Loosing my hair!

Options
13»

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

I love my headcovers
    I hate being bald, but I love wearing most of my scarves and hats. I actually forget there's a bald head under them. My absolute favorites are Titillating Turbans http://www.titillatingturbans.com/ and Beaubeaus http://www.4women.com. They're totally different looks and I always get compliments when I wear them - always. Every time I go somewhere someone compliments me - and I'm not young and cute like you are! I also have some perky newsboy style hats from Headcovers.com. They cover the entire head unlike a regular baseball cap. I bought some other headcovers that I'm not particularly crazy about - these are definitely my favorites and when I wear them, I feel good. I really do.

I probably spent more than I would have had I purchased a wig, but I have variety and I think - fashion. Some women really feel more comfortable in a wig - I don't. I wore them in the '60's when they were in fashion. That was enough for me.

That's my 2 cents. Still watching for signs that my hair is coming back - none yet.

Suzanne

I think you have to admit
    I think you have to admit how much this sucks in order to move on. Yes kaye I got that visual, it is funny! not at the time I am sure!
    I have had to have my hiar trimmed twice so it would grow out evenly. so holding on in the hope that some will stay will prob not work. Honestly just bite the bullet, and buzz it. Then YOU are in control. Trust me you will adjust.
  • Chefrox
    Chefrox Member Posts: 32
    Options
    carkris said:

I think you have to admit
    I think you have to admit how much this sucks in order to move on. Yes kaye I got that visual, it is funny! not at the time I am sure!
    I have had to have my hiar trimmed twice so it would grow out evenly. so holding on in the hope that some will stay will prob not work. Honestly just bite the bullet, and buzz it. Then YOU are in control. Trust me you will adjust.

hair loss
    I'm brand new to this, still waiting to see ONC..the 22nd but one thing I do know is that if he says Chemo the head is getting shaved. My hair is long enough to donate and I'd rather do that than to watch it fall out a little at a time. My bro-in-law shaves his head so I told him after they cut the donation part I'd let him shave it down and teach me how to do it.

I have some cute chef hats to wear.....ya'll outta check out the chef wear sites and see some of the cute headwear they have.

Chef Rox
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    Chefrox said:

hair loss
    I'm brand new to this, still waiting to see ONC..the 22nd but one thing I do know is that if he says Chemo the head is getting shaved. My hair is long enough to donate and I'd rather do that than to watch it fall out a little at a time. My bro-in-law shaves his head so I told him after they cut the donation part I'd let him shave it down and teach me how to do it.

I have some cute chef hats to wear.....ya'll outta check out the chef wear sites and see some of the cute headwear they have.

Chef Rox

I did too
    I chose to have mine shaved too. My daughter in law does my sons hair so when mine started coming out I got her to shave it all off. Mine was not long enough to donate but I think that is a a great thing to do. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

I did too
    I chose to have mine shaved too. My daughter in law does my sons hair so when mine started coming out I got her to shave it all off. Mine was not long enough to donate but I think that is a a great thing to do. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

For those that lose in the
    For those that lose in the spring you can put it out for the birds to make a nest. I think the locks of love is a great idea. I did not have long enough hair but if you do it is a positive thing you can get out of this.
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    I was horrified and
    I was horrified and devastated. Not so much that I was losing my hair but what it meant. I had seen that face so often looking back at me in magazines, tv and so forth. It really brought home the reality of cancer and chemo. However, I was a fool! I should have embraced the loss and enjoyed a quick scalp wash while in the shower and not using conditioners and other hair products. Not having to fuss with my hair. I gradually liked not having to worry about my hair. And the curl that comes later is really nice. I know it's hard but if I had to do it again I would enjoy the upside to not having hair.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    TxRn64 said:

Thanks
    Thanks carkris! Funny, people don't recognize me either because I've lost 45 lbs prior to even starting chemo. I guess you have to reintroduce yourself to people but I bet you look great! I'm so happy to hear you are healthy enough to be back and work!

