nipple reconstruction

Options

Comments

• SusanEliz
    SusanEliz Member Posts: 50
    Options

3 D tattoo
    I thought about just doing the 3 D tat and my plastic surgeon said "NO." I looked at him with a puzzled look and he said you need nipples, you need to take ownership of your breasts! I laughed so hard!!! Marianne

"Take ownership of your
    "Take ownership of your breasts!" That is very funny :) It's been about ten weeks since the tram flap surgery and they're just starting to feel like "mine"

Susan
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    jessica80 said:

I just had mine done
    I just had mine dne 6 weeks ago and just like you girls mine turned black and I freaked out!!I was so mad when the girl at the desk said this is normal and I will fall off!!What really!!Well when I went in my doc said yes its normal for the tip to turn black and fall off!!I was releived until it did fall off and I have the smallest nipplr bump I have ever seen!!LOL!!Definatly does not match the other but it will do!!I talk to my artist and he showed me pics of some ladies that he has done and they look great he also says even though I have the bumpe he can still do it and it might look even better!!Im so very glad I found this site I finally have someone to talk to about this!!

I hear ya!
    Dear Jessica,

Thank you posting! I had no idea it was the 'norm' for them to turn black. You have no idea how encouraging that is to me ... you're right, no one tells us this stuff and who can we talk to about it? All I want to talk about these days are boobs & bras! ;)
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    aysemari said:

I am on the fence
    One nipple came out great and one not so... may have to redo that one!!

But you know what I don't care anymore. I am glad to be alive, nips or not!!

I have boobs and can keep my sexy clothes with the nice V-cuts, so what
    can I ask more for.

I feel weird about my new boobs, since I don't have feeling... they are more
    of an accessory to me, like a purse.

How do you ladies feel about yours?? And I can't imagine that a guy would
    enjoy these, to me they feel fake... sorry if I am too open.

But that's just me..

Hugs,
    Ayse

you're not too open
    I think all us single gals wonder about that ... I had the same thing happen to me with my nips. One side looks great, the other ... not so much.

You're right ... we have the cleavage and can wear those v-necks.

I had my exchange in the summer and the winter has really surprised me because these things get COLD! And when I shiver, the pec muscles all feel weird. I feel like I have some sort of alien on my chest. The cold makes it worse.

I had some feeling on the top but now that I have the nips I lost that ... hope it comes back. And again, the cold just makes it worse because I feel like I have these cold blobs on my chest, I can't really feel them but I sense the cold.

When I touch them with my fingers ... they feel real. Ayse ... if a man truly loves you, he really isn't going to care about such things - there are going to be much important things about you that he is going to like.

But I know where you're coming from ... it does make a lady feel insecure.

xo
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    SusanEliz said:

"Take ownership of your
    "Take ownership of your breasts!" That is very funny :) It's been about ten weeks since the tram flap surgery and they're just starting to feel like "mine"

Susan

Take Ownership .. Interesting === Well I think I've taken
    ownership by telling my Plastic surgeon .. No to nipples, and just the 3D tatto's. As many of you are aware of .. I had my bilateral and exchange -- 1 year ago today, 1/12/10, contacted a staph infection in April .. 5 days in the hospital, emergency surgery .. right breast affect (non cancer breast) .. replaced right tissue expander in May .. fill ups again .. agony and pain -- had 1 breast for 6 weeks before replacement .. hard to live and walk around with 1 C cup and 1 no breast -- I applaud all you women who do this on a daily basis .. exchange surgery 7-29 ... my last which was a lift to my right breast was on 9/29/10 .. My health insurance ran out the very next day. 5 major surgeries in 8 months --. So yes, I am proud to sport my new C cups .. without nipples, and will go for 3 D tattoo's .. If you decide you want nipples -- you can always go back and have nipples put in.

My choice .. Take back my life -- No nipples, but perhaps in the future.

Strength and Courage to all of you,

Vicki Sam
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    VickiSam said:

ownership by telling my Plastic surgeon .. No to nipples, and just the 3D tatto's. As many of you are aware of .. I had my bilateral and exchange -- 1 year ago today, 1/12/10, contacted a staph infection in April .. 5 days in the hospital, emergency surgery .. right breast affect (non cancer breast) .. replaced right tissue expander in May .. fill ups again .. agony and pain -- had 1 breast for 6 weeks before replacement .. hard to live and walk around with 1 C cup and 1 no breast -- I applaud all you women who do this on a daily basis .. exchange surgery 7-29 ... my last which was a lift to my right breast was on 9/29/10 .. My health insurance ran out the very next day. 5 major surgeries in 8 months --. So yes, I am proud to sport my new C cups .. without nipples, and will go for 3 D tattoo's .. If you decide you want nipples -- you can always go back and have nipples put in.

Vicki Sam

Good for you VickiSam,
    Good for you for taking ownership. You have definitely been through enough in one year and enough surgeries!

