im 14 and my mom died of breast cancer

Options
emigirl
emigirl Member Posts: 1
Last year my mom passed away after a very long cancer experience. She was diagnosed with breast cancer when I was 4 then went into remission when I was 7. And when I turned 8 the cancer came back, but in her spine and got worse and worse. When I turned 13 it spread to the liver and about a week later she passed away. Everything went so fast I felt like I had no time to say goodbye especially because she went into a coma a few days after I found out the cancer had spread to the liver. Its so hard to think that my mom had fought for 8 years and then was gone. I still can't believe shes gone and I don't have a mom. Now that I know how hard it is to have lost your bestfriend I want to help others. Does anyone any upcoming walks or benifits in Chicago that I can participate in this summer? I know that its a big dream, but I want to be an ancologist when I get older and help find the cure so no one goes through the pain of cancer.

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you have gone
    I am so sorry you have gone through this...just try to focus on good times....

I wish you the best....just take day by day....

Denise
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

I am so sorry you have gone
    I am so sorry you have gone through this...just try to focus on good times....

I wish you the best....just take day by day....

Denise

I am so sorry
    Emigirl, I am so very sorry that you lost your Mother to cancer. I agree with Denise, try to remember all the wonderful times you had with her, and hopefully, you will find some peace with that.

You are a very brave young lady. And, it would be great if you wanted and could be involved with the Relay for Life in your area, in honor of your Mother.

Hugs, Debby
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    walks
    http://www.relayforlife.org/relay/findevent

http://www.avonwalk.org/

http://www.komenchicago.org/

Here are the three main walks for cancer. They may have a minimum age for walking but you may be able to volunteer if you can't walk. Run them by your dad, maybe he can help you decide which one would be best.

I am so sorry about your mom. Loosing a mom is hard no matter how old you are. It is wonderful that you want to give back to help others going through this. She must have been a very special person to raise such an awesome daughter.

Cindy
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi Emigirl...
    I am so sorry to hear about your Mom and what you have gone through at such a young age.. I was also 14 when my Mom died of breast cancer so I understand... I wish I had a magic wand to wave and make everything better for you... It takes a long time but eventually it will get better.. do you have someone you can talk to? A sister or brother or trusted friend? I hope so...if not, you can always come here and we will listen...

Try to remember all the good times you had with your Mom and keep her memory alive in your heart...I am sure she is watching over you with love and pride.. you sound like a very special girl...

Big hugs,
    Dot
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Dot53 said:

Hi Emigirl...
    I am so sorry to hear about your Mom and what you have gone through at such a young age.. I was also 14 when my Mom died of breast cancer so I understand... I wish I had a magic wand to wave and make everything better for you... It takes a long time but eventually it will get better.. do you have someone you can talk to? A sister or brother or trusted friend? I hope so...if not, you can always come here and we will listen...

Try to remember all the good times you had with your Mom and keep her memory alive in your heart...I am sure she is watching over you with love and pride.. you sound like a very special girl...

Big hugs,
    Dot

My heart goes out to you, dear Emigirl.
    I am so sorry about the passing of your Mom, and all she has been thru. You are such a brave soul ..

Memories are locked into our hearts and souls. If possible, journal stories of Mom - thoughts, good times, special moments -- maybe Mom's hopes and dreams for you -- this way you will always have vivid memories of Mom, with you in years to come.

Bless you ..

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Dot53 said:

Hi Emigirl...

Big hugs,
    Dot

I am so sorry about the passing of your Mom, and all she has been thru. You are such a brave soul ..

Memories are locked into our hearts and souls. If possible, journal stories of Mom - thoughts, good times, special moments -- maybe Mom's hopes and dreams for you -- this way you will always have vivid memories of Mom, with you in years to come.

Bless you ..

Vicki Sam
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Bless you ..

Vicki Sam

To lose a parent is so sad,
    To lose a parent is so sad, so hard to accept Emigirl. And, you are at such a young age to have had this happen. I know your Mom is in Heaven smiling at the wonderful daughter she has and is so proud of you!

No one can take your wonderful memories of her. Hold on to them and cherish them!

I pray that you will stay strong and live a life filled with all of the wonderful times you had with your Mom.

God bless you,

Sue :)
  • poplolly
    poplolly Member Posts: 346
    Options
    You have your mother and
    You have your mother in your heart and God has her in his arms. I'm very sorry for this terrible loss.
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    I'm so sorry you lost your Mom
    I wish NO child had to experience such a loss. You know, dreams come true because many people have an experience such as yourself and want to use that to turn it into something good and positive. You would make a great oncologist and I believe you will be one in the future.

Hugs to you,

Sylvia
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    poplolly said:

You have your mother and
    You have your mother in your heart and God has her in his arms. I'm very sorry for this terrible loss.

I am so sorry for the loss
    I am so sorry for the loss of your Mother. Sending you hugs and the best for your bright future!

