Scared to death of Taxotere - need some success stories

Options
Maurie
Maurie Member Posts: 13
I've had 4 AC treatments and one Taxol. I didn't have an immediate allergic reaction to Taxol but two days later I was in the hospital for 2 weeks with a temperature and "ground glass opacity" showing on a CT scan. It was a delayed allergic reaction. I've been off of everything for a month. The "ground glass opacity" is gone and all my numbers are great so we're going to restart treatments but with Taxotere. I'm very afraid. After the Taxol treatment I already have slight tingling in my fingers and toes. I've read about bad muscle and joint pains and terrible swelling. I need to hear about relatively endurable Taxotere treatments. Tell me some success stories - PLEASE!!!

Comments

• aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Hello Maurie
    I wish I could tell you, you will be alright but we are all so different and
    till you have drug, there's no guarantee on how you individually will react
    to it.

I had 5 treatments of taxotere and my main complaints were swelling of
    my feet and legs, every time I attempted to take a walk longer than 10 minutes.
    And yes, lots of muscle spasms and tingling that even kept me up at night. Would
    I do it again? YES, yes and yes. If I am here today it is because of these drugs
    and I will take a year of discomfort any day in order to get a life time worth of
    living.

That said, I really hope you won't have any allergic reactions and your treatment
    will be easy on you. Keep the big picture in mind and fight for your life.

Here are a few things that helped me, I took glucosamine (check with your
    oncologist first) for all the joint pain and I saw great improvement. Eat potassium
    rich foods (Bananas, cantaloupe, Tuna, Avocado, Apricots, Potatoes, strawberries),
    they really help with the painful cramps. Another thing that worked wonders for me
    was acupuncture. My legs felt like rubber all the time and after my acupuncture session
    I felt so much better. Use all the treatments that are out there and see what works for
    you. Information is power.

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    aysemari said:

Hello Maurie
    to it.

And yes, lots of muscle spasms and tingling that even kept me up at night. Would
    I do it again? YES, yes and yes. If I am here today it is because of these drugs
    and I will take a year of discomfort any day in order to get a life time worth of
    living.

That said, I really hope you won't have any allergic reactions and your treatment

oncologist first) for all the joint pain and I saw great improvement. Eat potassium
    rich foods (Bananas, cantaloupe, Tuna, Avocado, Apricots, Potatoes, strawberries),
    they really help with the painful cramps. Another thing that worked wonders for me
    was acupuncture. My legs felt like rubber all the time and after my acupuncture session
    I felt so much better. Use all the treatments that are out there and see what works for

Hugs,
    Ayse

Taxotere...
    Had that along with Cytoxan. Keeping in mind, we're all different, I had, just "normal" side effects...I also received the Nuelasta injection after each infusion...I did have muscle aches and some bone pain....no swelling, no nausea, no vomiting..my oncologist was very aggressive with anti nausea meds and the steroids.....also given Benadryl before each infusion.....the steroids can cause leg swelling, I was checked carefully for that...I did lose my taste buds for about a week...I did have fatigue, which is cumulative....And I felt crappy for the week following each infusion but gradually felt better until time for the next infusion....

With all your previous problems, I am sure your oncologist will factor all that in before you start Taxotere....perhaps by slowing the drip to even giving you half doses for a while....remember to drink, drink, drink!,,,,,!! Before during and after the infusions...Don't take anything that you don't run by your oncologist first....I wasn't even permitted to take vitamins...

Hoping you do much better with the Taxotere.....
    Hugs
  • CAchick
    CAchick Member Posts: 277
    Options
    I had taxotere/cytoxan
    Hi, I had T/C for four rounds of infusions. After the second round, I had hair loss, tingling in my legs/feet especially at night, slight cramps, and a weird taste in my mouth at times. However, the tingling left about two months after last infusion, the bad taste left about a month after last infusion...A lot of us have made it through treatment with this drug. I hope you do well and have no more than the "usual" difficulties!
    Best wishes,
    Sybil
  • Maurie
    Options
    aysemari said:

Hello Maurie
    to it.

living.

