Mmmm what about fav books?

Options
Katz77
Katz77 Member Posts: 598
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Any suggestions? Havent read a nice easy, relaxing book. No "how to books", or "educational" for me right now. Been doing that for the last yr and a half. Lol

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    Tolkien!
    I'm a huge J.R.R. Tolkien fan and whenever life gets overwhelming, I love getting lost in The Lord of the Rings.

Yeah, I'm one of those geeks who reads the trilogy every year! :)
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    katz77 - A great read is
    katz77 - A great read is Laura Hilldenbrand's "Seabiscuit." I loved that book. It was well-written, historical and a great read! Loved it!
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    It would have to be
    hands down WAR AND PEACE!!

More recent faves: Crow Lake, Anthill - never knew the cycle of an ants life was so eventful.

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    aysemari said:

It would have to be
    hands down WAR AND PEACE!!

More recent faves: Crow Lake, Anthill - never knew the cycle of an ants life was so eventful.

Hugs,
    Ayse

Anything by James Patterson,
    Anything by James Patterson, Cross Fire was a good book. I also like Elin Hildebrand
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    meena1 said:

Anything by James Patterson, Cross Fire was a good book. I also like Elin Hildebrand

The Hunger Games by Suzanne
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is soooooooooo entertaining...read all three books in a week cause I couldn't put them down

Love The Help by Kathrynn Stockett

Started the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon ...pretty good so far

I read the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo series...good stories but heavy...not light entertainment..

Dee
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Any.......
    Any Dean Koontz book! He is probably my favorite author right now. My biggest problem is that my eyes have gotten worse and I can only read small print for a few minutes. BUT, if I can find books in large print, yay!

Now, having said that, I had a favorite book when I was a child. (you know, back when dirt was young). I doubt anyone has ever heard of it, but I LOVED it. It is called "Peanuts the Pony".
    My Mother took me to the library and I took that book out. And then I refused to give it back! I cried and cried and hugged the book, and hid the book. Finally, my Mother went to the library and was able to buy the book for me.

A few years ago, I was thinking about that book, and how I had loved it so....that I wished I had it to read to my Grandkids.
    My daughter, unbeknownst to me, looked for the book, but it was so old and it was an unknown..not a classic children's book. But, she finally found a copy on ebay (worn and dog eared)and she bought it and gave it to me. She is incredible!

I'll bet you didn't know that I would write a book in answering your post...lol!

CR
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I agree on the James
    I agree on the James Patterson books - always easy reads & get drawn into them right away, especially the Alex Cross ones. I also really like Patricia Cornwell's books, good thriller/mysteries. Hands down, though, my favorite easy, fun to read books have been the Southern vampire series by Charlaine Harris, the books that the True Blood hbo series is based on. Also anything by David Sedaris, he is hilarious & his books draw you right in. I'm a HUUUGGEE reader, right now I'm reading One Fifth Avenue by Candace Bushnell, the Sex & The City author. Fun book so far. This is a good thread, thanks for starting it!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Options
    Janet Evonovich's Stephany
    Janet Evonovich's Stephany Plum Series. They are so awesome!! They are laugh out loud, on the seat of your pants awesome.
    Happy Reading,
    ~Kari
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options

Janet Evonovich's Stephany
    Janet Evonovich's Stephany Plum Series. They are so awesome!! They are laugh out loud, on the seat of your pants awesome.
    Happy Reading,
    ~Kari

Big reader here--
    The Good Earth, by Pearl S. Buck
    Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat
    The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan
    She's Come Undone, by Wally Lamb
    The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath
    Songs in Ordinary Time, by Mary McGarry Morris

Anything by: Maya Angelou, Nelson DeMille, Robin Cook

Hugs, Renee
  • JudyB-1
    JudyB-1 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Twilight
    I went to one of my first scans readingMarley and Me and being a dog lover was crying at a part of the book. I went home to my son and said there is no way I can read this book; they will all think I am depressed. So, he suggested the Twilight series. He was 13 at the time and said all the girls in his class were crazy about them. I started to read it and I have been hooked, 3 times through the series, since January 2009. I highly recommend them; they are like comfort food to me and maybe you would feel the same!!! Good luck!
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    A Great Book
    Have you ever read The Help by Katherine Stockett? Marley & Me by John Grogan?
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options

A Great Book
    Have you ever read The Help by Katherine Stockett? Marley & Me by John Grogan?

