Two time survivor - third diagnosis

Options

Comments

• missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options

HI Pam
    Sorry we had to meet this way..this is great board...much helpful info here..

sorry you are going through all this..again...I"ll be thinking of you

Denise

Hi Pam, Welcome
    Even though I'm sure you'd rather be somewhere else! As others have said--the support on this board is wonderful. I've gotten such good advice, encouragement, love and just a place to spout off once in a while--with no judgement.

Sounds like you have a wonderful partner to help you through--that is priceless. Hang in there. Sounds like you are one strong woman and you will get through this again. Come here often.

Sending tons of positive energy and prayers.

Hugs, Renee
  • Pam5
    Pam5 Member Posts: 232
    Options

Hi Pam,
    Give that Andie a big hug from us for taking such great care of you. I am so glad she was able to persuade you to come personally to this board. Unfortunately through our cancer we've become a close family. I personally didn't wear false eyelashes either. My brows and lashes thinned out but never completely fell out. It wasn't until after they started growing back post chemo that I lost the ones that hung around, it seemed the new folicles pushed them out for new growth. I went the stencil route as well, if you take an old plastic milk carton you can cut a flat piece from that. Place that over your current brow and use a marker to draw your brow. Cut out the area you just marked and voila a cheep eyebrow stencil.

The hair unfortunately there isn't much you can do there, I ended up shaving mine a couple of weeks after my first infusion. I'm not modest I just wore hats and scarves. My last infusion was Jan. 7th of this year and as of today I am sporting about an inch and a half of new hair growth with lots of cute little curls which I've never had before.

Anyways.. I just wanted to extend my open arms as well and welcome you to the pink sisterhood.

Hugs,
    Lorrie

Hi Ladies,
    Thank you for

Hi Ladies,

Thank you for welcoming me so warmly. I appreciate all your feedback. I am using Biotene tooth paste and mouthwash. The doc also gave me a script for something they call Magic Mouthwash, which is a combination of things the pharmacy puts together. All of these things helps a lot but it took the whole week. Maybe the burning would have lasted longer.
    I'm going to play around with the stencil. Right now, I still have my brows and lashes. However, I am beginning to shed my hair. I have a bunch of lovely scarves and a few hats so it's all good. Actually, the sooner it goes, the closer I will be to the end of this process. I begin chemo #2 next Tuesday. I'm not a candidate for Hercepton so I just have to deal with the two drugs. In the meantime, I will enjoy this week of feeling good and will stay in touch with all of you.

Take care,
    Pam
  • Pam5
    Options

Hi Pam,
    Give that Andie a big hug from us for taking such great care of you. I am so glad she was able to persuade you to come personally to this board. Unfortunately through our cancer we've become a close family. I personally didn't wear false eyelashes either. My brows and lashes thinned out but never completely fell out. It wasn't until after they started growing back post chemo that I lost the ones that hung around, it seemed the new folicles pushed them out for new growth. I went the stencil route as well, if you take an old plastic milk carton you can cut a flat piece from that. Place that over your current brow and use a marker to draw your brow. Cut out the area you just marked and voila a cheep eyebrow stencil.

The hair unfortunately there isn't much you can do there, I ended up shaving mine a couple of weeks after my first infusion. I'm not modest I just wore hats and scarves. My last infusion was Jan. 7th of this year and as of today I am sporting about an inch and a half of new hair growth with lots of cute little curls which I've never had before.

Anyways.. I just wanted to extend my open arms as well and welcome you to the pink sisterhood.

Hugs,
    Lorrie

Hi Ladies,
    Thank you for

Hi Ladies,

Thank you for welcoming me so warmly. I appreciate all your feedback. I am using Biotene tooth paste and mouthwash. The doc also gave me a script for something they call Magic Mouthwash, which is a combination of things the pharmacy puts together. All of these things helps a lot but it took the whole week. Maybe the burning would have lasted longer.
    I'm going to play around with the stencil. Right now, I still have my brows and lashes. However, I am beginning to shed my hair. I have a bunch of lovely scarves and a few hats so it's all good. Actually, the sooner it goes, the closer I will be to the end of this process. I begin chemo #2 next Tuesday. I'm not a candidate for Hercepton so I just have to deal with the two drugs. In the meantime, I will enjoy this week of feeling good and will stay in touch with all of you.

Take care,
    Pam
  • Pam5
    Options

Hi Pam,

Hugs,
    Lorrie

Hi Ladies,
    Thank you for

Hi Ladies,

Take care,
    Pam
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi Pam -- Good to see you
    Hi Pam -- Good to see you here. I am sorry you are dealing with this ... again. You have great support. I wanted to wish you a smooth recovery.

We are here for you.
  • renee616
    renee616 Member Posts: 181
    Options

Hi Pam -- Good to see you
    Hi Pam -- Good to see you here. I am sorry you are dealing with this ... again. You have great support. I wanted to wish you a smooth recovery.

We are here for you.

