LET THE FIREWORKS BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• CajunEagle
    CajunEagle Member Posts: 408
    Options
    MarineE5 said:

Rinse time?
    Larry,

Yes, you are probably rinsing too soon. I have recently switched from the Perio-check to the Previ-Dent. I was given a flavor called Fresh Mint which really acted as if my mouth was burning. Had tears in my eyes and I finally called my Dentist about it. He told me to stop using it and made note of it. He then sent me Previ-Dent Spear Mint and it doesn't bother me at all. Go figure ?

The main thing is to brush the flouride on, and then spit any residue out without rinsing for 30 minutes to allow the flouride to work on protecting your teeth thoughout the day until the next time you brush and let the flouride set. I was told to do it twice a day, which I am now able to do with the newer perscription of the Previ-Dent.

A few months ago, I did a search on Previ-Dent and I think they actually make an unflavored flouride which I did mention to the Dentist when I saw him. I guess he wasn't able to get it as he sent me the Spearmint instead.

My Best to You and Everyone Here

Thanks, E5.
    It didn't seem correct to be rinsing that soon, so I'll wait awhile. Questions........Do you have any idea how long these "Trays"...."Mouthpiece" things last ?? Mine are starting to take on a discolorization after almost two years, and is that a problem ??

Larry
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    MarineE5 said:

Routine
    Ratface,

Just as you and Sweet mentioned, a routine is needed and finding what works best for you to do this each day is the important part. Like you mentioned, you are going to move your trays to the bathroom. That is exactly where mine are.

I brush my teeth with biotene toothpaste first, then use Perio-Check Stannous Flouride in the trays. I then take a shower with the trays in. After I get dressed, I remove the trays and let the flouride set on my teeth for 30 minutes. Then rinse as per the Cancer Dentist instructions. I haven't had any problems except for the 2 teeth that I chipped by eating some hard food roughly 1 year out of treatment. Learned a hard lesson there and had to have the 2 teeth capped.

The Doctor has recently switched me to Previ-Dent tooth Gel and I use the battery powered Oral-B toothbrush with the softest brush on it. I am now able to let the Gel set at least 2 times a day. Once after breakfast for 30 minutes and then at night when I go to sleep. I get up and rinse my mouth before sipping any water due to dry mouth. Which is usually about 90 minutes later.

Tooth paste flavors
    I can't even believe some of you can use cinnamon and mint. I have to use the fruit-tastic and even that burns. I numb my mouth when I brush because it hurts so bad my nose runs and my eyes tear. I couldn't even use that fruit-tastic during rads becAuse I was in so much pain I actually got hysterical one night, my parents almost brought me to the ER. I cannot even tell you how much that hurt. For quite a while I had to use children's bubble gum flavored Act rinse and even that hurt.
  • fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    a few years
    I have been using fluoride now for 14 plus years, the last 2 years 2 or three times a day. This is the first I have hear anyone say fluoride causes cancer.

I had a second fun run with cancer on my tongue 2 years ago, i believe that was from HBO treatments.

I know I am not worried or concerned.

John
  • kingcole42005
    kingcole42005 Member Posts: 178
    Options
    fisrpotpe said:

a few years
    I have been using fluoride now for 14 plus years, the last 2 years 2 or three times a day. This is the first I have hear anyone say fluoride causes cancer.

I had a second fun run with cancer on my tongue 2 years ago, i believe that was from HBO treatments.

I know I am not worried or concerned.

John

Flouride does cause cancer.
    Flouoride does cause cancer. This might sound weird but where I had my children we had well water and it wasn't floridated as city water is. I was told by my childrens pediatrician to use floride drops, I would not do it. I researched on my own and found out that flouride does in fact cause cancer and I wasn't going to expose my children to it.
    There teeth are fine and have never had any serious issues with them. My dentist seems a bit clueless and he has me use prescription toothpaste in the trays and the mint burns really bad. I'm supposed to use it for about 10 minutes and it's not fun.
  • Scambuster
    Scambuster Member Posts: 973
    Options

Flouride does cause cancer.
    Flouoride does cause cancer. This might sound weird but where I had my children we had well water and it wasn't floridated as city water is. I was told by my childrens pediatrician to use floride drops, I would not do it. I researched on my own and found out that flouride does in fact cause cancer and I wasn't going to expose my children to it.
    There teeth are fine and have never had any serious issues with them. My dentist seems a bit clueless and he has me use prescription toothpaste in the trays and the mint burns really bad. I'm supposed to use it for about 10 minutes and it's not fun.

Good Toothpaste - Pronamel - by Sensodyne
    I was put on this product 'Pronamel', very early after treatment by a fellow survivor and have been using it ever since. I tried the Biotene toothpaste but found it burned and also left my mouth even dryer than is was before (How dry ? Drier than a sandstorms fart).

