How was your breast cancer found and what treatments have you had?

Options
2»

Comments

• aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    By MOI!
    Hi,

I was having a lot health problems all of a sudden, had never been sick before.
    Healthy as can be prior to that. I was on antibiotics all the time. I kept getting
    Sinus infections that led to lung infections... I was miserable, so worn out.

Then I felt the lump and it grew really fast, and it was not moving anymore
    as it did before. I had a GYN appointment coming up, and for once I decided
    to keep my appointment. I showed her the lump, and at that time I had no idea
    that she once had breast cancer herself, she lost no time. I was diagnosed on 11/23/09
    and within a week had my lumpectomy, then my pathology report showed that I was
    HER 2 positive so chemo was recommended. Had to have a second lumpectomy,
    no clear margins. After chemo I decided to get a mastectomy instead of radiation.

So here I am nearing the end of my treatments and I am thrilled waiting till I can say
    I AM DONE!!

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    new2me said:

Mine was discovered at my annual mammo 4/10
    then had ultra sound 1 week later, then biopsy week after that. Confirmed it was IDC - HER2+ stage 2 - 15 lymph nodes removed, only 2 were cancerous. Lumpectomy 5/10 - chemo began 6/10 - finished 10/1/10 - started radiation 1/17/11.

Mammogram showed something
    Mammogram showed something suspicious, so, I was sent for a core needle biopsy. It verified that I had bc. Had a lumpectomy followed by 7 weeks of radiation treatments.

Lex
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    aysemari said:

By MOI!
    Hi,

I was having a lot health problems all of a sudden, had never been sick before.
    Healthy as can be prior to that. I was on antibiotics all the time. I kept getting
    Sinus infections that led to lung infections... I was miserable, so worn out.

Then I felt the lump and it grew really fast, and it was not moving anymore
    as it did before. I had a GYN appointment coming up, and for once I decided
    to keep my appointment. I showed her the lump, and at that time I had no idea
    that she once had breast cancer herself, she lost no time. I was diagnosed on 11/23/09
    and within a week had my lumpectomy, then my pathology report showed that I was
    HER 2 positive so chemo was recommended. Had to have a second lumpectomy,
    no clear margins. After chemo I decided to get a mastectomy instead of radiation.

So here I am nearing the end of my treatments and I am thrilled waiting till I can say
    I AM DONE!!

Hugs,
    Ayse

in the shower
    One morning in the shower, I felt a small lump (pea size), thought perhaps a swollen gland. Chose not to take any action but to watch it closely. For a few days, I didn't notice much change but all of a sudden I rolled over in bed and "OUCH!". It had more than quadrupled in size. I was scared and still for a few days decided to wait and see. Finally I called one breast center asking to schedule a mammogram, but they said not without a referral. So I called the other breast center, they actually had me talk to a nurse and she got me in the very next day (2-10-10). Immediately following the mammo, they did an ultra sound and 2 needle biopsies. The next day the doctor phoned confirming breast cancer. He then had me talk to someone who set me up for an MRI, and consultations with a surgeon and oncologist. I saw a nurse practitioner, had other tests including a Pet Scan (since the MRI identified suspicious spots in my liver). Complete diagnosis was Stage IV Lobular Breast Cancer (one tumor was over 6cm, the other was 4cm) with metastasis' to the liver, bones, and skin. From the pea sized lump to final diagnosis was only about 6 weeks. Had my port implanted on February 25 and started Chemo on 2-26. All agreed that due to the extent of the disease, no surgery was warranted. So, the only treatment I've had is 46 weekly rounds of chemo (Taxol, Taxotere, and now Navalbine) plus Herceptin. I've also received Zometa once every 4 weeks. This has been a roller coaster ride with highs and lows, but I'm about to reach my 1 year anniversry since being diagnosed - and that is hard to believe!
    Marsha
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I found the lump myself. I
    I found the lump myself. I do pretty regular self exams on a monthly or so basis, all of a sudden there was a large (almost the size of an egg) lump on the bottom of my right breast. Had mammogram, ultrasound, biopsy, diagnosed with IDC. Stage 2. Had bilateral mastectomy with sentinal node biopsy -no node involvement. I had expanders put in at the same time as my mastectomy. 4 rounds of AC followed by 2 rounds of Taxotere, every 2 weeks, and on the opposite week of chemo I got fills on my expanders. I had my exchange surgery in November, next week I get my nipples made, and once those are all healed up I'm getting my nipples tattooed.
    My mom's was found on her yearly mammogram - 2 months after I was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had lumpectomy with sentinal node biopsy - 1 node had cancer in it, I can't remember how many they removed in all, 12 maybe? She also had 4 rounds of AC, 2 rounds of Taxotere, just finished chemo up 3 or so weeks ago & she's having her 1st radiation treatment next Friday.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668
    Options

