Wednesday was SUPPOSED to be my last day. :'(

Options
KristynRuth
KristynRuth Member Posts: 21
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
So, at the beginning of all this they gave me a calendar that had all my aptmnts on it. Started in the beginning of September and went thru Oct 20. My finish line. So yesterday I went in all excited and the rad tech says"you're in a good mood today!" and I say "Well of course! It's my last day!" she looks at me a little bizarre and says "Uhm, no it's not. Today is day 30 of 33 treatments." I literally felt like 100 pounds fell on my chest as she snapped down the mask and tears just poured. She asked me if I was ok and I muffled out a "mmhmm" as she walked out of the room. Whoever gave me that calendar made a mistake. I know it's only 3 more days, but at this stage of the treatments everyday feels like a million years. So Monday will be my last day. So disappointing.

Comments

• timreichhart
    timreichhart Member Posts: 194
    Options
    I know how you feel
    KristynRuth I know how you feel because radiation doctor did same thing to me. Because I thought I was on my last day and I meet with him and he told me one more day. I was ok whatever then let him check what he needed to check then I left.
  • GraceLibby
    GraceLibby Member Posts: 88
    Options
    How Frustrating!
    Oh Kristyn, I'm so sorry! I know how much you were looking forward to being done. I'm also counting down the days and you have every right to be upset. You deserve a little some extra special for everything you've gone through.
  • KristynRuth
    KristynRuth Member Posts: 21
    Options

How Frustrating!
    Oh Kristyn, I'm so sorry! I know how much you were looking forward to being done. I'm also counting down the days and you have every right to be upset. You deserve a little some extra special for everything you've gone through.

Time, I'm so sorry that
    Time, I'm so sorry that happened to you also! It is almost heart breaking.
    Grace, yep I had those calendars up and was putting giant Xes on everyday down. It was like how could they make that mistake? I'll make itthru and Monday will be here (not quick enough! Lol). Thanks for being so sweet!
  • Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    happened to my husband, too
    His calendar was off by one day but it might as well have been a hundred from the sound in his voice when he called me.

You'll get it through it just fine but I do know it must have been very upsetting.

Hugs, KR.
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristy

I know the feeling, I was told on 25 treatments at the end when they told me 10 more treatments I was one very up-set dude with my Oncl doc.

Like you said it will be over very soon, take care
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Options
    Sorry
    Kristy, I am so sorry that you have to endure 3 more sessions. I know how excited you were to think that it was all over. Maybe if you look at it differently it will help ease your disappointment. Think of it as 3 more chances to blast away at the cancer.

Sorry again that you are having to go through this.

Stay strong,
    Glenna
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    HANG IN THERE
    I know how hard it is to not have a deadline come to fruition. You are strong, you can do this.

Mike
  • JUDYV5
    JUDYV5 Member Posts: 392
    Options
    So sorry that you have to endure more of this
    My last dose of chemo was postponed a week because of low blood counts. I was devestated.
    I wanted it to be over so badly. We will all count down with you.
  • forme
    forme Member Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    so sorry
    Hi Kristyn,
    I am so sorry that your doc made a mistake in your calendar. It happens all the time.
    I just found out yesterday that i have mets to my jaw and parotid gland. This was not told to me when I had my scans many weeks ago. It doesn't change my upcoming rads, but it should have been told to me anyway. I am trying to find out why I was not told and who messed up...
    Peaceful healing
    Lisha
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    forme said:

so sorry
    Hi Kristyn,
    I am so sorry that your doc made a mistake in your calendar. It happens all the time.
    I just found out yesterday that i have mets to my jaw and parotid gland. This was not told to me when I had my scans many weeks ago. It doesn't change my upcoming rads, but it should have been told to me anyway. I am trying to find out why I was not told and who messed up...
    Peaceful healing
    Lisha

Oh man.
    That really sucks. I cannot imagine how dissappointing that must have been for you. But at least you will be done on Monday. Hang in there.
  • plangdon
    plangdon Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Deja' Vu'
    Wow, I was told the same thing today. I went in for #17 rad out of 35 and said tomorrow I'll be half way through. The rad technician said he thinks the dr wants to do more targeted sessions at the end. Plus, my 2nd chemo session was cancelled due to low white blood count. Hang in there Kristyn Ruth. It will be over before you know it...