I had my nipple done the same time they did my "exchange" surgery (plus my ovaries & fallopian tubes removed). Wanted to get it done all at one time to be done!!!!!

The same day (December 1st), a friend of mine was having her nipple done for the THIRD time! No way. I said if mine doesn't take, so be it. (So far so good however). I haven't spoken to my friend recently, but was having a lot of drainage and problems with her 3rd nip.

xoxo,
    Jean
  • Giant Poodles
    Giant Poodles Member Posts: 79
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Vicki Sam

I had nipple reconstruction
    I had nipple reconstruction in October and my PS took skin from my lower belly and made the arora (sp) and nipple. It did not need tatooing, it turned the correct color on its on. Not sure if it was a different way to do it or not, but it worked. I like them, they just went down. They are not flat, but not as big as they were right after the surgery. Considering everything, I am happy. I had my replacement and nipples at the same time.
    Love, Rhonda
  • VickiSam
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Good for you VickiSam,
    Good for you for taking ownership. You have definitely been through enough in one year and enough surgeries!

I had my nipple done the same time they did my "exchange" surgery (plus my ovaries & fallopian tubes removed). Wanted to get it done all at one time to be done!!!!!

The same day (December 1st), a friend of mine was having her nipple done for the THIRD time! No way. I said if mine doesn't take, so be it. (So far so good however). I haven't spoken to my friend recently, but was having a lot of drainage and problems with her 3rd nip.

xoxo,
    Jean

Jean .. Thank you for your support ... LOL
    Just my personal choice right now .. Need and want to get on with MY LIFE! I'll get my nipples done on my time, not my doctor's. heheheheheh

Sassy Vicki
  • Giant Poodles
    Giant Poodles Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Good for you VickiSam,

xoxo,
    Jean

Why did you decide to have
    Why did you decide to have your ovaries and fallopian tubes removed. I am going to new OBGYN end of month. This will be the first time since dx a year ago. Long story, but the old OBGYN had me taking Yazmin all the time except for 4 weeks a year. It is not designed to be given that way, it also has estrogen. I took it for 7 years this way. It took him 2 weeks to call with news of my cancer, so needless to say I dropped him. Anyway, I was going to ask the new OBGYN if I should have my ovaries out.
    Love, Rhonda
  • Sally5
    Sally5 Member Posts: 87
    Options

Merry-
    Merry - I have an appt this afternoon with my PS - my 2nd post exchange follow up, and to discuss nipple reconstruction. I have decided that I'll be getting them done, I am hoping and praying that I can get them done with no difficulties! I'll post an update on my appt when I get home.
    Is it more info about the tattooing you're looking for? I know quite a few reputable tattoo artists & shop owners who know other artists & shop owners, lol. If you let me know what city you're in I could probably get a few suggestions & recomendations for you!
    *hugs*
    Heather

Heather
    Heather,
    How did your appt. go with the PS?

Thanks for the expert advice. I thought the reconstruction surgeon does it? (the tattoo) I live in the (CA) LA county area. I guess I am not sure about another surgery (for the nipple reconstruction). The tattoo seemed better or less involved.

You seem to be such a trooper. You seem to breeze through anything that comes your way.

Any advice would be great.

Merry (Sally5)
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options

Why did you decide to have
    Why did you decide to have your ovaries and fallopian tubes removed. I am going to new OBGYN end of month. This will be the first time since dx a year ago. Long story, but the old OBGYN had me taking Yazmin all the time except for 4 weeks a year. It is not designed to be given that way, it also has estrogen. I took it for 7 years this way. It took him 2 weeks to call with news of my cancer, so needless to say I dropped him. Anyway, I was going to ask the new OBGYN if I should have my ovaries out.
    Love, Rhonda

Hi Rhonda,
    I talked with my oncologist about having my ovaries removed. My aunt had breast cancer and ovarian cancer. She referred me to a Gyn Oncologist. We talked for a very long time. She said that the link between breast cancer & ovarian cancer wasn't that high. However, because of the estrogen in the ovaries, there may be a higher chance or recurrance. She said this surgery wasn't for everyone. She spoke with my oncologist and decided that I would be a good candidate for this. So I decided to get it done since I was going under anyway. I don't need them anymore. My onc was thinking about putting me on Tamoxifen. However, since I had my ovaries removed she put me right on Femara.

xoxo,
    Jean
  • drc536
    drc536 Member Posts: 1
    Options

3-D tats ARE awesome!
    If you can find a good tatoo artist, the 3-d tats are awesome!

I strongly leaned towards just getting the tats ... but deep down I really wanted to try to see if I could get an actual 'bump' for a nip. I think with everything we've lost in our surgeries ... having something that actually looked like a nip was extremely important to me. I didn't realize it until I had almost cancelled my nip surgery twice.

Anyway ... if you're not comfortable with the nip surgery, I say go for the 3-d tats! They are impressive and look sooooo real. From what I've read, you have to go back for touch-ups but that's the least of our worries, right?

