2»

Comments

• adventurebob
    adventurebob Member Posts: 691
    Options
    akbear49 said:

Nature
    adventurebob

there is just something about nature that has a healing affect on me as well

went for a walk along Eagle River in Alaska and it felt good just to be out and about

I'm about 3 weeks out since my last radiation treatment so the walks are short ;-)

now if I could just convince the grizzly bears we have around here that I'm not very good eating anymore I'd be happy

Alaska
    Alaska is number 1 on my list of places to go that I haven't been yet. I've been told to plan on moving there if I visit because I won't want to come back. Your rad levels must be dropping if the bears are eyeballing you. What a wonderful place to heal in.

AB
  • akbear49
    akbear49 Member Posts: 51
    Options

Alaska
    Alaska is number 1 on my list of places to go that I haven't been yet. I've been told to plan on moving there if I visit because I won't want to come back. Your rad levels must be dropping if the bears are eyeballing you. What a wonderful place to heal in.

AB

You'll Never Leave
    AB

You're right on, from the sounds of it you're an outdoor guy and Alaska is like an adult playground. There is no middle ground either you love it or you hate it. Folks who don't get out and enjoy our year round activities are soon on a one way departing flight.

We've met a few bears in our 21 years up here. After the first couple of times I decided to carry a 12 gauge shotgun - never met up with a bear after that. Until I left the gun at home and came across a bear between me and where I was returning - had to yield my right of way to him
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    akbear49 said:

Nature
    adventurebob

went for a walk along Eagle River in Alaska and it felt good just to be out and about

I'm about 3 weeks out since my last radiation treatment so the walks are short ;-)

now if I could just convince the grizzly bears we have around here that I'm not very good eating anymore I'd be happy

Peanut Butter Snickers
    now if I could just convince the grizzly bears we have around here that I'm not very good eating anymore I'd be happy,

Good thing you guys don't have sharks up there like I do here in Florida...

Or at least hoping that those Grizzly Bears don't find out about the Peanut Butter Snickers.

Peanut Butter Snickers

Best,
    John
  • RayTodd
    RayTodd Member Posts: 187
    Options
    akbear49 said:

You'll Never Leave
    AB

You're right on, from the sounds of it you're an outdoor guy and Alaska is like an adult playground. There is no middle ground either you love it or you hate it. Folks who don't get out and enjoy our year round activities are soon on a one way departing flight.

We've met a few bears in our 21 years up here. After the first couple of times I decided to carry a 12 gauge shotgun - never met up with a bear after that. Until I left the gun at home and came across a bear between me and where I was returning - had to yield my right of way to him

Bears
    We have two really dangerous bears here in Australia
    1. The drop bear only seen in commercials and if cooperative fall out of trees in the girls camp site next door. hehe

2. A real nasty type the Koala who if you are silly enough to handle will likely pee on you . LOL
    Ray
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    akbear49 said:

Nature
    adventurebob

Hi akbear
    You might be better eating now then what you think because now you are like a Well-done stake. lol

Glad to have you here with us
    Hondo
  • akbear49
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Peanut Butter Snickers
    now if I could just convince the grizzly bears we have around here that I'm not very good eating anymore I'd be happy,

Good thing you guys don't have sharks up there like I do here in Florida...

Or at least hoping that those Grizzly Bears don't find out about the Peanut Butter Snickers.

Peanut Butter Snickers

Best,
    John

Cheese
    Sharks and Peanut Butter Snickers - I'll keep that in mind ;-)

The bears up here love cheese. A number of years ago we were at the Anchorage Zoo, my wife made up cheese sandiwchs for our daughters. The minute the opened the sandwich bags up the big ol' grizzly came right over to us - behind a real big fence. Hmmm - so the girls closed the baggies and we walked over to the far side of the cage - the bear stayed where he was until the girls opened the baggies again -

Needless to say we never carry cheese with us when we head out camping.