Hugs,
    Ayse

Thanks for the potassium
    Thanks for the potassium advice. That sounds right on. Even before this all started I would get cramps in my feet every now and then and eating a banana always helped. A banana a day for sure and I LOVE potatoes. THANKS.
  • Maurie
    Options
    CAchick said:

I had taxotere/cytoxan
    Hi, I had T/C for four rounds of infusions. After the second round, I had hair loss, tingling in my legs/feet especially at night, slight cramps, and a weird taste in my mouth at times. However, the tingling left about two months after last infusion, the bad taste left about a month after last infusion...A lot of us have made it through treatment with this drug. I hope you do well and have no more than the "usual" difficulties!
    Best wishes,
    Sybil

I like hearing that the side
    I like hearing that the side effects eventually went away. I feel I can endure anything as long as I know it will end. THANKS.
  • Maurie
    Options
    MAJW said:

Taxotere...
    Had that along with Cytoxan. Keeping in mind, we're all different, I had, just "normal" side effects...I also received the Nuelasta injection after each infusion...I did have muscle aches and some bone pain....no swelling, no nausea, no vomiting..my oncologist was very aggressive with anti nausea meds and the steroids.....also given Benadryl before each infusion.....the steroids can cause leg swelling, I was checked carefully for that...I did lose my taste buds for about a week...I did have fatigue, which is cumulative....And I felt crappy for the week following each infusion but gradually felt better until time for the next infusion....

With all your previous problems, I am sure your oncologist will factor all that in before you start Taxotere....perhaps by slowing the drip to even giving you half doses for a while....remember to drink, drink, drink!,,,,,!! Before during and after the infusions...Don't take anything that you don't run by your oncologist first....I wasn't even permitted to take vitamins...

Hoping you do much better with the Taxotere.....
    Hugs

Do you recall if the
    Do you recall if the steroids were for the Taxotere effects or the Cytoxane?
  • rhamilton1012
    rhamilton1012 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    2 T/C treatments down
    I also get Taxotere. Like a lot of the above ladies say, I was exhausted and achey days 4-6. Started coming out by evening of day 6. Nasty taste in my mouth and lost all taste buds for about 1 week. My MO gave me Zofran for any nausea and I've only had to take a couple. I am getting my Neulasta shot today for the 1st time (just had treatment yesterday) so I assume that will make the bone/joint pain worse this time. I've experienced a small bit of tingling and my MO put me on B6 as a preventitive measure. All in all, I am back to normal by day 13 and feel GREAT till I get my next cycle! You can make it, we belive in you!!!
  • CAchick
    CAchick Member Posts: 277
    Options
    Maurie said:

I like hearing that the side
    I like hearing that the side effects eventually went away. I feel I can endure anything as long as I know it will end. THANKS.

Ask anything...
    Hey, as you go through your treatments, you can ask us anything and we will try to help!
    And, it will end! YEAH!! That's the good part...that, and kicking CAncer's BUTT!!
    Sybil
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options

2 T/C treatments down
    I also get Taxotere. Like a lot of the above ladies say, I was exhausted and achey days 4-6. Started coming out by evening of day 6. Nasty taste in my mouth and lost all taste buds for about 1 week. My MO gave me Zofran for any nausea and I've only had to take a couple. I am getting my Neulasta shot today for the 1st time (just had treatment yesterday) so I assume that will make the bone/joint pain worse this time. I've experienced a small bit of tingling and my MO put me on B6 as a preventitive measure. All in all, I am back to normal by day 13 and feel GREAT till I get my next cycle! You can make it, we belive in you!!!

