Starting Chemo Thursday

Options

Comments

• Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    Options
    Wife Finished her AC
    My wife finished her 4 AC treatments as just had her first of four Taxol treatments. So far the hair is mostly gone, she had it clipped to a little buzz about day 13 when her hair started falling out, but a little bit is holding on. They gave her Emend, Decadron and Zofran for nausea. The emend (also in the chemo drip) she took the day of and next two days following chemo. The Decadron was a steroid which she took the night of chemo and twice a day the next two days. The Zofran was just an extra; just in case nausea med that she needed here and there.

She did the ice after the first round and thought it helped her tongue not have that burnt tongue feeling. She took Claratin for possible pain from the Nuelasta shot for four days. She ate some crackers during the chemo and had a box on her night stand. For her, keeping something in her stomach helped. She had issues with her blood pressure dropping about two days after the treatment lasting for two days.

The chemo crash... three days after, lasting for various amounts of time each cycle was the hardest part of it. That's when her spirits were at their lowest. She made it through and you will too!!!

Good Luck

Bob
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Mama G said:

I'm from Florida, too ~ Sebastian
    I'm so sorry every time I read about a new young woman facing this disease. Just not fair.
    Everyone handles the Chemo differently, so just think about foods that you'd like to eat if you had the flu and have them around. I was able to eat hardboiled eggs, crackers, apples, bananas, and ginger ale. The only time I puked was when I drank some herbal tea. Go figure.... Good luck to you and hopefully you'll feel our prayers with you the whole time.

Nausea -before I forget
    What really helped me with nausea was Ginger tea (I used the Yogi brand).
    Also Trader Joe's has dried ginger strips, great snack to have around to
    fight the nausea.

Ayse
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    weazer said:

Well Wishes and Prayers
    Hello,
    I wish I would of known about this board when I was going through my treatments.
    Your in the right place and there is so much support here and a whole lot of Love.

Take care and Good Luck sweetie....Karie

Sending positive thoughts
    Sending positive thoughts and good luck for your first chemo!
  • FLDolphinGirl
    FLDolphinGirl Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hubby said:

Wife Finished her AC
    My wife finished her 4 AC treatments as just had her first of four Taxol treatments. So far the hair is mostly gone, she had it clipped to a little buzz about day 13 when her hair started falling out, but a little bit is holding on. They gave her Emend, Decadron and Zofran for nausea. The emend (also in the chemo drip) she took the day of and next two days following chemo. The Decadron was a steroid which she took the night of chemo and twice a day the next two days. The Zofran was just an extra; just in case nausea med that she needed here and there.

She did the ice after the first round and thought it helped her tongue not have that burnt tongue feeling. She took Claratin for possible pain from the Nuelasta shot for four days. She ate some crackers during the chemo and had a box on her night stand. For her, keeping something in her stomach helped. She had issues with her blood pressure dropping about two days after the treatment lasting for two days.

The chemo crash... three days after, lasting for various amounts of time each cycle was the hardest part of it. That's when her spirits were at their lowest. She made it through and you will too!!!

Good Luck

Bob

Again, a Big Thank You
    to everyone who shared their experience and very helpful advice. It is much appreciated!
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Options

Again, a Big Thank You
    to everyone who shared their experience and very helpful advice. It is much appreciated!

Hope it went good for you.
    Hope it went good for you. You mentioned being out in public through chemo. No problem with that unless your WBC is really low, then you will be prone to catching something really easily. You will probably have to have your counts done every week. Mine only got really low once and lab called me a couple hours later and said to "lock down" which meant to stay out of crowds, wash hands alot, not eat raw fruits/veggies (anything without a thick peel), especially salads, till the count went up, which only took a few days.

Take care, Cindy
  • jackiejhm
    jackiejhm Member Posts: 169
    Options
    OK
    Well!
    This is AFTER your first chemo-oops. So I'll bet the experience was a wee bit better than you expected? I sure hope so. I have a couple of tidbits for you. I am an avid runner and gym rat. My Onc put the gym- thing on hold while I was doing chemo- too many germs. I was pretty tired and drugged during my chemo process. I continued running up until my 3rd treatment. Then... I walked...then I was dragged by my sweet Border Collie Maxx! Bless his heart, he kept me moving! If you do not have a JUICER- borrow one or buy one. I got mine at walmart for $39. It's a GE. Then get your hands on a lot of vegies- organic if you can, and start juicing. All those nutrients main lined right to your body- excellent stuff! Now, I also picked up this comfort food habit- Too many Tofuti Cuties. They just made me happy....Sigh. Okay- I gained weight. My Onc said that my less-active life + tofuti cuties probably did it to me , along with all the steroids...but, Three months after chemo, It's all coming off now!
    Please hang in there- If I can do this -YOU can too!!! It's a tough row to hoe- We are right here with you!! Keep us posted! xoxo, Jackie
  • cookie97
    cookie97 Member Posts: 200
    Options
    Hope things went well.
    Hope things went well for you and you're feeling okay today.
    Try to enjoy your week end,
    Edie
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    cookie97 said:

Hope things went well.
    Hope things went well for you and you're feeling okay today.
    Try to enjoy your week end,
    Edie

Its impossible to be totally
    Its impossible to be totally prepared because everyone experiences chemo differently. I pretty much dragged myself through it, but as you see others and many do very well. One thing , I found the chemo rooms cold, they do give you blankets but I made sure I had my socks, and my sweatshirt or sweater. still do for appointments. keep us posted , everyone here will help you . so I guess you did the best "prep" by connecting here.
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Hope you did good yesterday
    Hope you did good yesterday & are resting comfortably! Mine kicked my butt today but I'm hangin in there :) I'm glad to have it down though - 2 down, 4 to go! Hair is coming out in bigger clumps when i give it a soft tug but so far no major shedding on my pillow, shoulders, etc...it's really short already but I'm not ready to give it up quite yet...if it gets to the point where I have bald spots or unbearable thinning, my husband is ready with clippers in hand to buzz me! I'll have to get all dolled up in my new super blonde wig & take a pic to put on here -quite the bombshell look & not foe everyday use but when I wanna look fabulous, I'll wear it. I got it from a cancer center in my town, for free, and it still had the $280 price tag on it! yikes!!!
    Sorry to go off the subject a little there! I'm looking forward to hearing from you when you're feeling up to it! Hang in there! We're doin this sister!
    *hugs*
    heather
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

Hope you did good yesterday
    Hope you did good yesterday & are resting comfortably! Mine kicked my butt today but I'm hangin in there :) I'm glad to have it down though - 2 down, 4 to go! Hair is coming out in bigger clumps when i give it a soft tug but so far no major shedding on my pillow, shoulders, etc...it's really short already but I'm not ready to give it up quite yet...if it gets to the point where I have bald spots or unbearable thinning, my husband is ready with clippers in hand to buzz me! I'll have to get all dolled up in my new super blonde wig & take a pic to put on here -quite the bombshell look & not foe everyday use but when I wanna look fabulous, I'll wear it. I got it from a cancer center in my town, for free, and it still had the $280 price tag on it! yikes!!!
    Sorry to go off the subject a little there! I'm looking forward to hearing from you when you're feeling up to it! Hang in there! We're doin this sister!
    *hugs*
    heather

Chemo Queens .. and I do mean Queens ... chemo takes
    so much out of us .. I am thankful for those sisters who do not have many side efforts! However for those of us who continuious have fatigued, insomina, vomiting and blood blustered feet .. I offer you sister in PINK, -HOPE-. There is life after chemo treatments even for those of you going onto RAD's. Take each day as it comes, be kind to yourself - try to rest when possible. I know by now .. you are all thinking ... silling crazy VickiSam .. she doesn't know what she is talking about .. awwhhhh, but I do. Some of you may expereince dark days - crying may become you new best freind - all I can offer you is HOPE .. tomorrow will be brighter - in form or another.

If something doesn't feel right, call your Oncologist - okay put his/her number on speed dial - call - it doesn't matter if its night or week-ends.

If a neighbor or friend offers a dinner, take them up on it.

Contact your local ACS office - see if there is the 'Chemo' house cleaning service available to you ..

Shared child care services ... also a service offered at ACS or local Churches.

Open your mind and hearts - as strangers can become you new best friends - Help and support come from the darnest people and places - I will swear by it.

One last things .. please know that we are here for all of you, 24/7 .. with 100 years of cummulative experience -

Stength and Courage to all you Chemo Queens - from someone who didn't think she would cross that finish line .. just a few short months ago.

Vicki SAm
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    FLDolfin Girl
    I hope chemo was ok on Thursday. When you're feeling up to it let us know how you're doing. {{hugs}} Char
  • FLDolphinGirl
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

FLDolfin Girl
    I hope chemo was ok on Thursday. When you're feeling up to it let us know how you're doing. {{hugs}} Char

One down!
    And I'm grateful that my side effects have been reasonably tolerable so far.

