What was your favorite toy you received at Christmas as a child

Options

Comments

• Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    Options
    Boy Toys
    Well if you had brothers you would know about some of these...

Major Matt Mason- Coolest space toy of all time, had a space station, lunar crawler and lots of accessories.

&

Johnny West (some of you might have had his wife Jane West)

And I did have five sisters, so there were Flatsies, Little Kiddles, and these little dolls that came in perfume bottles that came to the space station too.

Bob
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Hubby said:

Boy Toys
    Well if you had brothers you would know about some of these...

Major Matt Mason- Coolest space toy of all time, had a space station, lunar crawler and lots of accessories.

&

Johnny West (some of you might have had his wife Jane West)

And I did have five sisters, so there were Flatsies, Little Kiddles, and these little dolls that came in perfume bottles that came to the space station too.

Bob

Hey Bob,
    I did have a

Hey Bob,
    I did have a brother and he had an erecter set, lionel trains and a chemistry set.
    The good old days :)
    He also thought he was Palliden from Have Gun Will Travel, the whole garb.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Barbie & Ken
    I had one Barbie & one Ken doll! Also had a Thumbelina. I seem to remember it being a small size Thumbelina. Did they have different sizes?
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Barbie & Ken
    I had one Barbie & one Ken doll! Also had a Thumbelina. I seem to remember it being a small size Thumbelina. Did they have different sizes?

Little Kiddles!
    Who remembers those?

Other faves:

Baby First Step
    Easy Bake Oven
    Creepy People (you baked them in a cast iron plate)and put them on your pencil
    Pogo Stick
    Real metal skates

Gotta LOVE those 60's & 70's toys.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Barbie & Ken

I don't know but mine was
    I don't know but mine was baby doll sized and looked very lifelike--for the sixties ;-)

Not for Christmas, but when I had to get stitches at age 6, my dad promised me ANYTHING if I didn't cry at the "big" toy store. I picked out a pair of plastic high heel shoes with faux fur. Boy, did my dad get off cheap. I just loved those shoes ;-) though.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    sea60 said:

Little Kiddles!
    Who remembers those?

Other faves:

Baby First Step
    Easy Bake Oven
    Creepy People (you baked them in a cast iron plate)and put them on your pencil
    Pogo Stick
    Real metal skates

Gotta LOVE those 60's & 70's toys.

I LOVED my metal skates! I
    I LOVED my metal skates! I can still not just see them, but hear them in my mind! I loved the sound they made skating on wide, smooth sidewalks, and "hopping" over the cracks inbetween. The rollerskate keys! And being able to use your sisters' or brothers 'skates because they were adjustable.

Aside from that, I remember the neighbors and the neighborhoods being safe~ we played Kick The Can, Tug of War, Red Rover and Hide and Seek. We even had a "marble season"~ we dug little holes on sides of hills,with boys and girls alike carrying around bags of marbles in case anyone wanted to play! And, carrying a stack of 45 RPM records with the plastic center disks to our friends house, cuz we were having a sleep over ~ we hoped they had good needles on the record player!!!

Remember the way old days before caller ID? When we could call and have pizza delivered to strangers??? OMG! Or calling businesses and asking if they had "Prince Albert in a can" or if their refrigerator was running?? Ok...we charged 25 CENTS an hour to babysit and 50 cents after midnight. And we thought we were rich beyond words when we came home with a few dollars in our pockets! After all, we got to raid their fridge, watch TV, put a kid or two to bed, and maybe, if we were the bad girl, sneak our b/f over to make out! Whoooo hoooooo!

Smiling now......

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

I LOVED my metal skates! I can still not just see them, but hear them in my mind! I loved the sound they made skating on wide, smooth sidewalks, and "hopping" over the cracks inbetween. The rollerskate keys! And being able to use your sisters' or brothers 'skates because they were adjustable.

