PET Scan - Updated Official Results

Skiffin16
Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
edited August 2011 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
Not a clear cut clean PET....need to see what my ENT has to say.

Actually got the unofficial results yesterday…, but I don’t think anything to worry about as of yet.

They used a new machine and picked up a slight change from the past PET.

Mildly increased radiotracer uptake in the region of the left palatine tonsil and tongue. Findings are likely due to normal physiological processes. Residual or recurrent tumor is unlikely. Findings may alternatively be secondary to post treatment changes. Please correlate clinically. No other foci or abnormally increased radiotracer uptake are identified. Follow up is recommended to ensure stability of these findings.

The radiotracer uptake in the region of the left palatine tonsil is new since the prior study.

My tonsil cancer and lymphnode were on the right, but they did remove both tonsils and zapped both sides with radiation.

Not really sure what is meant by, “Findings may alternatively be secondary to post treatment changes.”

So, I’m not really sure at this point until I see what my ENT has to say this coming Monday.

It did say that "No other foci or abnormal radiotracer uptake are identified in the head & neck region. There is no lymphadenopathy. No foci of abmormally increased radiotracer uptake are identified in the chest, abdomen, or pelvis. Normal uptake and excretion of radiotracer is noted."

So at least nothing else is appearing to be going on....

****UPDATED RESULTS****

OK, had my "official" appointment with my ENT today going over the results, scope,poked and probed...

He feels that the residual is just common long lasting changes in tissue due to radiation and nothing new to be concerned about. Continue on the regime of six month scopes and scans.

He actually said today that he considers you cured ath three years...unfortunately I have a few more months to get there, LOL....

Couldn't say the same for my sense of humor, unfortunately, no cure for that.

Thanks for all of the thoughts, prayers and well wishes.

Best,
John

Comments

• KareGiver
    KareGiver Member Posts: 301 Member
    New Machine
    John, most likely (and of course, most hopefully!) it was the machine. After having my first digital mammogram after having film all those years, they found several things - and actually told me to expect it because of the clarity. Technology! In the meantime, until Monday, put out your "gone fishin'" sign. I am sure the waiting is the hardest part...Take care!
  • jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    KareGiver said:

New Machine
    John, most likely (and of course, most hopefully!) it was the machine. After having my first digital mammogram after having film all those years, they found several things - and actually told me to expect it because of the clarity. Technology! In the meantime, until Monday, put out your "gone fishin'" sign. I am sure the waiting is the hardest part...Take care!

John,
    Maybe “Findings may

John,

Maybe “Findings may alternatively be secondary to post treatment changes.”

means scar tissue. Here is praying for good outcome and no worries. Go catch fish!

Debbie
  • Skiffin16
    KareGiver said:

New Machine

My Presumption Also
    That's what I'm going for as well...the newer machine is supposedly more detail oriented, so hopefully that's all it is.

My ENT is top notch, he's a touchy, feely, poking and probing guy. The machines and technology are great, but to him just tools, the real expert is him.

John
  • DrMary
    DrMary Member Posts: 531 Member
    Skiffin16 said:

My Presumption Also
    That's what I'm going for as well...the newer machine is supposedly more detail oriented, so hopefully that's all it is.

My ENT is top notch, he's a touchy, feely, poking and probing guy. The machines and technology are great, but to him just tools, the real expert is him.

John

What do they know?
    Asking for correlation sounds like they don't know what your treatment history is (a good thing, as you don't want them making assumptions) so they are saying, "could be an artifact of previous radiation or surgery" to which the ENT is supposed to say, "yup, that's it," after he pokes and feels just to make sure.

When do you see the ENT? All in all, this sounds pretty good.
  • CLRRN
    CLRRN Member Posts: 127
    Interesting choice of words.....
    John,

Based on your description of your ENT below I'm sure he will check out that area thoroughly and compare to the PET findings.

Let's call it a "Cloudy PET" :)

Glad all else is clear. It's nice to see "no lymphadenopathy".

Keep us posted!!

Thoughts and prayers....

Chris/Mike
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    New Machine Makes Sense
    Good to see "Residual or recurrent tumor is unlikely." - especially when you remember the medical pros like to err on the side of caution. Do you know what they mean by "Please correlate clinically."? I'm voting for good news now - better news Monday.
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    SIMILLAR TO MY FIRST CHEST CT
    John, kind of a simillar description was used when my initial chest CT was done. The follow up confirmed there was no issue.

Positive thoughts and a prayer for a great ENT visit.

Try to enjoy your day.

Mike
  • Skiffin16
    Thanks All
    I agree that the more I think about it that the “Findings may alternatively be secondary to post treatment changes.” could possibly mean as a result of prior treatment. I just wasn't sure as he already stated something similar to that.