My Thusday experience: CBC was done just before chemo and my counts were lovely. Then I grilled my onc with questions for 20 minutes. Then I went to the treatment room. I thought it would be a small, cozy area--I had been to several infusion rooms previously when my grandmother went for infusions to treat her osteoporosis. But this place was the size of a small gymnasium with two nurses islands in the middle, and patients were lined up all along the walls, all staring at each other. Kinda weird at first. I was nervous. They numbed up my port, took a couple tubes of blood, then gave me pre-meds: Aloxi, Dexadron, Emend, and Ativan. Then the fun part. A (Big Red) by slow injection (I sucked on ice during this), then C by drip. And that was it.

I felt pretty good afterward. I felt so well that evening that I decided to go with my aunt to WalMart to pick up my meds. Well the Ativan wore off about the time I set foot in the store and I got a queasy feeling. Also needed to take deeper breaths and walk slowly. Once I got home and took an Ativan, I felt better pretty quick. It works quite well for me. It also helps me sleep at night, or sometimes I will trade out for a Xanax instead if my stomach feels well. I get more sleep hours from 1/2 a xanax--nine hours on Friday night! That was wonderful.

So far my usual healthy food tastes good. I noticed I have to be careful not to eat quite as much as usual at one time. If I get that slight queasy feeling, I eat a couple of salty crackers and that generally helps. My stomach overall is coping pretty well so far, and I'm thankful for that. I love to eat.

I haven't had major fatigue so far. At bedtime, I'm usually much more tired that normal, but that's the main time I notice it. I'm able to do a few chores around the house and some of my exercise. I walked a mile the day after chemo. That was a little much, but the following day I did 2 miles total and it felt good. This morning I got in a mile slowly, and hope to do more later in the day if I feel like it.

Do any of you take the Neulasta shots for building up white blood cells? I had a shot on Friday. No ill effects so far, thankfully. It seems like they would try a round without it first to see how my WBC count does on its own. I don't like adding unnecessary potential side effects. If you've had Neulasta, how has it worked for you?

One problem that has cropped up is that I suddenly lost much of my bladder control. Is this common with the drugs I'm taking? It started the night of chemo; made it to the bathroom but not the toilet and had to change clothes. Is it likely to be the steroids causing this?

All in all, it has not been bad so far.

MomMichelle, I think you started chemo the same day I did--how did that go for you? How are you doing? And Heather had her second round the day after mine. Heather, from your comments I'm guessing it was a little rougher this time? What happened? And how are you feeling now?

I'm so grateful to all of you who share and care. Hugs and prayers to all!
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    My advice
    You can drink too much water if not eating right.
    I had trouble eating with side affects that included plenty of nausea. I was sick right through diagnosis and treatments and found if I couldn't eat it, drink it. Sometimes eating takes allot of energy and digestion that we just don't have so drinking milk shakes and boost or ensure or even blending fruit smoothies is a great way to get nutrition and keeping one's strength up.
    If you find yourself in pain address the pain so it doesn't get out of control since much harder to correct once suffering for a long period of time. We are glad that you found this site and for me after 14 years of survival I still come here to get more advice.
    We will be thinking of you
    Tara
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options

One down!

My Thusday experience: CBC was done just before chemo and my counts were lovely. Then I grilled my onc with questions for 20 minutes. Then I went to the treatment room. I thought it would be a small, cozy area--I had been to several infusion rooms previously when my grandmother went for infusions to treat her osteoporosis. But this place was the size of a small gymnasium with two nurses islands in the middle, and patients were lined up all along the walls, all staring at each other. Kinda weird at first. I was nervous. They numbed up my port, took a couple tubes of blood, then gave me pre-meds: Aloxi, Dexadron, Emend, and Ativan. Then the fun part. A (Big Red) by slow injection (I sucked on ice during this), then C by drip. And that was it.

I felt pretty good afterward. I felt so well that evening that I decided to go with my aunt to WalMart to pick up my meds. Well the Ativan wore off about the time I set foot in the store and I got a queasy feeling. Also needed to take deeper breaths and walk slowly. Once I got home and took an Ativan, I felt better pretty quick. It works quite well for me. It also helps me sleep at night, or sometimes I will trade out for a Xanax instead if my stomach feels well. I get more sleep hours from 1/2 a xanax--nine hours on Friday night! That was wonderful.

So far my usual healthy food tastes good. I noticed I have to be careful not to eat quite as much as usual at one time. If I get that slight queasy feeling, I eat a couple of salty crackers and that generally helps. My stomach overall is coping pretty well so far, and I'm thankful for that. I love to eat.

