Please help with advice..........am worried about throat symptoms and diagnosis!!

Options

Comments

• Heavenleah
    Heavenleah Member Posts: 31
    Options

MRI date and..................ditched the fags :-)
    Hi everyone

I have my date for my MRI Monday 25th July and a follow up appointment with the ENT consultant to get the results on Thursday 28th July. Am praying for good news!! Have to get a sedative from the GP as I am seriously claustrophobic and not sure I'll be able to stay in there for 45 minutes?! Hope I'm not the first person in history to freak out and destroy the machine!!

On a positive note I am day 3 smoke free :-) Am coping ok with the odd dodgy moment but I haven't cracked yet so everyday is an achievement.

Really hope you are all doing well and thank you again for your supportive posts - they mean a lot xx

Im new to this too
    Hi YoungMummy

Just wanted to say I am new to this too. I too was told that I had an infection by different doctors and given antibiotics one after another before going into the ER and having them do a CT scan and finding my tumor, referring me to an ENT and now I have my biopsy scheduled for this Thursday. I know its scary. Im terrified. I am a mother of 4 and the breadwinner of the family. I want to tell you these people on the boards are amazing, even if just needing to vent and voice your fears while you wait what seems like forever, even if its just a few days. They have helped ease my mind, educate me, and point me in the right directions for questions to ask the dr, and what to expect. You are definately in the right place. I hope and pray that they can find a diagnosis for you and get you treated properly, and pray that you have a great outcome. Please keep us updated.

Again, I am new to this as well, and we can hold e-hands while we both sit scared and wait.

Good luck!

Jennifer
  • Goalie
    Goalie Member Posts: 184
    Options

Hi everyone

I have my date for my MRI Monday 25th July and a follow up appointment with the ENT consultant to get the results on Thursday 28th July. Am praying for good news!! Have to get a sedative from the GP as I am seriously claustrophobic and not sure I'll be able to stay in there for 45 minutes?! Hope I'm not the first person in history to freak out and destroy the machine!!

On a positive note I am day 3 smoke free :-) Am coping ok with the odd dodgy moment but I haven't cracked yet so everyday is an achievement.

Really hope you are all doing well and thank you again for your supportive posts - they mean a lot xx

Congratulations
    on getting rid of the cancer sticks. This is a positive step forward.

As for the MRI, don't worry about it. I recall the first one I did probably 20 years ago when you really were loaded six feet deep into the torpedo tube with the ceiling just inches above your nose. BUT NOWADAYS, most of the MRIs are open and you pass through a ring laying on your bed or it passes over you. It has gotten really easy. When I go for these or other scans I usually go to sleep but I often did this for my daily tanning (rad) sessions as well and these would only be about ten minutes long.

So, don't fixate on the MRI, just worry about sending healing energy at your neck and throat. Good luck, Doug
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options

Hi everyone

Congrats
    On giving up smoking....you'll be much better for it in the long wrong.

As for anxiety, they can prescrube something, but like Goalie mentioned, it's not too bad. Open tube, but your face is kind of close to the top. What I do is initally tilt my head back enough that I can look through the backside...then it's not like being closed in as much to me.

Best,
    John
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Congrats
    On giving up smoking....you'll be much better for it in the long wrong.

As for anxiety, they can prescrube something, but like Goalie mentioned, it's not too bad. Open tube, but your face is kind of close to the top. What I do is initally tilt my head back enough that I can look through the backside...then it's not like being closed in as much to me.

Best,
    John

I am proud of you!
    Good job giving up the cigarettes! Stay strong and smoke free. :)
  • Offdut
    Offdut Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Throat
    I hope by now they have ruled out throat cancer, if you still are getting tested, be sure they order a P.E.T MRI. I had sore looking thing by left tonsils, my GP doc & dentist didn't know what it was, but my ENT doctor did..Cancer stage 2. Please get checked & rechecked
    God be with you!
  • YoungMummy
    YoungMummy Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Offdut said:

Throat
    I hope by now they have ruled out throat cancer, if you still are getting tested, be sure they order a P.E.T MRI. I had sore looking thing by left tonsils, my GP doc & dentist didn't know what it was, but my ENT doctor did..Cancer stage 2. Please get checked & rechecked
    God be with you!

MRI Done...............and still no smokes ;-)
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for the support - it really does help :)

Had a bit of a problem with the MRI which I should have had Mon 25th July with results Thurs 28th July. Got Diazepam from the GP to take as am so claustrophobic, felt quite chilled out in the waiting room with my hubby - then both MRI machines broke down!!!!! I was not happy as had to come home and await another appointment - along with all the other poor people who were anxiously waiting. I have to say I do see the funny side of it now as we were told that both MRI's never go down at the same time (just my luck) and it was probably due to the hot weather ha ha ha living in the UK you've gotta laugh at that ;-)

Anyway was re-booked for yesterday and am proud I got through it - yay!!! The staff were amazing, the actual scanner wasn't as bad as I was expecting and as I was a bit doped from the meds all was good. Then they said they had to put this cage thing over my head and face and I thought my heart was gonna come out of my chest - aaaaggggrrrr!!! As I was so nervous they let my husband sit in the scan room with me and and rest his hand on my leg for reassurance - I kept my eyes closed the whole way through and kept repeating my mental "everything is ok" mantra and I did it :)) My appointment for results is Monday 8th Aug - so am hoping and praying!!