Hugs, Jan
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Bless you ..

Vicki Sam

You're a sweet, brave young woman!
    You would honor your Mother by becoming an oncologist. I am sorry for your loss.

♥ Kristin ♥
  • sinee
    sinee Member Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    emigirl
    if you look up The American Cancer Society on google you can get your answer about Relay for Life, in Chicago..or how to start your own team,. I think being an Oncologist is a grand ambition, but I bet your mom would want you to do whatever it is that makes you the happiest. Most mom's kind of think that way. You have gone through this experience for a reason and I am sure time will help you figure out why. Going into research is another good way to help find a cure. My friends Oncologist left Oncology to go into research for the very same reason. Love to you. You sound like a wonderful young woman, that any mom would be proud of. So sorry for your loss
  • sinee
    sinee Member Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    emigirl
    if you look up The American Cancer Society on google you can get your answer about Relay for Life, in Chicago..or how to start your own team,. I think being an Oncologist is a grand ambition, but I bet your mom would want you to do whatever it is that makes you the happiest. Most mom's kind of think that way. You have gone through this experience for a reason and I am sure time will help you figure out why. Going into research is another good way to help find a cure. My friends Oncologist left Oncology to go into research for the very same reason. Love to you. You sound like a wonderful young woman, that any mom would be proud of. So sorry for your loss.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    mamolady said:

walks
    http://www.relayforlife.org/relay/findevent

http://www.avonwalk.org/

http://www.komenchicago.org/

Here are the three main walks for cancer. They may have a minimum age for walking but you may be able to volunteer if you can't walk. Run them by your dad, maybe he can help you decide which one would be best.

I am so sorry about your mom. Loosing a mom is hard no matter how old you are. It is wonderful that you want to give back to help others going through this. She must have been a very special person to raise such an awesome daughter.

Cindy

I'm so sorry you lost your
    I'm so sorry you lost your Mom to cancer. Sending hugs and prayers to you!
  • Viranani
    Viranani Member Posts: 9
    Options
    You go, Girl!
    Dear Emigirl,
    Oh, such a hard thing to go through, I'm so very sorry. I lost my Mom young, too, and know hoe hard it can be. But to become an Oncologist as a result of your pain now will only make you a fabulous and incredibly compassionate doctor!!! So may your deepest wishes come true as a beautiful testament to your Mother, and to benefit us all. Right now she would be very very proud of you.

Another site to check about walks or athletic events is Livestrong, started by lance Armstrong after his bone cancer.
    Wishing you all the very best.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    sinee said:

emigirl
    if you look up The American Cancer Society on google you can get your answer about Relay for Life, in Chicago..or how to start your own team,. I think being an Oncologist is a grand ambition, but I bet your mom would want you to do whatever it is that makes you the happiest. Most mom's kind of think that way. You have gone through this experience for a reason and I am sure time will help you figure out why. Going into research is another good way to help find a cure. My friends Oncologist left Oncology to go into research for the very same reason. Love to you. You sound like a wonderful young woman, that any mom would be proud of. So sorry for your loss.

Your dream to be an
    Your dream to be an oncologist and help to find a cure for cancer is impressive! I am very sorry for your loss emigirl. Prayers and hugs for you!

Leeza
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    Viranani said:

You go, Girl!
    Dear Emigirl,
    Oh, such a hard thing to go through, I'm so very sorry. I lost my Mom young, too, and know hoe hard it can be. But to become an Oncologist as a result of your pain now will only make you a fabulous and incredibly compassionate doctor!!! So may your deepest wishes come true as a beautiful testament to your Mother, and to benefit us all. Right now she would be very very proud of you.

Another site to check about walks or athletic events is Livestrong, started by lance Armstrong after his bone cancer.

I understand
    I lost my mom when I was 15. It's really hard. She had MS.

Your goal to become a physician is fantastic. Keep on track. I hope by the time you've finished medical school that the cure for breast cancer will have already been found and your job will be to cure your patients!

Best,

Suzanne
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    sea60 said:

I'm so sorry you lost your Mom
    I wish NO child had to experience such a loss. You know, dreams come true because many people have an experience such as yourself and want to use that to turn it into something good and positive. You would make a great oncologist and I believe you will be one in the future.

Hugs to you,

Sylvia

I think your wanting to
    I think your wanting to become an oncologist is a great idea and I bet you will do it! I am sorry to read of your loss. You have my deepest sympathy.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    emigirl
    so sorry for the loss of your mother. I applaud your strength and hope that your dream to become an oncologist is fulfilled. Thanks for wanting to help stop this disease. No one should lose their mom at such a young age. Bless you.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Viranani said:

You go, Girl!
    Dear Emigirl,

Offering my condolences for
    Offering my condolences for your loss. You have a great goal and I just know you will become the best oncologist ever!

Hugs,

Kylez