we are all different but
    I had no major problems with Taxotere. They started it at 50 drips and gradually increased to full speed, so it took a while to get the full "bag". I also was given steroids first, anti nausea, and Benedryl, all IV prior to the actual Taxotere. My hair even started coming back while I was doing this. (Had 4 rounds AC first.) From what I've heard on this discussion board it seems different Drs have different protocols. ASK what they can do to help prevent a reaction. I'll be sending up lots of prayers that this goes well for you!!!!!
  • Maurie
    Options

2 T/C treatments down

How often are your
    How often are your treatments? You say you went in yesterday for your second treatment? How were your aches on the way in? My oncology pharmacist suggested I take one of my pain meds a couple hours before my Neulasta shot. Sounds good to me.
  • Maurie
    Options
    skipper54 said:

we are all different but
    I had no major problems with Taxotere. They started it at 50 drips and gradually increased to full speed, so it took a while to get the full "bag". I also was given steroids first, anti nausea, and Benedryl, all IV prior to the actual Taxotere. My hair even started coming back while I was doing this. (Had 4 rounds AC first.) From what I've heard on this discussion board it seems different Drs have different protocols. ASK what they can do to help prevent a reaction. I'll be sending up lots of prayers that this goes well for you!!!!!

Good news is great!!
    Thanks. I only have to have 3 treatments (already had one Taxol). Too bad they're not every 14 days instead of 21 but perhaps my body will appreciate the 21 days.
  • rhamilton1012
    rhamilton1012 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Maurie said:

How often are your
    How often are your treatments? You say you went in yesterday for your second treatment? How were your aches on the way in? My oncology pharmacist suggested I take one of my pain meds a couple hours before my Neulasta shot. Sounds good to me.

Mine are
    21 days apart! For me, it's perfect. I think it give my body enough time to recooperate. I didn't get Neulasta last treatment, but I had a little scare and was almost admitted for fever. MO gave me some antibiotics then, but doesn't feel like that would be a good idea going forward. I would hate to really need them and my body have a tolerance. We will see what the next couple days hold. I already assume I will not be at work on Friday, since that was the case last time. It is also really good that we have Monday off for the 4th of July ~ gives me some extra rest without having to go without pay! It's the little things.
  • ender
    ender Member Posts: 167
    Options
    I have a success story!
    I just finished my third round of taxotere, full dose at that! I had very mild side effects, and they have NOT gotten worse with each round. I had a few skin rashes and my fingers hurt a little bit. My doc says that is all from the Taxotere. She calmed me by saying it was NOT neuropathy, but just a temporary thing. No other pain, no swelling, no nothing. I feel for you and hope you will do well with the Taxotere! Message me directly if you have any questions at all as you start your Taxotere. Good luck!

Eva
  • Maurie
    Options
    ender said:

I have a success story!
    I just finished my third round of taxotere, full dose at that! I had very mild side effects, and they have NOT gotten worse with each round. I had a few skin rashes and my fingers hurt a little bit. My doc says that is all from the Taxotere. She calmed me by saying it was NOT neuropathy, but just a temporary thing. No other pain, no swelling, no nothing. I feel for you and hope you will do well with the Taxotere! Message me directly if you have any questions at all as you start your Taxotere. Good luck!

Eva

Great news...
    That's great to hear. Peripheral neuropathy is really my biggest fear. My mom had it when she was older and it was very painful. I'm feeling better each day. I get my PICC put in Friday and I'm sure I'll start treatments soon after. Onward!!!!
  • sudawilson
    sudawilson Member Posts: 9
    Options
    A/C
    Hi: I live in Houston and have the good fortune of going to M. D. Anderson for my treatments. I have had one dose of A/C and will have three more treatments. So far, so good. I had five pre-meds dripped in prior to the a/c which included Adavan, Emend (nausea), a steroid, and two other nausea drugs. I am at day 11 and have not had much problem. The Emend and Zofran are excellent for nausea.

My biggest problem right now is waiting on my hair to fall out. I have purchased two wigs but don't think there is one female out there who is ever ready to lose their hair. I will probably go to the salon tomorrow and get my hair cut very short. Is there anyone out there that can tell me who has done A/C at what point their hair fell out? My oncologist says anywhere from two to three weeks. Did you also lose your eyebrows and eyelashes?

