Comments

• EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    robang13 said:

@sue
    You know, you're right.

@sue

You know, you're right. After the surgeon I will go up the street to the rads place and ask to see one of the doctors. Mine is on vacation. I'm seeing him next week for a followup. Would have been seeing him this week if he hadn't been away.
    Right now it has Xclair on it and is covered with gauze. It feels better. Thanks for the prayers: )

hang in there
    Unfortunately a few of us have issues with this. I burned-pix on my expression page. Silvadene, air & no clothes were my friends. My 16 year old got a little weirded out but he was welcome to stay in his room--I had my own issues.

Talk with your docs and give it time. Just one more fun aspect of the fight with the beast.

Maureen
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options

hang in there
    Unfortunately a few of us have issues with this. I burned-pix on my expression page. Silvadene, air & no clothes were my friends. My 16 year old got a little weirded out but he was welcome to stay in his room--I had my own issues.

Talk with your docs and give it time. Just one more fun aspect of the fight with the beast.

Maureen

OUCH!
    It took several weeks for my burns to heal but that was the radiation area nut under the breast. Glad you're checking back in with your doctor. I tried going topless around the house, staying away from the windows of course and that seems to help a lot. Once things healed a little better I started using Gold Bond Ultimate soothing because it was fragrance free. You've gotten lots of good advice from others who have been there!
  • rosamercedes
    rosamercedes Member Posts: 7
    Options

hang in there

Maureen

HAVING PROBLEMS TOO
    I AM ON MY 15TH DAY OF RADIATION AND IT IS STARTING TO BURN BADLY THE WORST AREAS ARE UNDER MY ARM,UNDER THE BREAST AND THE NIPPLE, IT HURTS, I HAVE USED ALL THE CREAMS THEY TOLD ME TO USE BUT THE NURSE SAID THEY CAN PRESCRIBE A CREAM WITH STEROIDS HAS ANYONE USED IT DOES IT HELP? I AM IN SO MUCH PAIN THAT IT IS DIFFICULT TO MOVE MY ARM AND I FINALLY BURNED MY BRA AND I DON'T CARE HOW I LOOK ANYMORE IT IS A LITTLE UNEVEN BUT THE PAIN IS WORSE.
    I THINK THE ONLY THING TO DO IS GET THE STRENGTH FROM THIS GROUP OF LADIES AND OUR FAMILIES TO KEEP GOING.
  • robang13
    robang13 Member Posts: 333
    Options
    skipper54 said:

OUCH!
    It took several weeks for my burns to heal but that was the radiation area nut under the breast. Glad you're checking back in with your doctor. I tried going topless around the house, staying away from the windows of course and that seems to help a lot. Once things healed a little better I started using Gold Bond Ultimate soothing because it was fragrance free. You've gotten lots of good advice from others who have been there!

I was radiated under my
    I was radiated under my breast too. I went face down for rads and it was the underneath and really all around my breast. My scar is underneath also. Nothing seems to be working: covered, uncovered, all the same results:pain. Tried the topless around the house but there are too many people in mine! I try to saty in my room for that now : )
  • robang13
    Options

HAVING PROBLEMS TOO
    I AM ON MY 15TH DAY OF RADIATION AND IT IS STARTING TO BURN BADLY THE WORST AREAS ARE UNDER MY ARM,UNDER THE BREAST AND THE NIPPLE, IT HURTS, I HAVE USED ALL THE CREAMS THEY TOLD ME TO USE BUT THE NURSE SAID THEY CAN PRESCRIBE A CREAM WITH STEROIDS HAS ANYONE USED IT DOES IT HELP? I AM IN SO MUCH PAIN THAT IT IS DIFFICULT TO MOVE MY ARM AND I FINALLY BURNED MY BRA AND I DON'T CARE HOW I LOOK ANYMORE IT IS A LITTLE UNEVEN BUT THE PAIN IS WORSE.
    I THINK THE ONLY THING TO DO IS GET THE STRENGTH FROM THIS GROUP OF LADIES AND OUR FAMILIES TO KEEP GOING.

I was prescribed Xclair that
    I was prescribed Xclair that can be used on 2nd and 3rd degree burns. It helps a lot. I also lathered on Aquaphor every day and night and went topless after till it soaked in. I was also given a numbing cream, can't think of the name.It seems a little soon to be burned so badly. I would question it.
    I hope you get some relief soon!

Angela
  • gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    Options

HAVING PROBLEMS TOO

Sorry to say ....
    I still have terrible pains in breast and nipple areas.Still rundown and it has been 7 months since radiation. Surgeon told me 2 weeks ago that my breast feels half way healed or halfway raw. I was so discouraged to hear that. I hate to complain but I had more than enough side effects from radiation and from the Arimidex. They took me off the meds 5months ago. This whole cancer thing is a MESS for me. I know I will be different than I was before but not this bad. Can't say I don't have some good days, and I am so happy with those. Just praying it will pass.

