Just wanted to post a update

Options
nancyann3
nancyann3 Member Posts: 173 Member
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Its been awhile sinse I posted a update on hubby. He is doing well. He is currently in treatment as out patient. We go two mondays then off a monday. We have completed two of these rounds and ready for a week off. He is tolerating it well. We did have low blood counts one week, but they bounced back so chemo resumed. He is eating well and we use the J-tube for added calories. His lowest weight since then began was 143 and he is back up to 160. At last doctor visit, the doc was impressed on how well he looked and stated he thinks the cancer is shrinking. They are planning to scan again the 14th. We're hoping to become a surgical candidate again.

I continue to read and learn everyday. Thanks all.

Nancy

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Hello Nancy
    Thank you for

Hello Nancy
    Thank you for the wonderful update on your husband! That is great news. Rejoice in this moment. Live for today because tomorrow has enough worries of its own! May peace continue to be with all of you. Stay in touch.
    Tina in Va
  • nancyann3
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

What will you do with all that money...
    Watch out Bill Gates, here come the Marshalls....lol

Thanks for your reply. Steve was staged at 3. We had a stent placed and
    it caused a bunch of trouble.It worked, but was uncomfortable. Also with each PET scan it showed
    the stent had moved.
    We went through 3 rounds of in hospital chemo
    consisting of 5-fu, cisplantin, doxitaxil. The docs were really
    happy with his response to the chemo
    and we were getting ready for surgery.
    Then DVT hit with multiple emboli going to each lung. The surgeon wanted to wait for some healing
    from the clots before surgery. On june 30th had another scan and according to the scan the cancer had grown.
    and we were no longer a candidate for surgery, but still not other organs involved. During this time the stent was causing more and more
    problems until it finally moved enough to let the esophagus completely occlude again. So on July 14th a new stent and J=tube was placed.
    This stent has caused no problems at all so far. He eats anything he wants. The aug PET showed the cancer had not changed. No growth. We started outpatient chemo in Late aug. consiting of
    5-fu, cisplatin and irontecan?(sp) He has had two rounds and doing well.

He is able to eat what he wants and we use the tube for xtra calories. I give him home hydration the day after chemo and he has been staying on top of hydration by drinking a lot of gatorade and water.
    Since the new stent, his weight has picked up. and the jtube is wonderful for sneaking in the xtra when he really isn't hungry.
    He has his shakes of carnation breakfast, whey protien and whatever other fattining stuff I can find to stick in it.
    eats what he wants all day, then at bedtime we put a can of ensure in the tube.
    He has a good attitude now and really has improved. I am very proud of him.

I really question the June 30th scan. I wonder if the scan was lighting up cancer OR lighting up to the irritation that old stent was causing.
    Even the med onc said that the nodes lighting up could be just reacting and not cancer. I have questioned this all along and the med onc knows my therory.

He is baffling the docs, I can see it in their eyes when we seen them. I am pretty know at the clinic and hosp and Steve's caregiver. They know they have to go through me first and I have been called the
    "talker" of the pair.....lol. What they dont know, is I have a secret weapon in my caregiver arsinal. All of you... you all are my rock and I come here everyday to learn and draw strength to continue on.

Nancy
  • nancyann3
    Options

Hello Nancy
    Thank you for

Hello Nancy
    Thank you for the wonderful update on your husband! That is great news. Rejoice in this moment. Live for today because tomorrow has enough worries of its own! May peace continue to be with all of you. Stay in touch.
    Tina in Va

Thanks Tina
    Thanks for your reply. We are enjoying each other and our kids. Hoping it can continue.

Take care