At night I use product called GC Tooth Mousse which is made by 'ReclDent' in Japan. You just smear a small amount over your teeth before bed and it helps protect your teeth against acid attack. I try to brush 3-5 times a day and floss religiously each night and lastly found the new Sonic Electric toothbrush to give the best clean yet. Mine is an Oral B made by Braun. So far, my teeth have had no negative things happen at all.

I still use Biotene mouth rinse which is an excellent product and I have used it since the very start of rads to my poor old mouth.

For the newer people on board here, i also strongly recommend you start taking L-Glutamine powder if you have mouth healing problems, ulcers, mouth sores, throat inflammation and also to prevent the loss of muscle tissue during weight loss caused by the treatments. Most I know here who have used it have benefited.

All the best to everyone.
    Scambuster
  • matthewcplourde
    matthewcplourde Member Posts: 32
    Options
    ratface said:

learning stuff here
    wow, some people use them during the day, always thought I had to do it before bedtime and honestly I don't feel like doing it when I'm really tired. Will try that. Also I use Nupro Fluoride .9 flouride Ion and it says to use 1-4 min? Seems some are using up to thirty minuetes? Hell, I'd go crazy.

shoot...
    I used to leave them in all night! Whoops... now, I just have an "empty" tray to keep from munching on my tongue.
  • MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

Thanks, E5.
    It didn't seem correct to be rinsing that soon, so I'll wait awhile. Questions........Do you have any idea how long these "Trays"...."Mouthpiece" things last ?? Mine are starting to take on a discolorization after almost two years, and is that a problem ??

Larry

Trays
    Larry,

Just read your post. Sorry about the delay. My trays are discolored a bit also. I was told by my Dentist to rinse the trays with warm water and gently dry them with a soft cloth and let them air dry. I have had mine for over 5 years now.

To be honest, another poster here mentioned awhile back, that he couldn't afford the cost of the trays. So he went to a Sporting Goods store and purchased a set of mouth guards that you set in warm water before using them the first time. Then remove them from the water, put them in your mouth and they form to your teeth. He said that they last about 6-8 months and cost roughly $20. So, if mine eventually do give out, I will try this instead of the several hundred dollars that my trays cost when I was first fitted with them.

The main thing is to get Flouride on our teeth daily to protect our teeth and fight the cavities.

• CajunEagle
    CajunEagle Member Posts: 408
    Options
    MarineE5 said:

Trays
    Larry,

Just read your post. Sorry about the delay. My trays are discolored a bit also. I was told by my Dentist to rinse the trays with warm water and gently dry them with a soft cloth and let them air dry. I have had mine for over 5 years now.

To be honest, another poster here mentioned awhile back, that he couldn't afford the cost of the trays. So he went to a Sporting Goods store and purchased a set of mouth guards that you set in warm water before using them the first time. Then remove them from the water, put them in your mouth and they form to your teeth. He said that they last about 6-8 months and cost roughly $20. So, if mine eventually do give out, I will try this instead of the several hundred dollars that my trays cost when I was first fitted with them.

The main thing is to get Flouride on our teeth daily to protect our teeth and fight the cavities.

Trays
    Thank you, Sir. That's a great idea about the sports form fitting mouth pieces. Sounds like they would work just fine. But, I will take them out while calling plays in the huddle. :)

Larry
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Fluoride
    Hi Rose. I think most of us have read about fluoride poisoning and toxicity and it's possible link to cancer. But I am not sure what those of us that would like to keep our teeth, so that we can keep trying to eat are to do? Any suggestions? Many people continue to take risks before and after cancer with cigarettes, alcohol, sex and drugs.....knowing the risks that they hold. For me I looked at the fluoride trays with risk vs reward. I decided to take the risk to hopefully save my teeth. If my teeth rot out of my head, that could very well lead to my demise as well.
  • Fluoride
    Hi Rose. I think most of us have read about fluoride poisoning and toxicity and it's possible link to cancer. But I am not sure what those of us that would like to keep our teeth, so that we can keep trying to eat are to do? Any suggestions? Many people continue to take risks before and after cancer with cigarettes, alcohol, sex and drugs.....knowing the risks that they hold. For me I looked at the fluoride trays with risk vs reward. I decided to take the risk to hopefully save my teeth. If my teeth rot out of my head, that could very well lead to my demise as well.

• Hal61
    Hal61 Member Posts: 655
    Options
    Control Group
    Hi Everyone, I'll be the control group on this one. I don't use flouoride trays. My dentist gave me a scrip for Prevident toothpaste treatment to use before I started rads and chemo. I used it for a couple of months once a night, but I don't.

I do and always have, brush after any food, and floss daily. I'll go use that Prevident right now.

Hal
  • Hal61 said:

Control Group
    Hi Everyone, I'll be the control group on this one. I don't use flouoride trays. My dentist gave me a scrip for Prevident toothpaste treatment to use before I started rads and chemo. I used it for a couple of months once a night, but I don't.

I do and always have, brush after any food, and floss daily. I'll go use that Prevident right now.