Overall, I'm not really that apprehensive as I feel based on the comments that he provided, nothing seems to be going on anywhere else. That there is something that appears mildly different than before near my left tonsil area but that doesn't appear to be cancer related, but needs to be monitored or looked at a little closer and over time for stability.

My ENT will thoroughly check it out on Monday and advise me of his thoughts concerning.

Best,
    John
  • Landranger25
    Landranger25 Member Posts: 210 Member
    Skiffin16 said:

Thanks All
    I agree that the more I think about it that the “Findings may alternatively be secondary to post treatment changes.” could possibly mean as a result of prior treatment. I just wasn't sure as he already stated something similar to that.

Overall, I'm not really that apprehensive as I feel based on the comments that he provided, nothing seems to be going on anywhere else. That there is something that appears mildly different than before near my left tonsil area but that doesn't appear to be cancer related, but needs to be monitored or looked at a little closer and over time for stability.

My ENT will thoroughly check it out on Monday and advise me of his thoughts concerning.

Best,
    John

Great news John!
    So glad to hear this news. Keep it up and I wish you and your family the best.

Mike
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    All in all it doesn't sound
    All in all it doesn't sound like bad news, sounds like you don't need to worry, and keep us posted with what he says Monday.
  • ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member

All in all it doesn't sound
    All in all it doesn't sound like bad news, sounds like you don't need to worry, and keep us posted with what he says Monday.

"It's a Clean Scan"
    My Omcologist would call that one a "It's a clean scan for you, Rat" John, thats the way mine have always come back. In the cancer world , even scans get a new normal category of their own. Go celebrate!
  • rozaroo
    rozaroo Member Posts: 665
    ratface said:

"It's a Clean Scan"
    My Omcologist would call that one a "It's a clean scan for you, Rat" John, thats the way mine have always come back. In the cancer world , even scans get a new normal category of their own. Go celebrate!

Mine was similar
    I am thinking it's all good! Enjoy polishing up the boat & get ready for fishing bud!
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi John
    I am not sure why they can’t just put it in plain English, I too get very confused when trying to read my PET scans and find that no two doctors read it the same way. My oncl dr was saying one thing and my ENT sometime different on my last PET, makes me wonder. Keep fishing and keep strong, vacation almost done will be back in the USA on Friday.

Hondo
  • Skiffin16
    Thanks Family
    And my Abi-Normal buds....buddette's..

Tim, has your son gone back home or is he still in Tampa,haven't heard so he's either busy or having way too much fun, LOL....

Have a safe trip home, hope you had an awesome time.

Best,
    John
  • Skiffin16
    KareGiver said:

New Machine

ENT Monday
    Ya, I think the MD that reads the results and writes the report just needs to cover himself with the "I don't think anything is going on, but there is something that's different from last time, so the ENT which ordered it should follow-up"...., LOL.

JG
  • fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    ratface said:

"It's a Clean Scan"

Second
    I agree with ratface, it's like radar has become over the years... it shows rain but it is not raining. I like scans as they give a reason to look closer. New normal scans with the new technoligy.

Prayers going out for your doctors, that that see and more importantly feel (with the touchy feely) is what it is all about.

Not bad until bad, not something till it is something, nothing is nothing....

right now nothing is nothing

Head up, light feel with the fishing pole and have some fun.

Prayers continue for wisdom for both you, your family and doctors.

John
  • Jimbo55
    Jimbo55 Member Posts: 590 Member
    Thinking Positive
    John, I have no clue how to decipher what they are saying, but sure am hoping for the best for you. Cheers.

Jimbo
  • Jan Trinks
    Jan Trinks Member Posts: 477
    Sounds Pretty Good
    John:

I agree with Sweet. Doesn't sound bad to me! Hope everything is explained in plain English to you next week. Keep up the good work! God Bless!

Jan (Basketcase)
  • arndog64
    arndog64 Member Posts: 537

Sounds Pretty Good
    John:

I agree with Sweet. Doesn't sound bad to me! Hope everything is explained in plain English to you next week. Keep up the good work! God Bless!

Jan (Basketcase)

Sounds like everything is
    Sounds like everything is just fine.. Soon you will be doing the 2 year jig. LOL!!
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    arndog64 said:

Sounds like everything is
    Sounds like everything is just fine.. Soon you will be doing the 2 year jig. LOL!!

Sounds encouraging!!!
    Sounds like encouraging news!!! Will be keeping you in my prayers Monday that the ENT say "All Clear".

Enjoy the good news and relax with your usual weekend fishing!!