in the shower
    One morning in the shower, I felt a small lump (pea size), thought perhaps a swollen gland. Chose not to take any action but to watch it closely. For a few days, I didn't notice much change but all of a sudden I rolled over in bed and "OUCH!". It had more than quadrupled in size. I was scared and still for a few days decided to wait and see. Finally I called one breast center asking to schedule a mammogram, but they said not without a referral. So I called the other breast center, they actually had me talk to a nurse and she got me in the very next day (2-10-10). Immediately following the mammo, they did an ultra sound and 2 needle biopsies. The next day the doctor phoned confirming breast cancer. He then had me talk to someone who set me up for an MRI, and consultations with a surgeon and oncologist. I saw a nurse practitioner, had other tests including a Pet Scan (since the MRI identified suspicious spots in my liver). Complete diagnosis was Stage IV Lobular Breast Cancer (one tumor was over 6cm, the other was 4cm) with metastasis' to the liver, bones, and skin. From the pea sized lump to final diagnosis was only about 6 weeks. Had my port implanted on February 25 and started Chemo on 2-26. All agreed that due to the extent of the disease, no surgery was warranted. So, the only treatment I've had is 46 weekly rounds of chemo (Taxol, Taxotere, and now Navalbine) plus Herceptin. I've also received Zometa once every 4 weeks. This has been a roller coaster ride with highs and lows, but I'm about to reach my 1 year anniversry since being diagnosed - and that is hard to believe!
    Marsha

Noticed a red spot
    I noticed a red spot on my left breast at the six o'clock positiion. Within 12 hours it had spread to the 9:00 position. I immediately jumped on the bathroom counter to see if I could find a bite mark or anything to make sense of this. I couldn't find anything. I called my doctor, and saw him 4 days later ( he wanted me to come in that day, but I'm a nurse and had no coverage). In the meantime, my breast became engorged, inflammed, and very sore. My doctor sent me for a diagnostic mammogram 2 days later, they immediately did 30 core biopsies and I pretty much knew when the radiologist gave up his lunch break to do the biopsy that I had cancer. I found out over the phone on November 17, 2010 that all of my biopsies came back cancerous, and was formally diagnosed with IBC 2 days before Thanksgiving. I'm currently going through chemo ( TAC) and this past Thursday made it to the halfway mark. I will have surgery approximately 2 weeks after chemo, then it's off to rads, then a new boob for me :)

Dawne
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

Noticed a red spot
    I noticed a red spot on my left breast at the six o'clock positiion. Within 12 hours it had spread to the 9:00 position. I immediately jumped on the bathroom counter to see if I could find a bite mark or anything to make sense of this. I couldn't find anything. I called my doctor, and saw him 4 days later ( he wanted me to come in that day, but I'm a nurse and had no coverage). In the meantime, my breast became engorged, inflammed, and very sore. My doctor sent me for a diagnostic mammogram 2 days later, they immediately did 30 core biopsies and I pretty much knew when the radiologist gave up his lunch break to do the biopsy that I had cancer. I found out over the phone on November 17, 2010 that all of my biopsies came back cancerous, and was formally diagnosed with IBC 2 days before Thanksgiving. I'm currently going through chemo ( TAC) and this past Thursday made it to the halfway mark. I will have surgery approximately 2 weeks after chemo, then it's off to rads, then a new boob for me :)

Dawne

Mammogram
    My breast cancer was detected on a mammogram. I was sent for an ultra sound guided core needle biopsy which determined it was breast cancer. They also inserted the titanium chip to mark where the tumor was at the same time.

