LET THE FIREWORKS BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• timreichhart
    timreichhart Member Posts: 194
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

can I say something and not to be rude about it.
    If the doctors knew the fluoride was linked to cancer why would they put in tooth paste for? I mean if they knew the factors they would not put fluoride in it at all. You might change some peoples mind by this bs brain washing stuff but it doesn't change on what I use to clean my teeth or what I use to cook my food in. Most of what you read is either BS or brain washing stuff which as no backing or scientific backings on the research. There is many things can be linked to cancer and this fluoride topic is noting but bs/brain washing stuff.

Sorry I sounded rude but its the truth most what you read on internet is either bs or brain washing stuff.

Heck they even said salt can be linked to cancer which I do believe and I always hated salt/sugar. Even if you drink your regular/diet pop can give you cancer if you drink it everyday.
  • can I say something and not to be rude about it.
    If the doctors knew the fluoride was linked to cancer why would they put in tooth paste for? I mean if they knew the factors they would not put fluoride in it at all. You might change some peoples mind by this bs brain washing stuff but it doesn't change on what I use to clean my teeth or what I use to cook my food in. Most of what you read is either BS or brain washing stuff which as no backing or scientific backings on the research. There is many things can be linked to cancer and this fluoride topic is noting but bs/brain washing stuff.

Sorry I sounded rude but its the truth most what you read on internet is either bs or brain washing stuff.

Heck they even said salt can be linked to cancer which I do believe and I always hated salt/sugar. Even if you drink your regular/diet pop can give you cancer if you drink it everyday.

• DrMary
    DrMary Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    unknown said:

I'm going to regret this
    but both as a chemist and a teacher it offends me to have so much misinformation and misinterpretation of information flying around.

To start with, if you are not able/willing to examine the research yourself (that describes most of us) then you must decide which researchers to trust. The gold standard is to trust those who publish in journals that are reviewed by peers. Behind the scenes, these peers often challenge the researchers to re-do part of a study, validate their methods or even replicate their work in the presence of reviewers. The possibilities of cheating are reduced, as there are plenty of contentious scientists who will challenge work in their field and plenty of other scientists who want to hear their side.

Of course, if you really cheat, like falsifying records, it can take years to get caught, like the doctor who claimed he found a link between immunizations and autism - it took some determined investigation to show how he'd falsified the records of his patients. Still, he was investigated because other researchers could not replicate his work and kept challenging him. However, despite the fact that his was the only published study to claim immunizations caused autism, and there were many many others that did not find that link, parents chose to believe him over his colleagues and not have their children immunized. And so children died or were crippled for life from preventable diseases.

If we choose to believe research that is not supported, we are making choices based on emotion, not reason. That is everyone's privilege, but we can't claim it to be "fact."

The American Cancer Society has reviewed all research having to do with fluoridated water and cancer and found no link. Fluorine (not stannous fluoride or sodium fluoride - the first is an element and the second are ionic compounds - very different) in other forms has been linked to health disorders, but in situations we are unlikely to encounter: sulfuryl fluoride, a house fumigant, kills in high doses and causes cancer and bone disorder in fumigators who expose themselves to low doses often, for example.

Likewise, Teflon does release carcinogens and poisonous gases in low amounts, but only at high temperatures (above 400 or so) - they do warn you not to overheat the pans. They don't release fluoride compounds (again, those are ionic and therefore have boiling points well over 1000) but instead release compounds like tetrafluoroethylene (like sulfuryl fluoride, a covalent compound).

Fluoride compounds and the many covalent compounds containing the element fluorine react completely differently. Using the dangers of the second to damn the first is poor chemistry, and people who do so to stir up an undereducated public are harmful - the benefits of prudent fluoride use far outweigh the risks of overdose, especially as overdosing is easily avoided.

Sorry - long and preachy. Just couldn't take it any more.
  • DJG1
    DJG1 Member Posts: 121
    Options
    DrMary said:

I'm going to regret this
    but both as a chemist and a teacher it offends me to have so much misinformation and misinterpretation of information flying around.

To start with, if you are not able/willing to examine the research yourself (that describes most of us) then you must decide which researchers to trust. The gold standard is to trust those who publish in journals that are reviewed by peers. Behind the scenes, these peers often challenge the researchers to re-do part of a study, validate their methods or even replicate their work in the presence of reviewers. The possibilities of cheating are reduced, as there are plenty of contentious scientists who will challenge work in their field and plenty of other scientists who want to hear their side.

Of course, if you really cheat, like falsifying records, it can take years to get caught, like the doctor who claimed he found a link between immunizations and autism - it took some determined investigation to show how he'd falsified the records of his patients. Still, he was investigated because other researchers could not replicate his work and kept challenging him. However, despite the fact that his was the only published study to claim immunizations caused autism, and there were many many others that did not find that link, parents chose to believe him over his colleagues and not have their children immunized. And so children died or were crippled for life from preventable diseases.

