Stress Out .. Anxious -- waiting for my appointment, tomorrow, 2/14

Options
2»

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    [[[[vicki]]]]
    I wish I had words to make you feel better but I don't.

I think with the loss of so many recently it exacerbates our fears and our anxiety. I'm glad the guidelines have alleviated your fears somewhat.

Prayers for peace and a good report!

Keep us posted!

Don't forget your tagline ... strength and courage TO YOU, dear VickiSam! :) xo
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Eil4186 said:

Vicki, Most docs don't do
    Vicki, Most docs don't do MRIs as follow-up. I agree with you though, it seems that would be automatic. I am almost 5 years out and just graduated from 6mos visits to yearly. However, I still get yearly MRIs because my breast tissue is still very dense. The downside of this is I have had 3 biopsies in the last year or so because areas keep showing up. My last biopsy was august and I have to have another MRI next month to check the area.

Each time these areas turn out to be benign, but I have to go through a lot of stress and worry waiting for results. I guess it is good to be proactive though so if something bad develops we can get it right away. My onc says that I am low risk, its my radiologist doc that found my breast cancer that insists on the MRIs. But with dense tissue, things don't show up as well on Mamm or ultrasound. Talk with your doc, maybe he will agree to al least yearly scans. Try not to worry, it will all work out.

champion
    You are not only a survivor, but a real champion! No one should ever have to face three different cancers. It proves how strong you are and you'll get through this stressful time too. With your history, it does seem as though they'd want to keep a close watch. If for nothing more than peace of mind, I hope you get your MRI. Let us know. Best wishes.
    Marsha
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    Options
    keep your spirit
    and one thing to consider is your health insurance.....I was told by my oncologist that my coverage does not include "surveillance" maintenance....which I think is totally wrong.
    Hugs to you and I hope he/she orders the MRI for you.
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Vicki Sam
    I will think of you, and you can think of me. My PET scan it tomorrow.

So we're in this together but I have to say, I am very calm. I expect only
    good things. If I am wrong, then I will deal with it then. I feel like I got
    a bonus, some added years to my life and I'll be damned if I waste my
    time over this (:

So I'll be holding your hand, let's walk in there with our heads high and
    confidence in our hearts. We gonna be ok sister!!

Love
    Ayse
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    Somehow, appointments on
    Somehow, appointments on Mondays are the hardest for me. It has something to do with waiting through the weekend. I'll send some good thoughts for peace, and that everything goes well with the doc visit tomorrow.

Hugs,

Linda
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    lizzie17 said:

keep your spirit
    and one thing to consider is your health insurance.....I was told by my oncologist that my coverage does not include "surveillance" maintenance....which I think is totally wrong.
    Hugs to you and I hope he/she orders the MRI for you.

Push, push, push for the MRI
    My surgeon also said--no follow-up testing necessary. But, Hey--I'm Stage 3C--are you kidding me?!! I can't be sure everything is okay--especially since I have incredibly dense breast tissue and my cancer was NOT seen on mammo. So, I got the MRI, mammo and ultrasound in December. The report stated--an area seen which is "probably not cancer but due to post-op changes" so repeat in 6 months recommended. I'm cool with that--I'll have it redone in May and if the changes are the same--then in my mind, I'm okay.

I love my surgeon, but I'm sorry--they just don't get it--we need reassurance--we need to feel okay.

Good luck-VickiSam--you are not wrong for wanting as much testing as you can get. I'm pulling for you, girlfriend.

Hugs, Renee
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    With your very unique
    With your very unique history of thyroid, cervical and breast cancers, I don't blame you at all for being overzealous. I am first and foremost a believer of trust your gut--if you believe you need an MRI, keep pushing--and don't forget to stress that you have had 3 separate cancers not just breast. My prayers are with you my friend. And I'll be there with you holding your hand and supplying lattes.

