The end has come

TRK411
TRK411 Member Posts: 18 Member
For those of you who have read my previous posts regarding my dad, I am sad to announce that he passed away last night. He originally had the MIE with Dr. Luketich on May 20 and experienced significant complications over the last two months. Several weeks ago they put a stent in due to a leak. Three days ago they went in to remove the stent and take a look at everything. Ultimately, they ended up putting a bigger stent in. After the procedure he was in the anesthesia recovery room doing well. However, 2 hours later he began coughing up blood. They rushed him back to do another scope, which really showed nothing but blood. They took him to radiology to do an angiogram, but by that point the bleeding had stopped on its own. He has sent back to SICU, where he seemed to be recovering well. However, I got a call from my mom yesterday that he started bleeding again. Blood was coming out of his mouth, trach, and JP tubes. They rushed him back to the OR. When the doctors came out, they indicated that he had developed a fistula between the esophagus and aorta. They said quite literally that they 'had their finger on it' so that he would not bleed out. Surgeons from cardio came down to see what they could do, but he was not tolerating the procedure well. In the end, the doctors came out around 10:30pm to let us know that he did not make it. I think what stings the most is that he had the MIE to rid himself of cancer and to extend his life. It's a shame that, after 60 some days of hospital stay after the MIE, he never got to come home. Sometimes life just isn't fair.

Tom

Comments

• Daisylin
    Daisylin Member Posts: 365
    Tom
    I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your dad. You are so right, sometimes life is just not fair. I hope you find comfort knowing that he's not suffering any more. Thinking of you and your family.
    Chantal
  • paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    I am so sorry to hear about your Dad
    Tom,

I am very sad to hear that your Dad has let us.

May God gather him in his loving arms and provide you and your family peace during this difficult time.

With condolances,

Paul Adams
    McCormick, South Carolina
  • sandy1943
    sandy1943 Member Posts: 824
    So sorry that your dad has
    So sorry that your dad has passed away. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    I pray for God's comfort for you and family,
    Sandra
  • rose20
    rose20 Member Posts: 258
    My heart is so sad for you...
    Tom, it was so sad to read your post this morning.
    I feel for your whole family.
    It does seem so unfair that some get to live it seems while others who do all they can do just die.
    Life here is unfair but I have learned to look passed this life and look to the Lord and His Word.
    He tells us He has everything in His Hands, and that includes life and death.
    He tells us He has a plan and He also tells us His ways are not our ways and this is so true.
    Many times 'His ways" hurts so very much.
    I sure can't understand so much that happens but I am not to understand but just trust. Trust in what my eyes cannot see.
    I do know that God loves you and even though you may not understand, God does care and I pray that you will feel His love and comfort.
    I will be praying for your mom as well.
    I know it may seem like I talk about God a lot but I can't help it if it wasn't for Him I don't know where I would be today.
    Losing my son was losing me too.
    I was so lost inside and didn't even know myself anymore.
    Our world changed seemed like we were placed on a different planet and left to fend for ourselves. But God was with us and helped us to learn how to cope in a world without our son. I owe the Lord so much because even to this very day my heart breaks anew for my dear child and that is when I run to the Lord and He helps me once again.
    He will do the same for you and your family.
    He will be your strength in the days ahead.
    Your precious dad did all he could humanly do.
    May you feel peace in the midst of your sorrow.
  • json_2011
    json_2011 Member Posts: 100
    sorry
    I never had really talked to you on this chat , but i did just say a prayer for you your father , and your family.... NO life sure can throw some plans down the drain - we all hear can vouch. You be strong for the rest of your family and may God bless you .

Jason
  • casp42
    casp42 Member Posts: 79
    json_2011 said:

sorry
    I never had really talked to you on this chat , but i did just say a prayer for you your father , and your family.... NO life sure can throw some plans down the drain - we all hear can vouch. You be strong for the rest of your family and may God bless you .

Jason

so sorry
    Tom,
    My thoughts and prayers are with you. Prayers for you and your family.

