Mastectomy June 1st - So Scared!

Options
emamei
emamei Member Posts: 146
Hello ladies.

I'm having a unilateral mastectomy on Wednesday, June 1st.

I found out almost three weeks ago and in that time to now I've had my emotional ups and downs. Just when I think I'm doing o.k. and can face this strong the emotions and fear creep up and take hold.

I'm scared and my husband is too. This will be my third surgery since last October. Intellectually I know this is the right decision and my prognosis still looks good. I'm scared for a number of reasons; the surgery itself, possibility of complications, infection, etc., and God forbid, another bad news pathology report after.

I'm struggling to keep positive healing thoughts in my mind and heart. Both my surgeon and oncologist have told me this past week that they would be very surprised if more residual cancer is found in the tissue.

You might be wondering, why have the surgery then? For a couple of reasons, in case there is residual cancer, and to lessen the chance of recurrence in my case from 15-20% down to 2-5%.

My stomach is in knots, nauseous and generally upset. I'm not sleeping well either despite sleeping meds.

Any words of encouragement and wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Upcoming Mastectomy
    I had a unilateral mastectomy last year with a tissue expander put in at the same time. I do not think I was anywhere near as prepared as you are. I can see that you have been posting regularly and gathering information. Now I am a virtual expert in axillary dissections, mastectomy, chemotherapy, chemo side effects, etc.

You (and your husband) have every right to be scared. Having a mastectomy is no small matter. That being said, it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. While complications and infections can/do happen they do NOT happen for most people. You can't worry over the what-ifs. Most likely nothing out of the ordinary will happen. The post-surgical pain was not bad at all. I only took the pain meds for a few days. For whatever length of time you take the meds you might want to take a stool softener so you do not get constipated.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to get your arm/shoulder on the surgical side moving as soon as your surgeon says you possibly can. You will develop adhesions in the joint and get very stiff very quickly if you don't move it around. I was not well informed about this potential issue and ended up having surgery to remove the adhesions along with 4 months of physical therapy. The shoulder problem was FAR worse than the mastectomy itself.

Surgical drains are a given after a mastectomy. There are a number of threads on that lovely subject also. They are a favorite (NOT) of all of us.

If you have particular issues after the surgery please post and we will see what we can do for you.

Good luck.

IRENE
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Options
    emamei
    I am sorry you are on such an emotional roller coaster. Being scared before surgery is a normal thing. Having 3 surgeries in such a short span of time must be difficult. But you know you made it through the first two and you will make it through this one too. You will have a lot of pink sisters in the room with you. I will be there to hold your hand and give you all of the positive energy you need. Just remember that this is another step toward the end of this journey we didin't want to take. You Can Do It!

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Unilateral
    Please dont worry so much. The surgery was not so bad at all. The drains are the worst thing. You may even not have them so long, everyone is different. Mine 2 weeks. I healed very well and no infection after four surgeries. If your hubby is supportive, it makes all the difference. I now have a really good 'shape' feel well all things considered. Just take things one at a time and ask any questions you like. There was one about the drains on this site which was spot on about how to keep comfortable and suitable clothing.

Keep strong. Rosalind
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    Not to downplay this surgery
    but I had what is called a "drive by" mastectomy. In the hospital early in the moring and home by like 4 P.M., it was crazy. I felt fine but I would have liked to have stayed at the hospital overnight. They treated it like it was no big deal. I'm sure Insurance had a lot to do with it.

Anyway, try not to get too worked up over it. Hopefully, you'll stay at least one night.

Keeping you in prayer,

Sylvia
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

Unilateral
    Please dont worry so much. The surgery was not so bad at all. The drains are the worst thing. You may even not have them so long, everyone is different. Mine 2 weeks. I healed very well and no infection after four surgeries. If your hubby is supportive, it makes all the difference. I now have a really good 'shape' feel well all things considered. Just take things one at a time and ask any questions you like. There was one about the drains on this site which was spot on about how to keep comfortable and suitable clothing.

Keep strong. Rosalind

How to overcome stress
    I am sorry that you have been scared. I can tell you what did work for me. I had total four surgeries for breast, I knew that my pathology report from mastectomy could have cancer.
    I was focusing on practical aspects, trying to prepare my house, my post-opp clothing, food, ect.
    I gave away of my snug shirts, tops. We did go grocery shopping to have food and drinks, cooked meals for family and myself; paid credit card bills, clean the house, wrote e-mails for work keeping myself busy and occupied all the time. Unfortunately, mastectomy is a major surgery, recovery will take several days therefore I tried to put things in order as much as I could prior to my surgery.
    Hospital requested a lot of documentation, including "Living will", clearance for the surgery, my Doc sent to "Stress Echo", I was very, very busy girl. I was afraid of one thing that something could prevent me from having surgery. I guess we all are very different

Wishing you a good luck and easy healing
    New Flower
  • Ticky
    Ticky Member Posts: 117
    Options
    sea60 said:

Not to downplay this surgery
    but I had what is called a "drive by" mastectomy. In the hospital early in the moring and home by like 4 P.M., it was crazy. I felt fine but I would have liked to have stayed at the hospital overnight. They treated it like it was no big deal. I'm sure Insurance had a lot to do with it.

Anyway, try not to get too worked up over it. Hopefully, you'll stay at least one night.

Keeping you in prayer,

Sylvia

mastectomy
    Prayers and Hugs. It is not easy mentally or physically but you will find a way to make it through this just as so many of us have.