The after-care for the tats is extremely important so, follow the instructions given to you by your artist.

It's my PS's Physician assistant who does the tats ... and that makes me kind of nervous. I'm thinking about getting a 3-d tat too! :)

P.S. Here are some links to 3-d tattoo artists that I've found if you've never seen one:

http://vinniemyers.com/section/105672_Nipple_Areola_Tattooing.html

http://www.facecrafter.com/scarcamouflage.htm#areola

http://www.ashevillepermanentmakeupclinic.com/Areola-Tattoos.html

And yes, you can get 'stick on' nips:
    http://myreforma.com/

Nipples
    Thanks for providing the info and the websites. It helps by providing alternatives.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi Rhonda,
    I talked with my oncologist about having my ovaries removed. My aunt had breast cancer and ovarian cancer. She referred me to a Gyn Oncologist. We talked for a very long time. She said that the link between breast cancer & ovarian cancer wasn't that high. However, because of the estrogen in the ovaries, there may be a higher chance or recurrance. She said this surgery wasn't for everyone. She spoke with my oncologist and decided that I would be a good candidate for this. So I decided to get it done since I was going under anyway. I don't need them anymore. My onc was thinking about putting me on Tamoxifen. However, since I had my ovaries removed she put me right on Femara.

xoxo,
    Jean

How did your appointment go
    How did your appointment go Tuesday with your surgeon? Post when you can.

Hugs, Diane
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    SusanEliz said:

"Take ownership of your

Susan

Wow
    I think this is exactly what I needed to hear:

Take ownership of your breasts!

I said I felt like they were fake, not mine...

But I suppose it is up to me, to MAKE them mine.

I have to ponder on this one....

Thanks,
    Ayse
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    aysemari said:

Wow
    I think this is exactly what I needed to hear:

Take ownership of your breasts!

I said I felt like they were fake, not mine...

But I suppose it is up to me, to MAKE them mine.

I have to ponder on this one....

Thanks,
    Ayse

What your friend gave to you
    What your friend gave to you in your profile pic Ayse is so beautiful.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Sally5 said:

MyTurnNow,
    Hi. I think we

MyTurnNow,

Hi. I think we are probably at the same point. I am trying to decide, as well. (About the nipples and / or tatoo)

My dr. knows I am NOT anxious to do any more surgeries. He did suggest that I could get the tattoo....

If you know more about, I'd love you to share.

Thanks,
    Merry (Sally5)

So sorry Betsy. I am always
    So sorry Betsy. I am always amazed by how much you all go through after a mastectomy. You are all so courageous and brave.

Wishing you luck,

Debby
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    SusanEliz said:

"Take ownership of your

Susan

What a great saying "take
    What a great saying "take ownership of your breasts". Love that.

Jan
  • Betsy13
    Betsy13 Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Hi Betsy ~
    I am wondering how you are and where things stand now?

Praying for you!
    Betsy
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

3-D tats ARE awesome!
    If you can find a good tatoo artist, the 3-d tats are awesome!

I strongly leaned towards just getting the tats ... but deep down I really wanted to try to see if I could get an actual 'bump' for a nip. I think with everything we've lost in our surgeries ... having something that actually looked like a nip was extremely important to me. I didn't realize it until I had almost cancelled my nip surgery twice.

Anyway ... if you're not comfortable with the nip surgery, I say go for the 3-d tats! They are impressive and look sooooo real. From what I've read, you have to go back for touch-ups but that's the least of our worries, right?

The after-care for the tats is extremely important so, follow the instructions given to you by your artist.

It's my PS's Physician assistant who does the tats ... and that makes me kind of nervous. I'm thinking about getting a 3-d tat too! :)

P.S. Here are some links to 3-d tattoo artists that I've found if you've never seen one:

http://vinniemyers.com/section/105672_Nipple_Areola_Tattooing.html

http://www.facecrafter.com/scarcamouflage.htm#areola

http://www.ashevillepermanentmakeupclinic.com/Areola-Tattoos.html

And yes, you can get 'stick on' nips:
    http://myreforma.com/

I'm so sorry. Just wanted
    I'm so sorry. Just wanted to tell you that I have seen the 3 D tat on a pink sister and it really looked great.
  • SamuraiMom
    SamuraiMom Member Posts: 295
    Options
    third times a charm
    Hi Bestymorgan,

I just had my left nip redone for the third time on Saturday.

Don't give up.

I'm not.

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom
  • VickiSam
    Options

third times a charm
    Hi Bestymorgan,

I just had my left nip redone for the third time on Saturday.

Don't give up.

I'm not.

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom

You're all such brave souls .. SamuraiMom .. 3 times for your
    left nip .. are you being charged money each and every time?? Is your insurance paying for this ?? just questions that come to mind -- I would be screaming "cry me a river", right about now.

3D tatt's here I come!! LOL Nipples -- maybe somewhere down the road, in a year of two.

Strength and Courage to all:

Vicki Sam