Options
13»

Comments

• Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Snowkitty said:

What about a "Horoscope" email from friend
    So, this friend always sends me stupid chain emails. I have told here if I have to send it to 10 people in 10 minutes, delete me from that list.

So I get this email with Horoscope in the subject line, check it out, and it says if I don't send it to 10 people in 10 minutes I will wake up the next day to something bad happening.

I immediately replied to her that I wasn't sending it to 10 people and I was going to wake up to something bad anyways cause it was my first day at chemo.

I hope she got it.

Cindy

I, too, am not a big fan of
    I, too, am not a big fan of 'pink'. My sister (also a BC survivor) suggested that she and I and our daughters all go and get a pink ribbon tattoo. I said thanks, but no thanks. I'm not really the tattoo type and if I were to get one it wouldn't be a pink ribbon!

I have, however, taken to playing the 'cancer card' at every opportunity.

My husband and I were negotiating for a new car the day before my first chemotherapy treatment. I told them we had to conclude quickly because I had to go home and rest before my first chemo and I wanted their best offer immediately. The manager handled the remaining discussions and we got the price lowered!

I had a door-to-door salesperson ring my bell the other day. I opened the door with a scarf on my head and as she began her spiel I announced that it wasn't a good time for me as I am undergoing chemo. She smiled and wished me a nice day and left.

My niece's daughter was visiting. She wanted something to which my husband and I said 'No'. She explained that we had to give it to her because she was a little kid. I told her that cancer trumps little kid and to forget it. She gave up and began encouraging me to play the 'cancer card' whenever anyone disagreed with me.

When my husband gets annoyed with something I've done (rare, but it does happen), I just point to my chest and say 'cancer'. Ends every argument since my diagnosis.

Shameless, yes. Offensive to some, yes. Will I stop? Not a chance! There isn't too much good about this experience, I intend to milk it for all its worth!!

Chickadee
  • I, too, am not a big fan of
    I, too, am not a big fan of 'pink'. My sister (also a BC survivor) suggested that she and I and our daughters all go and get a pink ribbon tattoo. I said thanks, but no thanks. I'm not really the tattoo type and if I were to get one it wouldn't be a pink ribbon!

I have, however, taken to playing the 'cancer card' at every opportunity.

My husband and I were negotiating for a new car the day before my first chemotherapy treatment. I told them we had to conclude quickly because I had to go home and rest before my first chemo and I wanted their best offer immediately. The manager handled the remaining discussions and we got the price lowered!

I had a door-to-door salesperson ring my bell the other day. I opened the door with a scarf on my head and as she began her spiel I announced that it wasn't a good time for me as I am undergoing chemo. She smiled and wished me a nice day and left.

My niece's daughter was visiting. She wanted something to which my husband and I said 'No'. She explained that we had to give it to her because she was a little kid. I told her that cancer trumps little kid and to forget it. She gave up and began encouraging me to play the 'cancer card' whenever anyone disagreed with me.

When my husband gets annoyed with something I've done (rare, but it does happen), I just point to my chest and say 'cancer'. Ends every argument since my diagnosis.

Shameless, yes. Offensive to some, yes. Will I stop? Not a chance! There isn't too much good about this experience, I intend to milk it for all its worth!!

Chickadee

KUDOS!!!
    Hooray for you, Chickadee!

When asked recently at a check-out stand if I wanted to donate to cancer I yanked off my head wrap and said, "I think I have given enough already, but thank you." I wonder if I asked for the money if they'd give it to me.

As for the door-to-door types...I have a framed "Do Not Disturb" sign on my wreath. The food delivery guys know I expect them.

I admire your audacity.
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 355 Member
    Options

KUDOS!!!
    Hooray for you, Chickadee!

When asked recently at a check-out stand if I wanted to donate to cancer I yanked off my head wrap and said, "I think I have given enough already, but thank you." I wonder if I asked for the money if they'd give it to me.

As for the door-to-door types...I have a framed "Do Not Disturb" sign on my wreath. The food delivery guys know I expect them.

I admire your audacity.

I love the check-out stand
    I love the check-out stand story! It would have been worth the price of admission to see the clerk's face, and OMG if you had asked her to give you the money they'd collected!

Seriously, it has become a running joke in my family that Mom is shameless about crying cancer. I think it makes it easier for all of us in some twisted way!
  • winsomebulldog
    winsomebulldog Member Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My first cancer idiot encounter
    First, I want to say I support you completely. Sometimes we all need to just vent a little... or maybe a lot!
    Okay, so I was in a store today and they were having a very nice sale on their accessories. I haven't even started my chemo yet, so I've still got my hair, but I know the baldness is coming and I saw these scarves that were just so pretty. A lovely green one and another light blue, both with butterflies on them. I thought I might as well get them for the inevitable day when my head will need a cover. As I'm checking out, the girl behind the counter mentioned how pretty they were. I agreed. Then she asked me if I was going to wear them around my neck and I said, "Actually, I'm getting ready for cancer treatment." She came back with, "Oh, that'll be so pretty." I just shook my head. Kinda laughed to myself as I thought, "this is just the beginning."
    God Bless
    Jenn
  • winsomebulldog
    winsomebulldog Member Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Funny you should say that...
    Since coming out of the closet and daring to go topless without a head wrap, I have noticed more people staring at my chest. One side resembles a 50+ year old woman that breast fed, the other a 12 year old boy. I am pondering the possibilities for Halloween. What is sad to me, I actually look reasonably good in pink. *sigh*

Anyway, this phenomenon has me considering a t-shirt...

"Is it real or is it prosthesis?"

LOL
    Just... ROFLOL! :D
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Options
    different view on the pink and the tshirt
    Ever since chemo I have felt very self concsious in public because of my hair. I don't want people to think that I puroposely would have hair like this so wearing the t shirts that say "Im a survivor" make me feel like I am explaining why I look the way I do. I know it sounds silly but its how I feel.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    elm3544 said:

different view on the pink and the tshirt
    Ever since chemo I have felt very self concsious in public because of my hair. I don't want people to think that I puroposely would have hair like this so wearing the t shirts that say "Im a survivor" make me feel like I am explaining why I look the way I do. I know it sounds silly but its how I feel.

I think everyone has to do
    I think everyone has to do what thing that gets us through for sure.
    My family laughs about the cancer card thing too. My time with that is diminishing, as my hair just looks like a short cut. very short mind you. I know this because my hair is entirely different, and I've lost so much weight, that I dont look like my drivers lisence(sp) at all. so when I present it to the store clerks, (like today at the verizon store) I feel the need to explain. I have been told lately "you would never know" I asked my husband, and he said you used to be gray and frail looking. now you have color and dont look weak. I am glad to let go of it mind you . It did get us out of a speeding ticket, as my husband was driving too fast to get me home. I was in severe pain, when the policeman stopped us he looked at my scarf and said "getting her home is the most important thing" so kind. Of course my husband slowed down too.