What Are You Doing For Thanksgiving & What Are You Cooking?

Options

Comments

• weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    Options
    chenheart said:

Yes, the Native Community
    Yes, the Native Community here doesn't think too highly of ThanksTaking Day, either~ but it isn't thought of with quite as much distain as Columbus Day! Can't say that I blame them...which is why ( for the uninitiated) my table is always decorated with those Rag Doll Pilgrims run thru with toy arrows. And, I have made it mandatory that before the cooking starts , with my morning coffee, any and all who are in the living room HAVE to watch the episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer (I have all 7 seasons on DVD) called "Pangs." It is actually about Reggie's Tribe, the Chumash, and how Buffy's first attempt at cooking Thanksgiving dinner for her friends turns out when the spirits of slaughtered Chumash Indians wake up for the day... Let the festivities begin! LOL LOL

Hugs,
    Chen♥

OMG...You made me laugh
    My mother Being Native American, I can totally relate too your humor.
    I had to call my mom and read your post to her.
    So funny have a Great day!
    Chen I would love a set of those pilgrims, let me know where I can get a set: )
    Karie
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    weazer said:

OMG...You made me laugh
    My mother Being Native American, I can totally relate too your humor.
    I had to call my mom and read your post to her.
    So funny have a Great day!
    Chen I would love a set of those pilgrims, let me know where I can get a set: )
    Karie

I just googled Pilgrim Rag
    I just googled Pilgrim Rag Dolls a few years ago and I found some online! They don't actually come with arrows ( imagine that! LOL) but I got some at a toy store~ they have been thru the ringer, so this year I refashioned some out of card board, added decorative feathers and voila! If we can't laugh, we are doomed! :-)

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    missrenee said:

Okay--this is too weird!
    T R I M M I N G S!!!

That is hilarious and
    That is hilarious and ridiculous!
  • susie09
    Options

P.S. I forgot that Danny
    P.S. I forgot that Danny makes oranges stuffed with yams too. I knew I was forgetting something.

Anyone have a recipe for
    Anyone have a recipe for cranberry salad? I want to make some, but, don't have a recipe for it. Guess I could google it.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

Yes, the Native Community
    Yes, the Native Community here doesn't think too highly of ThanksTaking Day, either~ but it isn't thought of with quite as much distain as Columbus Day! Can't say that I blame them...which is why ( for the uninitiated) my table is always decorated with those Rag Doll Pilgrims run thru with toy arrows. And, I have made it mandatory that before the cooking starts , with my morning coffee, any and all who are in the living room HAVE to watch the episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer (I have all 7 seasons on DVD) called "Pangs." It is actually about Reggie's Tribe, the Chumash, and how Buffy's first attempt at cooking Thanksgiving dinner for her friends turns out when the spirits of slaughtered Chumash Indians wake up for the day... Let the festivities begin! LOL LOL

Hugs,
    Chen♥

In 1990, in SD, "Columbus
    In 1990, in SD, "Columbus Day" was officially changed, by a unanamous vote of the State legislature, to "Native American Day".
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    cavediver said:

try to enjoy and cherish
    try to enjoy and cherish every moment, day, and holiday you can spend with loved ones and friends. I know it is difficult when we have to deal with cancer...but life has no guarantees and embrace the moment as best you can. Did I understand today is your birthday? Hugs to you and hope you find some enjoyment in the holiday with loved ones.

Just wishing everyone a very
    Just wishing everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Hugs, Debby
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Options
    NYC
    We are going to our son's home in New Jersey where we can enjoy quality time with our one-year-old twin grandbabies. Everyone brings something - I always bring my famous sweet potato casserole (more like a dessert with coconut mixed through and candied pecans on top), my mom brings filling (which is what you all call stuffing or dressing in other areas) - we are from a Pennsylvania Dutch background and in Lancaster, it is filling. Then on Friday, we are going into New York City to see the Radio City Chrismtas Show. I am so excited! There is a lot to be thankful for this year. (I completed all my treatments 2 weeks ago!)
    Linda
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    linpsu said:

NYC
    We are going to our son's home in New Jersey where we can enjoy quality time with our one-year-old twin grandbabies. Everyone brings something - I always bring my famous sweet potato casserole (more like a dessert with coconut mixed through and candied pecans on top), my mom brings filling (which is what you all call stuffing or dressing in other areas) - we are from a Pennsylvania Dutch background and in Lancaster, it is filling. Then on Friday, we are going into New York City to see the Radio City Chrismtas Show. I am so excited! There is a lot to be thankful for this year. (I completed all my treatments 2 weeks ago!)
    Linda

