last night with the old bag UPDATE1 post op infection UPDATE2 getting better feeling good UPDATE3 fe

13»

Comments

• jjaj133
    jjaj133 Member Posts: 867 Member

i am on my best behaviour with nurses
    thanks anne,

my wifes good old school friend run the nurse training here, alot the nurses here have been trained by therese. i am getting the best care here at saint vincents. my high temp broke about 5 hours ago, its its just 37.2.

now i have pooing misadventures. i am whereing a very sexy green nappy now.

surgeon came in, redressed dressing, lots on blood, maybe 40mls. its out now.

drip off in 2 hours.

feeling much better.
    hugs,
    pete

Hi Pete, I am so glad you
    Hi Pete, I am so glad you are feeling better. What an ordeal. Hang in there, each day you are closer to feeling great.
    Prayers are still coming your way.
    Hugs, Judy
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member

Pete
    Pete,
    I'm glad that things are going better. Keeping you in my prayers.

Aloha,
    Kathleen

thanks kathleen
    i appreciate your prayers.
    today i got the drip off, lastest temp 36.6

but temp is up and down like a yoyo

changed the dressing and got alot of fluid, i mean heaps.

feeling a bit better, the pooping is a bit painful the wound site is stil painful

will just endure

hugs,
    pete
  • AncientTiger
    AncientTiger Member Posts: 130

thanks kathleen

feeling a bit better, the pooping is a bit painful the wound site is stil painful

will just endure

hugs,
    pete

Be patient GassHopper
    It takes time... expect the surgery site to be sore for many weeks, and it'll be at least a week before anything really solid is produced. And don't be too surprised if there isn't some serious pain when that happens and even some blood.

I still have a small tear in the rectal lining that causes pain and bleeds a little and my take-down surgery was last November... so just don't be too surprised.

I STILL firmly believe it was and is worth it. It's SOOOOO nice to be able to flop around in bed at night and not worry about busting a seal, or having to check to see if baby needs burping or emptying. For those that have one permanently, y'all have my utmost respect :(

And, isn't morphine just about the most amazing substance in the world Pete? I can definitely understand how some folks get addicted to the stuff... LOL
  • tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member

thanks kathleen

will just endure

hugs,
    pete

infection
    Sorry, I missed this post earlier and that you've had the iatrogenic infection.

We're using IV vitamin C plus their standard antibiotics. We'll see whether any infection is notable. This year's slice goes well above the navel.
  • pete43lost_at_sea

Be patient GassHopper
    It takes time... expect the surgery site to be sore for many weeks, and it'll be at least a week before anything really solid is produced. And don't be too surprised if there isn't some serious pain when that happens and even some blood.

I still have a small tear in the rectal lining that causes pain and bleeds a little and my take-down surgery was last November... so just don't be too surprised.

I STILL firmly believe it was and is worth it. It's SOOOOO nice to be able to flop around in bed at night and not worry about busting a seal, or having to check to see if baby needs burping or emptying. For those that have one permanently, y'all have my utmost respect :(

And, isn't morphine just about the most amazing substance in the world Pete? I can definitely understand how some folks get addicted to the stuff... LOL

morphine is great only got 3 hits at the start
    hi ancientiger

thanks for the detailed response about what may lie ahead.

just been on 2 panadols each 6 hours since. wound pain better tonight.

rolling around in the with just one bag, the wife is enough fun. no more explosions. and i have had my share.

did you get offer hernia repair ?
    have you been warned about not over doing anything stomach, like lifting etc.

hugs,
    pete
  • Kenny H.
    Kenny H. Member Posts: 502 Member
    tanstaafl said:

infection
    Sorry, I missed this post earlier and that you've had the iatrogenic infection.

We're using IV vitamin C plus their standard antibiotics. We'll see whether any infection is notable. This year's slice goes well above the navel.

Congrats Pete.
    Glad to hear

Congrats Pete.
    Glad to hear your no longer a "bag man" I'll always be. Surprized they removed your port so soon but thats good also.
    Hope your out of there soon
  • AncientTiger

morphine is great only got 3 hits at the start
    hi ancientiger

thanks for the detailed response about what may lie ahead.

just been on 2 panadols each 6 hours since. wound pain better tonight.

rolling around in the with just one bag, the wife is enough fun. no more explosions. and i have had my share.

did you get offer hernia repair ?
    have you been warned about not over doing anything stomach, like lifting etc.

hugs,
    pete

Yep, sure did
    Got my hernia operation done on January 18th and it turned into a bit more than we bargained for. There was a LOT of scar tissue left over from the initial surgery in March of last year (where the surgeon removed the cancerous portion of the colon, and my intestines were inflammed and swelled about 3 to 4x normal size).

A small part of the intestine had ruptured through the herniated are of my abdominal wall as well and become necrotic, so he had to snip it off and sew a little there. And to top it all off he ended up having to put in a mesh support for bringing the two sides of the hernia together. It's STILL sore, and I have to be a little careful in lifting or it get's REALLY sore.