One question I was going to ask? While they were prepping me and asking all the "metal" questions they said I was to have several MRI images taken which would take about 30-40 minutes then I may need some more images with contrast IV dye. Anyway I had my regular images done and they said they didn't need to do the contrast images - is that good or bad??

I am now 3 weeks smoke free - struggling but hanging in there...!!

I hope you are all doing well - best wishes to you all x
  • jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Hi Everyone,

Had a bit of a problem with the MRI which I should have had Mon 25th July with results Thurs 28th July. Got Diazepam from the GP to take as am so claustrophobic, felt quite chilled out in the waiting room with my hubby - then both MRI machines broke down!!!!! I was not happy as had to come home and await another appointment - along with all the other poor people who were anxiously waiting. I have to say I do see the funny side of it now as we were told that both MRI's never go down at the same time (just my luck) and it was probably due to the hot weather ha ha ha living in the UK you've gotta laugh at that ;-)

Anyway was re-booked for yesterday and am proud I got through it - yay!!! The staff were amazing, the actual scanner wasn't as bad as I was expecting and as I was a bit doped from the meds all was good. Then they said they had to put this cage thing over my head and face and I thought my heart was gonna come out of my chest - aaaaggggrrrr!!! As I was so nervous they let my husband sit in the scan room with me and and rest his hand on my leg for reassurance - I kept my eyes closed the whole way through and kept repeating my mental "everything is ok" mantra and I did it :)) My appointment for results is Monday 8th Aug - so am hoping and praying!!

One question I was going to ask? While they were prepping me and asking all the "metal" questions they said I was to have several MRI images taken which would take about 30-40 minutes then I may need some more images with contrast IV dye. Anyway I had my regular images done and they said they didn't need to do the contrast images - is that good or bad??

So happy you made it through
    So happy you made it through the test. I am no expert but I would say that no contrast might be a good sign. I am praying it is. If it is a clear scan please, please, please do not pick up the smokes again. I had a friend who had a lung cancer scare and when he found out he did not have a tumor he went back to smoking. I know how hard it is to quit. I smoked for 20 years and tried to quit 5 or 6 times before finally doing it. Do it for yourself. Do it so you can see your children graduate and get married and maybe even give you grandchildren. Life is precious, savor every moment and do all you can to prevent cancer. It is a lot easier to keep cancer away by healthy habits than cure the cancer. Seeing my husband suffer through this treatment is the hardest thing I have had to face.

Blessings to you and your family

Debbie
  • DrMary
    DrMary Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options

Hi Everyone,

21 days
    They say that the first 21 days of trying to break a habit are the hardest. So, you are over the worst, yes?

If the cravings start getting too loud, consider alternatives to smoking. My MIL swears by the nicotine gum (she was a hard-core smoker and quit when signs of lung disease cropped up - she's fine now, but did need the gum to get her through the rough spots) - obviously, if you can do without, even better, but it's better than going back to cancer sticks.
  • Skiffin16
    Options

Hi Everyone,

WooHoo...
    Congrats on the smokes, try to stick with it...if it makes you feel better, just smack your hubby on the back of the head when you get the urge..

Not sure on the contrast and additional images...

I've only had MRI's for things like knees (muscles and tendons, ligaments, etc..). For this I've only had CT's and PET's both of which are administered with the contrast.

Thoughts and Prayers on the scans...

Best,
    John
  • YoungMummy
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

WooHoo...
    Congrats on the smokes, try to stick with it...if it makes you feel better, just smack your hubby on the back of the head when you get the urge..

Not sure on the contrast and additional images...

I've only had MRI's for things like knees (muscles and tendons, ligaments, etc..). For this I've only had CT's and PET's both of which are administered with the contrast.

Thoughts and Prayers on the scans...

Best,
    John

Thanks again all :)........and sorry but more advice please!!
    Hey

Thanks again guys - you really do help :-)

Am still chuckling at Skiffin's "smack your hubby on the back of the head when you get the urge" ha ha ha!! So withdrawl does have benefits ;) In all seriousness he has been amazing and I would be going out of my mind without him.

I just wanted to ask some advice please. When I go on Monday for my results appointment if nothing nasty is seen I will be whoop whooping so loudly am sure you will hear me across the Atlantic BUT if something is seen on the scan what sort of things should I be asking???

Positive thoughts, love and prayers to you all xx
  • Skiffin16
    Options

Hey

Am still chuckling at Skiffin's "smack your hubby on the back of the head when you get the urge" ha ha ha!! So withdrawl does have benefits ;) In all seriousness he has been amazing and I would be going out of my mind without him.

I just wanted to ask some advice please. When I go on Monday for my results appointment if nothing nasty is seen I will be whoop whooping so loudly am sure you will hear me across the Atlantic BUT if something is seen on the scan what sort of things should I be asking???