Hugs and Prayers to all.
    Thanks for listening.

Diana (gagee)
  • robang13
    Options
    gagee said:

Sorry to say ....
    I still have terrible pains in breast and nipple areas.Still rundown and it has been 7 months since radiation. Surgeon told me 2 weeks ago that my breast feels half way healed or halfway raw. I was so discouraged to hear that. I hate to complain but I had more than enough side effects from radiation and from the Arimidex. They took me off the meds 5months ago. This whole cancer thing is a MESS for me. I know I will be different than I was before but not this bad. Can't say I don't have some good days, and I am so happy with those. Just praying it will pass.

Hugs and Prayers to all.
    Thanks for listening.

Diana (gagee)

@dianaReally? 7 months? I
    @diana

Really? 7 months? I don't know if I can take that much more either. I have had numerous side effects and complications starting with the second surgery and leakage and cellulitis and infections that took weeks to go away. Now with the radiation side effects; a fungus, horrid burns and raw skin and exhaustion. So, I know what you are talking about and how you are feeling. Like enough already! You just want to be normal again, whatever that may be but w/o pain. I'm meeting with my surgeon in an hour and hoping he has some good news for me. I just want to heal and be able to walk w/o squirming from the pain.
    Hope things get better for you : )
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    robang13 said:

@dianaReally? 7 months? I
    @diana

Really? 7 months? I don't know if I can take that much more either. I have had numerous side effects and complications starting with the second surgery and leakage and cellulitis and infections that took weeks to go away. Now with the radiation side effects; a fungus, horrid burns and raw skin and exhaustion. So, I know what you are talking about and how you are feeling. Like enough already! You just want to be normal again, whatever that may be but w/o pain. I'm meeting with my surgeon in an hour and hoping he has some good news for me. I just want to heal and be able to walk w/o squirming from the pain.
    Hope things get better for you : )

Hoping and praying you get
    Hoping and praying you get good news today robang.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    robang13 said:

I was prescribed Xclair that
    I was prescribed Xclair that can be used on 2nd and 3rd degree burns. It helps a lot. I also lathered on Aquaphor every day and night and went topless after till it soaked in. I was also given a numbing cream, can't think of the name.It seems a little soon to be burned so badly. I would question it.
    I hope you get some relief soon!

Angela

It seems we all react so
    It seems we all react so differently to rads. I am so sorry that you are going thru this Angela. Keep on your rads oncologist to help you however he can. You shouldn't be having pain.

And, to answer your question, I was healing during boosters and then probably within 4 weeks after rads, my skin was great.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    robang13 said:

I was radiated under my
    I was radiated under my breast too. I went face down for rads and it was the underneath and really all around my breast. My scar is underneath also. Nothing seems to be working: covered, uncovered, all the same results:pain. Tried the topless around the house but there are too many people in mine! I try to saty in my room for that now : )

Hoping and praying that you
    Hoping and praying that you heal fast and that your doctors, your rads oncolgoist, can get you thru this more comfortably.

I am so sorry this happened to you.

Hugs, Jan
  • robang13
    Options

Hoping and praying that you
    Hoping and praying that you heal fast and that your doctors, your rads oncolgoist, can get you thru this more comfortably.

I am so sorry this happened to you.

Hugs, Jan

@Jan
    Thanks so much. I went

@Jan
    Thanks so much. I went yesterday and the rads doc gave me those yellow goopy "skins" in the silver wrappers. It really helps and as long as I keep them on I feel better. I can't think of the name, but she also gave me a script for them. I just wished they weren't so gross to put and keep on. But I'm happy that they take away the pain.
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    Ritzy said:

I didn't have any burns, so,
    I didn't have any burns, so, I don't know how long it might take. I was really red though and tender, so, I think it took a couple of weeks after rads for me to start feeling comfortable. The rest of the rads area started healing while I had the boosters. Rads are cumulative, so, you are still "cooking" even after the zapping is done and over with.

Just take good care of your skin still and be gentle with it for a few weeks. What did your rads oncologist suggest? Any new cream maybe? Like I have said before, I used Biafine for any burn that I might get and I used tons of Aquaphor to keep my skin moist and in good condition. And, I used the Aquaphor for weeks after I was finished. It worked because once my skin cleared up, it feels like a baby's behind. lol But, only use what your own rads oncologist suggests.

Don't be discouraged, your skin will heal. It just takes a little time.