Ticky
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options
    Ticky said:

mastectomy
    Prayers and Hugs. It is not easy mentally or physically but you will find a way to make it through this just as so many of us have.

Ticky

Maria,
    I can't wait until this is all behind you, I am sorry my dear that you are going through this emotional turmoil. I also know from past posts that you have a fantastic support group and a very loving husband. On that day you will be surprised by all the strength you have, you've seen it thus far with all you've been through. We are here for you girl before, during and after your surgery. I'll be sending loving thoughts and prayers Wednesday.

Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Options
    It will be ok
    When I first joined this wonderful group of ladies I remember reading the posts that said the surgery is not that bad and chemo is hard but doable and I believed all that I read and felt I am going to get through this and I will be okay. Believe and think positive, try to block negitive thoughts and have faith in what your doctors are telling you. This journey is truly the hardest thing to go through but we must do it. Your day is coming this week...you will do better if you stay calm. As I said I know it is hard but try. I had a bilatteral mast. this past aug. and chemo and I am doing well now.
    prayers are with you. Keep us posted.
    Hugs,
    Annette
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    Options

It will be ok
    When I first joined this wonderful group of ladies I remember reading the posts that said the surgery is not that bad and chemo is hard but doable and I believed all that I read and felt I am going to get through this and I will be okay. Believe and think positive, try to block negitive thoughts and have faith in what your doctors are telling you. This journey is truly the hardest thing to go through but we must do it. Your day is coming this week...you will do better if you stay calm. As I said I know it is hard but try. I had a bilatteral mast. this past aug. and chemo and I am doing well now.
    prayers are with you. Keep us posted.
    Hugs,
    Annette

O.K.
    Like Annette said it really will be OK the mastectomy is not bad, it's the thought of it.I had surgery last yr. on June the 1st.so this Wednesday will be a year for me I stayed 1 night in the hospital (yea) i thought the same thing I'm here giving up a body part and only staying 1 night you will be fine your worrying over the easy part of this journey if you really had to be thinking and worrying so ,use that energy to clean your cabinets out and put your dishes down lower so you can reach them and get your laundry caught up really your going to need that stuff at arms reach,I came home with pain medicine and didn't even have to take it. good luck and we're all going to be right their with you in spirit.~HUGS~ MollyZ
  • tjohnson2310
    tjohnson2310 Member Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Normal
    It is perfectly normal to be nervous. I know I was. Don't be afraid to call your surgeon and ask questions. They won't think you are crazy. It's important for you to know should there be complications there is a plan of care for it. Get informed on what the treatment plan is for positive and negative outcomes of the surgery.Also counseling can help you through an emotional roller-coaster.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Unilateral

Keep strong. Rosalind

Sending prayers and positive
    Sending prayers and positive thoughts to you today.

Hugs, Debby
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    My bilateral was Jan 14th.
    My bilateral was Jan 14th. And yes, it's normal to be nervous or worry. But, sadly, mastectomies have become common surgeries. So I looked at it like my two c-sections. Is it serious? Yes. Does my doc have lots of practice? Yes. Am I at risk for some of those icky complications? No.

It's easy to say don't borrow trouble, and harder to do. But anything you can do to reduce your stress keeps you in better health, promotes a better outcome and a better recovery.

Here's a link to a recorded meditation/guided imagery geared specifically to a successful surgery. http://www.permanente.net/homepage/kaiser/pages/f49056.html I wish I had thought of it sooner for you.

Come here to 'let it out' as often as you need. And I'll be sending lots of positive energy to you, your family, and your surgeon.

Big calming hugs,

Linda
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Ticky said:

mastectomy

Ticky

I'm sending lots of prayers,
    I'm sending lots of prayers, positive thoughts and hugs to you.

Hugs, Jan
  • CAchick
    CAchick Member Posts: 277
    Options
    Sending hugs
    I don't have personal experience with mastectomy surgery...only had three lumpectomies. But, I have had personal experience with being apprehensive, and scared. Sending you hugs, good thoughts, best wishes, and all the happy positive concepts I can think of!
    I think you will be in a lot of people's thoughts and prayers tomorrow...
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    on the list
    You are on the prayer list. You are doing the right thing for you when it comes to increasing your chances. When you have kids involved anything to increase your chances is a most important consideration.
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options

on the list
    You are on the prayer list. You are doing the right thing for you when it comes to increasing your chances. When you have kids involved anything to increase your chances is a most important consideration.

Thinking of you
    and sending positive thoughts.

xoxo
    Victoria
  • TiggersDoBounce
    TiggersDoBounce Member Posts: 408
    Options
    Sending thoughts and prayers
    Relax and get this behind you...your sisters here will be here to catch you when you get home!

Laurie
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options

Sending thoughts and prayers
    Relax and get this behind you...your sisters here will be here to catch you when you get home!

Laurie

I'll be praying for you
    I'll be praying for you tomorrow and sending lots of positive energy.
    God Bless,
    Wanda
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

I'll be praying for you
    I'll be praying for you tomorrow and sending lots of positive energy.
    God Bless,
    Wanda

We will...
    Be with you tomorrow..not physically, but in spirit....it's okay to be scared...we' ve been there and understand...this is a little piece of advice my surgeon gave me right before they put me under....he told me to go "somewhere" in my mind where I felt joy and at peace...said it helps to put the mind at rest...it worked for me....

Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery....sending prayers....
    Hugs, Nancy
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Ticky said:

mastectomy

Ticky

Offering you my prayers. I
    Offering you my prayers. I understand you are scared, but, everything will be alright!

Hugs, Megan