just received diagnosis

Options

Comments

• skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

Hi ConnieCal - you have a
    Hi ConnieCal - you have a great attitude. Sorry for your reason for being here, but welcome. You'll find much support and wisdom on your journey. xoxoxo Lynn

Sending hugs and prayers!
    The diagnosis is never one we want to hear but you have a good attitude and will be fine. There's lots of pink sisters here so come back often for support, with questions, to vent, or whatever. I don't remember saying "I have cancer" just that I was going to start treatment and now "I'm a cancer survivor!" Know that we will be with you all the way.

You mentioned that you had a deep faith. Don't be afraid to reach out to those around you and ask for prayers. I felt so wrapped in prayers throughout my journey that I know that is what carried me through. I felt such a comforting presence during my chemo treatments and just knew someone was prayering for me at that exact moment - especially the first one. Later found out that the Dir. of local mission and outreach at our church was praying for me to have strength when I started my treatments the next day. He didn't realize that I was starting THAT DAY and was praying at the time the started my drip. God is good! And he'll watch over you on this journey.

(Also recently started yoga - post-op - and then discovered several articles suggesting this as a good practice during treatments and after. Something to think about.)
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

VickiSam - I love your
    VickiSam - I love your definition of SOB. I have a different one.

Me too Lynn! lol

Me too Lynn! lol
  • Viranani
    Viranani Member Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm new, too
    Hi, Connie,
    I'm a newbie too...and am amazed by the support here.
    But not by the diagnosis. Worry is optional, and what has surprised me is now that the 'worst-case scenario' is here, and in reality it's not nearly as horrible as I would have imagined. The _idea_ of cancer isn't cancer!

Well easy for me to say...I'm only entering this realm...but am inspired by all the beauty here. I teach people mindfulness, how to live in the present, one day at a time, one moment at a time...but seeing so many people here *walking* that talk is incredibly inspiring!
    Viranani
  • candu
    candu Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Well wishes
    We have the same type and size breast cancer and I am 3/4 way through my chemo.
    All and all it is not something I would wish on anyone.......but it is manageable....more of an inconvenience.
    You might look into wigs....I am in the public eye a lot and they really helped me even though I went kicking and screaming into the wig store.
    And, as much as we might not believe it.....you do loose your hair.
    A few side effects with the chemo.......but manageable.
    Let your family and friends help you with things when you become fatigued.....they want to help and you really will appreciate them doing it.
    Keep a positive attitude....that's a must!
    The best to you.
    And remember "cancer" is just a word....not a sentence!
    Candu
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Different doctors
    ConnieCal,
    The only thing no one mentioned is to always let your oncologist know what you are taking even over the counter stuff even if the medical doctor recommends it. He/she may not know all the up to date info about cancer treatment. It may make the chemo not work as well or counter act it.
    Keep the great attitude! This site is great, the women are wonderful.

Cindy
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Conniecal
    welcome to this site but am sorry for the reason. We listen, unload our thoughts, get encouragement, support and knowledge from so many here. Ask away and someone will have an answer or share their experience.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Similar to me
    I had microcalcifications. My dx was invasive ductal carcinoma. I had a lumpectomy and one lymph node removed. I had a very low Onco Dx test score and opted out of chemo, I had radiation and am on Arimidex.

Sue

I also had the
    I also had microcalcifications and invasive bc. Lumpectomy and rads were my treatment.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

Lex
  • calderonjensen
    calderonjensen Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Viranani said:

I'm new, too
    Hi, Connie,
    I'm a newbie too...and am amazed by the support here.
    But not by the diagnosis. Worry is optional, and what has surprised me is now that the 'worst-case scenario' is here, and in reality it's not nearly as horrible as I would have imagined. The _idea_ of cancer isn't cancer!

Well easy for me to say...I'm only entering this realm...but am inspired by all the beauty here. I teach people mindfulness, how to live in the present, one day at a time, one moment at a time...but seeing so many people here *walking* that talk is incredibly inspiring!
    Viranani

beautiful
    Hi Viranani,

I have been in tears just reading the post of these women supporting myself and others! It's quite inspiring and all-loving. I almost feel like I have been blessed...and in a way, I have been: My lump was caught early; it's level 1; and I am in good health. With all these wonderful women sending me their prayers, support, and wisdom I can only feel that I will be a better person after this journey.

I took a mindfulness course about 4 years ago to help with my migraines and anxiety, and it was a beautiful experience. I must confess that I haven't kept up with my practice, but whenever I feel myself starting to spiral in the wrong direction, I can use what I learned to calm myself and get back to what really matters. I actually used my meditations while doing the MRI this morning...it was scarier than I expected. But it's done and I will hear the news from my doctor tomorrow.