SuperThread
    I'll have the soup......

Check out Sweetblood (Dawn) SuperThread, tons of info and input from most on here....what to ask, etc...

SuperThread

Good Luck on the scans,

John
  • jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Hey

Congrats on the smoking
    Congrats on the smoking battle. The gum is a great idea, it wasn't around when I quit so I used candy, Worther's to be specific. I gained 10 lbs but breathe easier now.

Praying for your strength and healing.

Debbie
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    jim and i said:

Congrats on the smoking
    Congrats on the smoking battle. The gum is a great idea, it wasn't around when I quit so I used candy, Worther's to be specific. I gained 10 lbs but breathe easier now.

Praying for your strength and healing.

Debbie

No Smoke
    I am so very glad to hear you are doing well with the smoking it is the first step in helping your body to heal its self. On the MRI the next time you take one tell them you want the mirror on the head gear it will help you to look outside of the machine and help you to relax a little better.

Keep strong, keep believing and keep positive you have a lot to live for.
    Hondo
  • Hondo
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

SuperThread
    I'll have the soup......

Check out Sweetblood (Dawn) SuperThread, tons of info and input from most on here....what to ask, etc...

SuperThread

Good Luck on the scans,

John

Hi John
    I think you forgot about me as I am still waiting on my e-mail on how to do that

Ha ha ha
    Hondo
  • Skiffin16
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi John
    I think you forgot about me as I am still waiting on my e-mail on how to do that

Ha ha ha
    Hondo

Sorry Bout That
    I'll send you something in a day or so....

Hope your trip was a healing one...

JG
  • Hondo
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Sorry Bout That
    I'll send you something in a day or so....

Hope your trip was a healing one...

JG

Hi John

No problem we are all getting old and forgetful, Ha ha ha

Had a great time back home, did some fishing but did not get anything but is was great just to be out in the open water again. Wife made me put plugs in my ears so no water could get in them like last year that almost killed me with infection.

Thanks
    Hondo
  • YoungMummy
    Options
    Hondo said:

No Smoke
    I am so very glad to hear you are doing well with the smoking it is the first step in helping your body to heal its self. On the MRI the next time you take one tell them you want the mirror on the head gear it will help you to look outside of the machine and help you to relax a little better.

Keep strong, keep believing and keep positive you have a lot to live for.
    Hondo

MRI Clear :-D Yay..........but need surgery?!
    Hi All

Just to update and ask yet another question?

Had my results appointment yesterday and my MRI was clear which is great and such a relief :-D

Although as my left tonsil and the glands on BOT and Adenoids are still slightly enlarged have to go in and have left tonsillectomy with some surrounding tissue taken and biosy of BOT and Adenoids within next 2 weeks so just waiting on an admission date.

Obviously I am really pleased MRI was clear but what I am wondering is how likely is it for something nasty to be there and not show on the MRI?? Consultant said this can happen in the early stages and therefore the only way they can be 100% sure is to do the surgery. Has anyone else been in this situation??

Thanks again guys you really are a God send :) xx
  • Hondo
    Options

Hi All

Had my results appointment yesterday and my MRI was clear which is great and such a relief :-D

Although as my left tonsil and the glands on BOT and Adenoids are still slightly enlarged have to go in and have left tonsillectomy with some surrounding tissue taken and biosy of BOT and Adenoids within next 2 weeks so just waiting on an admission date.

Obviously I am really pleased MRI was clear but what I am wondering is how likely is it for something nasty to be there and not show on the MRI?? Consultant said this can happen in the early stages and therefore the only way they can be 100% sure is to do the surgery. Has anyone else been in this situation??

PET & MRI

They like everything are just tools in the doctor’s hands and can give false readings. But most of the time 90% or so they are the best help a doctor can have to determine your condition. The best way is still a biopsy, but don’t sweet it having a clean PET is a very good sign and with a lot of prayers and a little surgery you will do very well.

Blessing to you while in Gods workshop
    Hondo
  • buzz99
    buzz99 Member Posts: 404
    Options

Hi All

MRI clear
    It is great to hear that the MRI was clear. I imagine the waiting for the surgery is very difficult. Congrats on the smoking cessation! If you do have cancer, it is likely that you are catching it early and that makes all the difference. Let us know how your biopsies turn out. Karen
  • Skiffin16
    Options

Hi All

100%....
    Nothing (treament wise) is 100%....

More than likely they are going to do both of your tonsils, just might need to take more out on the suspect side (at least that's how it went for me).

It is pretty painful, but sure you can manage....not as easy as eating a lot of ice cream like people think. I couldn't tolerate anything cold actually.

The pain didn't really set in for a few days, but they'll give you pain meds in solution form probably. It only lasted for 10 days or so....much better than 7 - 10 weeks of treatment/recovery from rads. Though on a pain level, nearly the same, just much shorter.

Mainly a lot of soft mashed spuds and gravy, soupy cheese grits or cream of wheat, pudding and jello...

Thoughts and Prayers that all is good to go and least as invasive as possible.

Best,
    John