any others who don't panic or worry (prior to mammo etc)

Options
disneyfan2008
disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had surgery, radiation , tamoxifen etc 2008-i just found this site yesterday-i see many panic, can't sleep waiting for results etc.

I have never had this? Even when they called me back immediatly for another mammo (then biopsy , mri etc) I DID not panic-thought oh it's ok.

I have been going every 3-6mths (this week got the ok once a year) for mammo. I just go to the appts like I had prior to cancer....after reading I feel like I am the only one who does not lose sleep etc. I JUST GOT MY letter from mammo saying all ok..I SHOWED my husband and adult kids-

Comments

• DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on a clean
    Congratulations on a clean mammo! That is really very good news! Now, celebration time!

Hugs, Debby
  • Suzie-Q-Z
    Suzie-Q-Z Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Can't believe I haven't been freaking out either
    So, now I know I'm not alone. I'm not panicking either. I was only diagnosed 2 1/2 months ago, had a mastectomy 2 weeks ago and seem to be recovering rather quickly from that. after about 4 days I felt great. Dr. said they got it all but are going forward with 5 1/2 months of chemo. & hormone therapy that should go through the end of next year. Precautionary only. I feel like I should be freaking out but I'm not. Lots of family and friend support. I guess if I was alone it would be different.
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    Suzie-Q-Z said:

Can't believe I haven't been freaking out either
    So, now I know I'm not alone. I'm not panicking either. I was only diagnosed 2 1/2 months ago, had a mastectomy 2 weeks ago and seem to be recovering rather quickly from that. after about 4 days I felt great. Dr. said they got it all but are going forward with 5 1/2 months of chemo. & hormone therapy that should go through the end of next year. Precautionary only. I feel like I should be freaking out but I'm not. Lots of family and friend support. I guess if I was alone it would be different.

so I am not alone-
    Don't get me wrong..I cried many days...worried about what i would look like an all. But for routine tests etc. I just go like any other Dr appt..

I kept 2 journals the whole time...on occassion look back-yes scared at times of course-but never lose sleep waiting to hear etc.

Glad to hear you are doing okay with it all. The journals helped me-a friend gave me one and cancer center the other (which was book with misc sayings etc and space to write thoughts) Keep up the NOT FREAKING out! & yours is so new 2 1/2 mth and mine 2 1/2 yrs...
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

so I am not alone-
    Don't get me wrong..I cried many days...worried about what i would look like an all. But for routine tests etc. I just go like any other Dr appt..

I kept 2 journals the whole time...on occassion look back-yes scared at times of course-but never lose sleep waiting to hear etc.

Glad to hear you are doing okay with it all. The journals helped me-a friend gave me one and cancer center the other (which was book with misc sayings etc and space to write thoughts) Keep up the NOT FREAKING out! & yours is so new 2 1/2 mth and mine 2 1/2 yrs...

Well .. as I figure it, I right in the middle of things
    8/14/09 .. told I had breast cancer .. chemo 6 months ..plus 1 year of herceptin , 8 surgeries which include a bi lateral mac'ty, staph infection to 1 breast due to a vacation to the Grand Canyon .. reconstruction surgery ..etc .. Yes, I still freak out .. even when I have to go and get a blood panel or pap smear!

What calms me .. is saying to myself .. I've had breast cancer, I bet the odds and I will and can do it, again.

Journaling helped me as well.

Strength and Courage:

Vicki Sam
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Well .. as I figure it, I right in the middle of things
    8/14/09 .. told I had breast cancer .. chemo 6 months ..plus 1 year of herceptin , 8 surgeries which include a bi lateral mac'ty, staph infection to 1 breast due to a vacation to the Grand Canyon .. reconstruction surgery ..etc .. Yes, I still freak out .. even when I have to go and get a blood panel or pap smear!

What calms me .. is saying to myself .. I've had breast cancer, I bet the odds and I will and can do it, again.

Journaling helped me as well.

Strength and Courage:

Vicki Sam

Ativan
    I'v been through a lot too, when I'v got a scan or something else that rattles my cage I take a pill! lol Hugs to all....alison
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Congrats
    on the clear mammo :-) I don't lose sleep over any test. I will no longer be having mammos since I had bilateral mastectomy. My surgeon said I'll have an xray.
    Char
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Congrats
    on the clear mammo :-) I don't lose sleep over any test. I will no longer be having mammos since I had bilateral mastectomy. My surgeon said I'll have an xray.
    Char

I'm so happy with your news.
    I'm so happy with your news. I will have my first post treatment in Jan. and I hope I can keep my anxiety down to a liveable level. We shall see!!! Enjoy your great results.
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    GayleMc said:

I'm so happy with your news.
    I'm so happy with your news. I will have my first post treatment in Jan. and I hope I can keep my anxiety down to a liveable level. We shall see!!! Enjoy your great results.

I have no anxiety, no panic either
    I have never suffered from anxiety, stress, or been depressed. I didn't stress when diagnosed, thru treatments (although I wanted the chemo to be over with) or now when I have tests, or dr. appts. Never lost sleep due to worry. I just don't worry.

I feel like you can only do the best you can do and leave the rest up to God.
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Options
    I am another one
    I am another one who never panic nor had fear nor cried, both times when I was told that I had cancer because I firmly believe that I will live until my 90's. It is comforting to hear that there are others like me.

Hugs
    Janelle
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I'm from 2005....
    Nope, don't panic...just HATE the squishing...I'm in the camp of wanting to know if there is anything, so I can act upon it....my cancerous lump was 10 years feelable (word?) before being biopsied...

and then it took rectal cancer PET scan to find it!!!

I do despise MRI's for breast...only because I have, as it turns out, frozen shoulder from a fall while skating last year on the iced canal outside the house in The Netherlands....putting my arms over my head causes indescribible pain!!!

Also, the prep for a colonoscopy for the rectal cancer checkup...ewwww...but, I still do that, too...

You are not alone...

Hugs, Kathi
  • dee1962
    dee1962 Member Posts: 99
    Options
    I never used to freak out
    I never used to freak out either who knows maybe its a good thing.....whatever works for us.....great news...
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    dee1962 said:

I never used to freak out
    I never used to freak out either who knows maybe its a good thing.....whatever works for us.....great news...

so I am not alone
    I had read many posts losing sleep etc..I said to my husband is it just me...SHOULD i be in panic....

I just think we can't change it..and must go forward....enjoy life with out too much freat of what could/can be...enjoy it while good...