I hope you are well...you're picture is so soothing and you have such light!
    I look forward to hearing more about your practice and how your journey is going.

Be well,

ConnieCal
  • calderonjensen
    Options
    candu said:

Well wishes
    We have the same type and size breast cancer and I am 3/4 way through my chemo.
    All and all it is not something I would wish on anyone.......but it is manageable....more of an inconvenience.
    You might look into wigs....I am in the public eye a lot and they really helped me even though I went kicking and screaming into the wig store.
    And, as much as we might not believe it.....you do loose your hair.
    A few side effects with the chemo.......but manageable.
    Let your family and friends help you with things when you become fatigued.....they want to help and you really will appreciate them doing it.
    Keep a positive attitude....that's a must!
    The best to you.
    And remember "cancer" is just a word....not a sentence!
    Candu

more info
    HI Candu,

I'm glad to hear that you are almost done! What kind of chemo are you taking?
    My doctor won't know if I need chemo until after the MRI, which I took today. I should get a call from him tomorrow.

If you don't mind, will you tell me more about the chemo? My husband has been reading a lot about alternatives and wants me to think about not using chemo. I told him I would read whatever he wants me to read and that I would speak with an integrative medical doctor, but if chemo is the answer to stop reoccurrance, then I will go with that solution. I have three young boys and I want and need to be around for them!
    What was your experience like?

I love your last saying...I will keep that with me at all times!
    Thank you for responding. I look forward to communicating with you again.

Be well,

ConnieCal
  • calderonjensen
    Options
    mamolady said:

Different doctors
    ConnieCal,
    The only thing no one mentioned is to always let your oncologist know what you are taking even over the counter stuff even if the medical doctor recommends it. He/she may not know all the up to date info about cancer treatment. It may make the chemo not work as well or counter act it.
    Keep the great attitude! This site is great, the women are wonderful.

Cindy

HI Cindy,
    Thank you for

HI Cindy,

Thank you for telling me this.
    I am on a regimen of supplements and will start keeping a list of them so my doctor and oncologist know what I'm up to.

I hope you are well...love the slide!
    ConnieCal
  • calderonjensen
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Conniecal
    welcome to this site but am sorry for the reason. We listen, unload our thoughts, get encouragement, support and knowledge from so many here. Ask away and someone will have an answer or share their experience.
    {{hugs}} Char

hugs to you
    HI Char,

Thank you for your welcome.
    {{hugs}} right back at ya!

Be well,

ConnieCal
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    MAJW said:

Susanne Summers...
    Remember...she's in the "business" of selling her books....also if I remember correctly,she had in situ...but I've also heard skeptics, doctors included doubt she really had bc..she's never had a physician verify it....only "physicians" that push all the supplements she takes...I've actually heard her speak, long before I was diagnosed...wasn't impressed at all...she would fumble in her responses when asked questions...couldn't seem to give concrete answers...I have a friend who's physician told her to throw the book in the trash!...but to each his own....

Just welcoming you and
    Just welcoming you and offering my support to you.

Hugs, Megan
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    deeb111 said:

idc
    hello i also in treatment for idc lumpectomy reduction and eventualy rad and tamoxafen hope all goes well and yes coming to this site helps cause we all no what it feels like and can speak from our experiances not just use words that in fact dont make u feel better at all so welcome and i hope we can help it matters and we all are in the fight so lets do it together

Sending prayers and lots of
    Sending prayers and lots of hugs to you!

Debby
  • poplolly
    poplolly Member Posts: 346
    Options

more info
    HI Candu,

I'm glad to hear that you are almost done! What kind of chemo are you taking?
    My doctor won't know if I need chemo until after the MRI, which I took today. I should get a call from him tomorrow.

If you don't mind, will you tell me more about the chemo? My husband has been reading a lot about alternatives and wants me to think about not using chemo. I told him I would read whatever he wants me to read and that I would speak with an integrative medical doctor, but if chemo is the answer to stop reoccurrance, then I will go with that solution. I have three young boys and I want and need to be around for them!
    What was your experience like?

I love your last saying...I will keep that with me at all times!
    Thank you for responding. I look forward to communicating with you again.

Be well,

ConnieCal

The way my oncologist put it
    The way my oncologist put it to me, my best chance of whipping my cancer was chemo and radiation. I know it's different for others and my cancer was 5.6 cm. I think size does make a difference in treatment. I'll be thinking about you.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

Hi Renee
    Since I am new to

Hi Renee
    Since I am new to this, can you teach me some the lingo I will need?
    For example, what is an axillary dissection?
    TAC? And rads? What's a microcalcs?

