We met NED today.

Kimba1505
Kimba1505 Member Posts: 557
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
Awful day anxiety wise. Actually had to take a little anti-anxiety medication, I was so upset. Fortunately the CNA tipped us off that things looked okay as she was checking Mark in.
For those of you who have not followed the story of Mark and would like to know what he started with, and how he ends up with this good report, in a nutshell:

Mark was diagnosed in April of this year with Squamous Cell Carcinoma, left tonsil, Stage IV, HPV+. He underwent surgery for removal of tonsil, surrounding area, a bit of his tongue and soft pallet, and a radical neck dissection (all lymph nodes on the left side, took the muscle, but spared the nerve) He then had 6 weeks of chemo/rad (Cisplatin to start but then switched to Carboplatin + Taxol due to hearing loss). Mark finsihed treatment on July 20th, had his PEG yanked on August 19th, eats what he wants, does what he wants, lives like he wants. Today, November 24, ENT says NED, statistically he should stay that way, report back in 3 months for the next PET.

I have not posted on the Thanksgiving posts because I wasn't sure what the outcome of this appointment would be. But I am so thankful, regardless of what the news would have been, for this amazing group of people who commune here. To say this was a life line would be an understatement. I am also so grateful for Mark's treatment team, and I am especially thankful for the person who Mark is. He faced this head on. He was amazing before, he was amazing during, and he is amazing now.
Thank you all for never letting me be alone.
Kim

Comments

• Fire34
    Fire34 Member Posts: 365
    Congrats Mark & Kim
    Again congrats ,sounds like Mark is doing really well. I wish I could have done that well 4 months out. Again Congrats & Happy Holidays
    Wishes & Prayers for more meetings with NED
    Dave
  • Hal61
    Hal61 Member Posts: 655
    Great News
    Great News for you, Mark, and us Kim. You're a great support and contributor for the board and all here, and it's been great to follow Mark's progress with you.
    best, Hal
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Woo Hoo!!!
    Finally!!! Have been waiting anxiously for his results. Mark is now the newest member of the NED club.

Congratulations to both of you.

This wonderful news couldn't have come at a more approrpiate time, now you both have so much to be thankful for while you are celebrating your Thanksgiving day together.

Stay well,
    Glenna
  • mixleader
    mixleader Member Posts: 267 Member
    Our Buddy, NED
    Mark and Kim, this is absolutely wonderful news. I am very happy for both of you. The Holidays seem a little bit brighter now. Peace be with you both and enjoy your holidays. I hope that all of us have NED as our best friend forever.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Congrats
    And... I have a request of you if you haven't done it in a while or at all....

Go back an read some of your very first posts....

Thoughts & Prayers for future scopes, probes, scans an exams.....

John
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    AWESOME NEWS
    Kim, this is such great news for both of you. I am a couple of months right behing Mark with a very simillar diagnoses and treatment regimen.

This brings a whole new meaning to "Thanksgiving."

Best to both of you during this long and trying time.

Mike
  • luv2cut1
    luv2cut1 Member Posts: 288
    I WAS WAITING FOR YOUR POST TODAY!
    Kim & Mark,

I haven't posted for a while, but I was waiting for your post today. Congratulations!!!! I had to take a little anxiety medication on the day of Pat's PET as well. I hope now you can relax and have a WONDERFUL THANKSGIVING.

Congratulations again.

Myka
  • Jimbo55
    Jimbo55 Member Posts: 590 Member
    Excellent
    Kim & Mark, so good to hear, just great news. I know exactly how you are feeling today. Cheers

Jimbo
  • CLRRN
    CLRRN Member Posts: 127
    Thanks for sharing.....
    Kim,

I know it was a long two weeks waiting for the results and so glad NED was the end result. I hope you are both able to take a deep breath and continue on your journey in this thing called "life". Thank you for your positive posts and encouraging words. My best to you and Mark. Happy Thanksgiving....xoxox Chris and Mike
  • delnative
    delnative Member Posts: 450
    CLRRN said:

Thanks for sharing.....
    Kim,

I know it was a long two weeks waiting for the results and so glad NED was the end result. I hope you are both able to take a deep breath and continue on your journey in this thing called "life". Thank you for your positive posts and encouraging words. My best to you and Mark. Happy Thanksgiving....xoxox Chris and Mike

Yay!
    Kim:
    This Thanksgiving will be one to remember. May you and Mark go on to celebrate many, many more.

--Jim in Delaware
  • Scambuster
    Scambuster Member Posts: 973
    delnative said:

Yay!
    Kim:
    This Thanksgiving will be one to remember. May you and Mark go on to celebrate many, many more.

--Jim in Delaware

Great news
    So ggod to hear the NED news for Mark and you. Very good indeed. I was getting concerned as it was taking a while but what a relief.

Onwards and upwards !!

Scam
  • Jan Trinks
    Jan Trinks Member Posts: 477
    Great News
    Kim:

That is so great to hear and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Jan
  • rush1958
    rush1958 Member Posts: 221 Member
    Congrats
    Good to hear the news. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Rush
  • susan0803
    susan0803 Member Posts: 90
    rush1958 said:

Congrats
    Good to hear the news. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Rush

great news
    Kim and Mark,
    Great news! Thanks for sharing and good luck to you and Mark forever.

Suzanne
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    susan0803 said:

great news
    Kim and Mark,
    Great news! Thanks for sharing and good luck to you and Mark forever.

Suzanne

Kim and Mark
    - a most happy Thanksgiving to the both of you. Been quite a year for y'all. Most likely a Holiday to remember. And that's a great thing. Enjoy.

kcass
  • D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Kim,

Thank you for sharing your happy news! More to be thankful for.

Deb
  • Kimba1505
    Kimba1505 Member Posts: 557
    D Lewis said:

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Kim,

Thank you for sharing your happy news! More to be thankful for.

Deb

I love all of you!!!
    Mark's words today:
    "What you lose in youth you gain in wisdom: what you lose in health you gain in appreciation".

He has given some things up in this battle, some permenant, some hopefully temporary. But the gain of living, loving, and embracing every day...HUGE. We are both better people for this.

Tremendous love to you all. Thank you.
    Kim
  • micktissue
    micktissue Member Posts: 430
    Welcome to Club Ned Mark
    Awesome news for you both.

Best,

Mick
  • ekdennie
    ekdennie Member Posts: 238 Member
    congratulations!
    congratulations on hanging out with your new friend NED! I hope to be able to hang out with him in a few months myself! I hope that NED decides he wants to be Mark's best friend for a very very very very long time! I wish you both an amazing Thanksgiving...what a blessing to get the news just before a big holiday!
  • fsdman
    fsdman Member Posts: 51
    great news eat some turkey
    great news eat some turkey now.
    Bob