I haven't had major fatigue so far. At bedtime, I'm usually much more tired that normal, but that's the main time I notice it. I'm able to do a few chores around the house and some of my exercise. I walked a mile the day after chemo. That was a little much, but the following day I did 2 miles total and it felt good. This morning I got in a mile slowly, and hope to do more later in the day if I feel like it.

Do any of you take the Neulasta shots for building up white blood cells? I had a shot on Friday. No ill effects so far, thankfully. It seems like they would try a round without it first to see how my WBC count does on its own. I don't like adding unnecessary potential side effects. If you've had Neulasta, how has it worked for you?

One problem that has cropped up is that I suddenly lost much of my bladder control. Is this common with the drugs I'm taking? It started the night of chemo; made it to the bathroom but not the toilet and had to change clothes. Is it likely to be the steroids causing this?

MomMichelle, I think you started chemo the same day I did--how did that go for you? How are you doing? And Heather had her second round the day after mine. Heather, from your comments I'm guessing it was a little rougher this time? What happened? And how are you feeling now?

Glad to hear your first chemo wasn't so bad.
    Just think one down! Yay!. I also had the neulasta shot after my first 3 chemo treatments. My onc also decided that I should have the shot, even before I had my first treatment. Luckily, I didn't have any side effects either. I have my 4th & last chemo this Wednesday, and will have my last neulasta shot on Thursday. Woohoo!

As far as your bladder control, I'm not sure. Did you drink, drink, drink & drink some more before and after your chemo? If you listened to all of the posts that told you to hydrate (which is a definite must), that may have been part of it. I'm at that age where I have to pee all the time anyway, so I didn't notice a change! Hugs, Jean
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options

One down!

Thanks for checking in on me
    Thanks for checking in on me - I'm doing ok - I was in alot of pain on Friday after my chemo - actually had been having back, shoulder, and hip/leg pain. The on-call nurse called in some pain meds for me and that helped out. They think it's the neulasta that's causing the pain. It seems like if I'm on my feet for an extended amount of time my back - from across my shoulders and down my spine just hurt like hell. I'm going to try to muster up the energy to get back on with my yoga routine to see if that will help, I did some last night and it felt better. But, I don't feel pukey sick - just a little icky every now & then, my appetite is at about 60%. I started taking a stool softener/laxative the day before my chemo so I didn't have the painful constipation problems like I had with my first chemo. My hair is really really falling out...big clump in the shower, leaving little trails wherever i go lol...it's like i'm shedding...not bad enough where I'm ready to shave it off yet, but when i start getting bald spots or it starts looking really bad, then we'll get the clippers out. I've been preparing myself as best as I can for this.
    Glad to hear that you're feeling pretty alright. All in all, my 2nd one wasn't as bad as my first - so far at least! And with 2 out of 6 done, I'm already 1/3 of the way done!
    *big hugs*
    Heather
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    So glad to hear
    that you've survived your first chemo and Neulasta shot without too many side effects. Whew! One done is a great feeling, right! I do get the Neulasta shot and about 3 days later I am very very sore especially across the back from shoulder to shoulder as Heather described. I found that extra strength Tylenol at bedtime works very well for me. Tomorrow is 2 weeks since 1st chemo and I'm doing ok except for the fact that my face broke out with horrible looking pimples last Saturday. I really can't complain though. My blood count last Tuesday (one week after chemo) was good. WBC was high and RBC was just a tad low. My next blood work is tomorrow and chemo #2 is next Tuesday. Leaving right now for PET scan. {{hugs}}
    Char
  • morgansfaux
    morgansfaux Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Starting Chemo
    I was very active before my breast cancer and am finally able to get back into the gym now four days a week. My doctors didn't have any 'dos and donts' relative to eating, I think because after chemo you don't really feel like eating, at least that is how I reacted. I was on Taxotere and Cytoxin chemotherapy. For me everything tasted just like they said it would 'like metal' and the only thing that tasted okay to me was mashed potatoes or mac and cheese, which normally I never ate. I had no vomiting during my four months of chemo, but was nautious most all the time eventhough I had about six different meds I could take for that. Chemo knocks the wind out of you, there was no way I could continue to lift weights or even think about going to the gym. Also for me my white counts sometimes got so low I was told to stay home (what I refered to as my 'bat cave') and to not have visitors until the white counts came back up. I was also getting a shot the day after each chemo to hopefully alliviate the low white counts (Nulasta shot), but it didn't help me much. I started a fever from .99 to 102 starting about day 7 for a week after each chemo when that happens they started antibiotics for five days. I usually got to feeling like eating a meal about three days before my next chemo...whoopee! Then the process started over. I think it really depends on the type of chemo you are put on and how your particular body tolerates it as to whether you can continue to exercise or feel like eating. In my case I wasn't back in the gym till after I finished all the chemo and started radiation. All this just to tell you it does end, I finished all treatment in February of this year and other than being a little tired in the afternoons, I am back to all normal activity!

