This Might Sound Strange, But, Has Anything Good Come Out Of Your Having Breast Cancer? Maybe Just

Options

Comments

• mzl0ve
    mzl0ve Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Having BC has been very hard
    Having BC has been very hard on me and my family, however we are closer then we have ever been before. I have always said i believe in God, now I realy do. Not wearing a Bra has its ups and downs lol. I have meet some of the nicest ppl ever, and they have given me strangth I never believed I could have.

TIME IS THE MOST PRESCIOUS THING EVER.
  • MusicMama
    MusicMama Member Posts: 11
    Options
    I have learned to slow down!
    I have learned to slow down! I do not need to be over-scheduled and say yes to everything. I have sat long enough to read books, and enjoy them!
  • JaneVan
    JaneVan Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes!
    I found out how many people really love me! I was amazed by the out pouring of love I received and continue to receive. While I'm still going through chemo, not looking forward to reconstruction and having overies removed, I do appreciate the "good" days and find joy in each minute!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    JaneVan said:

Yes!
    I found out how many people really love me! I was amazed by the out pouring of love I received and continue to receive. While I'm still going through chemo, not looking forward to reconstruction and having overies removed, I do appreciate the "good" days and find joy in each minute!

bad news i was so sick I
    bad news i was so sick I lost 80 pounds good news I needed to LOL got all new clothes!
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Options
    I have become a little more
    I have become a little more humble and realize that there are others who could benefit from what I can give. Like I never realized that your poor baldie head would get so cold when you have no hair. That is why I crochet hats and give them away at our local chemo clinics. It is such a small thing and it means so much to some one who has no hair. I know, I have been here. It gives me such joy to be able to do this, give back to my kindred spirits, when they most need it.

Hugs to all

Donna
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member
    Options

I have become a little more
    I have become a little more humble and realize that there are others who could benefit from what I can give. Like I never realized that your poor baldie head would get so cold when you have no hair. That is why I crochet hats and give them away at our local chemo clinics. It is such a small thing and it means so much to some one who has no hair. I know, I have been here. It gives me such joy to be able to do this, give back to my kindred spirits, when they most need it.

Hugs to all

Donna

thanks for your amazing posts, ladies!
    I am sitting here, three days after my mastectomy, feeling so sad. Reading your posts gave me a lift.

Laura
  • SoyFuerte
    SoyFuerte Member Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    dbhadra said:

thanks for your amazing posts, ladies!
    I am sitting here, three days after my mastectomy, feeling so sad. Reading your posts gave me a lift.

Laura

Many good things came....
    I learned to be patient haha yes slowdown, sit and let the people help me, now that is new to me, I always did the opposite. I knew who my true friends are.... I love my husband even more -if this is possible- ;)) he surprises me everyday!!!
    I resigned one of my jobs, I will start a Spanish support BC program for hispanics in my area. Nobody is helping those poor lonely women, I have a lot to learn and I will be ready in some months, I am excited about it!!!
    A lot of good things came from this, thank God!!!
    Blessings,
    Vicki
  • HootieGirl
    HootieGirl Member Posts: 85
    Options
    So much good
    So much good has come from having breast cancer.

1. I had to withdraw from college and move back in with my parents and as a result, my relationship with my mother is stronger than I could have ever imagined.
    2. I have so much compassion for others especially those battling cancer, and my experiences will make me a much better nurse.
    3. I have connected with so many incredible people I would have never met otherwise.
    4. It has made me grateful for everything and made me more aware of what truly is important.

God would not give us anything that He didn't think we could handle. I am a much stronger person because of this past year.

Kat
  • Barb A
    Barb A Member Posts: 123
    Options
    I've had good things come from having cancer
    While I wouldn't wish bc on anyone, I have met some incredible people through my experience. I found out I have a lot of wonderful people in my life and I have taken on volunteer opportunities I probably wouldn't have. I've even struck up conversations with people in the grocery store about cancer and was able to direct them to some services through the American Cancer Society.

