How Did Everyone's Employer's handle your Cancer Situation?

Options
2»

Comments

• luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    EMPLOYER HAS BEEN GREAT
    So far, my employer has been awesome. I work for a large construction company with over 90 offices in the US and Canada. My first 30 days off were on full salary then my Short Term Disability kickes in for the next 60 days. I also have Long Term that will take over sometime in november. I am a GM and by having my computer set up in my home office, I can still run the day to day with some assisstance from my boss and some office staff.

I cannot say enough about them removing that stress from me. As far as Medical Insurance goes, I have always been on my wife's plan as she is in a management role with a local Children's Hospital which is also part of a huge Medical System.

In short, I have been very fortunate.

I thought there are some laws on the books to help protect your job for a while due to Catastrophic Illness??

MIKE
  • JUDYV5
    JUDYV5 Member Posts: 392
    Options

EMPLOYER HAS BEEN GREAT
    So far, my employer has been awesome. I work for a large construction company with over 90 offices in the US and Canada. My first 30 days off were on full salary then my Short Term Disability kickes in for the next 60 days. I also have Long Term that will take over sometime in november. I am a GM and by having my computer set up in my home office, I can still run the day to day with some assisstance from my boss and some office staff.

I cannot say enough about them removing that stress from me. As far as Medical Insurance goes, I have always been on my wife's plan as she is in a management role with a local Children's Hospital which is also part of a huge Medical System.

In short, I have been very fortunate.

I thought there are some laws on the books to help protect your job for a while due to Catastrophic Illness??

MIKE

Employment
    There are laws to protect your job due toe Catastrophic illness. They don't apply in some situations. I hadn't been with my employer for over a year so I didn't quallify for the medical leave act.
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    JUDYV5 said:

Employment
    There are laws to protect your job due toe Catastrophic illness. They don't apply in some situations. I hadn't been with my employer for over a year so I didn't quallify for the medical leave act.

Time off
    I work for a small metalworking company w/70 employees. Health insurance costs have been a major issue in the current and past, but they did right by me. Took 90-days off, and got my full 40-hour paycheck from disability insurance in all but one of the weeks, and my job was waiting for me at the end of those 3-months off. And, they have been great with the additional hours I miss, due to PEG flushes and Dr. appointments, post-treatment.

Having to deal with co-workers who seem to hold you semi-responsible for their higher insurance costs, though, is another matter. We have two insurance plans, and the one I've been on only went up 3%, but the other plan's premiums went up 17%, which seemed odd to me. Did point that out to a couple co-workers, but nobody much cares to hear what they don't wanna hear, you know.

kcass
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Employer was/is Awesome
    As most of you know, I work as a database modeler (planning/forecasting) for a municipality owned electric utility. Ninety-five percent of my responsibility is computer related. Mainly reporting dealing with historical, current and forecasted data.

The day I told my boss about the diagnosis, they set me up with a token and internet access. I did 95% or my work online from home, connecting to my work computers. Occasionally I would attend a department meeting or get together. I did this from January 2 - September 2009.

They were and have been very supportive, never giving me any grief. My boss told me my health and family were first, do what is needed to take care of that first and foremost.

Best,
    John
  • Landranger25
    Landranger25 Member Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Employer was/is Awesome
    As most of you know, I work as a database modeler (planning/forecasting) for a municipality owned electric utility. Ninety-five percent of my responsibility is computer related. Mainly reporting dealing with historical, current and forecasted data.

The day I told my boss about the diagnosis, they set me up with a token and internet access. I did 95% or my work online from home, connecting to my work computers. Occasionally I would attend a department meeting or get together. I did this from January 2 - September 2009.

They were and have been very supportive, never giving me any grief. My boss told me my health and family were first, do what is needed to take care of that first and foremost.

Best,
    John

My reliability is questionable now
    Hi all, haven't been posting too much but still visit regularly. Felt I'd post on this subject as I had my performance review this week. During my treatment my employer/supervisor was great. (I am just over 1 year out SCC base of tongue w/ mets to one node) Missed 13 weeks of work during rads/chemo, returned last November. Worked 2 months and was laid off in January 2010. During my layoff my supervisor's husband was reassigned and she had to quit so now I have a new supervisor. I was called back to work about 6 weeks ago. Anyways, during my performance review I was told that project managers are reluctant to work with me because of my "personal circumstances". I received a "below average/need for improvement" rating under "reliability". I was told to take whatever work was offered without question and try to improve in this area. I was a little cheesed to say the least. Am I just being a little too sensitive here?

Mike
  • JUDYV5
    JUDYV5 Member Posts: 392
    Options

My reliability is questionable now
    Hi all, haven't been posting too much but still visit regularly. Felt I'd post on this subject as I had my performance review this week. During my treatment my employer/supervisor was great. (I am just over 1 year out SCC base of tongue w/ mets to one node) Missed 13 weeks of work during rads/chemo, returned last November. Worked 2 months and was laid off in January 2010. During my layoff my supervisor's husband was reassigned and she had to quit so now I have a new supervisor. I was called back to work about 6 weeks ago. Anyways, during my performance review I was told that project managers are reluctant to work with me because of my "personal circumstances". I received a "below average/need for improvement" rating under "reliability". I was told to take whatever work was offered without question and try to improve in this area. I was a little cheesed to say the least. Am I just being a little too sensitive here?

Mike

OMG
    I would be offended. It sounds like your supervisor is afraid for her job and she is trying to downgrade the performance of people around her. Anyway you can get assigned to a new supervisor. Good Luck