If we choose to believe research that is not supported, we are making choices based on emotion, not reason. That is everyone's privilege, but we can't claim it to be "fact."

The American Cancer Society has reviewed all research having to do with fluoridated water and cancer and found no link. Fluorine (not stannous fluoride or sodium fluoride - the first is an element and the second are ionic compounds - very different) in other forms has been linked to health disorders, but in situations we are unlikely to encounter: sulfuryl fluoride, a house fumigant, kills in high doses and causes cancer and bone disorder in fumigators who expose themselves to low doses often, for example.

Likewise, Teflon does release carcinogens and poisonous gases in low amounts, but only at high temperatures (above 400 or so) - they do warn you not to overheat the pans. They don't release fluoride compounds (again, those are ionic and therefore have boiling points well over 1000) but instead release compounds like tetrafluoroethylene (like sulfuryl fluoride, a covalent compound).

Fluoride compounds and the many covalent compounds containing the element fluorine react completely differently. Using the dangers of the second to damn the first is poor chemistry, and people who do so to stir up an undereducated public are harmful - the benefits of prudent fluoride use far outweigh the risks of overdose, especially as overdosing is easily avoided.

Sorry - long and preachy. Just couldn't take it any more.

LET THE FIRE WORKS BEGIN
    Well I think we can all agree that this tread has opened a can of worms. It is interesting to hear everyons opinion. I have used the fluoride trays daily since the completion of radiation mid nov. My teeth hurt all the time, and when I go to the dentist in March, I would suspect that the news will not be good. That being said, the jury is still out on weather the fluoride is beneficial or not. However I would like to throw my two cents in on the subject as well and say that I do beleive many things are cancer causing that our American Cancer Society will not tell you about. With as much good as they do, they are controlled by big goverment and are mostly supported by the drug companies. THe FDA is the biggest wastE of tax paying dollars in this county. Look who makes up the FDA and you can not argue this, unless of course you are blinded by the BS of our federal goverment. It is all about the mighty dollar, and the health of me, you, or anyone else has no consideration when desicions are made. I am sure I will be blasted with this opinion, but at least I live in a country when I can voice it. Let the fireworks begin................
  • Bear2009
    Bear2009 Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    DJG1 said:

LET THE FIRE WORKS BEGIN
    Well I think we can all agree that this tread has opened a can of worms. It is interesting to hear everyons opinion. I have used the fluoride trays daily since the completion of radiation mid nov. My teeth hurt all the time, and when I go to the dentist in March, I would suspect that the news will not be good. That being said, the jury is still out on weather the fluoride is beneficial or not. However I would like to throw my two cents in on the subject as well and say that I do beleive many things are cancer causing that our American Cancer Society will not tell you about. With as much good as they do, they are controlled by big goverment and are mostly supported by the drug companies. THe FDA is the biggest wastE of tax paying dollars in this county. Look who makes up the FDA and you can not argue this, unless of course you are blinded by the BS of our federal goverment. It is all about the mighty dollar, and the health of me, you, or anyone else has no consideration when desicions are made. I am sure I will be blasted with this opinion, but at least I live in a country when I can voice it. Let the fireworks begin................

LET THE FIRE WORKS BEGIN
    DJG1 This not about the fire works
    After treatment my teeth hurt any thing cool was terrible.About a year before my tonsil cancer
    I started taking a drug called Gabapentin for nerve pain on tips of my toes. I think chemo caused it for colon cancer treatment in 2006 my oncologist said not. According to him it did not make me sick ether but I felt ban from it anyway. Two months after treatment ask ENT if it was all ok to start taking Gabapentin for teos and teeth he try it. It made a world of difference one or two cavities still hurt when eating ice cream. Had them fixed all good now 13 months after treatment
  • booklady05
    booklady05 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    unknown said:

flouride toxic
    I haven't yet started radiation treatments. Would like a copy of this article if you can send it to me via email. Right now, am using Tom's children's strawberry flavored toothpaste, which I found at Target, every time I irrigate my mouth. Going for the third visit to my maxifacial oncologist on Monday.
  • ekdennie
    ekdennie Member Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    no trays for me
    I asked each of my doctors and they felt that I wouldn't need fluoride trays yet. they are keeping it as a option in the future. I am to brush after every meal and whenever I drink something other than water. however, my levels of dry mouth are very mild. If it had been worse then I would be doing them daily. I do use gentle kids toothpaste...it makes it easier with three kids 5 and under if we all use the same stuff when we brush and theirs didn't burn as much as mine!
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    ekdennie said:

no trays for me
    I asked each of my doctors and they felt that I wouldn't need fluoride trays yet. they are keeping it as a option in the future. I am to brush after every meal and whenever I drink something other than water. however, my levels of dry mouth are very mild. If it had been worse then I would be doing them daily. I do use gentle kids toothpaste...it makes it easier with three kids 5 and under if we all use the same stuff when we brush and theirs didn't burn as much as mine!

