WARRIORS -- Weight Loss Ladies .. How we doing?

Options

Comments

• new2me
    new2me Member Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Dr. OZ .. states -- Sugar will kill us ...
    he wants every American to get the sugar out of homes .. it stores fat in our body.

Interesting .. let us know how the brownies turn out.

Vicki Sam

Dr. Oz - I love him & Totally agree~~~~
    I just love his show and watch it when I'm home. I totally agree - but it's my weekness.
    I will let you know on the brownies. I pray they turn out. I told my husband not to tell the family they are sugarfree - I want to see if they can tell the difference. LOL

Kelly
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    gained a couple of pounds

gained a couple of pounds this week but it I appear to be retaining water, puffy hands and feet and need to wear the compression gloves and socks. However it didn't stop me from eating within my limits and still working out! Hopefully it is just water and I can move on from this ....
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    I did not go
    to WW today because we had 6" of new snow. It was all I could do to get out of my driveway to go to rads. The roads including the highway had been plowed sparsely and I had to drive very cautious. I got home and our plow guy had not done our driveway yet! Several attempts to get into my driveway had me skidding sideways. I went to Dunkin Donuts (3 min from my house) and called my husband who was going to leave work and try to get our driveway cleared. I asked at DD if they had a phone book and I called our plow guy. By time my husband got home our driveway was plowed. Very annoying since he had to use vacation time. I let my plow guy know that I need to go out every morning for rads. At least I only ordered green tea at DD. According to my scale I'm back down to last week's weigh in. I have to learn not to eat at night when I'm not hungry!
    Char
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

I did not go
    to WW today because we had 6" of new snow. It was all I could do to get out of my driveway to go to rads. The roads including the highway had been plowed sparsely and I had to drive very cautious. I got home and our plow guy had not done our driveway yet! Several attempts to get into my driveway had me skidding sideways. I went to Dunkin Donuts (3 min from my house) and called my husband who was going to leave work and try to get our driveway cleared. I asked at DD if they had a phone book and I called our plow guy. By time my husband got home our driveway was plowed. Very annoying since he had to use vacation time. I let my plow guy know that I need to go out every morning for rads. At least I only ordered green tea at DD. According to my scale I'm back down to last week's weigh in. I have to learn not to eat at night when I'm not hungry!
    Char

Char .. LOL .. Stronger than myself .. If I lived your day
    snow, truck plowing guy - awol, ending up Dunkin Donuts, I think I may of orders a few donuts .. and a carton of milk -- as a treat, no joke. I am just weak right now - stress out beyond control. I give you KUDOS, for staying strong!

When I get all stressed out .. I find that I become weak, and it becomes easy for me make excuses .. for my eating all the wrong foods, and not exercising. So I need to journal - hoping to find out what is stressing me out (life, finances, lack of health insurance, the loss of loved ones here on our boards, classes my children can not get into in College .. just the norm) ====)))

I enjoy football beyond words and made a committment to host a Super Bowl party with my husband, just after finishing up from our Holiday Festivites. So here I sit -- thinking to myself "am I crazy"? I am soooo stressed -- I shouldn't be, but I am. I expect alot from myself. ... as do our guests. Maybe I start cooking up a few things, and start to freeze them -- alleviating a few headaches. Yep, that sounds good.

I will also save my extra 49 bonus points so I can use them on Sunday - while enjoying lunch with our 'Southern Californian' Sisters in Pink.

Better get out my frozen grapes, otherwise I am afraid I will go out and buy Donuts .. gee that sounds good .. but so unhealthy.

LOL

Vicki Sam
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Ok I was doing good this week......
    until I opened a box of Sees chocolates that a friend gave me for Christmas. OMG! She is from California and bought them the last time she was there. Needless to say there goes my 49 points.

xoxo,
    Jean
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Ok I was doing good this week......
    until I opened a box of Sees chocolates that a friend gave me for Christmas. OMG! She is from California and bought them the last time she was there. Needless to say there goes my 49 points.

xoxo,
    Jean

I had a follow up appt with
    I had a follow up appt with my oncologist yesterday & was weighed there. I didn't gain any weight!! I didn't lose any, either :(
    I'm practicing the art of mindful eating still - although tonight I'm getting together will all my best girl friends & having a few high calorie -albeit MUCH-DESERVED, beers!
    *hugs*
    heather
  • 1acme
    1acme Member Posts: 77
    Options
    new2me said:

