Backpacking

Hey guys,

Just got back from my first backpacking trip since treatment ended about 7 months ago. Spent about a week in the Southern Sierras almost all above 10,000 feet. Put in a little over 30 miles. Had to cross a couple glaciers and go over a few 12,000 foot passes. This was probably the most difficult trip I've ever done and maybe the most rewarding. Nature was really putting on a show with the flowers. I've posted a bunch of pics from the trip on my space under expressions. Just wanted to remind you all that we can and do recover from cancer and treatment and that life is maybe even more amazing and beautiful than it was before. I thought of you all while I was up there and wished you could have been with me. If this is something you would be interested in doing; send me a pm. I would love to show you some amazing places and have plenty of extra gear.

AB

Comments

• jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    AB, sounds like a wonderful
    AB, sounds like a wonderful trip. Very encouraging to know that there is life after treatment.
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Oh My Goodness
    Loved your pics - thanks for sharing. I keep telling my family (here in Kentucky, we are including aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, grands and some who are neither blood nor legal relation) that I want to visit a nearly-nearby "hiking tourist trap" (Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge). So far, all I can get is a few "maybe next fall" replies (Iwant to go in the fall - Kentucky is "most beautious" then). Anyway . . . your pics make me REALLY want to get out there - on a much smaller scale than you, but out there, nonetheless. Very glad you're "out there" again.
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    WOW!
    Totally amazing pix! I am so glad that you were able to do something that you love so much, again.

I wish I could go too. I know you say you have extra gear, but to bring me, you would require someone really strong to carry my lame arse after the first mile, as well as paddles, and oxygen tank..... Lol.

Thanks for sharing those lovely pictures.
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    You did what?,

That is great to hear, positive thinking and positive motives produces positive results.

All the best
    Hondo
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Is That All......
    "Spent about a week in the Southern Sierras almost all above 10,000 feet. Put in a little over 30 miles. Had to cross a couple glaciers and go over a few 12,000 foot passes.

Man,is that all you could squeak out...., LOL.

Just teasing, you did great, sounds like an awesome trip. I used to hike some in Hawaii, nothing like what you describe. It's like no other feeling being out in nature.

To me that's part of fishing and being out in my boat on early mornings. When the sun just starts peaking out and the water is like glass....

I'm still like a kid when it comes to fishing, the closer I get to actually putting in and getting on the water, the more excited I get.

Glad you are able to get back to doing what you love...

Awesome photos as well....

Best,
    John
  • Jimbo55
    Jimbo55 Member Posts: 590 Member
    Bob
    Excellent. Sounds like you really got into it. I can relate to the feeling of getting out and doing something that you love after going through all that we have. It must have felt magical. I hope someday to take you up on your offer, but I'd have to leave my wife behind, she's not that much into hiking. Cheers.

Jimbo
  • RayTodd
    RayTodd Member Posts: 187
    good grief
    All i had planned post treatment was Bali in April for my 60th birthday I feel insignificant LOL
  • fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    Congrats!
    Great to hear you had a wonderful time and all went well.

We were there with you pushing you along....

John
  • adventurebob
    adventurebob Member Posts: 691
    Pam M said:

Oh My Goodness
    Loved your pics - thanks for sharing. I keep telling my family (here in Kentucky, we are including aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, grands and some who are neither blood nor legal relation) that I want to visit a nearly-nearby "hiking tourist trap" (Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge). So far, all I can get is a few "maybe next fall" replies (Iwant to go in the fall - Kentucky is "most beautious" then). Anyway . . . your pics make me REALLY want to get out there - on a much smaller scale than you, but out there, nonetheless. Very glad you're "out there" again.

Pam,

I don't get back that direction too often but when I do I'm picking you up and taking you to the Gorge. I've been reading about the rock climbing there in climbing mags for the last 20 years and would love to see the place. I'll bring an extra harness and shoes for you.

AB
  • adventurebob

WOW!
    Totally amazing pix! I am so glad that you were able to do something that you love so much, again.

I wish I could go too. I know you say you have extra gear, but to bring me, you would require someone really strong to carry my lame arse after the first mile, as well as paddles, and oxygen tank..... Lol.

Thanks for sharing those lovely pictures.

Sweet
    You don't weigh much more than my backpack so if I need to carry you over a couple passes it can be done. Or we get Deb Lewis to loan us a few of her mules and take the whole gang; oxygen tanks, feeding bags, solar charger for our blenders and humidifiers. Anybody that can get through H&N treatment is tough enough to get over a couple little mountains.

