Mmmm what about fav books?

Options
2»

Comments

• Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Options
    Thanks everybody :)
    Making a list. Remembering some of the books I read awhile back. Patricia Cornwall? She used to be a fav. Been so long ago shes probably retired or dead by now. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Making me a list.
    Ima thinking at the end of Feb or March were going to delete the tv all together. Will miss my old movies on tcm. Will read classics instead.Katz
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    Katz77 said:

Thanks everybody :)
    Making a list. Remembering some of the books I read awhile back. Patricia Cornwall? She used to be a fav. Been so long ago shes probably retired or dead by now. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Making me a list.
    Ima thinking at the end of Feb or March were going to delete the tv all together. Will miss my old movies on tcm. Will read classics instead.Katz

Katz--I like Patricia Cornwall too
    And, she does have a couple of recent books out.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Stef,
    My favorite book from (Jr) high was Mrs Mike - anybody ever read it? Also, a few I read with my daughter when she was in school - we were in the mother/daughter book club - I Am The Iceworm, and Nory Ryan, really good reading.

Sue

Sue, I also read books with
    Sue, I also read books with my daughter when she was in high school. Not exactly a book club but her teacher felt that when the parent and student each read the book they could discuss them and see how similar their evaluation and interpretation was. The student would then write a paper reflecting each of those opinions. She is the reason that I reread books by Bronte and Austin and seeing them through her eyes I found new enjoyment with them. She and I and her grandmother also read all of the books by Marion Bradley Zimmerman (hope I remembered the name correctly). I really loved her books.
    It's funny when you start seeing the books and authors others have written about, you go I remember that book or author. Does anyone else like Edgar Allen Poe? I do. Oh and mythology, Greek, Roman, Norse, Irish, I love it all.
    This is fun and I think I will have to dig out some old books or take a trip to the library soon. Books are so wonderful. We buy lots of books for Jazzton and Jo. Classics from my children and new ones that have come out. They love having books read to them and JJ is really starting to read Dr. Suess's on his own. He even reads or tells the stories to Jo. So cute.
    Stef
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    I just finished Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter
    by Tom Franklin. Very good. I also picked up 'I'd know you anywhere' by Laura Lippman. Even better.

More suggestions, please!

Sue
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    I read
    quite a variety of books. I love John Grisham and Mary Higgins Clark. For Christmas I was given "Hoda Kotb" (she's on NBC? or ABC with Kathie Lee Gifford). The book is delightful and easy reading.
    Char
  • Survivor73
    Survivor73 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

I read
    quite a variety of books. I love John Grisham and Mary Higgins Clark. For Christmas I was given "Hoda Kotb" (she's on NBC? or ABC with Kathie Lee Gifford). The book is delightful and easy reading.
    Char

I love romance novels
    so, I love any books by Nora Roberts - they are true romances...some have magic type themes that I like.

She also writes under the name of JD Robb...it's a really long series about a futuristic cop who marries a multi billionaire...there is always a murder and she always gets the guy...but the stories are good.

I started a really easy reading series a while ago - it's about vampires and it's probably more like a teen series...it's called the house of night series by PC and Kristen Cast.
    I just bought the 7th book...of course you have to like vampire stuff..lol.

I usually read anything that's either mystery or romance...although I haven't had time to read in the last year or so...hoping to change that while I'm home recuperating.
  • Jennifer1961
    Jennifer1961 Member Posts: 137
    Options
    While in treatment I read a
    While in treatment I read a lot of the "Shopaholic" books. Pretty entertaining, light, do deep thought involved.
  • Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Dee said:

book escapism :)
    I have just finished "Room" by Emma Donoghue and it was so good! An easy read but takes you completly into another world!

Its written from the perspective of a 5 year old boy and his Mum is amazing...well worth a read!

Dee :)

Room
    Loved that one too! So good.