Barb A
  • LYaklin
    LYaklin Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Trust
    I think the most important thing that has come out of my breast cancer is I have had to learn trust. Before my cancer I had very little trust in doctors, or people in general. I have had to learn to place myself in the experienced hands of my physicians and trust in them to make the right decisions for me and with me. Fortunately, I adore my oncology team and it makes it much easier to do so.

I've learned to speak up more for myself and not be a door mat. And oddly, I've learned to do so without losing my head and temper.

Last of all, I have learned to not sweat the petty stuff and not pet the sweaty stuff. (*Smile)

Laura Y
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    poplolly said:

Susie
    Sorry, but nothing

Susie

Sorry, but nothing good has come from this for me.

Thank you everyone for your
    Thank you everyone for your replies! I have enjoyed reading them all. I love you my pink sisters!
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    Options
    LYaklin said:

Trust
    I think the most important thing that has come out of my breast cancer is I have had to learn trust. Before my cancer I had very little trust in doctors, or people in general. I have had to learn to place myself in the experienced hands of my physicians and trust in them to make the right decisions for me and with me. Fortunately, I adore my oncology team and it makes it much easier to do so.

I've learned to speak up more for myself and not be a door mat. And oddly, I've learned to do so without losing my head and temper.

Last of all, I have learned to not sweat the petty stuff and not pet the sweaty stuff. (*Smile)

Laura Y

I no longer do the laundry anymore! My significant other (read 'boyfriend' of 18 yrs LOL we bought this house together!) took it upon himself that doing the laundry was really tiring me out (one especially tiring day during chemo) and so informed me that it's his 'job' now.

I'll admit that I've casually mentioned there ARE more settings besides that "One-Step" setting which is scalding HOT wash, cold rinse.

True, I'd never wash delicates with towels...and OMG I guess he never caught on to my shop-rag secret. (Keep a very few of the less grimy ones and wash with a brand new bag.) Cause the other day I ventured out to the washer and the washer had a LAYER of grime on it and where were the still dirty shop-rags * you guessed it * in the dryer!!!

Spray-N-Wash; I wonder what he did before it came along in his life?!! It'd be much more convenient if it came in a 5 gallon bucket!

It's not the way I do laundry but it gets done. =D
  • kjrpcb
    kjrpcb Member Posts: 41
    Options
    one good thing
    I very much believe in faith and the power of positive thinking. During the past year I have learned that I have a tremendous circle of friends and family. They have been my drivers, my cooks, my scribes when I couldn't think. My memory when I had none. My strength when I had none and felt I couldn't go on for one more minute. They all took my hand and lifted me up and walked with me. My eyes when I could not see. My husband will always give up the most comfortable part of the living room couch when he hears me coming doen the stairs. I don't ask he just gets up and moves over. How many times did I arrive at chemo or radiation and my family and friends would just be sitting there waiting for me. I have learned to be grateful that I never walked this journey alone. BC has made me a better person and I have learned to focus on my family and what's important. Before BC if my children would ask me something I would say "in a minute". Not now, I have learned to cherish the minutes I do have and share them with the people I love and who love me.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    sea60 said:

Susie
    I have to totally agree with the author and cancer survivor David Servan-Schreiber, when he quotes:

"Life suddenly takes on an intensity, resonance, and savor we may never have known before."

And it truly does. We now know and keenly are aware of the value of time and we want to make a consciencious effort to live it well.

Love your thread Sister.