Carolyn
  • ArchTB
    ArchTB Member Posts: 150
    Condolences
    Tom, my sincere condolences to you and your family. I am deeply sorry your father had to go through so much suffering. You are so right - life is unfair. I am still finding my way to deal with helplessness and anger of being unable to change things. But I am sure your dad was grateful for your support; and we (as well as many other people who would read your story in the future) are grateful for sharing your experience.
    Wishing you and your loved ones peace and good health.
    Olya
  • fredswilma
    fredswilma Member Posts: 185
    Tom
    So sorry to hear of your

Tom
    So sorry to hear of your loss, yes life can be unfair, but there is comfort in knowing your dad is no longer suffering, will be thinking of you and your family in this very sad time.
    Ann
  • Donna70
    Donna70 Member Posts: 852 Member

Tom
    So sorry to hear of your

Tom
    So sorry to hear of your loss, yes life can be unfair, but there is comfort in knowing your dad is no longer suffering, will be thinking of you and your family in this very sad time.
    Ann

So sorry Tom
    Dear Tom,
    I read your posts about your Dad's journey and what a sorrow to see this post. No this is not fair for sure, I am so sorry that your Dad had to go thru so much. It was hard for him and for you and your family to see so many setbacks occur when all you wanted was recovery. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family during this time of loss but I know your Dad is at peace and no more suffering. please take care,
    Donna70
  • llamp0922
    llamp0922 Member Posts: 40
    So sorry
    Hi Tom,

I am so sorry to hear your sad news. Your dad is at peace after a long and difficult battle. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Take care,
    Lisa
  • oriontj
    oriontj Member Posts: 375
    I haven't found life to be fair at all
    And especially for your family. You have my sincere condolences and prayers for through this awful time. May your and your family find comfort in the wonderful memories you have of your father.

jan
  • mrsbotch
    mrsbotch Member Posts: 349
    Life is not fair
    I have said this a million times and it sure is not fair. We live our lives according to the good rules and still sometimes we find that no matter what we do its just not enough. I am so sorry for you and your family. When Vince passed away a major part of me died. The only thing I can say and I mean this is that my Vince and your dad are no longer tied to this Beast of a Cancer. I have nothing but animosity towards EC. It is cruel and took your dad too soon.

Please accept my deepest sympathy.

From someone who knows what it feels like to lose someone from this dreaded cancer

Barbara
  • jojoshort
    jojoshort Member Posts: 230 Member
    So sorry, Tom
    I feel for you and your family and all the ups and downs you have had to endure since diagnosis to your Dad's passing. I hope you know we are all grieving with you as we know all too well the grief this cancer dishes out.
    I hope you and your family find some peace in the days ahead. Your Dad fought a valiant fight. What a brave man.
    Jo-Ann
  • linda1120
    linda1120 Member Posts: 389
    I am so sorry
    Dear Tom,

I have been following your father's journey from the beginning and I am so sorry for you and your family. You have all been through the "Roller coaster from Hell." Your father was very brave and endured so much. I will keep you all in my prayers.

Linda
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Sorry for your Loss
    Hi Tom
    May I send you and your family my deepest heartfelt sympathies on the recent loss of your dad. My dad passed in March 2010 from EC. I agree, sometimes it does feel like life is not fair. You did all you could for your dad. Your dad did the best he could. He did not come home to you, but he has gone home with the Lord. He is now pain and cancer free. You will see him again. May God grant you and your family the strength and peace you will need in the future. Keep in touch. We will be thinking and praying for you.
    Tina in Va
  • Pghmomma
    Pghmomma Member Posts: 141

Sorry for your Loss
    Hi Tom
    May I send you and your family my deepest heartfelt sympathies on the recent loss of your dad. My dad passed in March 2010 from EC. I agree, sometimes it does feel like life is not fair. You did all you could for your dad. Your dad did the best he could. He did not come home to you, but he has gone home with the Lord. He is now pain and cancer free. You will see him again. May God grant you and your family the strength and peace you will need in the future. Keep in touch. We will be thinking and praying for you.
    Tina in Va

Hi Tom
    I have to send you my deepest sympathies out to you and your family. I too was in a similar spot with my dad. He had the MIE in December and recovered well, returned to work then 1 month later pasted away due to a gastro fistula that they did not pick up on. It isnt fair but the way I have to look at it now is god had another plan for him.

Tina in PA
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • PaTreatment
    PaTreatment Member Posts: 5
    Shocked
    I'm devastated to read this post. I haven't been on the site much since my dad passed in June on day 6 post-op MIE due to different complications.

I'm still struggling with the "why" it happened and will write more to you off-line.
  • sammy123
    sammy123 Member Posts: 65
    Dear Tom
    I am so sorry to

Dear Tom

I am so sorry to hear this, just read it now I did not realize you had gone through all of this and perhaps your Mom and I crossed paths here at Presby. My husband's surgery here was done on Friday, July 22nd. Please accept my condolences and I will pray for you and your family. God Bless.
  • JimboC
    JimboC Member Posts: 264
    Tom,
    I am so sorry to hear

Tom,

I am so sorry to hear about your father. I wish I had been in better shape in Pittsburgh and had a chance to meet you face to face but I did read that you actually saw me in the ICU.