WARRIORS -- Weight Loss Ladies .. How we doing?

Options

Comments

• aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    pitt said:

My two cents...
    Can I offer some unsolicited advice? From a person who LOVES to workout!!! Don't weigh yourself everyday...make it once a week instead. That number can drive you crazy if you let it. Plus, if you are exercising, try adding weight lifting to schedule. You will gain muscle and burn fat...but guess what? Muscle weighs more than fat so the number may actually go up!!! (But your metabolism will be faster, fat will melt away, your size will go down, and you will need to eat to keep the muscle...) Don't fall into that vicious cycle of looking at that number. Just some friendly advice...

PS Weight lifting helps reduce the chance of lymphodema and improves bone density too! But remember to wear a compression sleeve if you add this to your routine.

Good luck!!!
    Pitt

PS I've missed you girls!!!

I am with you on this one Pitt
    I don't even own a scale, never have.

But after chemo, my clothes started not fitting, so it was a no brainer =)

I am walking AND running now, I am so happy, it feels so amazing to be
    able to run again. One day I will find my way to the gym as well, but for
    now I am enjoying the nice weather in AZ.. still missing trees and the ocean though.

I am hoping that soon I can put away my chunky-flage.

Vickisam, sorry to hear your are not feeling so well these days but
    I admire your spirit keep pushing.

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • aysemari
    Options
    new2me said:

Want to lose weight with you guys :) can I join you?
    I don't do weight watchers though- I love the gym. It's been 3 weeks now since I started back faithfully. Been averaing about 4 days a week. I do aerobic / step class and zumba at the gym. I absolutely love going. So far I've lost 2 lbs. My problem is snacking. I have this weakness for chocolate :( I don't weigh everyday either, I weigh first thing Saturday morning, right after I pee and with nothing on.
    When did you guys start this? Can I join in/ :)

Kelly

AWWWWHH Kelly
    That is an adorable picture!!

I LOVE it. Is that your baby?

Gosh, I love babies.

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • lovs2decorate
    lovs2decorate Member Posts: 44
    Options
    I hate my scale!!! Never says the same thing twice!!!
    Ok, doing the weight watchers program. I had done it 9 years ago and lost 40lbs and have been able to keep it off. Now i'm trying for another 10.

The reason I hate my scale is because it gives me a weight that is WAY over what I started with. I move the thing around the bathroom and get a different number every time! There isn't an even spot in the bathroom to give me an acurate weight. It makes me nuts!!!!!

I've decided to use my measurements as my weight loss guide. So my new friend is going to be the tape measurer.

Justine
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options

I hate my scale!!! Never says the same thing twice!!!
    Ok, doing the weight watchers program. I had done it 9 years ago and lost 40lbs and have been able to keep it off. Now i'm trying for another 10.

The reason I hate my scale is because it gives me a weight that is WAY over what I started with. I move the thing around the bathroom and get a different number every time! There isn't an even spot in the bathroom to give me an acurate weight. It makes me nuts!!!!!

I've decided to use my measurements as my weight loss guide. So my new friend is going to be the tape measurer.

Justine

I hate my scale too... it
    I hate my scale too... it says I've gained 15lbs since dx... oh wait... I guess I have... am I to late to join in??? I really need some motivation... by the time I get home from work, the couch screams out my name... it's soooo inviting!! OMG I've become a couch potatoe!!!

~T
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    taleena said:

I hate my scale too... it
    I hate my scale too... it says I've gained 15lbs since dx... oh wait... I guess I have... am I to late to join in??? I really need some motivation... by the time I get home from work, the couch screams out my name... it's soooo inviting!! OMG I've become a couch potatoe!!!

~T

Evening Star .. what have you been doing to lose
    86 plus pounds ? Wow, I am so impressed.

Yes .. Everyone can join our group of 'Shrinking Warriors'. We are here to support each other, offer ideas - and get us all movin' .. We need to cut back on our food in take as well as move..

My goal this week .. when hungry, I plan on snacking on fruits or veggies. Walking 2 x this week .. 1/2 . and on days I don't walk .. go up and down my stairs 20 times per day...this is alot with my chronic fatigue, but I MUST do it, in order to heal mental and physically.

Vicki Sam
  • new2me
    new2me Member Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    aysemari said:

AWWWWHH Kelly
    That is an adorable picture!!

I LOVE it. Is that your baby?