Hugs to you,

Sylvia

After going on this roller
    After going on this roller coaster ride with bc, I learned how very strong I was. I also learned the depth of love that my hubby and my family and friends have for me. It amazed me and still does! I just live each and every day!
  • dmdudra
    dmdudra Member Posts: 50
    Options
    what I learned
    I learned through all this nightmare that I am strong... that my kids are wonderful and that I love them and I am fighting every day for them and for me... I learned that there are men out there that love us women with or without a breast.. beauty is not just on the outside but on the inside too... I learned who my real friends are... two of them told me that when I go bald this time they are going to shave there heads... I learned what to watch for so that when my 10yr old daughter gets older I can tell her...2009 was one the worst years of my life but 2010 I went on a Mexican cruise, got to see the look on my teenage sons face as for the first time he got to fly on a plane, go to Seattle and witness his and my first NFL game... I learned that no matter what life throws at me I can step up and handle it... that every day is a blessing and that we should not take nothing for granted... I am still learning and I hope I never to stop..Take care..D
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    dmdudra said:

what I learned
    I learned through all this nightmare that I am strong... that my kids are wonderful and that I love them and I am fighting every day for them and for me... I learned that there are men out there that love us women with or without a breast.. beauty is not just on the outside but on the inside too... I learned who my real friends are... two of them told me that when I go bald this time they are going to shave there heads... I learned what to watch for so that when my 10yr old daughter gets older I can tell her...2009 was one the worst years of my life but 2010 I went on a Mexican cruise, got to see the look on my teenage sons face as for the first time he got to fly on a plane, go to Seattle and witness his and my first NFL game... I learned that no matter what life throws at me I can step up and handle it... that every day is a blessing and that we should not take nothing for granted... I am still learning and I hope I never to stop..Take care..D

Many, many things
    There's always something to be thankful for and good things that come from bad. I've learned just how much I'm loved by how many people. My belief in the power of prayer has been affirmed and strengthened. I found a great quote from Olivia Newton John (Chicken Soup for the Breast Cancer Survovor's Soul) - I hope I get it right since I'm not at home right now - "Having cancer has taught me not to worry about the things that aren't important, like getting old." I've also learned just how strong I am. (Of course I've also learned that "chemo brain" is REAL!)
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

So much good
    So much good has come from having breast cancer.

1. I had to withdraw from college and move back in with my parents and as a result, my relationship with my mother is stronger than I could have ever imagined.
    2. I have so much compassion for others especially those battling cancer, and my experiences will make me a much better nurse.
    3. I have connected with so many incredible people I would have never met otherwise.
    4. It has made me grateful for everything and made me more aware of what truly is important.

God would not give us anything that He didn't think we could handle. I am a much stronger person because of this past year.

Kat

I learned how much my hubby,
    I learned how much my hubby, friends and family loved me!
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    Options
    I learned....
    to be more adventurous...really live life. White water rafting, etc.

On the other hand, I must prepare for it.... a few days ago I wanted to spontaneously go kayaking off Cape Cod.

Then, I was reminded my prosthetics can't get wet, and they are very costly.

A few tears, a deep breath, and a plan now to go back to the NE area again. :)
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    another 50th Year Wow
    I am grateful to read the postings...

I am constantly reminding some of my family who are Catholic that we often miss the miracles that happen before our very eyes because we are waiting for some amazing moment to shine. This comment came after she suggested that my cousin wasn't a survivor because she hadn't survived her breast cancer fight. "I was the survivor."
    I actually had to correct her and tell her that actually my cousin was the ultimate survivor for she lived longer than any doctor would have thought and endured so much more. The miracle is simply I am alive and I never forget my friends and families fights.
    I have learned so much about myself, though all not so good. I have found since my cancer and quality for life fight that Living with Passion changes everything especially after livng a life that felt stuck in and allot to do with my failing health.
    Life certainly hasn't gotten easier but I seem to have an entirely different perspective knowing I will get through it. There is this incredible flow of life and the biggest thing has been learning life is truly in the breath...
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    jo jo said:

This beast has opened my
    This beast has opened my eyes to alot and alot of good has come out of it for me. I have learned who are my friends and who isnt, i realized how much my family means to me, ive learned not to sweat the small stuff and dont take life for granted...get out and live and have fun with your life....and a bunch of other stuff like that but on the flip side of the same coin....I GOT A NEW BOOB JOB out of it...lol!

How are you doing Jo Jo?

How are you doing Jo Jo?