Also liked:

The Help
    Sarah's Key
    Secret Daughter
    The Stieg Larsson trilogy (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc...)
    The Thirteenth Tale

Clementine
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I have several that I
    I have several that I enjoyed reading. Here are some of them:

The Alchemist
    Crime & Punishment
    The Grapes of Wrath
    This Much I Know
    A Fine Balance( Outstanding,Memorable... but heavy)

There are so many good books out there! I also like Ephron books. She is hysterical!
    BL
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    The Famished Road by Ben

The Famished Road by Ben Okri - the style is magical realism.Or anything by him, he is a favourite author of mine but not all of his books are magical realism.

Then there is A River Sutra by Gita Mehta - very flowing with stories within stories but not confusing at all.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options

I agree on the James
    I agree on the James Patterson books - always easy reads & get drawn into them right away, especially the Alex Cross ones. I also really like Patricia Cornwell's books, good thriller/mysteries. Hands down, though, my favorite easy, fun to read books have been the Southern vampire series by Charlaine Harris, the books that the True Blood hbo series is based on. Also anything by David Sedaris, he is hilarious & his books draw you right in. I'm a HUUUGGEE reader, right now I'm reading One Fifth Avenue by Candace Bushnell, the Sex & The City author. Fun book so far. This is a good thread, thanks for starting it!
    *hugs*
    Heather

Love James Patterson books
    Love James Patterson books too!
  • Findingout
    Findingout Member Posts: 132
    Options

The Famished Road by Ben

The Famished Road by Ben Okri - the style is magical realism.Or anything by him, he is a favourite author of mine but not all of his books are magical realism.

Then there is A River Sutra by Gita Mehta - very flowing with stories within stories but not confusing at all.

I read these two incredible
    I read these two incredible books years ago by the same author, one called Rembrandt, the other David the King. Both historical novels. The author was a woman and I always have trouble with her name, G Schmidt?? Schmitt? (g for... ??)
    They are stunning, amazing portraits of the painter & David.
    They can be found in larger libraries.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

Room
    Loved that one too! So good.

Also liked:

The Help
    Sarah's Key
    Secret Daughter
    The Stieg Larsson trilogy (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc...)
    The Thirteenth Tale

Clementine

Loved secret daughter!
    Jan

Loved secret daughter!

Jan
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion
    I have another suggestion... "Water for Elephants". That was a Great read!

I want to read "The Help". I am waiting for it to go to paperback before buying it. I saw the hardback at Costco. Oh, by the way, Costco has a great selection of books and great prices as well.

Happy reading!

BL

PS I am reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns". So far so good!
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options

Another suggestion
    I have another suggestion... "Water for Elephants". That was a Great read!

I want to read "The Help". I am waiting for it to go to paperback before buying it. I saw the hardback at Costco. Oh, by the way, Costco has a great selection of books and great prices as well.

Happy reading!

BL

PS I am reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns". So far so good!

Just finished Life's That
    Just finished Life's That Way by Jim Beaver. Very good.
    Saving Henry was also good.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

I just finished Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter
    by Tom Franklin. Very good. I also picked up 'I'd know you anywhere' by Laura Lippman. Even better.

More suggestions, please!

Sue

OK, I'm getting "I'd know
    OK, I'm getting "I'd know you anywhere" today. Just finished "Swamplania!" and "Little Bee" and enjoyed them both. As you can tell, I am a rather compulsive reader as it truly relaxes me and helps me to wind down in the evening.

"Swamplandia!" is about a dysfunctional family living on an island trying to sustain their shabby little Florida theme park (gator wrestling, etc). The book is a wild ride which includes elements of magical realism. Crazy page turner--I don't want to give anything away--just read it!

"Little Bee" is about a Nigerian refugee in London trying to escape a brutal past and also about a British woman and her son who are connected to Little Bee by a past Nigerian encounter. Sad but well done.
  • MNLynn
    MNLynn Member Posts: 224
    Options
    do you like animals?
    My friend sent the book "Soul of a Dog" by Jon Katz to me when I was home after my surgery - loved it!