Ed
  • akbear49
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi akbear
    You might be better eating now then what you think because now you are like a Well-done stake. lol

Glad to have you here with us
    Hondo

Well done
    Hey Hondo

Yeah, well done and chemically seasoned ;-)

Glad to be here as well
    Ed
  • akbear49
    Options
    RayTodd said:

Bears
    We have two really dangerous bears here in Australia
    1. The drop bear only seen in commercials and if cooperative fall out of trees in the girls camp site next door. hehe

2. A real nasty type the Koala who if you are silly enough to handle will likely pee on you . LOL
    Ray

Australia
    Ray

Australia - now that is someplace high on my list to visit. I volunteer at the Anchorage Visitors Center and run into you Aussies on a fairly frequent basis.

You guys know how to vacation ;-)

Ed
  • Hondo
    Options

Alaska

AB

Alaska
    I would love to see the place but afraid I would freeze to death, I need 85 to 90 degree weather to stay happy.

Guess I will just have to settle for Central America
    Hondo
  • akbear49
    Options
    Hondo said:

Alaska
    I would love to see the place but afraid I would freeze to death, I need 85 to 90 degree weather to stay happy.

Guess I will just have to settle for Central America
    Hondo

100 degrees
    Hey Hondo

Would you believe that it can get up over 100 degrees in the interior? Bet ya didn't know that. Neither did I nor did I believe it when someone told me - then we managed to be in Dawson City and it reached 96 degrees.

Now that is hot when you get used to cooler temps

But then Central America has a lot going for it as well, like no snow to endlessly shovel in the winter.

Ed
  • RayTodd
    Options
    akbear49 said:

Australia
    Ray

Australia - now that is someplace high on my list to visit. I volunteer at the Anchorage Visitors Center and run into you Aussies on a fairly frequent basis.

You guys know how to vacation ;-)

Ed

we do that
    Let me know if you ever make it here but a warning we in Western Australia are the frontier poor country cousins who live in the best part of the country hehe
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    WOW !!!
    Hi Bob, so glad to hear you are back doing what you love, and from reading your post, having much success.

best!!

Mike
  • Greg53
    Greg53 Member Posts: 849
    Options

WOW !!!
    Hi Bob, so glad to hear you are back doing what you love, and from reading your post, having much success.

best!!

Mike

Yahoo!
    Way to go Bob!!!

Great to hear of your recent backpacking trip! Sounds like you are doing well and that is awesome to hear!!

Positive thoughts!

Greg
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options

Sweet
    You don't weigh much more than my backpack so if I need to carry you over a couple passes it can be done. Or we get Deb Lewis to loan us a few of her mules and take the whole gang; oxygen tanks, feeding bags, solar charger for our blenders and humidifiers. Anybody that can get through H&N treatment is tough enough to get over a couple little mountains.

AB

Sounds Like Big Times
    Sounds great so far. Think I'd be much better off (but out of my league) with you and Sweet, AB. I brought the trip up again to part of my family this past weekend. I actually got a couple takers - but cabin or hotel only, they said - no camping. And a couple others said they'd like to go, but didn't want to go wandering around in the wilderness, and wondered if there was some shopping or something fun to do. As far as getting over a couple little mountains - bring on Deb and the mules - and I'd better start doing some work on my shoulder and arm.
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options
    RayTodd said:

good grief
    All i had planned post treatment was Bali in April for my 60th birthday I feel insignificant LOL

Not Insignificant At All
    RayTodd, Bali sounds magnificent, too. Oh, hint hint - Sweet and AB and Deb and the mules and I would LOVE Bali.
  • Hondo
    Options

positively
    I move a little slower than I used to but get to see so much more.

AB

Bob the next time to go for a trip like that give me a call, I like to see something different then Louisianan. I did go to Honduras a few weeks ago and man I tell you God is amazing in his creation. The beautiful mountains, crystal clear Oceans, and Islands all in the same area, what a place to live.

Thanks
    Hondo
  • RayTodd
    Options
    Pam M said:

Not Insignificant At All
    RayTodd, Bali sounds magnificent, too. Oh, hint hint - Sweet and AB and Deb and the mules and I would LOVE Bali.

Bali
    You would be welcome but i guess its a bit far for most of you and for us its a 3.5 hr flt So far i have an offer of 14 nights accom,airfares and breakfast for au$890-00 can't beat that well maybe I can prob 21 nights approx au$1300-00.
    Live like a king and even the culture is stress free.
    So AB might enjoy the Mountain bikeing or the white water rafting or the scuba diving or or or LOL