Be forewarned Pete, the hernia surgery can be a BEAR. At least in MY case, it hurt me more and longer than the colon resection last year, but I'm glad I had it done. It's not going to hurt forever, and there was more going on than just a hole in my gut lining. Plus it got a lot of scar tissue out of there that probably should have been gotten out.
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    Kenny H. said:

Congrats Pete.
    Glad to hear

Congrats Pete.
    Glad to hear your no longer a "bag man" I'll always be. Surprized they removed your port so soon but thats good also.
    Hope your out of there soon

thanks kenny
    hi kenny and all my friends here,

the bag dimension has shaped who in am, it was not so bad. its strange but being disconnected for 7 months has meant i have been connected in a different way to most of the colorectal patients.

this week or two is a great time to chill and meditate. my temp is on the way up again, doing research immuno response pig mesh.

the hernia repair, the port out, the reversal the colonoscopy is alot of work. actually 2 hour was the op. gee i could do them all at once or come in individually.

the clear colonoscopy raised my confience, i was anxious over the result. these post op issues are the smallest bumps in the path to wellness.

the port of out, symbolises i am cured. so for today or this moment i am cancer free and alive. the feeling of relief and hope is honestly overwhelming.

now some will think the port removal premature, if your the positive thinking camp well its benefit mentally for me has been huge. soon i will be back to a life as undersea explorer ( i am an underwater photographer, its what i do, i dream about it and i cannot wait to get back too it)

when i hold my special wine glass in my hand it always appears the glass is half full. the illusion works so well for me, especially as i don't drink wine anymore.

thanks for the kind wishes,
    hugs,

pete
  • pete43lost_at_sea

Yep, sure did
    Got my hernia operation done on January 18th and it turned into a bit more than we bargained for. There was a LOT of scar tissue left over from the initial surgery in March of last year (where the surgeon removed the cancerous portion of the colon, and my intestines were inflammed and swelled about 3 to 4x normal size).

A small part of the intestine had ruptured through the herniated are of my abdominal wall as well and become necrotic, so he had to snip it off and sew a little there. And to top it all off he ended up having to put in a mesh support for bringing the two sides of the hernia together. It's STILL sore, and I have to be a little careful in lifting or it get's REALLY sore.

Be forewarned Pete, the hernia surgery can be a BEAR. At least in MY case, it hurt me more and longer than the colon resection last year, but I'm glad I had it done. It's not going to hurt forever, and there was more going on than just a hole in my gut lining. Plus it got a lot of scar tissue out of there that probably should have been gotten out.

i have studied hernias and there reccurence what a drag
    dear ancienttiger,

thankyou thankyou thankyou,

i had my head in the sand on this one, ignorance is bliss.

or i should say now ignorance was bliss.

the explanations here give me the surgical context
    http://www.journalofmas.com/article.asp?issn=0972-9941;year=2006;volume=2;issue=3;spage=151;epage=154;aulast=Klinge

glad i am having a pre emptive hernia repair.

i still have the utmost faith in my surgeon darren gold and the pre emptive hernia repair.

time will tell
    and time heals all wounds.

i will see!

yes the pain and issues so far seem worse than resection, strange.
    and so unexpected.

maybe the scar tissue is really good based on the article, have a read if your interested.

i have a biologically active pig mesh, yes now i really feel like the guinea pig,i am part pig.

ha ha
    hugs,
    pete
  • thanks kenny
    hi kenny and all my friends here,

the bag dimension has shaped who in am, it was not so bad. its strange but being disconnected for 7 months has meant i have been connected in a different way to most of the colorectal patients.

this week or two is a great time to chill and meditate. my temp is on the way up again, doing research immuno response pig mesh.

the hernia repair, the port out, the reversal the colonoscopy is alot of work. actually 2 hour was the op. gee i could do them all at once or come in individually.

the clear colonoscopy raised my confience, i was anxious over the result. these post op issues are the smallest bumps in the path to wellness.

the port of out, symbolises i am cured. so for today or this moment i am cancer free and alive. the feeling of relief and hope is honestly overwhelming.

now some will think the port removal premature, if your the positive thinking camp well its benefit mentally for me has been huge. soon i will be back to a life as undersea explorer ( i am an underwater photographer, its what i do, i dream about it and i cannot wait to get back too it)

when i hold my special wine glass in my hand it always appears the glass is half full. the illusion works so well for me, especially as i don't drink wine anymore.

thanks for the kind wishes,
    hugs,

pete

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • AncientTiger

i have studied hernias and there reccurence what a drag
    dear ancienttiger,

thankyou thankyou thankyou,

i had my head in the sand on this one, ignorance is bliss.

or i should say now ignorance was bliss.

the explanations here give me the surgical context
    http://www.journalofmas.com/article.asp?issn=0972-9941;year=2006;volume=2;issue=3;spage=151;epage=154;aulast=Klinge

glad i am having a pre emptive hernia repair.

i still have the utmost faith in my surgeon darren gold and the pre emptive hernia repair.

time will tell
    and time heals all wounds.

i will see!

yes the pain and issues so far seem worse than resection, strange.
    and so unexpected.

maybe the scar tissue is really good based on the article, have a read if your interested.

i have a biologically active pig mesh, yes now i really feel like the guinea pig,i am part pig.

ha ha
    hugs,
    pete

Oink?
    Oink, oinkity, oinki, oink-oink-oink?