Hi Pam
    Hi Pam
    I draw my eyebrows on every day.....theres a light growth coming in that helps me stay in line! I've gotten pretty good but its one of those little nusances that I look forward to not having to bother with! eyelasl loss just caused tearing alot for me, other wise i hardly missed them...but i use alot of eyeliner! Good luck again! I know you can do this with the good support you have! It makes a world of difference!
    Hugs & well wishes on getting through treatment & healthy again!
    Renee
  • Pam5
    Options
    renee616 said:

Hi Pam
    Hi Pam
    I draw my eyebrows on every day.....theres a light growth coming in that helps me stay in line! I've gotten pretty good but its one of those little nusances that I look forward to not having to bother with! eyelasl loss just caused tearing alot for me, other wise i hardly missed them...but i use alot of eyeliner! Good luck again! I know you can do this with the good support you have! It makes a world of difference!
    Hugs & well wishes on getting through treatment & healthy again!
    Renee

I am fascinated about my
    I am fascinated about my hair coming out. I wonder how long I have til I have it shaved. It was fairly long and I had it cut quite short - pixie style. I had forgotten how easy and how much cooler it is. I just couldn't bear to see my long hair come out in clumps. I'm really glad I cut it.

I use quite a bit of eyeliner now but I stopped using mascara after the first chemo treatment. I probably won't use false eyelashes. I never have and I'm at an age where they would probably look a bit silly.

I thank you all for your prayers, light, hugs, etc. I am a huge believer in the power and energy of prayer, as is Andie. I will keep all of you in my prayers too.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    Pam5 said:

Hi Ladies,
    Thank you for

Hi Ladies,

Take care,
    Pam

Welcoming you to the site
    Welcoming you to the site Pam and letting you know also that I will be praying for you. You certainly have a good partner! Good luck!

Lex
  • mollieb
    mollieb Member Posts: 148
    Options
    Pam5 said:

I am fascinated about my
    I am fascinated about my hair coming out. I wonder how long I have til I have it shaved. It was fairly long and I had it cut quite short - pixie style. I had forgotten how easy and how much cooler it is. I just couldn't bear to see my long hair come out in clumps. I'm really glad I cut it.

I use quite a bit of eyeliner now but I stopped using mascara after the first chemo treatment. I probably won't use false eyelashes. I never have and I'm at an age where they would probably look a bit silly.

I thank you all for your prayers, light, hugs, etc. I am a huge believer in the power and energy of prayer, as is Andie. I will keep all of you in my prayers too.

Hair Loss
    Day 16 seems to be a big day for head shaving -- it was my day and it seems to have been the day for at least several others who post here. I'm on my second round of BC -- lumpectomy and radiation the first time seven years ago; mastectomy, (current) chemo and (upcoming) radiation this time. My oncologist very cheerfully told me I'm "cancer prone." Great. I, too, have a great partner - my husband of 28 years - and I know it makes a tremendous difference to have that support. Tell Andie we know she will be stressed, too, and we are here for her if she needs to vent. Mary
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    Pam5 said:

Hi Ladies,
    Thank you for

Hi Ladies,

Take care,
    Pam

Hi Pam. Your friend Ande
    Hi Pam. Your friend Ande has been posting and I hope that we have made both of you feel comfortable on the site. We are a friendly bunch. LOL

Good luck with chemo today. Let us know how you do.

HUGS!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    missrenee said:

Hi Pam, Welcome
    Even though I'm sure you'd rather be somewhere else! As others have said--the support on this board is wonderful. I've gotten such good advice, encouragement, love and just a place to spout off once in a while--with no judgement.

Sounds like you have a wonderful partner to help you through--that is priceless. Hang in there. Sounds like you are one strong woman and you will get through this again. Come here often.

Sending tons of positive energy and prayers.

Hugs, Renee

I'm sending you lots of
    I'm sending you lots of positive thoughts, prayers and cyber hugs!

Hugs,

Debby
  • Pam5
    Options
    mollieb said:

Hair Loss
    Day 16 seems to be a big day for head shaving -- it was my day and it seems to have been the day for at least several others who post here. I'm on my second round of BC -- lumpectomy and radiation the first time seven years ago; mastectomy, (current) chemo and (upcoming) radiation this time. My oncologist very cheerfully told me I'm "cancer prone." Great. I, too, have a great partner - my husband of 28 years - and I know it makes a tremendous difference to have that support. Tell Andie we know she will be stressed, too, and we are here for her if she needs to vent. Mary

Well today was the day. I
    Well today was the day. I went to run my fingers through my hair after my shower this morning and came away with a handful of hair. During the day more and more came out. I knew it would happen but I don't think I was quite ready. Our friend Patti came over with clippers and took it way down. Actually I look bald but without the shine yet. I have to go out to lunch tomorrow and I can't decide if I should go au natural or wear a scarf. It's going to be in the 90's but the restaurant will be air-conditioned. I don' want to scare anybody. Did any of you go natural? I would love feedback on this.

