Scared to death of Taxotere - need some success stories

Options
2»

Comments

• mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I did taxotere
    It was doable for me i started out with (FEC) ,by the time i started taxotere it was a relief i had it every week for 3 weeks then i would get a break it was started as a slow drip and i found i did better with that i didn't have any benadryl and i didn't have to take a neulasta shot after taxotere .i get the tingling in the hands and feet but that doesn't really bother me i have a lot of joint pain and i think it's due to all the chemo not just the taxotere and i can deal with this,like everyone says everyone is different so even with our advice you might not have any problems at all with it. (positive thinking). hang in there we're doing this to stay alive. MOLLYZ
  • Maurie
    Maurie Member Posts: 13
    Options

A/C
    Hi: I live in Houston and have the good fortune of going to M. D. Anderson for my treatments. I have had one dose of A/C and will have three more treatments. So far, so good. I had five pre-meds dripped in prior to the a/c which included Adavan, Emend (nausea), a steroid, and two other nausea drugs. I am at day 11 and have not had much problem. The Emend and Zofran are excellent for nausea.

My biggest problem right now is waiting on my hair to fall out. I have purchased two wigs but don't think there is one female out there who is ever ready to lose their hair. I will probably go to the salon tomorrow and get my hair cut very short. Is there anyone out there that can tell me who has done A/C at what point their hair fell out? My oncologist says anywhere from two to three weeks. Did you also lose your eyebrows and eyelashes?

I am also trying to start a Houston breast cancer group who might be willing to meet on a regular basis to discuss/vent our commonality. Please let me know when you respond if you are from Houston (or the surrounding area) and maybe we can exchange phone numbers. No one needs to go through this alone!!!

Thanks
    Thanks for the input. I had 4 A/C treatments with no side effects except being out to lunch (the nadir thing) for a few days after each treatment and my hair loss. I shaved it all off before the treatments started so I wouldn't have to deal with it. I bought a long and a short wig. I've gotten lots of compliments on the short one so that's the only one I've been wearing. I'm in CA and hope you find some locals.
  • Maurie
    Options
    renee616 said:

P.s...my hair fell out
    P.s...my hair fell out during my A/C treatments but started growing in on my second round of Taxol!

Hair growth
    I'm glad to hear your hair started growing back during the taxol/taxotere?? treatments. I've been off of everything for a month's recovery and it's starting to grow back a tiny bit. It'll be nice if it can keep on growing in. How's the radiation going?
  • Maurie
    Options
    mollyz said:

I did taxotere
    It was doable for me i started out with (FEC) ,by the time i started taxotere it was a relief i had it every week for 3 weeks then i would get a break it was started as a slow drip and i found i did better with that i didn't have any benadryl and i didn't have to take a neulasta shot after taxotere .i get the tingling in the hands and feet but that doesn't really bother me i have a lot of joint pain and i think it's due to all the chemo not just the taxotere and i can deal with this,like everyone says everyone is different so even with our advice you might not have any problems at all with it. (positive thinking). hang in there we're doing this to stay alive. MOLLYZ

Feeling better...
    I'm feeling much better hearing these inputs. The doctors have to be upfront with the worse scenarios and that's what we all seem to focus on - naturally. It's nice to get good stories to balanced things out....

Thanks
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Maurie said:

I like hearing that the side
    I like hearing that the side effects eventually went away. I feel I can endure anything as long as I know it will end. THANKS.

Maurie, I was never on this,
    Maurie, I was never on this, but, wanted to wish you good luck and send you a big ole hug!

Sue :)
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    Maurie said:

Feeling better...
    I'm feeling much better hearing these inputs. The doctors have to be upfront with the worse scenarios and that's what we all seem to focus on - naturally. It's nice to get good stories to balanced things out....

Thanks

I am so glad you are feeling
    I am so glad you are feeling better Maurie and welcome to the site!