Pat
  • DJG1
    DJG1 Member Posts: 121
    Options
    plangdon said:

Deja' Vu'
    Wow, I was told the same thing today. I went in for #17 rad out of 35 and said tomorrow I'll be half way through. The rad technician said he thinks the dr wants to do more targeted sessions at the end. Plus, my 2nd chemo session was cancelled due to low white blood count. Hang in there Kristyn Ruth. It will be over before you know it...

Pat

Hang In There
    Kristry, So sorry to hear about the Graduation Date being moved to next week. Hang in there girl, you are doing great! You are an inspiration for me. I am right behind you. Today was 25/33..8 LEFT. Deb
  • rozaroo
    rozaroo Member Posts: 665
    Options
    DJG1 said:

Hang In There
    Kristry, So sorry to hear about the Graduation Date being moved to next week. Hang in there girl, you are doing great! You are an inspiration for me. I am right behind you. Today was 25/33..8 LEFT. Deb

Krystn
    Hang in there! I know it's hard when you are counting down the last day's. You are a trooper & are doing so great. It will all be over soon.
    Hugg's roz
  • hawk711
    hawk711 Member Posts: 566
    Options
    Kristyn
    Hey Kiddo,
    Do what I did on my last day, stomp on the mask and tell them to throw it away !!! 3 more times is a **** but you can do it....you've done this many. Just 3 more and by now it is just 2 more.....I'll be thinking good thoughts for you...
    Steve
  • stevenl
    stevenl Member Posts: 587
    Options
    hawk711 said:

Kristyn
    Hey Kiddo,
    Do what I did on my last day, stomp on the mask and tell them to throw it away !!! 3 more times is a **** but you can do it....you've done this many. Just 3 more and by now it is just 2 more.....I'll be thinking good thoughts for you...
    Steve

somewhat
    Hi Kristyn,

I went through kind of the same thing when the machine was broke down for 3 or 4 days in a row. My end date was near so I told them I would do 2 a day to catch up and finish on a Friday. They agreed and it happened, just like it will happen for you. It will soon end!!!
    Then the healing can begin. You sound like a strong gal so hang tough. God bless you.

Best,
    Steve
  • fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Bummer
    Sure is bummer of news to get what you thought was your last day. For me they added 5 a couple days from the original end. None of them are easy the nice thing is they will be over soon.

Prayers being sent for the days to go fast.

John
  • D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, baby!
    You've got ONE more treatment left. You CAN do this. Just picture in your mind what you will do to the mask when you are done. As suggested above, you could stomp on it. You might carry it out to the parking lot and put it down behind the rear wheels of your car and back over it.

We will be cheering for you on Monday.

Deb
  • Kimba1505
    Kimba1505 Member Posts: 557
    Options
    D Lewis said:

Hang in there, baby!
    You've got ONE more treatment left. You CAN do this. Just picture in your mind what you will do to the mask when you are done. As suggested above, you could stomp on it. You might carry it out to the parking lot and put it down behind the rear wheels of your car and back over it.

We will be cheering for you on Monday.

Deb

Tomorrow's THE day...right?
    KristynRuth...Wishing you the best for tomorrow as you bid the machine a farewell.
    Thinking of you...it is a monumental day that you will always remember. I will always be able to recite the date of diagnosis and the day treatment ended.
    Kim
  • JUDYV5
    JUDYV5 Member Posts: 392
    Options
    One more day
    One more day and you will be done. What a wonderful day.
  • Kimba1505
    Kimba1505 Member Posts: 557
    Options
    JUDYV5 said:

One more day
    One more day and you will be done. What a wonderful day.

Moving this to the top...Kristyn, thinking of you...
    Frustrated that the spam email has bumped important posts to the bottom.

Go girl...get this done.
    Kim