I had a lumpectomy and had radiation treatments. My oncologist recommended that I take Tamoxifen, but, I chose not to.

So, that's my story and I am sticking to it. lol

Sue :)
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Options
    Myself
    Not to be gross, but I was getting ready for bed and was nekked and sitting on the john. I remembered about self-exams and decided to do one and guess what? Mom was visiting and went out to her and asked her if she could feel the lump, she did. That was on a Saturday night in late September 2008. On Monday went to see my PCP who referred me for the mammogram. He showed me the results immediately and went back to PCP who referred me next to the surgeon. One week to the day later I was in for a core biopsy and the following Monday was given my diagnosis. On October 13th I was in the hospital for a lumpectomy, took 2 weeks from work and then went back for the port to be put in and on 11/6 started 6 rounds of chemo, followed by 36 rads. I am no longer in treatment and as it was triple negative, on no medication. So from diagnosis to surgery was just a little over 2 weeks. The Oncotype DX test shows it has a high level of return, so I check my good one and my poor little funny shaped one every day.

Cyber Hugs - Pat
  • beetle25
    beetle25 Member Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    padee6339 said:

Myself
    Not to be gross, but I was getting ready for bed and was nekked and sitting on the john. I remembered about self-exams and decided to do one and guess what? Mom was visiting and went out to her and asked her if she could feel the lump, she did. That was on a Saturday night in late September 2008. On Monday went to see my PCP who referred me for the mammogram. He showed me the results immediately and went back to PCP who referred me next to the surgeon. One week to the day later I was in for a core biopsy and the following Monday was given my diagnosis. On October 13th I was in the hospital for a lumpectomy, took 2 weeks from work and then went back for the port to be put in and on 11/6 started 6 rounds of chemo, followed by 36 rads. I am no longer in treatment and as it was triple negative, on no medication. So from diagnosis to surgery was just a little over 2 weeks. The Oncotype DX test shows it has a high level of return, so I check my good one and my poor little funny shaped one every day.

Cyber Hugs - Pat

Myself
    I had been experiencing pain in my left breast but really didnt think much of it since everything I had ever heard said that bc was painless, boy was I wrong. (they still tell you that when I was experiencing pain in the right one had a mammo on that one everything is good) One day I started to have horrible pain in my breast and I reached over and found a hard lump. Still going on line and finding out that bc is not painful I waited about 3 weeks to make an appointment with my gyn. He felt the lump thought it was probably a cyst, tried to asperate it, nothing came out so he immediatly schedule me for a diagnostic mammogram/ultrasound and schedule me to see a surgeon. Mammogram that day, saw surgeon next day, told that most likely it was cancer. He tried to schedule a biopsy for that day, neither hospital biopsy room in the breast center was open, the earliest day was the following week, biopsy on Wednesday, phone call from surgeon on Thursday that I had breast cancer, saw surgeon on Friday to discuss options and was told that it was IDC TNBC. He called oncologist on his day off and I saw oncologist on Monday, port in on Friday and chemo started on Tuesday, everything happened so fast but I am really glad that it did. Had 6 x TAC followed by surgery and then 33 rads treatments.
  • gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    Options
    tgf said:

Mammogram
    Mine was found with my annual mammogram ... otherwise I don't think I ever would have known there was anything there. It looked like a perfectly round "pea" and about the same size. Had a lumpectomy, followed by 12 wks of Taxol and Herceptin ... then I think 35 daily radiation treatments (with herceptin infusions monthly for a year) ... and now I'm doing 10 mg. of tamoxifen in AM and 10 mg. at night. No side effects to speak of. So far so good. :-)

hugs.
    teena

Mine was found in yearly
    Mine was found in yearly mammo and would not have been found for a few years as it was very small. Doctor couldn't feel it. Smallest stage 1 A. Had lumpectomy in Aug. and 33 treatments of radiation and was on Arimidex until Nov. Took me off as I was having way to many and to harsh side effects. Still having side effects and it is almost the end of Jan. Was told it would take a short time to get over side effects once off the drug. Being treated for artharitis everywhere in my body. Just one of the side effects. This has all been worse than the actual surgery and removal of the cancer. I just pray I don't or anyone, for that matter, ever has to face this devil again.