Loved them both,
    Jessiesmom!
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    **** Frances
    **** Frances mysteries

Inglis Fletcher's Albermarle Series (from the '60's and 70's) and there's another series but can't thinnk of the name of it

North and South Trilogy

Ben Hur by Gen Lew Wallace

Dr. Zhvago (sp?)
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Options
    missrenee said:

Big reader here--
    The Good Earth, by Pearl S. Buck
    Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat
    The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan
    She's Come Undone, by Wally Lamb
    The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath
    Songs in Ordinary Time, by Mary McGarry Morris

Anything by: Maya Angelou, Nelson DeMille, Robin Cook

Hugs, Renee

You mentioned Maya Angelou. I read I know why the cage bird sings around the 7th grade. I had so much in command with her. Still have the orginal book. My eldest daughter bought a new one for me few yrs back. I was homeless wondering the streets of LA at 14, meet my husband at 16 and been with him every since.33 yrs, 3 kids, 2 gra.d kids. Meet him hitch hiking. Lol
  • Dee
    Dee Member Posts: 40
    Options
    book escapism :)
    I have just finished "Room" by Emma Donoghue and it was so good! An easy read but takes you completly into another world!

Its written from the perspective of a 5 year old boy and his Mum is amazing...well worth a read!

Dee :)
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Used to be an avid reader,
    but the last 3 years, daughters wedding, changing jobs, moving and bc put reading on the back burner. I have put in an order at the library so I'll catch up.

I love Sue Graftons alphabet series, but it takes so long for the next book - I think that will be 'V'. Also, Mary Burnett Smith's 'Miss Ophelia' and years ago I read 'The Mirror' don't know the author, but it's about a young woman who, through an antique mirror, switched lives with her grandmother. Nothing exceptional, but it just stuck with me - ya know? And I've read Maggie Osborne's 'Silver Lining' a dozen times.

Loved Dickens & Shakespear, Stephen King & Dean Koontz and for fun - Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Many more, but my foggy memory is blocking the list.

Hugs,

Sue
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Dee said:

book escapism :)
    I have just finished "Room" by Emma Donoghue and it was so good! An easy read but takes you completly into another world!

Its written from the perspective of a 5 year old boy and his Mum is amazing...well worth a read!

Dee :)

Big reader here too.
    Big reader here too. Reading is the only way that I can go to sleep. I'm a kindleholic...lol.

I really enjoyed "Room" also--it was so amazing how Donoghue wrote it spot on in a child's perspective. And even though it was a grizzly, terrifying subject, the strength and beauty of mother and child kept me reading.

Here are some others that I enjoyed recently:

The Hangman's Daughter by Potzsch
    The Way the Crow Flies by MacDonald
    Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Franklin
    The Swan Thieves by Kostova
    The Shadow of the Wind by Ruiz Zafon
    Kings of the Earth by Clinch
    Girl in Translation by Kwok
    My Name is Mary Sutter by Oliveria
    Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Ford
    Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Simonson
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Used to be an avid reader,
    but the last 3 years, daughters wedding, changing jobs, moving and bc put reading on the back burner. I have put in an order at the library so I'll catch up.

I love Sue Graftons alphabet series, but it takes so long for the next book - I think that will be 'V'. Also, Mary Burnett Smith's 'Miss Ophelia' and years ago I read 'The Mirror' don't know the author, but it's about a young woman who, through an antique mirror, switched lives with her grandmother. Nothing exceptional, but it just stuck with me - ya know? And I've read Maggie Osborne's 'Silver Lining' a dozen times.

Loved Dickens & Shakespear, Stephen King & Dean Koontz and for fun - Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Many more, but my foggy memory is blocking the list.

Hugs,

Sue

I enjoy James Patterson,
    I enjoy James Patterson, Charles Dickens, the Brontes, Jane Austin, Stephen King, Mary Higgins Clark, Steinbeck, Hemingway, and almost every book I ever had to read in high school that I hated then but love now. LOL But one of my all time favorites and the movie is also is To Kill A Mockingbird. Love learning about our different and same tastes in movies and books. Fun to share.
    Stef
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    fauxma said:

I enjoy James Patterson,
    I enjoy James Patterson, Charles Dickens, the Brontes, Jane Austin, Stephen King, Mary Higgins Clark, Steinbeck, Hemingway, and almost every book I ever had to read in high school that I hated then but love now. LOL But one of my all time favorites and the movie is also is To Kill A Mockingbird. Love learning about our different and same tastes in movies and books. Fun to share.
    Stef

Stef,
    My favorite book from (Jr) high was Mrs Mike - anybody ever read it? Also, a few I read with my daughter when she was in school - we were in the mother/daughter book club - I Am The Iceworm, and Nory Ryan, really good reading.

Sue
  • bjmom1
    bjmom1 Member Posts: 152
    Options
    meena1 said:

James Patterson fan
    Meena I knew we had alot in common. (LOL)

Barb