink a coke. Being a coke junkie myself (and I never drink those diet drinks - ugh! although, diet Dr. Pepper and Diet 7UP aren't too bad!) Hey enjoy it and they now make an 8 pack that is 7 oz. I get those a lot so I don't waste as much! Glad it tasted good to you.

Jan (Basketcase)

Hi Jan
    Or should I call you the world traveler, glad to see you back again. I tried my wife 7-up the other day and it was not as good as the coke. And believe it or not but the diet stuff is worse for you then the real thing. I was told it is because of the Aspartame in it, and I use to drink it by the case.

Oh but it is so good tasting to be so bad
    Hondo