How long have you survived

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Dr_ROZ
    Dr_ROZ Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

47 years since total parotidectomy due to a Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma in the left Parotid Gland followed up with External Beam Radiation Therapy 7,000 RAD max [70 Gray] three times a week for 6 weeks. The concern of osteoradionecrosis has been present the whole time, but so far has not been an issue. My story is not over as a recent MRI for another reason identified a mass on my right parotid. A fine needle biopsy classified as a Benign Pleomorphic Adenoma.  Surgery is scheduled with the hope it the pathology remains classified as a non-cancerous tumor. 

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Hello Dr. Roz, and welcome to the CSN H&N discussion forum.

I would recommend you check out the Superthread at the top of the page there are loads of information in there with links and you will find it helpful.

I believe you are the only person on here and probably almost any forum that would go back that far, 47 years ago for cancer treatment. You had the hardcore radiation in those days. I am sorry all these years you have been cancer-free and now some kind of growth has shown up. Hopefully, it is as they say it is benign and can be easily excised. Praying for a smooth operation with no complications. And you mentioned osteoradionecrosis, I believe that is all head and neck patients' worst fear. Dr. Roz are you a doctor? If so what kind of doctor are you? Just wondering and good to have you on the forum.

Our Motto On Here is NEGU (Never Ever Give Up)

Take Care, God Bless

Russ

• Dr_ROZ
    Options

My doctoral degree is in education, so I help the mind not the body.

• wbcgaruss
    Options

Very good Roz, with all the stress and emotions involved in these cancer situations we can always use a little mind help.

Take care, God Bless

Russ

• Dr_ROZ
    Options

Good news - My surgery was last week and the lab analysis confirms the mass in my right parotid was a Benign Pleomorphic Adenoma. I am happy it is out of my body so it does not grow any bigger (Graded as a "T2 hyperintense mass"), or turn malignant at a later date. The Surgeon was great and I have very little nerve function loss at the one-week mark. Much better than the one done 48 years ago this month on the parotid on the left side which was bigger and malignant.

• wbcgaruss
    Options

Well, Dr_ROZ, this is good news. It is nice to have good news here on the forum. Not only was your tumor benign but was removed by surgery successfully with very little nerve function loss. You must have had a very good surgeon. Hopefully, this is the last time you have to go through any tumors or surgery, who needs it anyway. I am so glad that this turned out so well for you.

I celebrate with you.....

Wishing You The Best

Take Care, God Bless

Russ

• Mavish
    Mavish Member Posts: 84 Member
    Options

I am happy for you. Thank you for sharing good news. God bless