second primary diagnosis

sure_hope
sure_hope Member Posts: 60
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was wondering if anyone has been diagnosed with a second primary diagnosis of breast cancer. I just had a biopsy of some calcification in the opposite breast from the original breast cancer. I was told by the doctor that if it is cancer, it is not a metastasis. What type of treatment am I looking at if it is cancer. Has anyone ever experienced this, and if you have, can I please hear your experience? I'm not scared, I'd just like to know what I am up against.

Comments

• skico
    skico Member Posts: 7
    I had a second primary
    10 years after the first in other breast. The more recent one was treated as a completely new case and treatment was based on this particular cancer's characteristics only (in my case surgery and tamoxifen).
  • sure_hope
    sure_hope Member Posts: 60
    skico said:

I had a second primary
    10 years after the first in other breast. The more recent one was treated as a completely new case and treatment was based on this particular cancer's characteristics only (in my case surgery and tamoxifen).

thank you.
    I'm still being

thank you.

I'm still being treated for the original cancer. I take herceptin and zometa every third week. I also take aromasin.
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    sure_hope said:

thank you.
    I'm still being

thank you.

I'm still being treated for the original cancer. I take herceptin and zometa every third week. I also take aromasin.

One of my friends...
    had a second primary cancer 17 years ago and 2 years after her first diagnosis and it was in the same breast. She had a lumpectomy the first time so she opted for a mastectomy and chemo the second time. She's fine today.

Roseann

Roseann
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    No, I haven't, but, wanted
    No, I haven't, but, wanted to send you a prayer and a hug. Keep us posted as to what your doctor says.

Hugs, Debby
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    one of my good friends...
    a fellow ACS Ambassador (whom I met in D.C.) did. Totally different...even down to the hormone indicators....

She is now 71 years young, and still going strong!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    sure_hope said:

thank you.
    I'm still being

thank you.

It sounds like if, and, I
    It sounds like if, and, I say if it is bc again, your oncologist thinks it is a new cancer, not mets, which would be better, if there can be a better with bc. Post to keep us informed.

Good luck,

Megan
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    KathiM said:

one of my good friends...
    a fellow ACS Ambassador (whom I met in D.C.) did. Totally different...even down to the hormone indicators....

She is now 71 years young, and still going strong!!!

Hugs, Kathi

Just want you to know that I
    Just want you to know that I am sending prayers and positive thoughts to you.

Hugs, Leeza
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    jnl said:

Just want you to know that I
    Just want you to know that I am sending prayers and positive thoughts to you.

Hugs, Leeza

The way I found this board
    The way I found this board was my second primary. My first on in 1994, and the other breast 2009. also tow completly different cancers. They treat them as two separate cancers
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    carkris said:

The way I found this board
    The way I found this board was my second primary. My first on in 1994, and the other breast 2009. also tow completly different cancers. They treat them as two separate cancers

Sending prayers!
    Sue :)

Sending prayers!

Sue :)