Gosh, I love babies.

Hugs,
    Ayse

Thank you aysemari ****
    He is my 1st grandbaby - A boy !! Aedan Dwane - He was born right before my last chemo. He was the pot of gold at the end of my dark journey. He helped get me through. :)
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Yes .. Everyone can join our group of 'Shrinking Warriors'. We are here to support each other, offer ideas - and get us all movin' .. We need to cut back on our food in take as well as move..

My goal this week .. when hungry, I plan on snacking on fruits or veggies. Walking 2 x this week .. 1/2 . and on days I don't walk .. go up and down my stairs 20 times per day...this is alot with my chronic fatigue, but I MUST do it, in order to heal mental and physically.

Vicki Sam

short answer
    is Nutrisystem. I am not a sales person, it has its drawbacks but it has worked for me. I also am religious about drinking 2 liters of water every day. And I don't like the stuff, I just 'do it'.

Maureen
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    The scale
    I agree with Pitt and Ayse about the scale. It's been a while since I weighed myself. My feelings on diet and exercise have really changed in the past few months. After diagnosis I was told that my particular cancer responded well to a very low fat diet. I went to a nutritionist and was told how many fat grams and fiber grams I was to eat everyday. For months, I tried to follow the diet. I would carefully plan, cook, and pack my meals every day. And everyday I would be starving and ultimately end up "cheating" and beating myself up over my supposed failure. I wondered how I could be risking my life by not following this diet. It took me a while to realize that my body needed more food and that I was not a failure by giving it what it wanted and needed. Now I follow an intuitive eating approach, and am much, much happier. I no longer eat for emotional reasons (at least not as much as I used to) and give my body healthy fuel in the amounts that it needs. I am no longer deprived. I do, however, want to get more exercise in. I would like to enjoy moving my body again. I am really proud of you ladies who are walking, running, and moving yourselves.

Sorry to ramble!

Mimi
  • aysemari
    Options
    new2me said:

Thank you aysemari ****
    He is my 1st grandbaby - A boy !! Aedan Dwane - He was born right before my last chemo. He was the pot of gold at the end of my dark journey. He helped get me through. :)

new2me
    What a precious little pot of gold!!

OOoaaah... don't you just want to squeeeze him??

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    OK, all of that lost weight
    OK, all of that lost weight is being sent through cyberspace right to my thighs. I'm not doing as well. I am walking 1-3 miles per day--mainly because of my pushy, walk-loving dogs ;-). But Christmas with Katherine's cookie baking marathons put about 3 lbs on my derriere. So I'll try and do better!
  • new2me
    Options
    VickiSam said:

New2Me .. Yes, come on and join us .. we are battling
    the weight that chemo, radiation, stress and fatigue have brought on. We are here 24/7 to lend support. We are 1 big happy family, losing 1 pound at a time, and celebrating each and every pound lost.!!! :-)

What type of program are you interested in? Counting Calores, Carb ? Feel free to join in and gab ..

Strength, Courage and Weight Loss ..

Vicki Sam

Thank you -
    B/C (before cancer) I was counting calories and exercising religiously with a heart monitor - and it worked great for me - lost 24 lbs. I even had help with Diet pills (Dr. prescribed and monitored) But can't do diet pills while on herceptin and radiation. so I feel fearful that the weight won't come off as easliy.
    HOw often does everyone check/weigh in??

Kelly
  • new2me
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Vicki Sam

VickiSam ***
    I try to give myself realistic weekly goals - this week my goal is to workout at the gym 4 days this week for an hour. I jsut started back to the gym about a month ago and I'll tell you - it is hard to keep up, but if I can just stay with it for that hour I go home feeling like i've accomplished alot. Radiation started for me Monday so I don't know how much fatigue I'll have to fight off. Weight loss has always been a life time struggle for me and this cancer is just another hurdle in it's track.
    Ya know VickiSam - I have to make myself go to the gym lately - but once I;m there, I feel so much better. I only need to lose 20 lbs but it;s the hardest ever.
  • VickiSam
    Options

OK, all of that lost weight
    OK, all of that lost weight is being sent through cyberspace right to my thighs. I'm not doing as well. I am walking 1-3 miles per day--mainly because of my pushy, walk-loving dogs ;-). But Christmas with Katherine's cookie baking marathons put about 3 lbs on my derriere. So I'll try and do better!

