What, If Anything, Have You Learned With Your Diagnosis Of Breast Cancer?

Options
2»

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

Who my true friends
    Who my true friends are!

Nancy

I learned that I can get
    I learned that I can get thru anything! And, I found out how much everyone, my husband, family, co workers and friends loved me and respected me. They really amazed me at their support, help and outpouring of love.

Jan
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    camul said:

Life throws us curves.
    I have learned I am stronger than I thought.
    Family is what is most important in my life.
    Laughing is so healthy!
    That some family and friends can cope with my illness better than others, but it doesn't mean that one loves me less than another.
    That adults say the stupidest things.
    That if I don't know what to say, less is more!
    That if my attitude is positive, my life is smoother. All in my perspective.
    When in pain, take a pain pill (I was afraid of getting addicted).
    Grieve my loss as needed, but keep it short!
    Vent when needed, but keep it short!
    Do as much as I can while I am able to.
    Prognosis is based on statistics, and I am not a statistic.
    Money makes life easier, but does not dictate who I am.
    Ask as many questions as it takes to be comfortable with treatments.
    Put my faith in God first, then the doctor.

This is what I have learned.
    ~Carol

From reading the posts, it
    From reading the posts, it seems that all of us have grown into stronger and more appreciative pink sisters.

To be diagnosed with bc makes us all appreciate the little things in life more and to really see who loves us.

My hubby showed me more than I could ever imagine how much he loves me. He has been with me for every appointment, and, would never miss a one.

My friends supported me and still do. Even if just thru a simple phone call to say hi, how are you doing.

Hugs, Leeza
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    I've learned
    First I've learned more about cancer than I thought there was to know. I learned what chemo was and how much it sucked. I learned how vain I really was when my hair fell out and the circles around my eyes became something a raccoon would covet.

I also learned I'm stronger than I could imagine. I learned that have have the best husband on the planet (I know from this site there's alot of those and I'm sure they're all OK sharing that title). I've learned to bask in his love and that of my two oldest grandkids (those who live with me). I learned that all three of them were strong as long as I was strong. I learned I have some of the best friends a woman could want.

I learned cancer is not a death sentence and the word should not be whispered, but shouted from the roof tops -- cause only by making noise about it, will there finally be a cure.

thanks.

marge
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    mollyz said:

I feel the same
    As Juanita76,i could not have said it any better.

I agree with Juanita. Life
    I agree with Juanita. Life is too short and it is to be enjoyed and that means to take every day and make it the best that you can.

And, I could never have been as strong as I was thru this without the love and support of my loving husband, family and friends. To them, I owe a huge debt.

Also, I learned that an internet site, this one, can get you thru anything with the help and encouragement of all of you.
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    short answer
    I learned a lot but the short answer is that I've learned how strong I am, who my true friends are, and how much I'm loved. With all the prayers and other support I made it through. This is not a journey I would have chosen for myself but I feel it was given to me for a reason and now I'm trying to help others on the road know that they can make it. I've learned how much a positive attitude can mean and how important a good medical team can be.
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My affirmation throughout
    My affirmation throughout the journey, said through clenched teeth at first: "I can hardly wait to see the good that will come of this."

1) I have more friends than I thought
    2) Asking for help is really hard, but people genuinely want to help
    3) My husband tries hard to be supportive but has no idea how; I must tell him
    4) I can tolerate a lot of pain over several days and be non-chalant about it
    5) My body is fragile yet strong, and mortal and needs care
    ~~Connie~~
  • mrs gadget
    mrs gadget Member Posts: 118
    Options
    lizzie17 said:

I share so many of everyone's thoughts
    Especially, you really find out who your friends are....and old, long-time friends seem to be the best. They are truly the gold.

And that family relationships.....(my half-sister and her adult children)....even though we never were very close, are nonexistent now. I have been "excommunicated".

That I am stronger than I ever dreamed I could be.

That I am more assertive and not the doormat I used to be, and people like that in me.

That with all the support around me, I still feel alone.

I know what you mean Lizzie
    I think this whole thing makes us stronger so that we can stand alone and be our own best advocate...Hope you continue to do well and stay strong!!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    crselby said:

My affirmation throughout
    My affirmation throughout the journey, said through clenched teeth at first: "I can hardly wait to see the good that will come of this."

1) I have more friends than I thought
    2) Asking for help is really hard, but people genuinely want to help
    3) My husband tries hard to be supportive but has no idea how; I must tell him
    4) I can tolerate a lot of pain over several days and be non-chalant about it
    5) My body is fragile yet strong, and mortal and needs care
    ~~Connie~~

I posted earlier but to add to:
    I have learned NOW to KNOW YOUR legal right for your job! KNOW what they can and can't do or say! What they can or can not allow. I FOUND OUT after the fact and I really got the raw deal!

Connie: asking for help is hard: funny since NOW when PEOPLE offer (since past 4 yrs or so) anything I say do YOU REALLY mean it since I NOW take people UP on their offers!

AND I HAVE!
  • cb13
    cb13 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    What I learned
    Hi, I'm new to this site and am sad I didn't discover it sooner. I will be 5 years cancer free in August. I've learned so much from the experience, its weird but I'm not sure I would trade it for anything. I learned so many things...how truly fragile life is. How hope and faith can lift and carry you when you've absolutely got nothing left. I've learned that despite my best efforts, I'm not--nor am I meant to be--Superwoman!! The hardest part I think, the absolutely most difficult, is the dealing with the aftermath; long after the surgeries, radiation and chemo are over, after people have stopped asking about how you're doing, when it's still on your mind and your heart. Dealing with the fact that my new normal will forever be different, wondering if I'll ever get back my sex drive, and finally over five years after my diagnosis, finally starting to feel like "I'm back".
  • pbrndm5
    pbrndm5 Member Posts: 83
    Options
    cb13 said:

What I learned
    Hi, I'm new to this site and am sad I didn't discover it sooner. I will be 5 years cancer free in August. I've learned so much from the experience, its weird but I'm not sure I would trade it for anything. I learned so many things...how truly fragile life is. How hope and faith can lift and carry you when you've absolutely got nothing left. I've learned that despite my best efforts, I'm not--nor am I meant to be--Superwoman!! The hardest part I think, the absolutely most difficult, is the dealing with the aftermath; long after the surgeries, radiation and chemo are over, after people have stopped asking about how you're doing, when it's still on your mind and your heart. Dealing with the fact that my new normal will forever be different, wondering if I'll ever get back my sex drive, and finally over five years after my diagnosis, finally starting to feel like "I'm back".

I learned
    More about cancer than I ever thought I would.
    That cancer is really an unknown and there are no right or wrong answers.
    I am a very strong women even though I have days when I feel weak and unpset.
    I have alot of support
    My daughter is my rock--very matter of fact--"just do it mom"
    Even though my hubby doesn't know how to say it-he truly loves me.Goes to all of my appts. with me (he's retired-so he can)
    Some people want to be supportive but don't know how
    Don't sweat the small stuff. In the whole picture, the small things don't matter.
    "Normal" now is very different than normal before BC.
    No 2 people are alike and even though you have the same type of cancer-you are very different
    This site is an "awesome"way to connect with our sisters.
    Can't wait until life gets back to normal--whatever that is