For my type of chemo I was told I had 100% chance of losing my hair, eyelashes, eyebrows, etc. So on day nine I went to my hairdresser and had my beautiful long straight blonde hair buzzed off to what I called a No. 1 cop burr. It gave me a feeling of control at least over when my hair would start falling out. I got two wigs each cost $300 and insurance covered one. I probably wore them a total of two or three times as they are hot and would give me a headache. I chose to find cute hats and put sparkly pins on them, much more comfortable. I was bald then from the time I started chemo in August 2009 till January 2010 when my hair started coming back in. It is now about three inches long, thick and very curly (never had been before). So that's the bad news, but it grows back!

Hang in there, you can do this and you have lots of support here on this website. Join in the 'chat' room if you'd like to chat!

Morgansfaux
  • FLDolphinGirl
    Options

Thanks for checking in on me
    Thanks for checking in on me - I'm doing ok - I was in alot of pain on Friday after my chemo - actually had been having back, shoulder, and hip/leg pain. The on-call nurse called in some pain meds for me and that helped out. They think it's the neulasta that's causing the pain. It seems like if I'm on my feet for an extended amount of time my back - from across my shoulders and down my spine just hurt like hell. I'm going to try to muster up the energy to get back on with my yoga routine to see if that will help, I did some last night and it felt better. But, I don't feel pukey sick - just a little icky every now & then, my appetite is at about 60%. I started taking a stool softener/laxative the day before my chemo so I didn't have the painful constipation problems like I had with my first chemo. My hair is really really falling out...big clump in the shower, leaving little trails wherever i go lol...it's like i'm shedding...not bad enough where I'm ready to shave it off yet, but when i start getting bald spots or it starts looking really bad, then we'll get the clippers out. I've been preparing myself as best as I can for this.
    Glad to hear that you're feeling pretty alright. All in all, my 2nd one wasn't as bad as my first - so far at least! And with 2 out of 6 done, I'm already 1/3 of the way done!
    *big hugs*
    Heather

Neulasta pain
    Heather, so sorry you've been having that pain problem and hope it's better now. My first 2 days were okay but my head is getting foggy and I don't feel as good so it's harder to be cheery. I'm feeling sad part of the time. Since yesterday evening I've been having soreness in the back of my neck/head, across the top of my shoulders, some points on my jawline and face, and my adam's apple. Does that sound like the Neulasta also? My neck is not stiff or anything like that, and I don't have any fever (I checked). Just wondered if you or anyone reading this has had a similar side effect.

Sorry about your hair. We're trying to be brave about it, but it really stinks to lose your hair. I think I'll cry like a baby when mine falls out. Then I'll just have to buck up and put that wig to use or just throw on a hat. I'll be interested to see your wig. Sounds like a fun one!

Hang in there!
    FLDolphinGirl
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

So glad to hear
    that you've survived your first chemo and Neulasta shot without too many side effects. Whew! One done is a great feeling, right! I do get the Neulasta shot and about 3 days later I am very very sore especially across the back from shoulder to shoulder as Heather described. I found that extra strength Tylenol at bedtime works very well for me. Tomorrow is 2 weeks since 1st chemo and I'm doing ok except for the fact that my face broke out with horrible looking pimples last Saturday. I really can't complain though. My blood count last Tuesday (one week after chemo) was good. WBC was high and RBC was just a tad low. My next blood work is tomorrow and chemo #2 is next Tuesday. Leaving right now for PET scan. {{hugs}}
    Char

Glad that the first chemo is
    Glad that the first chemo is done now! Good luck to you!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Wishing you the best. I am 5
    Wishing you the best. I am 5 wks. out of chemo. I had TC but did very well during treatments. Like they say a positive attitude is a must I think, I went in saying I am going to do this and I am going to be fine! I was never sick, the worst was being tired and constipation yuck. Like you said water, water, water. I can't add to much. I do tend to have dry skin so a good moisturizing lotion is important. I always took a snack, a sandwich one time when it was right at lunch. Just wanted to send you best wishes, keep us posted. God Bless (((Hugs))) Janice

I join in wishing you good
    I join in wishing you good luck with chemo!

Hugs, Debby