Dr. Oz - I love him & Totally agree~~~~
    I just love his show and watch it when I'm home. I totally agree - but it's my weekness.
    I will let you know on the brownies. I pray they turn out. I told my husband not to tell the family they are sugarfree - I want to see if they can tell the difference. LOL

Kelly

Dr. OZ - Brownies - AND - guilt-free Chocolate Mousse
    Oh boy ... I love sweets so I am always looking for healthy "short cuts"
    Well recently I watched Dr. Oz show and he had a chef in introdusing

a) 80 cal/pc BROWNIES and they are VERY GOOD ...
    b) guilt-free Chocolate Mousse
    Both recipes are very good AND they taste like regular-loaded-calories Brownies & Mousse I manage to "fool" all my girlfriends :o)

BROWNIES Recipe as follows:
    1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2 cup agave syrup
    1/2 cup self-rising flour
    1/2 cup egg whites
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
    2 tbsp vanilla
    1 tsp baking powder
    6 tbsp mini semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 8x8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a food processor, mix all brownie ingredients (except chips) together. Chop on high, until smooth. Clean off sides and blend for another 20 seconds. Add the chips and stir well. Spread into the 8x8 baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for about 1 hour at room temperature.
    Recipe including FROSTING http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/kims-midnight-brownies-recipe

CHOCOLATE AVOCADO MOUSSE
    Serves 6
    12 oz. good quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 large, ripe Hass avocado, pitted and peeled
    3/4 cup light brown sugar
    6 egg whites

Melt the chocolate with the cinnamon and chili powder in a double boiler over hot water and set aside. Purée the avocado and brown sugar in a food processor until smooth. With the machine running, pour in the chocolate mixture. Using a stand mixer or whisk, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Fold the chocolate mixture into the egg whites. Pour the mousse into 6 small serving bowls or wineglasses and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or covered overnight.
    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/chocolate-avocado-mousse
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

I had a follow up appt with
    I had a follow up appt with my oncologist yesterday & was weighed there. I didn't gain any weight!! I didn't lose any, either :(
    I'm practicing the art of mindful eating still - although tonight I'm getting together will all my best girl friends & having a few high calorie -albeit MUCH-DESERVED, beers!
    *hugs*
    heather

Busy ... Busy ... getting back to 'normal' after all
    the hoopla of chemo, surgeries. Groaned my way back to weight watcher .. huffing and puffing walking the 2.5 miles .. hot and humid out here in Southern California. Promised not to beat myself up .. if I gained any weight during my 2 month hiatus from WW. ... Surprised to report that I was down 9 lbs. (my guess .. I lost that much walking to the meeting: LOL)

Just a check in ... How is everyone doing??

No beating ourselves up ...

Vicki Sam
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Busy ... Busy ... getting back to 'normal' after all
    the hoopla of chemo, surgeries. Groaned my way back to weight watcher .. huffing and puffing walking the 2.5 miles .. hot and humid out here in Southern California. Promised not to beat myself up .. if I gained any weight during my 2 month hiatus from WW. ... Surprised to report that I was down 9 lbs. (my guess .. I lost that much walking to the meeting: LOL)

Just a check in ... How is everyone doing??

No beating ourselves up ...

Vicki Sam

For those of you not using
    For those of you not using WW....I found an app called Lose it! (Their exclamation point, not mine.)

It's really good, and it's free. You put in your current weight, target weight, how much you want to loose each week, age, and height. Then it gives you a daily calorie budget. Each day you input your food and exercise and voila! you know if you're on track or not. It will also track other nutrients like sodium, protein, fat. It's easy to use, and for me it adds personal discipline while still being flexible.

Anyway, it's working for me so far.

Hugs,

Linda
  • mrs gadget
    mrs gadget Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Joined Jenny Craig
    I joined Jenny Craig in April of this year. I started out at 195lbs and now weigh 177!! I have been on Tamoxifen since March and this was the only way that I could learn how to manage my weight. They have a lot of reference material about breast cancer and the weight related issues so it was easy to find help with tailoring a diet that will work for me. In addition to that, I do distance walking and am training for my second half marathon in early October. It is possible girls...challenging, but possible.
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Gained back those 5, but
    joined WW on 6/9. 9.8 #'s lost - and that includes 2 extravagant meals out, and 4 days away. I'm on a roll to get rid of my rolls!