Sue :)

I had quite a lot of damage.
    I had quite a lot of damage. My nurse had me use "Domeboro soaks" from the drugstore & that really helped. I also wore cotton bras from "Just my Size" in a larger size; I also lined the bra with flannel squares to help ease the discomfort. I continued to work--just wore loose jacket-type tops. Tux
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    robang13 said:

@Jan
    Thanks so much. I went

@Jan
    Thanks so much. I went yesterday and the rads doc gave me those yellow goopy "skins" in the silver wrappers. It really helps and as long as I keep them on I feel better. I can't think of the name, but she also gave me a script for them. I just wished they weren't so gross to put and keep on. But I'm happy that they take away the pain.

I think it was a few weeks
    I think it was a few weeks after rads finished when my the redness and the tenderness went away. Maybe, a month? Your skin will clear up and be fine. Some, maybe like you, will take a little longer because of the problems you have had.

Hugs, Leeza
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

hang in there

Maureen

I was one of the lucky ones,
    I was one of the lucky ones, no burn, but very red and very tender. The boosters really made me red, but, during them, the rest of my breast started to heal.

I hope you heal quickly. I know it has to be painful.

Gentle hugs,

Megan
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    robang13 said:

@Jan
    Thanks so much. I went

@Jan

So glad to read your pain is
    So glad to read your pain is better robang!
  • robang13
    Options
    Thank You everyone for your
    Thank You everyone for your help and support!! I went back to the rads center yesterday and saw the PA that is so great. She took one look at the underneath of my breast and couldn't understand how I was walking around! Glad to know that I wasn't complaining for nothing : ) She said I am healing, peeling and radiating all at once. She gave me more of those petroleum pads and told me to keep them on at all times. It really does help a LOT!! when I remove them I can feel the difference. She wants to see me again next week. So I am on the mend finally!!

Now I had to take my first tamoxifen pill today. I felt like I was taking poison. I know I will get every reaction possible. Have patience with me once I start posting about that!!!

angela
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    robang13 said:

Thank You everyone for your
    Thank You everyone for your help and support!! I went back to the rads center yesterday and saw the PA that is so great. She took one look at the underneath of my breast and couldn't understand how I was walking around! Glad to know that I wasn't complaining for nothing : ) She said I am healing, peeling and radiating all at once. She gave me more of those petroleum pads and told me to keep them on at all times. It really does help a LOT!! when I remove them I can feel the difference. She wants to see me again next week. So I am on the mend finally!!

Now I had to take my first tamoxifen pill today. I felt like I was taking poison. I know I will get every reaction possible. Have patience with me once I start posting about that!!!

angela

So glad that you got some
    So glad that you got some help and that you are feeling better. Rads are hard, and, I always dislike it when someone says they are a piece of cake, because they are not.

So keep mending and congrats!

Hugs, Kylez
  • cbharvest
    cbharvest Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Just Finished Today
    Hi All,
    I just finished my rads today, 16+5 boosts. What a relief to get done! Anyway, I guess my skin is as good as can be expected, but my nipple and whole breast are VERY tender. I've been pumping Advil for a week, with the doctor's approval, applying Aquaphor daily, and recently starting putting cortisone cream on my nipple. That's really why I'm writing. It works very well to kill that itch or under the skin creeping feeling. However, don't put it on before treatment and you might want to make sure that your doctor says okay. But when you're done, go for it! What a relief!

Good luck!
  • lori1961
    lori1961 Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Hi ro,
    I had to go back to

Hi ro,
    I had to go back to my rad a week after I finished cause I was having a reaction to the rads and my skin started healing. He gave me aquaphor with lidocaine but wanted to give me silvadene cream but am allergic too it. I had to wear gauze so it would not irritate the skin. I was better in a week. I felt really silly calling them but talked the nurse and she told me to come in and told me any questions call anytime. Good luck and give them a call.
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    lori1961 said:

Hi ro,
    I had to go back to

Hi ro,
    I had to go back to my rad a week after I finished cause I was having a reaction to the rads and my skin started healing. He gave me aquaphor with lidocaine but wanted to give me silvadene cream but am allergic too it. I had to wear gauze so it would not irritate the skin. I was better in a week. I felt really silly calling them but talked the nurse and she told me to come in and told me any questions call anytime. Good luck and give them a call.

domeboro soaks
    I see that this post is an old one, but I just had to reply anyway. My rads nurse had
    me use domeboro soaks--Found in the drugstore -- no prescription needed. You mix up a solution & put it on gauze & soak for 20 min. (I think.) I did it in the morning before work, in the early evening after rads, & beore bed. The improvement was immediate.

I lined my bra with squares of white flannel to ease the discomfort. It actually felt better to wear an oversize cotton bra from Just My Size, rather than nothing at all, because the bra stopped any rubbing/movement & helped ease the pain. Hope this helps!