Aside from that, I remember the neighbors and the neighborhoods being safe~ we played Kick The Can, Tug of War, Red Rover and Hide and Seek. We even had a "marble season"~ we dug little holes on sides of hills,with boys and girls alike carrying around bags of marbles in case anyone wanted to play! And, carrying a stack of 45 RPM records with the plastic center disks to our friends house, cuz we were having a sleep over ~ we hoped they had good needles on the record player!!!

Remember the way old days before caller ID? When we could call and have pizza delivered to strangers??? OMG! Or calling businesses and asking if they had "Prince Albert in a can" or if their refrigerator was running?? Ok...we charged 25 CENTS an hour to babysit and 50 cents after midnight. And we thought we were rich beyond words when we came home with a few dollars in our pockets! After all, we got to raid their fridge, watch TV, put a kid or two to bed, and maybe, if we were the bad girl, sneak our b/f over to make out! Whoooo hoooooo!

Smiling now......

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Yes I remember all of that
    Yes I remember all of that too. And we used to play jumprope at recess and sing those goofy jumprope songs. And sometimes we would tie many, many rubber bands together and play something called Chinese jumprope. Does anyone remember that game?

We played outdoors most of the time and our parents would holler for us at suppertime. We walked to school or rode our bikes. And I loved those metal skates too.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

Smiling now......

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Chen
    If I didn't already

Chen
    If I didn't already know that we are nearly the same age, this sure shows it. My mom would get so mad if we put our skates on our new shoes cause we always tightened them so tight that the soles would pull away from tops. So I used my old saddle shoes for skating and you wore the key around your neck. We had marble season, kite season, yo yo season, but we played jacks year round. My grandpa taught me to play and I was a real champion. Yes, playing outside was so safe and doors were unlocked. We did prank calls and baby sat. I still have (Denise has them) all the 45 records from my youth. I think that they cost a dollar apiece. I can't remember when I bought my first album but I do remember that it was Paul Anka album. They were so expensive and lots of times the only good song on them was the single. Then later, albums were the way to go and all the songs were good. I also gave Denise most of my albums. The grandkids like the Melanie album and dance to it alot. others also. Did you play teether ball? And there was a game with a ball where first you tossed it against the wall and caught it, then bounced it against the wall and caught it, then added a clap, a turn around, a double clap, and so on and so on. When I walked JJ to school the other day and was waiting for them to line up there were 3 girls, probably in 4th or 5th grade playing the same game. And jump rope, especially double dutch. Well, thanks for the Christmas memories and this pleasant walk down memory lane. So much fun.
    Stef
  • sea60
    Options
    chenheart said:

Smiling now......

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Chen, you just described my childhood!
    And don't forget saving your allowance (which was a quarter every other week) so we could buy Archie comic books and Tiger Beat when it had a picture of Bobby Sherman or David Cassidy...those were the days. Long Summer days filled with playing "real" games like Chinese jump rope, jax, YES, of course the marbles and an array of games that actually burned a zillion calories.

Waiting for one of the 3 ice cream trucks to pass so I could spend 10 cents on a double bullet and yes, the prank calls...don't get me started.

Ah, that was nice remembering those sweet days.
  • canjuncutie
    canjuncutie Member Posts: 131
    Options

I don't know but mine was
    I don't know but mine was baby doll sized and looked very lifelike--for the sixties ;-)

Not for Christmas, but when I had to get stitches at age 6, my dad promised me ANYTHING if I didn't cry at the "big" toy store. I picked out a pair of plastic high heel shoes with faux fur. Boy, did my dad get off cheap. I just loved those shoes ;-) though.

I am the odd ball
    At the age of 6 I got a crepe pan I wanted to be a chef when i grew up.
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

Smiling now......

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Metal skates
    Chen and Ladies who remember metal skates, did you ever tear them apart and make skate boards out of them with a piece of 2x4?
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

Smiling now......