Sue
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Gained back those 5, but
    joined WW on 6/9. 9.8 #'s lost - and that includes 2 extravagant meals out, and 4 days away. I'm on a roll to get rid of my rolls!

Sue

Thanks, Linda for the website. Keeping track of what I put in my mouth has typically been successful for me. I should do that again. Weight Watchers has been successful for me in the past. I just don't want to do it now.

I had been a member of another gym for years and I seldom went. The Y was so much cheaper. Nice new facility, new equipment, and really friendly staff. I have a couple of friends who go and being expected there first thing in the morning instead of when I get around to it seems to be making a difference. I don't know what I was thinkin' tho. One friend is 59 years old and looks 40 (no kidding), is drop dead gorgeous and a size 4! If she wasn't so sweet, I'd hate her. I won't lie and say I don't care if I don't lose weight, because I do, but my biggest motivator is my health. I'd like to lower my BP because it continues to hoover at a level a little too high for comfort. I also watch some of my friends actually hobble and moan and groan about everything and I don't want to go there. I feel too good to be old yet. I want to be in the best physical condition I can in case (heaven forbid) I ever have to deal with this again.

Let's keep this up. Life is too short to not enjoy ice cream, but it's no fun if that's all we can do!

Suzanne
  • ellenquilt
    ellenquilt Member Posts: 2
    Options
    1acme said:

Both recipes are very good AND they taste like regular-loaded-calories Brownies & Mousse I manage to "fool" all my girlfriends :o)

1/2 cup agave syrup
    1/2 cup egg whites
    2 tbsp vanilla
    1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 8x8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a food processor, mix all brownie ingredients (except chips) together. Chop on high, until smooth. Clean off sides and blend for another 20 seconds. Add the chips and stir well. Spread into the 8x8 baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for about 1 hour at room temperature.
    Recipe including FROSTING http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/kims-midnight-brownies-recipe

CHOCOLATE AVOCADO MOUSSE
    Serves 6
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp chili powder
    6 egg whites

Melt the chocolate with the cinnamon and chili powder in a double boiler over hot water and set aside. Purée the avocado and brown sugar in a food processor until smooth. With the machine running, pour in the chocolate mixture. Using a stand mixer or whisk, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Fold the chocolate mixture into the egg whites. Pour the mousse into 6 small serving bowls or wineglasses and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or covered overnight.

How's the Mousse?
    That one sounds really good. Have you tried it? I'm a WW veteran (yo yo-ing since my teenage years which I can't even see in my rearview mirror anymore, LOL) and desperately want to try to keep losing weight during this chemo process. I have missed my meetings for the past two months and have managed to gain back 4 lbs. I lost 72 pounds a few years ago, and then got sloppy and gained half back. I want to get the rest off because I know it will help with joint pain and fatigue. I'm happy to find this group.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    1acme said:

1/2 cup agave syrup
    1/2 cup egg whites
    2 tbsp vanilla
    1 tsp baking powder

CHOCOLATE AVOCADO MOUSSE
    Serves 6
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp chili powder
    6 egg whites

Thanks for the recipes! I
    Thanks for the recipes! I love chocolate anything! LOL

Leeza
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    My Update
    Well I have been doing WW since Oct and as of today I have lost 47 lbs. It has worked for me so I plan to stick with it till I lose another 15 to 20 (we shall see who really knows). We are going on vacation tomorrow and although I plan to behave I am also planning on perhaps gaining 2-3 lbs and I am truly not all that concerned about it, I will just have to lose it again. Sounds like everyone is doing great, so happy for all of you!

Hugs,

RE
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Up and down
    Still trying to reach my pre-breast cancer Weight Watcher goal again. Getting close, but still have a few more pounds to go.

Congrats to all of you wonderful ladies for your weight loss! It is difficult, but remember we battled the breast cancer beast, so we can battle the weight loss beast as well!

xoxo,
    Jean
  • Buddysmom
    Buddysmom Member Posts: 1
    Options
    RE said:

My Update
    Well I have been doing WW since Oct and as of today I have lost 47 lbs. It has worked for me so I plan to stick with it till I lose another 15 to 20 (we shall see who really knows). We are going on vacation tomorrow and although I plan to behave I am also planning on perhaps gaining 2-3 lbs and I am truly not all that concerned about it, I will just have to lose it again. Sounds like everyone is doing great, so happy for all of you!