C.C. .. You are a RIOT! Looking at your photo .. I see
    a beautiful .. skinny WARRIOR, and Danny. Yep, my thighs and upper stomach seem to be my problem area .. Always have been .. maybe I've stretch my stomach muscles beyond === repair .. Sit ups have never worked for me.. I feel like a deflated .. PIllsbury Dough Girl (twin sister to the Pillsbury dough boy) LOL

Vicki Sam
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    VickiSam said:

C.C. .. You are a RIOT! Looking at your photo .. I see
    a beautiful .. skinny WARRIOR, and Danny. Yep, my thighs and upper stomach seem to be my problem area .. Always have been .. maybe I've stretch my stomach muscles beyond === repair .. Sit ups have never worked for me.. I feel like a deflated .. PIllsbury Dough Girl (twin sister to the Pillsbury dough boy) LOL

Vicki Sam

Count me in
    I am trying to get back to walking. My daughter (she is pregnant)and I have been trying to walk when she gets home. It is good for both of us. I enjoy walking and use to walk about 30 miles a week. Sadly I have not been get anywhere close to that. We are trying to get moving though. I do best when I count calories and carbs and just get up and move. I keep kids, 3- 3yr.olds and a 10 month old keeps me jumping all day! I hope this gives me more encouragement to get moving and stop to much snacking which is a big prob for me too. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Man oh man do I need some
    Man oh man do I need some encouragement!! I was dx less than 2 yrs after having my Doodie, and I packed on 60 lbs during my pregnancy. I still had about 15 lbs of baby weight to lose when I started chemo. The steroids made me ravenous!! Rarely was I nauseous during chemo! I have a treadmill at home, and wii fit, I can't go to a gym because i can't afford it for one, and I have my daughter home with me during the day. My problem is I have NO ENERGY. I still have to take naps most days. I do at least eat pretty healthy but i'm very unhappy with my figure right now :( I will join in with you wonderful ladies & hope to sponge off of your enthusiasm ;)- i hope it will rub off on me!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • VickiSam
    Options

Man oh man do I need some
    Man oh man do I need some encouragement!! I was dx less than 2 yrs after having my Doodie, and I packed on 60 lbs during my pregnancy. I still had about 15 lbs of baby weight to lose when I started chemo. The steroids made me ravenous!! Rarely was I nauseous during chemo! I have a treadmill at home, and wii fit, I can't go to a gym because i can't afford it for one, and I have my daughter home with me during the day. My problem is I have NO ENERGY. I still have to take naps most days. I do at least eat pretty healthy but i'm very unhappy with my figure right now :( I will join in with you wonderful ladies & hope to sponge off of your enthusiasm ;)- i hope it will rub off on me!
    *hugs*
    Heather

My tip of the week ....
    Every night I see to crave something sweet, so what I do is .. freeze 'red' grapes. Out here is California .. they are $3.99 per bunch -- I wash and rinse them .. cut them, and place them in those small snack size ziplock bags .. and freeze.

okay .. here is another tip ..

Blueberry's .. I freeze them when I find them on sale == and believe my little baggies last all winter long ..

option 1) same as grapes

optiion 2) fill 1/2 way ice cube trays with water (I normall freeze 3 trays at a time) overnite. Next morning I spoon in fresh blueberries and fill up balance of each cube tray with water .. Important .. freeze for 48 hours. What you end up with .. Blueberry ice cubes .. to put into your dinner water for family, or herbal tea .. antioxidents galore I also use my blueberry ice cube in my ice tea .. water/lemonade .. everything. Fun Fun .. I've tried raspberry's .. they don't work as well.

opiion 3) fresh lemon cubes .. fully concentrated takes 48 hours to totally freeze - I use my lemon ice cubes in my water, tea's, lemonade .. but I mostly use them to make homemade salad dressings ... take 3 cubes, allow to defrost on the counter - in a coffee mug, add a little morton's lite salt, pepper (or cayenne pepper for spicy flavor) .. a little splash of EVOO - extra virgin olive oil .. mix well, pour over fresh green salad or veggie's ... yummmy

Happy Freezing,

Vicki Sam
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    mimivac said:

The scale
    I agree with Pitt and Ayse about the scale. It's been a while since I weighed myself. My feelings on diet and exercise have really changed in the past few months. After diagnosis I was told that my particular cancer responded well to a very low fat diet. I went to a nutritionist and was told how many fat grams and fiber grams I was to eat everyday. For months, I tried to follow the diet. I would carefully plan, cook, and pack my meals every day. And everyday I would be starving and ultimately end up "cheating" and beating myself up over my supposed failure. I wondered how I could be risking my life by not following this diet. It took me a while to realize that my body needed more food and that I was not a failure by giving it what it wanted and needed. Now I follow an intuitive eating approach, and am much, much happier. I no longer eat for emotional reasons (at least not as much as I used to) and give my body healthy fuel in the amounts that it needs. I am no longer deprived. I do, however, want to get more exercise in. I would like to enjoy moving my body again. I am really proud of you ladies who are walking, running, and moving yourselves.

Sorry to ramble!

Mimi

I don't weigh myself. I
    I don't weigh myself. I figure when my clothes start getting too tight, I need to start watching what I eat. I don't like sweets, so, that helps.

My oncologist's office scales are in kilograms. I think I read where Libby suggested that. It doesn't seem so bad then. LOL
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    jphilpo said:

weight
    Thanks for the posting!! I just found out I have severe anemia which explains SO MUCH!! I try to walk 10,000 steps a day, but I just can't. So,.... I too just push!!!!

I also try not to beat myself up, though it's hard not to!!

Jean

I walk everyday and have
    I walk everyday and have found that it keeps my weight where I want it to be. It is hard to with winter, but, I still do it. Just bundle up a lot.

Leeza
  • new2me
    Options
    VickiSam said:

My tip of the week ....
    Every night I see to crave something sweet, so what I do is .. freeze 'red' grapes. Out here is California .. they are $3.99 per bunch -- I wash and rinse them .. cut them, and place them in those small snack size ziplock bags .. and freeze.

okay .. here is another tip ..

Blueberry's .. I freeze them when I find them on sale == and believe my little baggies last all winter long ..

option 1) same as grapes

optiion 2) fill 1/2 way ice cube trays with water (I normall freeze 3 trays at a time) overnite. Next morning I spoon in fresh blueberries and fill up balance of each cube tray with water .. Important .. freeze for 48 hours. What you end up with .. Blueberry ice cubes .. to put into your dinner water for family, or herbal tea .. antioxidents galore I also use my blueberry ice cube in my ice tea .. water/lemonade .. everything. Fun Fun .. I've tried raspberry's .. they don't work as well.

opiion 3) fresh lemon cubes .. fully concentrated takes 48 hours to totally freeze - I use my lemon ice cubes in my water, tea's, lemonade .. but I mostly use them to make homemade salad dressings ... take 3 cubes, allow to defrost on the counter - in a coffee mug, add a little morton's lite salt, pepper (or cayenne pepper for spicy flavor) .. a little splash of EVOO - extra virgin olive oil .. mix well, pour over fresh green salad or veggie's ... yummmy

Happy Freezing,

Vicki Sam

Great Tip - Vicki Sam
    I 'll have to remember that.
    Popcorn is one of my all time favorites - I don't buy the microwave bagged kind - I use an air popper and I add just 1 tbs of butter and a tad of salt and I try to munch on that in the evenings. Yumm, I love it. I am not a soda drinker - but I do drink more Ice tea than i should. I use to use artificial sweetner like - sweetnlow until my oncologist told me to try Nustevia instead and I love it - no bitter after taste. this week-end I'm going to make brownies (my weakness) with nustevia instead of grandulated sugar. Hope it turns out. My Dr. wants me off grandualted sugar all together. Well, see :):)
  • VickiSam
    Options
    new2me said:

Great Tip - Vicki Sam
    I 'll have to remember that.
    Popcorn is one of my all time favorites - I don't buy the microwave bagged kind - I use an air popper and I add just 1 tbs of butter and a tad of salt and I try to munch on that in the evenings. Yumm, I love it. I am not a soda drinker - but I do drink more Ice tea than i should. I use to use artificial sweetner like - sweetnlow until my oncologist told me to try Nustevia instead and I love it - no bitter after taste. this week-end I'm going to make brownies (my weakness) with nustevia instead of grandulated sugar. Hope it turns out. My Dr. wants me off grandualted sugar all together. Well, see :):)

Dr. OZ .. states -- Sugar will kill us ...
    he wants every American to get the sugar out of homes .. it stores fat in our body.

Interesting .. let us know how the brownies turn out.

Vicki Sam