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Metal skates
    Oops double post again. Heavy rains causing reception problems.
  • sea60
    Options

Metal skates
    Chen and Ladies who remember metal skates, did you ever tear them apart and make skate boards out of them with a piece of 2x4?

No...darn!
    What a great idea.

We just kept them forever since they were expandable and metal, they lasted a good long time.
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Suzy Smart
    for obvious reasons... She could spell c-a-t and count 1-2-3. She came with a desk.
    Had to add to it - I loved my Tressy doll. A Barbie type, but her hair grew!

Sue
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    yes I rember chatty...
    My favorite I dont' think anyone will remember is GOODIE Two shoes! Walking doll with two pair of shoes of course>
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    Options

yes I rember chatty...
    My favorite I dont' think anyone will remember is GOODIE Two shoes! Walking doll with two pair of shoes of course>

tiny tears
    When I was young, we had Revlon dolls (predecessor to Barbie), but my favorite doll was Tiny Tears. She would take a bottle with water and pee or cry real tears. Her hair was painted on and the very first night, my cousin threw her down and scratched some of it off - I was devastated!

I wrote on here about Roy Rogers being my childhood hero, so I must say that my favorite gift of all was a combination, WOW what a Christmas when I got a cowboy (girl) hat, boots, lasso, and six-shooters with real leather holsters and belt. They were downsized because I was very young. Believe it or not, I still have them and they still smell like the caps I used to shoot with them!

YES, we had metal roller skates with keys - and yes, a few years later we used the wheels to make skateboards. We had 45 records that we sometimes had to put the plastic piece in the middle to fit on certain RECORD PLAYERS. We carrolled at the "old folks' homes" and hospitals, as well as at the homes of other church members.

One of my most vivid memories was when my brother got a new set of tools. All of my aunts, uncles, and cousins were over and while the adults were visiting in the kitchen, we kids used the saw to cut on the drawers of my brothers chest of drawers and headboard. We also hammered in a few nails! (They failed to give him any wood to work with). I was only about 4 years old!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
    Marsha
  • skipper85
    skipper85 Member Posts: 229
    Options
    Box of 64 Crayola Crayons

One year my middle sister and I got Susie Walkers. They were life size and could walk. I got a brunette and my sister got a blonde.

HOWEVER - my very favorite thing (even to this day) is the box of 64 Crayola Crayons. I love the smell of them. Every Christmas we would get a big coloring book and a new box of 64 crayons. It was the first thing I looked for every Christmas morning.

Skipper85
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    skipper85 said:

Box of 64 Crayola Crayons

One year my middle sister and I got Susie Walkers. They were life size and could walk. I got a brunette and my sister got a blonde.

HOWEVER - my very favorite thing (even to this day) is the box of 64 Crayola Crayons. I love the smell of them. Every Christmas we would get a big coloring book and a new box of 64 crayons. It was the first thing I looked for every Christmas morning.

Skipper85

Skipper
    My daughter is 28 and still loves getting crayons! She loves the smell of them too! She teaches 1st grade so I have teased her that it's just because of crayons. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
    she still loves getting them too!!
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Options

Skipper
    My daughter is 28 and still loves getting crayons! She loves the smell of them too! She teaches 1st grade so I have teased her that it's just because of crayons. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

A two wheeler~
    with a banana seat~ and guess what color?......Lime green of course!
    And Sea60 I remember little kiddles (i still have mine) and jewelry kiddles too. Incredible edibles, spirograph, oh my so many good ones to remember!
  • skipper85
    skipper85 Member Posts: 229
    Options

Skipper
    (((Hugs))) Janice

I had to do it

I was in the store today and there in front of my eyes was the Crayola Box of 64 crayons. I just had to do it. I opened the box and took a good long whiff. My friend Carol was with me and thought I was crazy until I made her take a whiff too. Then she broke into a smile and said it brought back some wonderful eary memories. Crayons for everyone!!

Skipper