Don't forget to join me on Tuesday as that is when I see my oncologist and I will be freaking out then ;-)
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Somehow, appointments on
    Somehow, appointments on Mondays are the hardest for me. It has something to do with waiting through the weekend. I'll send some good thoughts for peace, and that everything goes well with the doc visit tomorrow.

Hugs,

Linda

vickie Sam good luck
    vickie Sam good luck tomorrow. Honestly I have gone to my visits religiously over the years and seem to find my own cancer's anyway. I just dont like the reminder of being there! I dont get scans and never did unless sympotomatic. or for staging. I have mostly had bone scans for persistent pain that have been negative. I prefer
    chen's Ostrich therapy as far as tests go. dont want them. but prob because I go out of my mind with the anxiety. I do trust my onc, he does advocate for me, and has insisted on furthur bipsies etc.. over the years. I also firmly believe in the MRI/mammo combo. The cancer I had was not found on mammo, not palpable until it was large. (lobular) and would have been found on MRI. I wonder if its because lobular is less common, but its not uncommon when it happens to you is it? I was just told it was not standard. anyway we will be with you Vs as you hae always stood by us. Hugs!!!!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

With your very unique
    With your very unique history of thyroid, cervical and breast cancers, I don't blame you at all for being overzealous. I am first and foremost a believer of trust your gut--if you believe you need an MRI, keep pushing--and don't forget to stress that you have had 3 separate cancers not just breast. My prayers are with you my friend. And I'll be there with you holding your hand and supplying lattes.

Don't forget to join me on Tuesday as that is when I see my oncologist and I will be freaking out then ;-)

Cypress Cynthia .. aka C.C. and Ayse ..
    I will be keeping both of you TWO, in good thoughts and prayers. I will be holding your hands, and offering comfort -- as this is a very anxious period for the 3 of us.

Monday .. Ayse and Vicki (my appointment is 9:45), and on Tuesday - Miss C.C.

Hoping we are smiling and at ease, by Wednesday.

Good thoughts, good health .. and prayers for us all.

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options

Check out NCCN Guidelines
    Vicki-

I don't get MRIs either. I was Stage 1, Gr 2, ER/PR+, HER2-. I kept seeing women on this board having CTs and MRIs and tumor markers so it worried me why I wasn't having them. I feel better after following the very comprehensive flow chart in the NCCN Guidelines.

http://www.nccn.org/index.asp You have to register, but don't need to be a physician to view the guidelines.

Doesn't mean you still shouldn't ask your oncologist, but it might make you feel better.

Suzanne

OK, I can't find anything
    OK, I can't find anything about tumor markers in those guidelines??? I went to breast cancer, invasive. Is that info somewhere else in the site? I must be looking in the wrong place...lol. Thanks for the link though as I found the flow charts very helpful.

I did find info about markers on ASCO's site:
    Recommendations for the Use of Tumor Markers in Breast Cancer

I had a recurrence after a long remission (22 years). My oncologist drew markers just to see if they had changed from years ago and they were, for the first time since initial diagnosis, very elevated. A rib biopsy confirmed that the recurrence was the same ER+ breast cancer that I had had so many years before. I am grateful that my onc thought outside of the box and drew my markers as they were helpful in my weird case.

As far as Vicki Sam and her having an MRI, there will probably be nothing on any site specific to someone who has a history of 3 separate cancers. I think, in her case, extra-vigilance is appropriate, but I can't pretend to know for sure as babies are my specialty ;-)
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    As you have heard, many of
    As you have heard, many of us have not had post treatment MRIs or PetScans. I am THREE years out this month (and have my oncology appointment on Wednesday) and I haven't had either. I did have a bone scan two years ago because of back and shoulder pain. This came up negative. I know when I was first out of treatment I felt very strongly that I wanted more monitoring. I feel less so now. Not to say that the anxiety completely away...it rears its ugly head for me especially ferocious right around appointment times. So remember to breathe...ahhhhhhh.....and best wishes for an uneventful checkup! xoxoxoxoLynn
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    I'm praying for you Vicki
    that all will be GOOD news!