I am also trying to start a Houston breast cancer group who might be willing to meet on a regular basis to discuss/vent our commonality. Please let me know when you respond if you are from Houston (or the surrounding area) and maybe we can exchange phone numbers. No one needs to go through this alone!!!
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options

A/C
    Hi: I live in Houston and have the good fortune of going to M. D. Anderson for my treatments. I have had one dose of A/C and will have three more treatments. So far, so good. I had five pre-meds dripped in prior to the a/c which included Adavan, Emend (nausea), a steroid, and two other nausea drugs. I am at day 11 and have not had much problem. The Emend and Zofran are excellent for nausea.

My biggest problem right now is waiting on my hair to fall out. I have purchased two wigs but don't think there is one female out there who is ever ready to lose their hair. I will probably go to the salon tomorrow and get my hair cut very short. Is there anyone out there that can tell me who has done A/C at what point their hair fell out? My oncologist says anywhere from two to three weeks. Did you also lose your eyebrows and eyelashes?

I am also trying to start a Houston breast cancer group who might be willing to meet on a regular basis to discuss/vent our commonality. Please let me know when you respond if you are from Houston (or the surrounding area) and maybe we can exchange phone numbers. No one needs to go through this alone!!!

AC hair loss for me was early
    I was told 4 to 5 days after my second treatment but didn't even make to the 2nd treatment so shaved my head (had cut it short) and had some summer fun with scarves and hats, etc. AND don't forget the funky earrings - long dangling ones. I didn't lose my eyebrows and lashes until the Taxotere and by that time my hair was starting to come back. We are each unique!

Sucess stories - my MO jusst today said I'm in complete remission. It was all worth it to hear those words!!!!!
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options

A/C

hair
    Suda,
    My hair started falling out in clumps just after the second round of A/C. I shaved it so I wouldn't have it clumping for days! I didn't go with wigs, I went with bandana's. I did not loose my eyebrows or lashes till Taxol. My hair started growing back during Taxol, so that was nice.
    Good luck with the A/C. MD Anderson is a great place to get treatment, you are very fortunate!

Cindy
  • renee616
    renee616 Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Hi
    I had some reactions but

Hi
    I had some reactions but nothing that I wouldn't do over again! Some redness on hands, diarrhea, tiredness etc. No nausea. I was scared too, because The Dr told me some bad scenarios that could happen...but he said to l let them know right away of any side effects so they could address them quickly. When I had the red rash on my hands, he scheduled my treatment 4 weeks out instead of three to give my body a longer healing time. The key is to let your Dr know about any reactions as soon as you have them. I never had mouth sores, no affected nails etc. They told me what to use on the rash & all was good! All done and in radiation! Good luck!
    Renee
  • renee616
    Options
    renee616 said:

Hi
    I had some reactions but

Hi
    I had some reactions but nothing that I wouldn't do over again! Some redness on hands, diarrhea, tiredness etc. No nausea. I was scared too, because The Dr told me some bad scenarios that could happen...but he said to l let them know right away of any side effects so they could address them quickly. When I had the red rash on my hands, he scheduled my treatment 4 weeks out instead of three to give my body a longer healing time. The key is to let your Dr know about any reactions as soon as you have them. I never had mouth sores, no affected nails etc. They told me what to use on the rash & all was good! All done and in radiation! Good luck!
    Renee

P.s...my hair fell out
    P.s...my hair fell out during my A/C treatments but started growing in on my second round of Taxol!
  • renee616
    Options

A/C

A/C hair loss for me was
    A/C hair loss for me was early as well! Happened suddenly and I cried and moved on! I got two awesome wigs, a long one and a short one! I love them, but am happy my own hairs starting to grow! I lost ALL my hair including lashes & eyebrows! I think I miss my eyebrows more than my hair! I hate drawing them on every day!

Renee