AB
  • adventurebob
    Skiffin16 said:

Is That All......
    "Spent about a week in the Southern Sierras almost all above 10,000 feet. Put in a little over 30 miles. Had to cross a couple glaciers and go over a few 12,000 foot passes.

Man,is that all you could squeak out...., LOL.

Just teasing, you did great, sounds like an awesome trip. I used to hike some in Hawaii, nothing like what you describe. It's like no other feeling being out in nature.

To me that's part of fishing and being out in my boat on early mornings. When the sun just starts peaking out and the water is like glass....

I'm still like a kid when it comes to fishing, the closer I get to actually putting in and getting on the water, the more excited I get.

Glad you are able to get back to doing what you love...

Awesome photos as well....

Best,
    John

Nature heals
    Your excitement is exactly how I feel as I get closer to the trailhead and as I round the bend of a canyon or reach the summit of a peak; just so excited to see what's next! I've done a little backpacking over on the Big Island. Packed over to the most beautiful valley: Waimanu. Just over a couple ridges from Waipio. Like nowhere else I've ever been.

AB
  • Lelia
    Lelia Member Posts: 98
    A triumph
    ABob, I just love hearing of your return to nature after conquering cancer, it's inspiring. Love the photos too, and your captions, you seem like an awesome dude.
  • adventurebob
    Jimbo55 said:

Bob
    Excellent. Sounds like you really got into it. I can relate to the feeling of getting out and doing something that you love after going through all that we have. It must have felt magical. I hope someday to take you up on your offer, but I'd have to leave my wife behind, she's not that much into hiking. Cheers.

Jimbo

anytime Jimbo
    We could set her up at basecamp with a nice big comfortable tent and an inflatable mattress and a perfect view.
  • adventurebob
    Hondo said:

You did what?,

That is great to hear, positive thinking and positive motives produces positive results.

All the best
    Hondo

positively
    I move a little slower than I used to but get to see so much more.

AB
  • adventurebob
    fisrpotpe said:

Congrats!
    Great to hear you had a wonderful time and all went well.

We were there with you pushing you along....

John

Yes you were
    I totally felt the pushing going over the passes. Just like treatment. Couldn't have done it without y'all.

AB
  • adventurebob
    Lelia said:

A triumph
    ABob, I just love hearing of your return to nature after conquering cancer, it's inspiring. Love the photos too, and your captions, you seem like an awesome dude.

It feels so good to be alive!
    I always have appreciated nature and how close it brings me to God. It's even more profound and powerful now. The healing continues.

AB
  • jeepman
    jeepman Member Posts: 109

It feels so good to be alive!
    I always have appreciated nature and how close it brings me to God. It's even more profound and powerful now. The healing continues.

AB

Bob,
    Do you think you could

Bob,

Do you think you could lay a trip on for Els and I? We love to trek/climb and are looking forward to doing something post-treatment to bring us closer to nature, each other and god. I cannot imagine that a trek would not mean more post-treatment than ever. Even the birds look and sound more beautiful to me now than ever.

Mike
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228

Sweet
    You don't weigh much more than my backpack so if I need to carry you over a couple passes it can be done. Or we get Deb Lewis to loan us a few of her mules and take the whole gang; oxygen tanks, feeding bags, solar charger for our blenders and humidifiers. Anybody that can get through H&N treatment is tough enough to get over a couple little mountains.

AB

Lol! Have pack mule, will travel.
    I am not so tiny anymore. Lol. I am almost back to my old weight now. Must be all those smoothies, eggs Benedict, and other stuff I'm always shoveling in my face. I need to do a calorie re-assement again. Lol
  • akbear49
    akbear49 Member Posts: 51
    Nature
    adventurebob

there is just something about nature that has a healing affect on me as well

went for a walk along Eagle River in Alaska and it felt good just to be out and about

I'm about 3 weeks out since my last radiation treatment so the walks are short ;-)

now if I could just convince the grizzly bears we have around here that I'm not very good eating anymore I'd be happy
  • adventurebob
    jeepman said:

Bob,
    Do you think you could

Bob,

Do you think you could lay a trip on for Els and I? We love to trek/climb and are looking forward to doing something post-treatment to bring us closer to nature, each other and god. I cannot imagine that a trek would not mean more post-treatment than ever. Even the birds look and sound more beautiful to me now than ever.

Mike

Mike
    I would love to plan a trip for you guys. Would you want to come out West or go with something back East? Let me know what you're thinking and I can set it all up and even guide it for you if you want. Ever been to Yosemite or Grand Canyon?

AB