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Cypress Cynthia .. aka C.C. and Ayse ..
    I will be keeping both of you TWO, in good thoughts and prayers. I will be holding your hands, and offering comfort -- as this is a very anxious period for the 3 of us.

Monday .. Ayse and Vicki (my appointment is 9:45), and on Tuesday - Miss C.C.

Hoping we are smiling and at ease, by Wednesday.

Good thoughts, good health .. and prayers for us all.

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam

I'll be with all of you!
    I will be with all of you this week! I will have my hubby drop me off at each location, so, I can get in and hold your hand and calm you somewhat. So, if you hear someone yelling..hang on I am coming. It would be me! :)

And later, we will all celebrate good news for each and every one of you! I won't accept anything else!

Sue ;)
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    sea60 said:

I'm praying for you Vicki
    that all will be GOOD news!

Hugs,

Sylvia

Wishing you good luck
    Vicki,
    Wishing you a good luck tomorrow. Sending positive thoughts to your way.
    Hugs,
    New Flower
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    Supportive Hugs Coming Your Way!
    Hi Vicki, it seems the norm is not to do an MRI/CT/PET scan unless there seems to be a problem. Way back when my mom first had cancer (1974)they routinely did a bone scan and a ct scan yearly. In 1998 it was pretty much the same thing, you had treatment followed by a scan then a yearly scan there after that has since changed. When my cancer returned in 2007 my doctor explained that scans are only given if we the patient have a valid concern that would warrant a scan. He explained to me that too many scans were being done and nothing was being found because the patient had no current issues. As the patient I feel like I always have issues but alas they do not warrant a scan. I sincerely hope you have a good review with your oncologist and that you get the all clear. You will be in my thoughts and prayers!

♥ RE ♥
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    RE said:

Supportive Hugs Coming Your Way!
    Hi Vicki, it seems the norm is not to do an MRI/CT/PET scan unless there seems to be a problem. Way back when my mom first had cancer (1974)they routinely did a bone scan and a ct scan yearly. In 1998 it was pretty much the same thing, you had treatment followed by a scan then a yearly scan there after that has since changed. When my cancer returned in 2007 my doctor explained that scans are only given if we the patient have a valid concern that would warrant a scan. He explained to me that too many scans were being done and nothing was being found because the patient had no current issues. As the patient I feel like I always have issues but alas they do not warrant a scan. I sincerely hope you have a good review with your oncologist and that you get the all clear. You will be in my thoughts and prayers!

♥ RE ♥

Thank You all so very much! My Sisters in Pink
    your offering of positive thoughts and prayers -- means so very much! They worked, as I slept for the first time in 3 nights.

Thank you all so much ..

I will post again when I return.

Vicki Sam
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Vicki and Ayse
    I will also be sending positive vibes your way for non-eventful appointments. Let us know your positive news when you can. Thinking of you both.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    vicki sam:
    Sorr you are anxious! I am odd duck out for some reason..( I Really think I should ask therapist why) I do not get anxious at all...not having tests, biopsies or mammo etc...from reading I AM THE unusual one.

I just had urgent appt for bleeding (post menopause)for biopsies-when dr called 5 days later I kind of forgot I was waiting for results.

MAYBE I do need my head examined...

I HOPE YOU get an MRI or whatever you want...I"LL be thinking of you...

Denise W
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Options
    Hang in there VickiSam
    I'm pulling for you sister!! I'm with you on the MRI/Scans, it gives a sense of comfort knowing the tests are thorough versus just a blood panel. Blood panels do tell a lot so if it comes back suspicious they will probably order a scan. My tumor markers are worthless, they were normal with both my cancer occurrences so I don't rely on those, my onc goes right for the scan. Whatever it takes to give you peace of mind, I would request it and you have the right idea, if you don't get it, get a new doc. Keep us posted :)
    Mountains of LOVE,
    ~Kari