Hal

• Hal61
    Hal61 Member Posts: 655
    Options
    unknown said:

No intent Rose, sorry
    Hi Rose, sorry if I offended. My comment was in no way a response to your post. I'm not commenting on the dangers of flouride, or not. I'm serious. I haven't been conscientious about using any flouride, and frankly didn't read your post, as I was responding to the original poster and the fact that people have been more responsible about taking care of their teeth than I have. I meant only that I'll be the control group because I've not been doing any treatment.

my apologies, Hal
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    Hal61 said:

No intent Rose, sorry
    Hi Rose, sorry if I offended. My comment was in no way a response to your post. I'm not commenting on the dangers of flouride, or not. I'm serious. I haven't been conscientious about using any flouride, and frankly didn't read your post, as I was responding to the original poster and the fact that people have been more responsible about taking care of their teeth than I have. I meant only that I'll be the control group because I've not been doing any treatment.

my apologies, Hal

How was I rude? I would
    How was I rude? I would like to know what the alternatives are that you speak of? I do believe everyone make a choice, and I think I said that, based on risk vs benefit. Rose, what is the alternative to fluoride that keeps your teeth from rotting? I will tell you I live in rural PA in a place where there is a very high unemployment rate (always higher than national average). We are all on well water and many people I know do not have health or dental insurance. Many many of my neighbors in this township are missing teeth. No fluoridated water. No money for dental care. Yes, they do brush with standard tooth paste.

I brush with Prevident Boost and I use Previxent in my trays. Prevident is prescription strength, Hal, btw. Rose, I am missing a salivary gland and my right one was fried with radiation. My mouth is extremely dry. So dry it's hard for me to talk. This is taking a severe toll on my teeth. I am spending almost all the money I have saved to try and save my teeth. So if there is some alternative I can use that is proven to strengthen my teeth and keep my teeth from rotting away, please share it with me. My have holes in them.
  • How was I rude? I would
    How was I rude? I would like to know what the alternatives are that you speak of? I do believe everyone make a choice, and I think I said that, based on risk vs benefit. Rose, what is the alternative to fluoride that keeps your teeth from rotting? I will tell you I live in rural PA in a place where there is a very high unemployment rate (always higher than national average). We are all on well water and many people I know do not have health or dental insurance. Many many of my neighbors in this township are missing teeth. No fluoridated water. No money for dental care. Yes, they do brush with standard tooth paste.

I brush with Prevident Boost and I use Previxent in my trays. Prevident is prescription strength, Hal, btw. Rose, I am missing a salivary gland and my right one was fried with radiation. My mouth is extremely dry. So dry it's hard for me to talk. This is taking a severe toll on my teeth. I am spending almost all the money I have saved to try and save my teeth. So if there is some alternative I can use that is proven to strengthen my teeth and keep my teeth from rotting away, please share it with me. My have holes in them.

• fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    unknown said:

Which
    RoseP

Which is the one you use to replace fluoride?

I have used fluoride now for almost 15 years post radiation and have had no problems from the fluoride, but if there is something better or at the very least equal the fluoride i am using I would sure like to review. My teeth are falling apart no matter what I do with them. Radiation sucks is so many ways.

Your help would be much appreciated.

John
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    unknown said:

Thank you Rose I will
    Thank you Rose I will research these products. May I ask if you are a high risk patient though? Did you have radiation? If so how are your teeth holding up with the Eco dent for the four years? Thank you. Off to look at the links.
  • adventurebob
    adventurebob Member Posts: 691
    Options
    Hal61 said:

Control Group

Hal

Flouride free
    I'm in that group with Hal. I quit using flouride about 20 years ago when I found out it caused cancer. Of course I got cancer anyway but I'm quite sure it wasn't from lack of flouride. My rad doc insisted on the trays and I refused. He had apparently never been told no and was a bit taken back but here I am still flouride free with all my teeth intact. I helped him with the no thing by telling him no aquafor either or anything containing petroleum as that also causes cancer. I sure don't want to lose my teeth but I would much rather that than more cancer. I'll let you all know how it plays out as the years (many and many) go by. I use a toothpaste by Jason that organic and flouride free and has fennel in it. It is very gentle and doesn't burn my mouth at all.

Bob
  • Flouride free
    I'm in that group with Hal. I quit using flouride about 20 years ago when I found out it caused cancer. Of course I got cancer anyway but I'm quite sure it wasn't from lack of flouride. My rad doc insisted on the trays and I refused. He had apparently never been told no and was a bit taken back but here I am still flouride free with all my teeth intact. I helped him with the no thing by telling him no aquafor either or anything containing petroleum as that also causes cancer. I sure don't want to lose my teeth but I would much rather that than more cancer. I'll let you all know how it plays out as the years (many and many) go by. I use a toothpaste by Jason that organic and flouride free and has fennel in it. It is very gentle and doesn't burn my mouth at all.

Bob