NO family history

Options
2»

Comments

• Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    I'm the first...
    ... With any type of cancer, at all. Both sides of my family.

1 of 7 American women are diagnosed each year. Less than 10% is due to "family history" (i.e., genetics); therefore, unfortunately, all women are at risk.

Kind regards, Susan
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options

I'm the first...
    ... With any type of cancer, at all. Both sides of my family.

1 of 7 American women are diagnosed each year. Less than 10% is due to "family history" (i.e., genetics); therefore, unfortunately, all women are at risk.

Kind regards, Susan

my dr told me the same
    JUST being female put my odds way up...
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    No family history of Breast
    No family history of Breast cancer. There has been one or two cases of Colon Cancer on my mother's side but absolutely nothing on my fathers.
  • Brooklynchele
    Brooklynchele Member Posts: 123
    Options
    None
    None in my family either. My mother had desmoid tumor in the chest wall but not breast cancer. Maybe lotto is a good idea ;)

Hugs,
    Michele
  • gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    Options
    no history
    Me neither... no history and I got it BC. Hoping my daughters don't.

Diana
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    gagee said:

no history
    Me neither... no history and I got it BC. Hoping my daughters don't.

Diana

Yes we have several.
    In my family, it arrives when we are over 55. I was 58. My mother was in her late 70s, my grandmother was in her 60s, my aunt was in her late 50s.

Roseann
  • hopefulwhumor
    hopefulwhumor Member Posts: 45
    Options
    roseann4 said:

Yes we have several.
    In my family, it arrives when we are over 55. I was 58. My mother was in her late 70s, my grandmother was in her 60s, my aunt was in her late 50s.

Roseann

NO BC, but my Dad has had
    NO BC, but my Dad has had kidney, which moved to a brain tumor, 10 years later. Had prostate, and thyroid. My Onc told me that BC can also come from the fathers side...? that was news to me. He also told me that the National health people, sorry can't remember the name, has come out and said NOT to do self exams! If I hadn't I wouldn't of found mine. I "preach" that to anyone who will listen. I'm the first in my family for BC, and hopefully the last.
    What a roller-coaster this has been!
  • pbrndm5
    pbrndm5 Member Posts: 83
    Options

NO BC, but my Dad has had
    NO BC, but my Dad has had kidney, which moved to a brain tumor, 10 years later. Had prostate, and thyroid. My Onc told me that BC can also come from the fathers side...? that was news to me. He also told me that the National health people, sorry can't remember the name, has come out and said NOT to do self exams! If I hadn't I wouldn't of found mine. I "preach" that to anyone who will listen. I'm the first in my family for BC, and hopefully the last.
    What a roller-coaster this has been!

NO BC
    I don't have any history of breast cancer on my Mom's side. Not sure of my grandmother though. My Dad had protrate cancer and I had an aunt on my fathers side who had bc back in the 60's.
    Read the same thing that 80% of women diagnosed have no bc in family.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

None here
    No form of cancer in my family for at least 4 generation. But I'm IBC (Inflammatory BC).

No family history of breast
    No family history of breast cancer either. ♥ Kristin ♥
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

i am the first female that i
    i am the first female that i know of to have breast cancer, but i dont have a lot of females to compare to...mom, me, two cousins, two grandmothers (one of them i have no contact with). i dont know about great grandmothers. my two granpas each died of cancer.

I am the first in my family
    I am the first in my family to have bc, and, I pray the one and only!

Leeza
  • betsymorgan
    betsymorgan Member Posts: 25
    Options
    the first with bc
    I'm the first with breast cancer--if it hadn't been for my internist shaking her finger at me with the rebuke that my dad had prostate cancer and my mom had colon cancer, I would have let my 6-month follow-up mammo just roll into my annual.
  • Betsy13
    Betsy13 Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Nope
    none here. We had lung cancer but that was because of smoking. I had the genetic testing done just to make sure because I have a daughter. I have no genetic markers of BRAC1 or 2!

Betsy
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Betsy13 said:

Nope
    none here. We had lung cancer but that was because of smoking. I had the genetic testing done just to make sure because I have a daughter. I have no genetic markers of BRAC1 or 2!

Betsy

First women in my family .. Oncologist would not
    perform BRCA test on me - because I was the first female with breast cancer in my family. breast cancer was my 3rd cancer ,, first thyroid cancer .. in my late teens .. then cervical, now breast cancer .. all before 45 years of age. Hard facts for me to get my arms around.

Vicki Sam
  • Betsy13
    Betsy13 Member Posts: 185
    Options
    VickiSam said:

perform BRCA test on me - because I was the first female with breast cancer in my family. breast cancer was my 3rd cancer ,, first thyroid cancer .. in my late teens .. then cervical, now breast cancer .. all before 45 years of age. Hard facts for me to get my arms around.

Vicki Sam

Hi Vicki Sam ~
    I'd get a second opinion. It doesn't make sense why they wouldn't recommend it. My rad. onc. recommended it since I wasn't 50 yet and I have a daughter. Does your insurance cover it? You might just want to tell your onc. that you want it done period. I'm glad I did. It certainly took one stress of my plate (and my daughter's).

Good luck!
    Betsy
  • jbuff
    jbuff Member Posts: 27
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Vicki Sam

Grandmother died of BC at age of 46....
    and I have 6 siblings, 3 sons and numerous 1st cousins so I asked for the BRCA. My father died at age 51 with colon cancer and his mother of BC at 46 so natually I just knew it was just a matter of when for me. My insurance did pay for it and to my surprise it came back "No Mutation Detected"...go figure...now I'm wondering if I had this because of all the hormones my gyn put me on without testing hormone levels first! Never had a hysterectomy so I must have had some hormones still in me. Oh..and did I mention that my gyn who I saw for 35 yrs just picked up and left the state a month after putting me on a second hormone and BAM 10 months later....breast cancer, mastectomy and complications from reconstruction!!!!
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    boy oh boy...
    seems like no family history really out weighs the "FAMILY HISTORY"...

When I went for one of my mammos and they did the computerized questions...and showed like no chance & then called back since something suspicious....

I am the one and only with U.C. (ulcertive colitis as well)

we should all play lotto...!
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    jbuff said:

Grandmother died of BC at age of 46....
    and I have 6 siblings, 3 sons and numerous 1st cousins so I asked for the BRCA. My father died at age 51 with colon cancer and his mother of BC at 46 so natually I just knew it was just a matter of when for me. My insurance did pay for it and to my surprise it came back "No Mutation Detected"...go figure...now I'm wondering if I had this because of all the hormones my gyn put me on without testing hormone levels first! Never had a hysterectomy so I must have had some hormones still in me. Oh..and did I mention that my gyn who I saw for 35 yrs just picked up and left the state a month after putting me on a second hormone and BAM 10 months later....breast cancer, mastectomy and complications from reconstruction!!!!

what is BRCA?
    never heard of this..!