As I mentioned, I feel really good. I am positive that this cancer will be taken care of and that I will be fine.
    I have three young boys (7 years young & twins that are 5.5)...they and my husband are the loves of my life!
    I will do what the doctors tell me needs to be done, but I want to educate myself as well.
    I need to know about alternatives, other scenarios, and side effects.

Thank you again for responding.

Be well,

ConnieCal

Great attitude! And, you
    Great attitude! And, you will fight and beat this! You are a winner and a pink sister!

Praying for you,

Diane
  • mamma8
    mamma8 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Good attitude. learn
    Good attitude. learn everything you can, pray, make your choices then
    Fight well.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    natly15 said:

You dont have to say "I have
    You dont have to say "I have breast cancer". That does not necessarily mean you are in denial. I've said I'm treating cancer, I've been diagnosed with cancer or I am a cancer survivor and you are already a survivor because you are here to say so. Some people use the phrase " I have cancer, cancer doesnt have me". I dont like that phrase and dont personally use it. I dont claim ownership of cancer, it's not something I want to own. Hope this makes sense to you and others. You know you will do anything and everything to treat it, so I consider you a survior and a warrior. Welcome to the boards, there is invaluable info here and true and understanding emotional support. Hugs to you.

Sending prayers to you
    Sending prayers to you Connie!
  • calderonjensen
    Options
    mamma8 said:

Good attitude. learn
    Good attitude. learn everything you can, pray, make your choices then
    Fight well.

thank you!
    Mamma8, I intend to keep having a good attitude and make my choices based on what I hear from the doctors, what I read in good books, and from resources found on this website.
    I pray regularly and I find that very calming as well.

I have three young boys, twins that are 5.5 and my oldest who turns 7 in August...great reasons to fight the good fight!
    I am not worried. The doctor told me I can do a biopsy when I get back from vacation in July. He wants me to relax, get some exercise, and recharge after getting my diagnosis.
    That's what I will do!

Thank you for posting and support!

Be well,

ConnieCal
  • calderonjensen
    Options
    Kristin N said:

Sending prayers to you
    Sending prayers to you Connie!

prayers
    Thank you Kristin.

My biopsy was rescheduled for July, after I return from vacation.
    This makes me feel really good since it wasn't critical and needing to be done ASAP.
    We leave for Norway on June 14th and I get back on July 5th.
    I intend to rest, eat good food, go on long walks and hikes with my boys, and do some useful reading. I'm going to pick up the "Anti Caner" book by Dr. David Servan-Schreiber Three people have recommended it, so it must be useful.

Be well,

ConnieCal

PS: I love that cat! IT looks like a Russian blue!
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    Options

thank you!
    Mamma8, I intend to keep having a good attitude and make my choices based on what I hear from the doctors, what I read in good books, and from resources found on this website.
    I pray regularly and I find that very calming as well.

I have three young boys, twins that are 5.5 and my oldest who turns 7 in August...great reasons to fight the good fight!
    I am not worried. The doctor told me I can do a biopsy when I get back from vacation in July. He wants me to relax, get some exercise, and recharge after getting my diagnosis.
    That's what I will do!

Thank you for posting and support!

Be well,

ConnieCal

Hi ConnieCal - sorry you have cause to be here, but glad you found us.

One thing that I found helpful is to have a notebook so you can take it with you to write things down from the doctor and/or to journal your thoughts. I happen to write backwards so I'm not bothered that anybody will be reading as I'm writing or even afterwards for that matter; leastways not without a mirror or such. (and I'd notice something like THAT! =)

Oh, and also pick up one of those plastic bins/box. They go for around $5 or so at Target or Wal-mart. Into this box will go all of the STUFF that your well-meaning-but-totally-clueless friends, family, neighbors, fellow parishioners and yes, even total strangers will thrust, er, ahem, will give you. They will give whatever to you because for the most part many will feel helpless and this is something that they CAN do.

Put anything and everything into this box and that way when YOU feel like it you can review it. Otherwise you may find it taxing and a real energy drainer. Like that book by Suzanne Somers for instance, into the box it goes. Enough energy spent already on deciding whether or not to read it. Problem solved. =)

ConnieCal, you're welcome to come here anytime day or night and for any reason even just to vent. The only dumb question is the unasked one. We care and we are here for you - we are your sisters in pink! We so get it here.