Take care,
    Pam
  • Andie3
    Andie3 Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Pam5 said:

Well today was the day. I went to run my fingers through my hair after my shower this morning and came away with a handful of hair. During the day more and more came out. I knew it would happen but I don't think I was quite ready. Our friend Patti came over with clippers and took it way down. Actually I look bald but without the shine yet. I have to go out to lunch tomorrow and I can't decide if I should go au natural or wear a scarf. It's going to be in the 90's but the restaurant will be air-conditioned. I don' want to scare anybody. Did any of you go natural? I would love feedback on this.

Take care,
    Pam

looking great
    I just wanted to jump in here and say that even though I've always loved Pam's hair, she looks really beautiful with it shaved. I'm so glad I was able to share the experience with her!

andie
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Pam5 said:

Take care,
    Pam

You will be beautiful Pam
    You will be beautiful Pam natural or with a scarf! Remember that and believe it!

Sue :)
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    camul said:

Pam, Glad you found this site.
    The support has been tremendous, and the knowledge is first hand. This is a great group of women whom have really helped me on this journey, and I am sure that you will feel the same.

You are right, this is overwhelming and it is so nice to have people that you can say it sucks too who really do understand.

~Carol

I am glad that Andie and you
    I am glad that Andie and you found this site. It is great, isn't it? We will help you in anyway that we can thru your journey.

Good luck,

Leeza
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    hi Pam
    I suspect that you did not have chemo before since I don't think they did it back then. Drink lots and lots of water. You probably have been told this but the reminder is good anyway. Glad to hear about the biotene. There is a cheaper alternative of baking soda, salt, and warm water but it tastes icky and I do not have the exact porportions of ingredients.

I have several fishermen hats as they seem the easiest to take off and put on. I have scarves and put them on my head so I look like Aunt Jemima but this takes time but looks good. I go naked head at home and in my yard. I have several hats in the car so that if I leave without remembering it I have one handy. I must wear one at work because I work in mental health and I don't want the clients worrying about me. I even have a story for if they discover I am bald. I will tell them that I have a bet going with my son to buy an airplane ticket if I keep a bald head. A little white lie that will not hurt and keep them from worrying.

So glad to hear about the many years between bc diagnosises for you. It was 18 years between my grandmothers breast cancer and her pancreatic cancer so she lived to about 80 or so. This gives me hope as she had no chemo or radiation back then either, as they did not know to do this back then. I suspect if we can take the chemo and radiation we could stave off more bc but we also will need to watch for other situations it creates. I concentrate on taking good care of my heart as I have high blood pressure which is controlled by medication. Since I am only 54 I want to live a few more years so I will need to keep an eye on such things.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    camul said:

The support has been tremendous, and the knowledge is first hand. This is a great group of women whom have really helped me on this journey, and I am sure that you will feel the same.

You are right, this is overwhelming and it is so nice to have people that you can say it sucks too who really do understand.

~Carol

I can't imagine having to
    I can't imagine having to fight the beast more than once. My heart goes out to you.

Offering strength, love and prayers.

Hugs, Diane
  • DianeBC
    Options
    camul said:

~Carol

I can't imagine having to
    I can't imagine having to fight the beast more than once. My heart goes out to you.

Offering strength, love and prayers.

Hugs, Diane
  • DianeBC
    Options

HI Pam
    Sorry we had to meet this way..this is great board...much helpful info here..

sorry you are going through all this..again...I"ll be thinking of you

Denise

Good to see you posting
    Good to see you posting Denise. How are you!
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options

hi Pam
    I suspect that you did not have chemo before since I don't think they did it back then. Drink lots and lots of water. You probably have been told this but the reminder is good anyway. Glad to hear about the biotene. There is a cheaper alternative of baking soda, salt, and warm water but it tastes icky and I do not have the exact porportions of ingredients.

I have several fishermen hats as they seem the easiest to take off and put on. I have scarves and put them on my head so I look like Aunt Jemima but this takes time but looks good. I go naked head at home and in my yard. I have several hats in the car so that if I leave without remembering it I have one handy. I must wear one at work because I work in mental health and I don't want the clients worrying about me. I even have a story for if they discover I am bald. I will tell them that I have a bet going with my son to buy an airplane ticket if I keep a bald head. A little white lie that will not hurt and keep them from worrying.

So glad to hear about the many years between bc diagnosises for you. It was 18 years between my grandmothers breast cancer and her pancreatic cancer so she lived to about 80 or so. This gives me hope as she had no chemo or radiation back then either, as they did not know to do this back then. I suspect if we can take the chemo and radiation we could stave off more bc but we also will need to watch for other situations it creates. I concentrate on taking good care of my heart as I have high blood pressure which is controlled by medication. Since I am only 54 I want to live a few more years so I will need to keep an eye on such things.

Hi Pam!
    Sorry it took so long to welcome you aboard. It's good that you found this site and you'll find lots of support here. As to hair loss, mine started on day 9 about a week to 10 days before it was "supposed to". But, we're all different even though we're walking the same path. Best of luck as you battle again. Sending prayers.