And if you UNDERSTOOD that, then you should worry ;)

The mesh I had wasn't anything as dramatic... just good ole plastic mesh.
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

thanks gracie
    the blankets off while i was shivering and 39 degrees felt harsh, but it worked.
    pain actually getting worse.

swabs and blood tests for infection all negative, so the fevers and the pain are immuno response.

promise i will stop researching as soon as i stop having issues, at the moment undetanding my bodies reaction helps me have patience.

neuropathy getting worse, so maybe all my supplements have been helping. not on any supplements.

got thrush today as result of fridays anti biotics.

just been on slippery elm and probiotics.

hugs,
    pete
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    in agony, ever had a cigarette light lit inside you stoma.
    so another very interesting day in hospital.

in the morning i was going home, miss wife and kids.

my surgeon sent me for a ct to find out what went wrong.
    they found a sac of fluid near the stoma repair site.

asked radiographer if i could also have abdo checkd for met at the same time, no worries. no mets. happy news while in pain.

anyway then back to ct again, they with drew about 40 ml by ct guided suringe

got another canular and then antibiotics, may put in a drain tommorrow

still enjoying great care, good movies and food.

hugs
    pete
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member

in agony, ever had a cigarette light lit inside you stoma.
    so another very interesting day in hospital.

in the morning i was going home, miss wife and kids.

my surgeon sent me for a ct to find out what went wrong.
    they found a sac of fluid near the stoma repair site.

asked radiographer if i could also have abdo checkd for met at the same time, no worries. no mets. happy news while in pain.

anyway then back to ct again, they with drew about 40 ml by ct guided suringe

got another canular and then antibiotics, may put in a drain tommorrow

still enjoying great care, good movies and food.

hugs
    pete

Hope you get better tomorrow mate!
    Just patience , !
    Hugs!
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pepebcn said:

Just patience , !
    Hugs!

thanks pepe
    i am developing my patiece. i am trying to be a patient patient.

hugs
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pepebcn said:

Just patience , !
    Hugs!

thanks pepe
    i am developing my patiece. i am trying to be a patient patient.

hugs
  • michiel923
    michiel923 Member Posts: 1

hi pepe,
    thanks and goodluck

hi pepe,
    thanks and goodluck withwalking post, had yesterday off 39 temp all
    feeling a bit human.
    hugs,
    pete

Potty training girls is
    Potty training girls is generally considered easier than potty training boys, but that doesn't mean it's a piece of cake Thanks for sharing the informative post.
    Regards,
    Jack
  • BettyJoM
    BettyJoM Member Posts: 82

the quiet before the storm
    hi everyone.

So far so good. Touch wood(tapping my head)

The net on my phone is great. I stayed away from you guys as long as i could about a day.
    Been drifting in and out of sleep.

Been resting. Messaging. Had some visitors and calls.

Just got my first morphine injection. No pain now. But its not been to bad at all.
    Early days but no big reopen just all done through stoma hole.

Been patched up with collagen.

My port is gone. So is the bag.

The best news is the coloscopy was clear.

The nurses here all remembered me from october 2010. Been absolutely spoilt.
    Saint vincents in sydney seems to me to be staffed by angels.
    And mostly sexy angels at that.

Bp preop 120/82 postop 90/49 now its climbed over the arvo
    to 112/72. Interesting watching my body comeback to life.

Just had my first hit morphine and am about to try to walk.
    Ancienttiger you are right about the pain ouch!

Still no breeze in here. Waiting for a good breeze before i can go sailing.

Dinner smelt lovelly but i could not touch. Waiting for the wind to really pickup.
    Need a weather change downunder.

Yipee and thankyou god.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.
    Hugs
    pete

Thank God
    I kept reading, and reading all the way down, trying to see what your colonoscopy result was. Its wonderful news.
    Your posts are funny. Morphine is good stuff. Pete, hang in there, you'll be back in the water before you know it
    Hugs, Betty Jo
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    BettyJoM said:

Thank God
    I kept reading, and reading all the way down, trying to see what your colonoscopy result was. Its wonderful news.
    Your posts are funny. Morphine is good stuff. Pete, hang in there, you'll be back in the water before you know it
    Hugs, Betty Jo

hi betty jo
    guess what i have been having salt water baths everyday morning and night for at least a week.

tomorrow is two weeks after discharge.

hugs,
    pete
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    BettyJoM said:

Thank God
    Hugs, Betty Jo

hi betty jo
    guess what i have been having salt water baths everyday morning and night for at least a week.

tomorrow is two weeks after discharge. thanks for caring.

hugs,
    pete