Diana
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    beetle25 said:

Myself
    I had been experiencing pain in my left breast but really didnt think much of it since everything I had ever heard said that bc was painless, boy was I wrong. (they still tell you that when I was experiencing pain in the right one had a mammo on that one everything is good) One day I started to have horrible pain in my breast and I reached over and found a hard lump. Still going on line and finding out that bc is not painful I waited about 3 weeks to make an appointment with my gyn. He felt the lump thought it was probably a cyst, tried to asperate it, nothing came out so he immediatly schedule me for a diagnostic mammogram/ultrasound and schedule me to see a surgeon. Mammogram that day, saw surgeon next day, told that most likely it was cancer. He tried to schedule a biopsy for that day, neither hospital biopsy room in the breast center was open, the earliest day was the following week, biopsy on Wednesday, phone call from surgeon on Thursday that I had breast cancer, saw surgeon on Friday to discuss options and was told that it was IDC TNBC. He called oncologist on his day off and I saw oncologist on Monday, port in on Friday and chemo started on Tuesday, everything happened so fast but I am really glad that it did. Had 6 x TAC followed by surgery and then 33 rads treatments.

Routine mammogram
    Yearly well-woman exam April, 2010. Pap smear showed some endometrial cells - on to transvaginal ultrasound and biopsy. When I scheduled the TV ultrasound, I also scheduled my yearly mammogram for the same time. TV ultrasound showed endometrial thickening which needed to be evaluated by endometrial biopsy. While waiting for endometrial biopsy, I got the results of mammogram and told to schedule a breast ultrasound. This was scheduled 2 days after endo biopsy. At breast ultrasound they told me they wanted to do a breast biopsy so I scheduled that for 5 days later. The day before my breast biopsy, I learned I had endometrial cancer. Referral submitted to gynecologic oncologist. Had the breast biopsy and learned I had breast cancer. Referral to breast surgeon. He and gyn oncologist orchestrated my treatment plan: breast surgery (lumpectomy) first and learn that pathology; recover from that and have DaVinci robotic assisted hysterectomy and learn that pathology; then on to any adjuntive treatments. I needed chemo and radiation for the breast cancer, and I have follow-up pelvic exams and Pap smears every 4 months now, but no poison nor rads for it. I have no idea how that would have worked, and I don't even want to think about it!
    Breast cancer Stage 1, Grade 2 invasive ductal carcinoma, ER/PR+ HER-2-; oncotype 31; endo cancer Stage 1b, Grade 1.
    Done with chemo and radiation. Started Arimidex 6 weeks ago. Growing hair and feeling great - except I seem to have follow up appointments with someone every single month!

Suzanne
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    Options
    i b c
    i found it went doctor with in a week i was taking chemo 3 years later i am clean went onc this past monday ct looked good. thank god i go back in 6 mon.
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Routine mammo
    Had stereotactic biopsy, lumpectomy - IDC; er,pr+; 1 node, radiation and am on Arimidex.

Sue
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    ladybug22 said:

i b c
    i found it went doctor with in a week i was taking chemo 3 years later i am clean went onc this past monday ct looked good. thank god i go back in 6 mon.

Thought I felt a very small
    Thought I felt a very small lump and had a mammogram. Had another set of different mammograms and got directly sent for a core needle biopsy. It was bc and had a lumpectomy followed by rads. No chemo which I am thankful for.