That is a beautiful picture
    That is a beautiful picture of you TxRn! Is that your daughter? She is adorable!
  • jbuff
    jbuff Member Posts: 27
    Options
    4 Hours
    After second A/C treatment, saw my "strands" flying away. I put a disposable shower cap on it to try to keep it on! Ha! The next day I tried to wash it...clumps in my hands and too scared to blow dry it. After it dried, I went to the bathroom and saw my "crooked" part in the mirrow. Picked up the part to straighten it and it just lifted off my scalp! Grabbed another clump and it lifted off with ease too. A good friend offered to cut it off for me when I was first diagnosed but I sat at the kitchen table with the phone in my hand for four hours before I could bring my self to call her. I got to her house, cried...she recently lost her mom...and then sat down in her kitchen. She did it while we laughed and cried. One of the better decisions I made through this whole thing.....couldn't deal with all that hair all over. I thought everyone that looked at me saw a women with a wig...didn't want to go anywhere. Now, when I feel good...I go...with the wig,scarf hat...whatever I feel like wearing and I go out and let people see me! The same person I was before all of this mess!!!
    Don't like to wear them but I have to WORK at getting MY LIFE back!!! and so do you.None of us like the cards we were dealt but it will be how we play this hand that determins our futures. Take a deep breath...one day at a time!
  • HillBillyNana
    HillBillyNana Member Posts: 107
    Options
    jbuff said:

4 Hours
    After second A/C treatment, saw my "strands" flying away. I put a disposable shower cap on it to try to keep it on! Ha! The next day I tried to wash it...clumps in my hands and too scared to blow dry it. After it dried, I went to the bathroom and saw my "crooked" part in the mirrow. Picked up the part to straighten it and it just lifted off my scalp! Grabbed another clump and it lifted off with ease too. A good friend offered to cut it off for me when I was first diagnosed but I sat at the kitchen table with the phone in my hand for four hours before I could bring my self to call her. I got to her house, cried...she recently lost her mom...and then sat down in her kitchen. She did it while we laughed and cried. One of the better decisions I made through this whole thing.....couldn't deal with all that hair all over. I thought everyone that looked at me saw a women with a wig...didn't want to go anywhere. Now, when I feel good...I go...with the wig,scarf hat...whatever I feel like wearing and I go out and let people see me! The same person I was before all of this mess!!!
    Don't like to wear them but I have to WORK at getting MY LIFE back!!! and so do you.None of us like the cards we were dealt but it will be how we play this hand that determins our futures. Take a deep breath...one day at a time!

Memories
    Reading these stories and remembering my own hair loss made me think of when I was little and my hair was very long. I wanted to get a hair cut. My parents gave me permission to get it cut. BUT even so, when I saw my hair falling to the floor, I cried. And it wasn't even all of it!!! I still had hair even though it was short. Then when I was diagnosed with bc, had lumpectomy, chemo, radiation, more chemo, I lost my hair. I had the same feeling, but I fought it back because I knew it would grow back. I knew it was a result of the treatment that would keep me alive for my family. I made a decision - I would not feel sorry for myself and I would not allow anyone to feel sorry for me. So the hair started to come out in the third week after starting chemo. My husband cut it very short, the next day his daughter came and shaved my head. She brought me a beautiful, special head covering. I loved it. I washed the rest of my stubble down the drain. My head (and everything else) was smooth as a baby's bottom for 3 months. I got some BIG earrings. Made up my face and wore hats because my head was cold. And I smiled at everyone that I met. In the store while shopping for more cute hats, a lady walked up to me and said "I wish you had all the pretty hats I have at home. I had that same hairstyle a few years ago." We had a nice little chat. My hair grew back during the 6 weeks of radiation. THen chemo started again and I lost it the second time. By this time I was ready for it. It was summer so I wore baseball caps to keep my head from sunburning. And: IT GREW BACK!!! It has been 6 and a half years since I finished the last of the chemo. I have hair everywhere I had it before. It almost makes me cry to think of you losing your hair, because i can see it is making you sad. But yes, it will grow back. Your heart and your spirit make you feminine. So smile and be happy that you can wash and go. No blow drying or curling or flattening. Just blow and go!!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    jbuff said:

4 Hours

There is a great post here
    There is a great post here with lots of websites for beautiful scarves, hats and other head coverings for anyone taking chemo.

I will bump it up for you.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    joyyee1 said:

I had a bilateral mastectomy
    I had a bilateral mastectomy last December and I handled that WAY better than the hair loss.

I had short and very fine hair but it was MY hair and I missed it. At first, I was very self-conscience about my wig- but that got better, and I even went out one day and bought another wig. The second wig was more "fun" and I named it Gigi!! My first wig is "Helen" and it is more conservative and serious looking. My friends think it's hilarious that I've named my wigs!

I live in the Houston area where it's hot most of the time so the wigs come off the minute I get home!
    My chemo is over and my hair is starting to grow back- but just some fuzz so far. When I'ts long enough- the wig will come off for good! I have made a vow never to complain about my hair again!!

I know just how you feel but hang in there.. it will get better and you may even enjoy your wig!

Joyyee, your post is so
    Joyyee, your post is so hilarious! Love your sense of humor!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