I think i will just eat at
    I think i will just eat at Chens! Just kidding..I am having a small Turkey brunch at my house about 1pm, then will head to my sisters for a big family dinner. I also make the marshmellow yams, but i think i will save the green bean for christmas.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    meena1 said:

I think i will just eat at
    I think i will just eat at Chens! Just kidding..I am having a small Turkey brunch at my house about 1pm, then will head to my sisters for a big family dinner. I also make the marshmellow yams, but i think i will save the green bean for christmas.

oh yes, did I mention that I
    oh yes, did I mention that I make the best stuffing in the world...honest you will not find better. It is very simple recipe, but the secret ingredient is...drumroll, please...a handful of parmesean cheese!
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Hubby and I are traveling to
    Hubby and I are traveling to S. florida to be with our oldest son and his family. I'll be making a sausage & apple bread stuffing and choc chip cookies for my honey bun grandson Charlie. My daughter in law and her aunt will do the major preparations.

Last year I could barely eat. This year I have my hair again, a little more energy, and I look forward to a nice holiday with family.

Happy Thanksgiving!! It is my favorite holiday.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

Going to Oregon!
    With my hubby, brother, and sister-in-law. My parents are there, and we also have a vacation/retirement house up there as well.

We're driving up this time, which is a change for us since usually fly. There's supposed to be a lot of rain heading down the state of CA, so I'm hoping we don't get stuck in the snow in the mountain passes, but we do have 4WD truck and chains, so we're about as prepared as we can be for the weather.

Can't wait to get up there. I don't know exactly what will be on our menu, but I know it will include Turkey, Dressing (my mom's is the BEST!), cranberry sauce, and probably green beans (I might just try Chen's recipe - sounds yummy) and mashed 'taters. My hubby will probably insist that I make my apple pie, and we'll no doubt have pumpkin as well.

There will only be 6 of us, so that should be enough, don't you think??? If we're lucky, we'll have some leftover turkey for enchiladas.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

I can't wait for
    I can't wait for Thanksgiving! We are having about 14 adults and lots of kids out to our home to celebrate. Love the smells in the kitchen, the kids running around and everyone just having a wonderful time.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hugs, Megan
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    natly15 said:

Hubby and I are traveling to
    Hubby and I are traveling to S. florida to be with our oldest son and his family. I'll be making a sausage & apple bread stuffing and choc chip cookies for my honey bun grandson Charlie. My daughter in law and her aunt will do the major preparations.

Last year I could barely eat. This year I have my hair again, a little more energy, and I look forward to a nice holiday with family.

Happy Thanksgiving!! It is my favorite holiday.

I'll be hosting .. Christmas .. party of 28 and 3 children
    under the age of 7 -- Yikes! Too much for me to host both Holidays - my sister and Mom are in shock!! Oh well ... they will get over themselves! I was lucky to have my sister, host Christmas last year - after 8 years of me doing both Holidays .. so this year my husband, children and I are meeting with my Aunt Honey and her son at the 'Hilton' in Anaheim, Ca for Thanksgiving dinner -. My Aunt Honey is my dad's only surviving sibling, and I try and get together with her several times a year -- it makes me feel like dad is with us during these get togethers. Dad died about 15 years ago.

Looking forward to Prime Rib, mashed potatoes & gravy, and more prime rib. I guess this means I need to get dress up and out of my sweats! LOL

Everyone enjoy .. and be safe.

Vicki Sam
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Options
    Ocean City
    I'll be at my Mom's over by Ocean City, MD - actually in Ocean Pines. One of the bestest yet baddest things we make for turkey day is the candied sweet potatoes. I take a stick of butter and melt it in a skillet and pour a can of yams or sw potatoes in with the juice. Then I take a couple handfulls of brown sugar and sprinkle on top and let it cook down to a syrup. Don't need no marshmallows for that one!!!! It is just so good!
    Pat
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry after reading this!!
    My family will spend the day at my sister's house celebrating with both our families. She has been with me throughout this journey and I owe her big time! We will partake in the traditional turkey with dressing, green bean casserole (I think I'll make Chen's recipe this year), mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, rolls and on and on. I am the pie baker and will make the customary pumpkin along with pecan. I think I'll need to find a pair of pants with elastic so there is room for everything. LOL.