Kylez
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    I felt a lump in my breast
    I felt a lump in my breast in August 1986 while on vacation. It was more like a thickening than an actual lump and painless. I sat on it because I was only 33. In January, at my regular Gyn visit, I had my doctor check it out. She said, "I'm not impressed." I thought great and was exiting when she stopped me and said she was going to do a baseline mammogram. Results were IDC. Biopsy confirmed it--Stage 3 A. Still fighting but still alive!
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

Mammo (after waiting 8
    Mammo (after waiting 8 years! ) so bad :)
    8 rounds of chemo and 7 weeks of rads.
    Oh, lumpectomy with re-excision to get clean margins 3 weeks later.
    17 nodes removed, 8 being cancerous.
    Good post Susie!

My husband had felt
    My husband had felt something, a small lump, so, I called my GP and saw her. She set me up for a mammo and called me and set me up with a needle biopsy the next day. Bad news was not welcomed :(

Radiation treatments started about 6 weeks after my lumpectomy.
  • midnight10
    midnight10 Member Posts: 74
    Options
    I had a lump in my armpit
    I had a lump in my armpit and thought it was just a swollen gland. It kept getting bigger so I set up a dr app't--couldn't get in for 2 wks. By that time there were 2 lumps under my arm. My dr had me schedule a mammo and see a surgeon for a biopsy of the 2 lymph nodes under my arm. Saw him before I had the mammo and he scheduled a biopsy for three weeks later. When I had the mammogram the tech (Or as I prefer to call her my personal angel) thought she saw a spot and immediately had the radiologist look at it. He did an ultrasound that day and thought the spot-although tiny-was suspicious. I had several disagreements with my physician and the nurse because they couldn't seem to get things scheduled--everything was in two or three weeks and long story shorter, they referred me to a surgeon attached to a cancer center. They referred me on a Friday afternoon and I saw the surgeon at 9:30 on Monday morning. After examining me he called the cancer center to see if they could biopsy me that day. They did and two days later called and said it was cancer in both the breast and lymph nodes.
    I had 4 every other week chemos with A/C followed by 4 every other week Taxole. A month after chemo was done I had a bilateral mastectomy with lymph nodes removed. 7 of the 15 lymph nodes had been cancerous. I've been tatooed and will start radiation next week. "My" cancer was/is Triple Negative. The lump in my breast was tiny--could not be felt by any of the docs, but the lumps under my arm were big--one over 2". The rad oncologist who I met with this week said that was not a good thing.
    I'm staying positive.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options

I felt a lump in my breast
    I felt a lump in my breast in August 1986 while on vacation. It was more like a thickening than an actual lump and painless. I sat on it because I was only 33. In January, at my regular Gyn visit, I had my doctor check it out. She said, "I'm not impressed." I thought great and was exiting when she stopped me and said she was going to do a baseline mammogram. Results were IDC. Biopsy confirmed it--Stage 3 A. Still fighting but still alive!

I'm not glad to see all of
    I'm not glad to see all of you posting, due to the fact that you have had bc, but, it has been a way to get to know all of you better, and, to learn how your bc was found.

So, thank you pink sisters! Wishing all of us good health and a good life!
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    just around Thanksgiving I noticed
    Just around Thanksgiving 2010 I noticed a slight redness and rash on my breast and before that, my nipple had been turning inwards. Went to OB/GYN on Friday, Dec 3; she immediately sent me for mammo, ultrasound, showed nothing but skin thickening. Then to breast specialist who took skin bioposy. Monday I had an MRI. Skin biopsy came back negative but MRI showed 3 by 2 cm mass in the right breast, left breast was "unremarkable" (hey!) Ultrasound guided biopsy came back negative, MRI guided biopsy came back positive, further skin biopsy on the bottom of the breast came back negative. Diagnosis IBC Stage III, Pet scan showed no evidence of metastasis.

Now on my 4th of 12 Taxol weekly treatments to be followed by 4 FEC every 3 weeks, to be followed by surgery (most likely I would go for double radical and get rid of the other one too and get a new set) followed by radiation, followed by reconstruction from tummy fat (which I have quite enough of to make several *large* new breasts!)

Staying positive and in the moment - today I am here and I feel good, headed for my after chemo nap now!

Laura