Flourine/flouride
    We C Patients already know about Flourine/Flouride.

FU-5, which most of us get- the Flouroracil is the FU-5, which is a combination of Flourine and Uracil.

As our Pet Scans, the radioactive isotope is non other than our old friend, Flourine:
    "Fluorine-18 is a fluorine radioisotope which is an important source of positrons. It has a mass of 18.0009380(6) u and its half-life is 109.771(20) minutes. Fluorine-18 is an important isotope in the radiopharmaceutical industry, and is primarily synthesized into fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) for use in Positron Emission Tomography (PET SCANS). It is substituted for hydroxyl and used as a tracer in the scan. Its significance is due to both its short half-life and the emission of positrons when decaying. In the radiopharmaceutical industry, it is made using either a cyclotron or linear particle accelerator to bombard a target, usually of pure or enriched oxygen-18-water [1] with high energy protons (typically ~18 MeV)."

FYI

kcass
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Kent Cass said:

Flourine/flouride

FU-5, which most of us get- the Flouroracil is the FU-5, which is a combination of Flourine and Uracil.

As our Pet Scans, the radioactive isotope is non other than our old friend, Flourine:
    "Fluorine-18 is a fluorine radioisotope which is an important source of positrons. It has a mass of 18.0009380(6) u and its half-life is 109.771(20) minutes. Fluorine-18 is an important isotope in the radiopharmaceutical industry, and is primarily synthesized into fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) for use in Positron Emission Tomography (PET SCANS). It is substituted for hydroxyl and used as a tracer in the scan. Its significance is due to both its short half-life and the emission of positrons when decaying. In the radiopharmaceutical industry, it is made using either a cyclotron or linear particle accelerator to bombard a target, usually of pure or enriched oxygen-18-water [1] with high energy protons (typically ~18 MeV)."

FYI

kcass

Kcass
    Actually, I didn't know that. Learn something new every day.
  • Kent Cass
    Options

Kcass

Sweet
    I knew about the FU-5 connection for some time, but it wasn't until last night, thanks to this thread, that my research turned-up the PS/CT connection of Flourine-18.

Not to change the subject, but when one considers our risk of a Secondary with all the Radiation we're exposed to, which has gotta be about 100,00-times more Rads than non-C people are exposed to, along with all the everyday toxins we're/everybody is exposed to in foods, clothing, detergents and cleaning chemicals. And now, add the radioactive Flourine that gets shot into the blood with the PS/CT. Reckon it can be summarized as "that's part of the gear we tote into the C battle." Remember: there was a Government report expressing concern about the amount of Xrays people get in their lives a couple months ago. Just getting typical Xrays over one's life, is like those players are playing on a high school baseball team; and us, here, we've been playing at the Major League level from the time of diagnosis- where the stakes are of critical importance of life and Death. We are off the charts, in radiation comparison to the Xray crowd.

Happy Valentine's Day, Sweet.

kcass
  • Kent Cass
    Options

Kcass

Sweet
    Ditto
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Kent Cass said:

Sweet
    I knew about the FU-5 connection for some time, but it wasn't until last night, thanks to this thread, that my research turned-up the PS/CT connection of Flourine-18.

Not to change the subject, but when one considers our risk of a Secondary with all the Radiation we're exposed to, which has gotta be about 100,00-times more Rads than non-C people are exposed to, along with all the everyday toxins we're/everybody is exposed to in foods, clothing, detergents and cleaning chemicals. And now, add the radioactive Flourine that gets shot into the blood with the PS/CT. Reckon it can be summarized as "that's part of the gear we tote into the C battle." Remember: there was a Government report expressing concern about the amount of Xrays people get in their lives a couple months ago. Just getting typical Xrays over one's life, is like those players are playing on a high school baseball team; and us, here, we've been playing at the Major League level from the time of diagnosis- where the stakes are of critical importance of life and Death. We are off the charts, in radiation comparison to the Xray crowd.

Happy Valentine's Day, Sweet.

kcass

Kcass
    I hear ya. I try not to worry about all that crap. Not much we can do to change it. The more I learn the more I really do understand why my RO did not do a PET after rads and why he feels he does not think it's wise to subject me to more of that stuff.

Thank you for the Valentine's Day wishes. Right back atcha. ;-)
  • D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Kent Cass said:

Flourine/flouride

FYI

kcass

Didn't know this.
    Thanks, Kent.

Deb