I hope all my kindred spirits have a wonderful time reflecting on everything we have to be thankful for!! Part of my thanks will be for ALL of YOU!!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

I'm hungry after reading this!!
    My family will spend the day at my sister's house celebrating with both our families. She has been with me throughout this journey and I owe her big time! We will partake in the traditional turkey with dressing, green bean casserole (I think I'll make Chen's recipe this year), mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, rolls and on and on. I am the pie baker and will make the customary pumpkin along with pecan. I think I'll need to find a pair of pants with elastic so there is room for everything. LOL.

I hope all my kindred spirits have a wonderful time reflecting on everything we have to be thankful for!! Part of my thanks will be for ALL of YOU!!

Hungry? I am STARVING after reading this. lol
    My husband and I have taken on the great honor ( lol ) of having everyone, and, I mean everyoneeeeeeeeeeee here for Thanksgiving. What was I thinking?

I've got the turkeys ordered ( yes, I said turkey's - plural lol ) and will pick them up tomorrow along with everything else that I need.

I already made the noodles, as, my hubby lovessssssssss my homemade noodles with everything. lol My sister in law's have made the desserts, so, that is one thing that I don't have to tackle.

So, along with turkey, we are having homemade noodles, potatoes and gravy, corn that I froze from our garden, creamed peas with baby potatoes, relishes, oyster stuffing ( my favorite ), cranberry salad, brussel sprouts with pancetta, and, I might make my famous roasted green beans with sun-dried tomatoes. ( not sure ) I think I am trying to make too much! lol There will be even more food, as, everyone usually brings something, even though I told them not to.

One of our friends is making dinner rolls from scratch. Did I say Yum???

Wishing all of you sisters in pink the best Thanksgiving ever!

Love you all,

Sue :)
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Options
    Char, JoAnn and Chefrox I
    Char, JoAnn and Chefrox I hope you are able to enjoy the holiday despite the chemo/prognosis worries.
    Everyone's plans sound great! I will be cooking at my house for my husband, sister and brother inlaw, neices and nephews and of course myself! my sister is in charge of potato dishes and I am doing everything else. So happy that I feel so good and that I can do this!
    Susie I am making a fresh cranberry relish. I do not measure anything but I use cranberries, a whole orange, rind and all, a whole apple. I put them all in the food processor then I add sugar to taste. I make it a day ahead. Everyone in the family who likes cranberry loves it!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    meena1 said:

oh yes, did I mention that I
    oh yes, did I mention that I make the best stuffing in the world...honest you will not find better. It is very simple recipe, but the secret ingredient is...drumroll, please...a handful of parmesean cheese!

Meena, Parmesan cheese?
    Meena, Parmesan cheese? What type of dressing? Cornbread, sausage, oyster?
  • susie09
    Options
    elm3544 said:

Char, JoAnn and Chefrox I
    Char, JoAnn and Chefrox I hope you are able to enjoy the holiday despite the chemo/prognosis worries.
    Everyone's plans sound great! I will be cooking at my house for my husband, sister and brother inlaw, neices and nephews and of course myself! my sister is in charge of potato dishes and I am doing everything else. So happy that I feel so good and that I can do this!
    Susie I am making a fresh cranberry relish. I do not measure anything but I use cranberries, a whole orange, rind and all, a whole apple. I put them all in the food processor then I add sugar to taste. I make it a day ahead. Everyone in the family who likes cranberry loves it!

Thanks Elm! I will try your
    Thanks Elm! I will try your recipe! Happy Turkey Day!
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    beetle25 said:

Going to a friends house and
    Going to a friends house and we are sharing the cooking chores, I have the mashed potatoes, homemade mac and cheese, green bean cassorale and pumkin pie squares.

Family is all over the country so we do not get together unless they can come here. Mom is coming to visit she gets to make the pumkin pie squares.

purchasing an apple pie, dont feel like cooking that

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I think we all are fixing
    I think we all are fixing the same dinner! LOL

Happy Thanksgiving and God bless all of you!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    RE said:

ON THE ROAD AGAIN!
    We are traveling to Arizona day after tomorrow with our son and his gf: destination my brother in laws. He will be hosting much of the family, count to date is 18 staying with them. They are doing a pit bar-b-que where the turkey and other meats will be well seasoned and buried and allowed to cook overnight, should be primo by the next day. It's fun as they dig a huge pit and all the neighbors bring over what they want to bar-b-que and throughout the night they monitor it in shifts.

The day after Thanksgiving we will be have a WEDDING!!! My brother in-law is going to marry his long time girl friend so we will be partying for two days! It is a cowboy themed casual wedding everyone is wearing jeans and cowboy shirts, should be great fun!

Everyone HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

RE

Have a great time in AZ RE!
    Have a great time in AZ RE! And, happy thanksgiving!