13»

Comments

• Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    aysemari said:

Exercise on chemo
    Hello Dolphingirl,

I am so glad you are taking us along on your journey, we are great company.

My chemo was Taxotere/Carbo and still doing Herceptin. My biggest complaint
    is the fatigue and the weight gain. I had a lot of problems with the steroids, like
    weight gain after my first treatment, when I got back I had gained already 10 pounds.
    Also I had issues sleeping. Not to push drugs on you but I would recommend to take
    the sleeping, the nausea pills and the pain pills. I resisted at first but that was foolish.
    Also 1-2 days prior to your chemo start taking stool softeners the pre-meds and the
    painkillers can cause you constipation of the worst kind - trust me on that, you don't
    want to go through that.

I tried to keep up with exercise but I was waaaaay below my usual level. I mean WAAAAY
    below! My mind and body were at war. One time it took me all of Saturday just to clean
    up my living room - dusting, putting things away, vacuuming and mopping the floor.
    I was so frustrated!! I took my daily 20 min walks but that's all I could do. So be gentle
    to yourself and don't push yourself too hard. Try to make it enjoyable, read, write - I
    watched a lot of documentaries enough to keep me interested but not too complicated.

My biggest advice to you is drink water, drink it often and drink a lot. It also helps with
    constipation. I always felt my intestines crunching up and it was painful. I also started
    drinking Coconut water, it is very beneficial during chemo you can look it up my thread
    MUST READ - for all the chemo babes.

I lost all my hair, and I was very glad that I cut it real short before hand. I remember
    driving with my windows open and thinking my head hurts and sure enough my hair
    was being blown away. Get a really soft hat or scarf, my head was very sensitive when
    I lost my hair.

Make sure you have good support system, a few good friends make a huge difference.
    Sadly you will see some people pulling away but that can't be helped. Also for me
    my cats were a great source of consolation. They were always there, made me get up
    to let them out and fee them, no matter what.

Pheeewww... I wrote a novel, sorrry.

Hugs,
    Ayse

I was very fortunate to not
    I was very fortunate to not have to have chemo. But, wishing you the best of luck with your treatments. You have already been given such great advice here by those that did go through it. Good luck!