Hugs,

RE

Congratulations!
    Congratulations to RE for your weight loss...it is very difficult to accomplish but your story is inspiring. I am new to this site...just signed up today.
    Since my diagnosis last year and treatments, I've gained a substantial amount of weight. Neuropathy makes it doubly difficult to exercise, so I am looking for something to jump start taking the pounds off and I'll figure out exercise along the way. WW worked great for me in the past, but the last couple of times weren't successful. Is a WW program offered where you don't have to attend the meetings?

Thanks, Buddysmom
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    I wish it was better
    but I'm making slow progress. I've lost about 5 lbs but still struggling with WW. I had a caudal epidural last week and now I'm able to ride my recumbent bike again. I so wish I could walk but the knees won't cooperate. I still have 20 chemo lbs to lose and then another 50 or so.I know WW works because I am a Lifetimer. I weighed 118 lbs 15 years ago then menopause happened then bc.

I was warned that while on Arimidex unless I could exercise weight loss will be very slow. Tomorrow night I'm going to my cancer center for Summer cooking with the onc RD and the hospital chef. I went to the Spring one so I'm looking forward to this one.

RE's weight loss to date is amazing! You go girl!

Char
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    VickiSam said:

My tip of the week ....
    Every night I see to crave something sweet, so what I do is .. freeze 'red' grapes. Out here is California .. they are $3.99 per bunch -- I wash and rinse them .. cut them, and place them in those small snack size ziplock bags .. and freeze.

okay .. here is another tip ..

Blueberry's .. I freeze them when I find them on sale == and believe my little baggies last all winter long ..

option 1) same as grapes

optiion 2) fill 1/2 way ice cube trays with water (I normall freeze 3 trays at a time) overnite. Next morning I spoon in fresh blueberries and fill up balance of each cube tray with water .. Important .. freeze for 48 hours. What you end up with .. Blueberry ice cubes .. to put into your dinner water for family, or herbal tea .. antioxidents galore I also use my blueberry ice cube in my ice tea .. water/lemonade .. everything. Fun Fun .. I've tried raspberry's .. they don't work as well.

opiion 3) fresh lemon cubes .. fully concentrated takes 48 hours to totally freeze - I use my lemon ice cubes in my water, tea's, lemonade .. but I mostly use them to make homemade salad dressings ... take 3 cubes, allow to defrost on the counter - in a coffee mug, add a little morton's lite salt, pepper (or cayenne pepper for spicy flavor) .. a little splash of EVOO - extra virgin olive oil .. mix well, pour over fresh green salad or veggie's ... yummmy

Happy Freezing,

Vicki Sam

I was reading thru this post
    I was reading thru this post and came upon yours VickiSam where you said to freeze grapes. I love grapes and Duh me, never thought of this. Thanks!
  • HootieGirl
    HootieGirl Member Posts: 85
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

I wish it was better
    but I'm making slow progress. I've lost about 5 lbs but still struggling with WW. I had a caudal epidural last week and now I'm able to ride my recumbent bike again. I so wish I could walk but the knees won't cooperate. I still have 20 chemo lbs to lose and then another 50 or so.I know WW works because I am a Lifetimer. I weighed 118 lbs 15 years ago then menopause happened then bc.

I was warned that while on Arimidex unless I could exercise weight loss will be very slow. Tomorrow night I'm going to my cancer center for Summer cooking with the onc RD and the hospital chef. I went to the Spring one so I'm looking forward to this one.

RE's weight loss to date is amazing! You go girl!

Char

I gained 15 lbs from all of
    I gained 15 lbs from all of the steroids they gave me during chemo. It has been a slow process losing it and I've built up more muscle mass, so I'm not sure how much weight I have actually lost. I'm training for a 15K right now and I think that will help me get back to where I used to be. The run is in October, and it's such an exciting goal seeing as how last October I was bed ridden from my mastectomy and other surgeries. It will be great to see how far I have come and to prove that breast cancer doesn't have to control my life. Good luck on all of the weight loss ladies! Just remember not to be too obsessed with the scale. It will happen in time, you just have to be patient.

Kat